♡ a guide to japanese ♡ thread for japanese learners

Ooh, I bet that’d be fun!

I was planning to do a high school exchange this or next year but covid.
with any luck Japan’s going to fully open up soon and COVID will go away :crossed_fingers: i’ll probably do an exchange in college instead as well

1 Like

Masterlist of Resources and being a resource itself, this document itself has helped many people learn an insane amount of Japanese in a year. (it was posted on reddit over a year ago and got a lot of upvotes, awards and recognition) I personally will be following it and will give weekly - monthly updates. It’s nearly 100+ pages and can be transferred over to most languages (like the topics, what to start with, the schedule, etc. etc.) It is so useful for not only Japanese learners but language learners in general >:3 honestly it’s amazing and I think anyone who actually wants to learn japanese will find it useful.

@Students

2 Likes

Going to post my Japanese and English notes on Phonetics by the end of the week, I got numbers 1 done and 2 almost finished (Basics and Prosody) and about to start 3 (Phonetics)!! It’s a really interesting part and going through further than the basics is really helpful imho <33

1 Like

GUYS I GOT THE GENKI TEXTBOOK IRL SO I CAN ACC FOLLOW A GOOD SCHEDULE

anyways i have barely studied japanese so we coming back to this

3 Likes

EYYY THAT’S GREAT
share what you learn with us?

1 Like

WaniKani is a great resource for Kanji! I stopped Japanese to learn French, parce que je vais bientot habiter en France, but it is great!

It does the spaced practice thing that I mentioned in my recent blog post is super useful for remembering things easier. So, you earn way more efficiently than you would on your own.

Also, Duolingo should never be used to learn grammar. Use it only to try to string sentences together once you already know the grammar. Learn it separately, because sometimes its bizarre on there!

2 Likes

Genki is amazing! It is for uni students though so make sure you’re supplementing it with your own vocab if you want to learn more casual Japanese! I recommend the free app Drops for that!

2 Likes

ofc ofc ofc

oh yeah for sure, i’ve got a bunch of anki sets with mined vocabulary from anime, youtube videos, etc.
i also have the the rtk anki set so imma start working through that. i started it a while ago but lowkey got bored of it lol

1 Like

yey thanks!

also i feel like this thread may interest @winterswhite, he’s completely self taught and prepping to do the N3 on July so i think we could exchange info here

2 Likes

I used WaniKani in my first-year Japanese course when we started learning kanji

I found it helpful for memorizing the kanji

2 Likes

I am :3 I’m really really hoping I pass, I don’t wanna make a fool of myself lmao

But yeah, I’ve really gone about it haphazardly and I’ve kinda been wanting to take a more structured approach to learning? So I may read back in this thread and see what resources work for me.

Ramble about how I've been learning

I kinda started in 2017 learning hiragana and katakana on duolingo, but I realized really quickly that it’s a terrible resource for anything past hiragana and katakana, so I quit. Even though my friends at the time did recommend some others I should try, I Did Not, and I’ve just kinda been “brute forcing” it since then? But I’m definitely a unique case ww
I never studied Japanese grammar because it’s pretty similar to that of my native language, so it came to me naturally, so all I really had to learn was vocab, and after quitting Duolingo I took a long break from studying it
… after which I continued only because I had started playing Japanese-only gacha games and wanted to be able to understand things for myself. I looked up word meanings on jisho.org as I needed to and slowly started learning vocab and kanji, and that has been… my entire approach to it www
I do interact w a lot of Japanese media though (and not much anime actually lol) so I’ve picked up on natural speech and cultural things from that? And… yeah

I do also translate a lot of things from JPN->ENG as a hobby though, and I primarily use that to practice and learn kanji rn

3 Likes

rooting for you~

you’ve worked so hard and done so much!

2 Likes

OH SAME i think i learned hiragana on duolingo when i was literally in middle school and just been operating off that LMFAO
i did study it properly but i’ve never been consistent so everytime i go back i forget a bit and it’s like ahhh omg i can’t read
so atp i just read through it ig, most of the stuff has audio so i just connect the sounds with the kana i recognize and work it out and it’s been decent

all of my kanji study has been through rtk and the stuff i know from learning hanzi (chinese characters) . rtk is cool but i think i could’ve definitely balanced it out with other stuff. (as in i read things literally… take "white year/age " for example)

3 Likes

I started on duolingo during the first COVID lockdown cuz I was bored and then I took proper courses in my last year of high school and first year of uni

(I couldn’t take it this year because it conflicted with one of my mandatory courses)

3 Likes

Thank youuu <3
I’ll do my best heh

That’s fair yeah, as a learner of… [counts on fingers] 5 languages, consistency is… definitely key, or else you forget everything

Ooh, how good of a resource would you say that has been for you? I’ve seen a lot of mixed reviews myself

2 Likes

i know you will

1 Like

oooh, which languages? but yeah i’m not all that consistent rip. jumping between spn/cn/jpn has me kinda all over the place. trying to get consistent because it’ll just be a better habit overall for my life

it depends. i use an anki deck, i don’t follow his book or nunna of that. luckily japanese learners are very dedicated so the deck has EVERYTHING, all the readings, common vocab words, various examples, the radicals, etc. etc. if you follow the book on it’s own you’ll miss all of that. he tell syou the kanji, then the mnemoic/story for the basic meaning

and you know this already but bruteforcing kanji never works and i feel like rtk’s method alone just leads into it. especially since i know more hanzi than i know kanji, i read kanji literally (99th year = white year) and i think that happens more when you just memorize the kanji alone. as in any language, learning compound words and the word usage in a sentence is integral. but with vocab and context it’s better. so : good way to brute force the kanji/memorize the basic meaning but if you use ONLY rtk and not those add-ons like anki decks or guides made by the community you’ll end up doing lots of retracing

Some of these are past tense, but Urdu (I count it as a language I’ve learned bc it’s my third language even if I “lived” in it lol), French, Japanese, and now I’m working on Spanish and Arabic (albeit slowly)!

And yeah this is fair, though the Anki stuff sounds really useful!

2 Likes

I’m getting Genki 2 next week ((:

1 Like

Japanese fits into my schedule this year so fingers crossed I get to take it

Duolingo’s hiragana and katakana features are pretty good for learning the characters with the proper stroke order in the hand-written style so I’d definitely recommend it - I even use it just to practice

4 Likes