Bridgerton Miscellaneous Thread

Beige Vintage Traveler Twitter Header

Will I be unable to see you again anymore?

As Orpheus’ words graced her ears, Belle felt the gentle caress of the breeze upon her cheeks, and the only thing she could concentrate on were the flowers and her own thoughts. It had been quite a while since Josephine’s marriage, and Belle found herself distanced from her sister. Their relationship had soured over Josephine’s reluctance to introduce Belle to Marquis Antoine Blanc, her new brother-in-law. Belle’s letters reaching out to Josephine had gone unanswered, and today, Josephine had finally returned home to introduce the see the family and introduce Belle who had not yet been introduced to her nephews. While the embers of her anger still smoldered, Belle focused her attention on her little nephews, ignoring Josephine as Josephine had ignored her.

Belle knew that such a thing would happen, that Josephine and her’s relationship would get strained when Josephine got married and that was why Belle had been less than appreciative when Josephine had debuted and was awaiting suitors and that was another one of the many reasons, and trust Belle had a lot, on why she did not like the idea of marriage.

Moreover, Belle had began to think that her relationship with her sister was as doomed as a ship caught in a tempestuous sea and that a lot of things between them could not go back to being the same, which was probably the truth, though when Orpheus had said to talk to her sister, Belle felt something within her. “Wait, what do,” Belle was about to begin, but Orpheus had already left. Great! The one time Belle wanted Orpehus near her, he had to disappear.

@DandelionKate (mentioned)

1 Like

November 15th, 1807

Corin’s 18th birthday

slow down you crazy child…

(such a perfect song for corin during these years. def recommend listening)

It had been another year, and Corin’s birthday celebration had died down to a soft hum in Blackwood Manor. After Sebastian is put to bed, the whole house seemed more empty.

This year, Corin had wished for something very particular. A blessing.

“Mama…” Corin started, rising from his position by the hearth. “You normally take your strolls under moonlight. Might I join you this evening?” Corin gave a soft, forced smile, extending his hand to his mother. It took every ounce of strength he had to keep his fingers from shaking with the force of the nerves in his chest.

“Of course, my love.” Corin’s mother stood, and they both moved toward the front entrance to don more acceptable clothing for the chill of the November air.

As they opened the large, black, wooden double doors to the manor, a sharp blast of frigid air whipped their hair from their faces. There was a frosty dampness along the path, yet snow had not yet begun to stick.

“Come. I shall take you down my favorite path.” Corin’s mother extended her arm, and Corin softly looped his own through hers. They began down the side road leading away from town.

“Although I very much enjoy your company, my dear, why have you asked to join me this night?” Marie asked, her eyes fixated on Corin’s that seemed to dart everywhere except to her own.

“I have something I would like to discuss with you, mother.” Corin attempted to swallow the lump in his throat, his palms growing sweatier despite the chill of the air. “It is about some friends at academy.” Corin stopped short, effectively stopping his mother as well whose arm was still linked in his.

“Well, go on.” His mother chuckled softly, trying to relieve her son’s stress.

Corin’s face tightened, his breath shallow and sharp.

“I am engaged.” He spat out, searching his mother’s face for hints of anger or frustration.

For a moment that is how they stood. Both searching each others eyes for more, neither one moving.

Marie broke the silence first.

“Do you love her?” She asked, pulling Corin along as they continued to walk.

“More than life itself, yes.” Corin breathed, his eyes focused on the moon. The same moon he and Arista had danced under together. The same moon that kept their secrets hidden. The same one she was likely watching tonight, just as he did.

“And you are marrying her out of love? Not out of…necessity?” His mother prodded, clearly hinting at a wed locked child.

“Of course, mama. I am a gentleman. I would never…” Corin’s face grew red. Talking of such matters with his mother was not something he would ever grow fond of.

“Then you have my blessing. I assume that is why you are telling me this alone.” Marie smiled, squeezing Corin’s arm tighter. “Although, I do hope you are both true in your devotion. Marrying at such a young age requires a lifetime of commitment, not a schoolyard romance.” As Marie spoke, they neared a cliffside. Marie stopped, looked out at the soft glow of France whose candles were still dimly lit among the night. Her gaze followed upward, the stars sprinkling the skies in yellow, mimicking the glow of the candles below. It was often hard to see where the skies met the ground on nights like this as the speckles of light flowed into each other on the horizon.

“You must be devoted with every breath. As committed to your life with her as the stars are to shining for us. That is how you will find peace in this life.” Marie glanced at Corin who suddenly had tears running down his cheeks. Marie placed her hand softly on his cheek, wiping away his tears.

“I am scared, mama.” Corin breathed, leaning into her palm. “I am nothing compared to her. I have no title. I have nothing to offer. If her father denies us I-“ Corin’s breath caught in his chest as he began to hyperventilate.

“Hush now, child…” Marie cooed, pulling Corin into an embrace.

“You have your heart.” Marie wrapped her hand around Corin’s, placing them both on his chest. “A heart worth one hundred titles. If your lover can sense that, her father will too, I am sure of it.” Marie gave a soft kiss on Corin’s palm, looking back out at the sky.

“Take peace in the skies, my son, and the world that fills us with riches such as love. Appreciate that you are of a rare few in this lifetime who can experience such joys.” Marie sighed, looking back to Corin. “Love her with everything you can give her. That will be enough.” Marie smiled, squeezing Corin’s hand lightly.

“And if it is not?” Corin asked, wiping his final tears from his cheeks.

“Then we shall walk here again. And we shall talk. And we will watch the stars fall to the ground together. Each night. Until it is enough for someone new.” Marie turned to Corin, her face firm.

“You are my son. Never forget that. There is no heartbreak you cannot overcome. There is no loss you cannot bear. If this girl and her father do not see your heart and your strength as I do, then we shall find someone who will. However, I am sure you will succeed. It is not the Blackwood way to lose a business agreement.” Marie gave her son a wink. “Come, let us turn back.” Marie guided Corin from the overlook and back toward the path they came from. “It seems we have guests to prepare for, do we not?” Marie smiled, and her smile seemed to infect Corin’s sullen disposition as well. They moved back toward Blackwood Manor, smiling, arm in arm.

Corin was unaware at the time, that it would, indeed, be his final walk with his mother.

November 15th, 1807

Corin’s 18th birthday

…5 days before the fire…

2 Likes

{ 5 months ago / Hastingston estate }
⎯⎯ ୨୧ ⎯⎯

”No-“ ”Margo-“ ”No,“ this was not the first time Margaret tuned out everything around her, refusing to listen to what someone was saying or at least trying to say to her, including her beloved older sister that was chasing her through the back door. Of course she would give you a chance and try to hear you out but the moment she hears something she doesn’t like or thinks of something better she could do at that moment, you’ll completely lose her attention. One might find that rude but if you’re close to Margaret it’s something you know you can always expect, something her family got used to and no matter how many times they tell her she needs to work on that she will always ignore them. Especially if she hears “husband” or “marriage” somewhere in their sentence. ”You’ll never marry if you keep behaving that way.” “You’ll learn how to listen to your husband.”

Let’s start with a simple, easy question - why would Margo ever have to listen to someone else? Someone she “has to marry one day” because that’s what everyone expects of a lady like herself? Another question being why does she have to marry at all? Why should she be so excited about her first presentations to the queen? In Margo’s humble opinion that was one of the most ridiculous things she’s seen other ladies do, including her own sister just a few years ago. Even as a child Margaret was never fond of that idea, that oh so special event. But that’s not to say that Margaret doesn’t believe in love and doesn’t want to find someone who’ll treat her the way she sees her father treating her mother - it’s just the way everything plays out, the huge deal everyone makes out of it. Letting the queen judge her, watching gentlemen pick between girls, pick whichever one would fit most into whatever they planned for the future. Well, Margaret has a whole future planned out for herself and it doesn’t include getting married so young to someone she knows nothing about.

”You know we all want only best for you, love, why don’t you trust us on this?“ Her long waves now bouncing behind her as she walked down the stairs that led to the back garden, nothing but a simple, flowy dress on her as she carried a big basket with her gardening tools, Margo already forgot her sister was still behind her, still trying to talk to her. Not something you’d see often on the Hastingston estate considering Barbara, Margaret’s sister was no longer living there - someone chasing Margaret through the garden being a strange thing and not her carrying something she can let one of her brothers, or even better, gardeners do. But that is Margaret Hastingston for you.

”Can you leave that for a second and just look at m- We have gardeners for that, you know that, right?“ See? Even Barbara agrees. ”Margar-“ ”I can’t beli- How many times have I told Jude not to step on- This is getting ridicu- And where are my glov-“ Mumbling more to herself, only acknowledging that someone was next to her, Margaret dropped down to her knees not minding how dirty her dress will get, putting down the heavy basket. ”Margar-“ ”I could’ve sworn they were in here, unless-“ ”MARGARET!“ ”WHAT?“ A very common conversation you might overhear between two ladies, isn’t it? Raising her own voice Margo looked up at her sister only to find her sister’s serious gaze already on her. ” I apologize - how may I help your sister, dear?“ A loud sigh left Margaret’s mouth as she attempted to continue what she started, or what she wanted to do before she was so rudely interrupted, but this time listening to what Barbara wanted to tell her.

”Father and mother would be very proud of you Margo-“ ”Proud that I put on a pretty dress and stood in front of the queen with my pretties smile, having everyone staring at how pretty I am-“ ”Don’t do that-“ ”Proud of letting a stranger lay a hand on me oh so gently, of marrying me because I come from a good famil-“ ”That’s not- Can you not- Don’t do that. You’re making it sound like we’re asking you to do God knows what. I wouldn’t be here, trying to help you if wasn’t happy with where I ended up. And no, don’t try to tell me I was lucky and that doesn’t mean every girl gets her happy ending, I know how you think, I’m just asking you to do this one thing, just this one time and if you hate it as much as you think you’ll hate it then fine! That is completely acceptable, just don’t be so stubborn about it… Don’t you want to… Remember what we did when we were kids- ”You mean - remember what I made you do when we were kids?“ ”I will help you find the most fitting dress, teach you everything you need to know, we will have such a pleasant time together… Please, Margo. Looking back up at her sister, she found her stretching her arm out for her, the subtle pout on her lips that would make everyone give in. It sometimes works on Margo too but she knows it’s only her way of trying to get what she wants - this one time Margo will let it slide. ”I don’t promise anything,“ taking her sisters hand, she stood up, looking down at her muddy dress without a care; but not the same thing could be said about Barbara. Her expression changed to something that represented disgust she tried to hide but obviously couldn’t. ”I can accept that for now.“

5 Likes

April 1811 - 6 months before the season start

Albina sat in the living room of the Northwick estate, her sketchbook in hand, surrounded by her mother and siblings. Her thoughts began to drift away from the idle chatter around her. It had been months since she had received any word from her dear twin sister, Florinda. With each passing week, Albina's worry for her sister's well-being grew. She had expected at least a handful of letters by now, but not a single one had arrived. Albina had tried writing to her sister, but the uselessness of it all became apparent. She didn't even know where Florinda was residing, so her letters would never reach their intended recipient.

The urge to take action had been building within Albina for weeks, and the day before today, she had determined it was time to act. She had felt like she needed to do something, anything, to find her missing twin sister. She came to the conclusion perhaps a detective could help. Someone with a different perspective, someone who might see what Albina had missed. So, she had written Master Bruce Armstrong, son of renowned detective Graham Armstrong, in the hope he could be of any assistance.

Now, as she was in the living room sitting the day after, the postman arrived. She rushed to the door to accept the post from the him, before anyone else could see and open the letter. She hid the letter in her dress, until she could carefully unfolded the letter it in the comfort of her room. Even the way the letter had been folded, it was a puzzle to unfold. She enjoyed the little challenge however. When after working on it a minute she had managed to open it, she read the words carefully:

It was quite cryptic, almost as if he was challenging her intelligence. She assumed he had been able to deduct the time when the postman would reach her house, so they were to meet right around now. It took her a few seconds to realise what he meant with the pantheon of wind meets land however. She quickly deducted it must be some type of temple, something having to do with gods. Wind, wind, she thought a minute, then it hit her, the temple at the Kensington Gardens, it was called the Temple of Aeolus. Of course. It must be, Aeolus is the protector of the winds. Albina had gotten so caught up in feeling excited about solving this cryptic message, she had almost forgotten what this was about. She needed to think, how was she able to leave the house at this moment? She did not want to raise any suspicion about the endeavours she was undertaking. She walked back to the living room, and then addressed her mother and her brother Harvey with grace, Albina spoke, “My dearest Mother, Harvey, please take care in my absence. I am to meet with Adeline and shall return before the evening meal.”

Before leaving the house, Albina inspected herself in the mirror. Her maid had done an excellent job with her hair this morning, the complicated braids complemented her pale green morning dress beautifully. As she reached for her jacket, her eyes caught a small jam stain on her dress. Normally, she would change immediately, but today, her priority was her meeting with Master Bruce Armstrong. While he lacked noble lineage, Albina trusted in his abilities to assist her in this case, given his father’s reputation as an excellent detective.

However, her father, when he was still alive, had always prepared her for any danger. As a result, she concealed a small knife in one of the many pockets hidden within her corset. While she was willing to risk her safety to find out what had happened to her twin, she wasn’t willing to be foolish or naive. She understood the risks she faced – meeting a complete stranger alone, unaware of his true intentions, and being caught alone with a man, which could tarnish her reputation irreparably. She needed to be prepared and cautious.

The Kensington Gardens were not far from the Northwick estate. Normally, she would have taken the 15-minute walk, but due to the urgency of their letters, Albina had opted to hire a Hackney carriage. She offered the driver double the regular fare as an incentive for his discretion about her solo journey, as a lady that was not most acceptable. After a silent five-minute ride, she arrived at the Kensington Gardens. She took a deep breath, feeling a sense of nervousness. This meeting was her last hope of reestablishing contact with her twin sister, she could not help however, to be also curious about him, him she was meeting. With the way he had challenged her thus far.

Albina walked along the secluded, forested paths until she reached the Temple of Aeolus. This remote location was ideal for their meeting, she took a deep breath in relief, no one was around. They would be able to talk her in trust. Finding an empty bench, she sat down and reviewed her notes one last time. She wanted to be fully prepared for any questions that Master Bruce Armstrong might pose, even the smallest of details could be off massive importance.

@Bluecookies ~ Bruce

2 Likes

1748, Selewynn Manor

“Mother did I not tell you? I said you would be pleasantly surprised.” Gleamed Florence as she was taking off her antique jewellery.
“No, I believe you said I would be surprised, nothing about it being pleasant.” Joked her mother.
“Sometimes I feel as if he is the one that would eventually save us from the debt father left us in.”
“My dear, you’ve only known him for little over a fortnight and already you see him that way?”
“What can I say? He makes a fast impression.”
“Don’t let the first impression of him guide your future opinions. Furthermore you must consider he is charming and clever with you to get your favor in order to ensure he is the one to buy the house? I’ve seen superior men do worse for far smaller prospects.”
Florence couldn’t help but entertain the idea this might be true. All she knew of him could’ve all this time been a character he played so that she and her family might like him enough to consider only him for the house. However she remebered something he mentioned to her in passing quickly enough to shut the idea down.
“I understand you would think that mother, as you don’t know him well enough to know his intentions if he should not be the choise for the house. He told me of his plans to build a house on his land. A man who so desparately wants to buy a house he uses charm to trick his way into getting it, would never admit there was no urgency or necessity to get the house by admiting he has plans if all else fails.”
“Oh, he said that? Well in that case I am surprised. I didn’t think he would be so charming, respectful and nice withouth being cunning. Thinking about it now, I suppose the story about him cheating his way into that money is far fetched, knowing he’s not that cunning.”
Florence could hear a heavy sigh from her mother before noticing her coming closer towards her in the reflection on the mirror. Her mother place a hand on her shoulder as Florence was sitting in front of the mirror, before kissing her forhead and saying “Oh dear. The way you speak of the man makes me believe I will be saying goodbye to you soon. It would also save us if you marry him, so for your sake I will try and make your father understand everything you get by marrying him. Are you quite determined, my dear?”
“Mother? Were my actions so transparent that you…” her mother stopped her with a nod indicating yes.
“I can tell your mind is quite made up, but your father and your adoring object neither know of it.”
Florence sighed with relief, and her mother left her to finish her nighttime routine alone.

Meanwhile, at Mr. Brantley’s lodgings

The elder Mr. Brantley was waiting patiently for his son to return from his dinner. He didn’t know if he should be anxious that something happened to him or if he should be happy he was in their company until so late in the night. The sudden commotion outside the doors awoke Mr. Brantley and he sprung to the door, opening them as Harold was abbout to knock.
“Father? You’re awake still?” Asked Harold.
“Naturally, how could I sleep when this evening means so much to your name?” This response made Harold smile as he entered the room.
“If you worry so much for me now, I cannot begin to imagine how you felt when I was away at war.”
“Harold, I will tell you honestly. If you ever put me in a state of such worry again, I’ll be too weak to bear it. Had you been at war for longer I’m not so sure I would’ve bore it. My disease didn’t fade when you got me the care, it faded when I stopped worrying for you.” Harold looked around not knowing what to say. “How do I tell you …” Harold sat down with a serious expression on his face, and with his hand he suggested his father would be better of sitting as well. With a sigh he continued talking. “I assume you realize that I’ve planned on going back to war.” His father’s face was a mix of conflicting emotions.
“But son … Why?” He asked with tears in his eyes “Do you perhpas enjoy it?”
“No father, I don’t enjoy it one bit … Father do you remember when I came to you, in person, before going to war, and gave you a few pounds just so you could have a little money to yourself if I end up losing it all?”
“How could I forget? All my life I’ve been working hard so that we could survive, and having barely nothing to keep at the end of the week, and then you came in and gave me several pounds, which is more than I could ever have saved working like I did. At that moment I was so proud of you.”
"Well father, about a month before I visited you I transfered the few pounds to you, but it never arrived. See, the bank I decided to transfer it by was owned by the friend of the man who lost to me in the gambling party. They made a deal they would take my money once I’ve placed it there for safekeeping, give it back to the man, and fabricate a story about a burglary when I come to find out my money is gone. His father gasped but soon composed himself.
“I wouldn’t put it past to rich people to be so cunning and evil.” He said. “I still don’t understand how this connects to you going back to war.” His father asked.
“When I first went to war, it was both to earn some money should it all be taken away by another plan as cruel as the previous one … and to get away from people trying to hunt me down. I’ve conducted a last will and testament and I’ve sorted everything before going of course. However, in war I discovered that I now have the opportunity and the money to work as a redcoat officer fulltime and it felt a simpler feat than hiding and playing mind games.”
The father sat unresponsive, with only teary eyes depicting his emotions.
“I soon came to realize that it would be less dangerous if I returned the money and continued as an officer cosindering the amount I would earn would still be considerably larger than I would’ve with manual labor, and It would still allow us … all of us to live comfortably.”
“Son, I would rather live the rest of my life the way I did than see you in such danger again.”
“It’s not dangerous, I’d say being in fear of mainipulation and everybody trying to get you would be more dangerous than being a redcoat officers during a period of no wars.”
“NONSENSE!” Shouted the voice from another room which neither were aware was there. Mary entered the room and said “My boy … You’ve never strayed far from danger. It was never a concern if something was dangerous or not becuase you always found a clever way to not get hurt no matter how dangerous something was. Not a month ago you were talking about those wars as if it was the most harrowing thing you’ve ever had to do. And now you want to go back to it? Puppycocks. My boy, I’ve always been aware that once you fear the dangers of something you fear it because it could happen to somebody you love.” His father realized what his mother said was true and he resulted to naming the only person he could think of that would fit the bill. “You know darling, you are right. it must be Miss. Cropper.”
“Yes of course, the young lady who invited you to meet her parents no less. I’d say that would be enough silly talk and get to wooing as soon as may be.”
“Mother, father, I cannot simply woo her like any other gentleman.”
“Why not? You are a gentlmen, at least in her eyes you are.” This proclamation by his father was followed by a few seconds long silence.
"Do you really think so? Harold asked with both hope and tears in his eyes.
“I’ve met her, and I could see it in the way she smiled when she was with you. Trust me, when one is in love it’s evident to everybody but the person they love. You are transparent that way too, my boy … to everybody but to her.” The room was silent again, which was a curtesy by Mr. and Mrs. Brantley in order for Harold to process what he’s just heard.
The silence was broken by his mother “Now, get to bed, both of you. It’s very late and I won’t be dealing with the two of you tired and angry in the morning.” After blowing our the few candles that were lit in the room except for one on the end table next to Harold, the parents left him in the dimly lit room to think as much as he needs to. The couch is where he chose to sleep after buring out the last candle, and although he was becoming weary his mind was still occupied with thoughts of Florence.

@Madilnel - mentioned the bank

Opening ball, 1789, London

Mervinia was attending her first ever ball. She felt excitement, ever since she was little she had been dreaming of getting married and having children, well, more so it had been pressured upon her to think in such way. Dressed up in an ornate ballgown, a robe à l’anglaise retroussée, underneath which multiple hoops were hidden. It had been more than a challenge to get each of the elements of her outfit perfectly in place. She looked quite the part however, and she had received multiple compliments on her appearance already, from the maid, to the cook, her family, even the cabman had complimented her.
It lead to her walking into the room full of confidence, along her father and mother. As soon as the first gentleman had tried to approach her parents for a conversation however, Mervinia felt intimidated. She had not ever interacted much with any gentlemen from around her age, except for her brother.

Among the crowd of people, her eyes stumbled upon a young gentlemen. One whom she found most attractive. He however, seemed to be much more occupied flirting with who Mervinia thought must be someone who his courting. She could not help but feel some jealousy, for such a thing was something she desired herself. When his eyes met hers, she stared at her feet. She did not want to give him the feeling she had been staring at him. She started feeling embarrassed, had he noticed her staring? She quickly joined into the conversation her parents were currently invested in. Nothing that interested Mervinia too much, mostly about the most recent political updates. However, she would not be making a fool of herself by giving the gentleman more of her attention, and messing up further.

It was not long however, before she saw him approach her from the corner of her eye. Immediately, nervousness was all she felt. She was certain she was going to be told off for starting at him. The words he spoke, they took her by surprise. It did not seem like he was calling her off, merely that he was inquiring about something she had no knowledge on. It was a confusing question, a painting? The idea of her face being on some gallery wall sounded weird to her.

“I beg your pardon, but I must confess that I have never posed for such a thing. To be perfectly candid, I am uncertain whether I would relish the notion of my countenance being displayed for the public’s scrutiny in an art gallery.” she carefully looked at him, hiding most her face behind the detailed fan she was carrying with her. His hair was certainly attractive, with its dark tones and curls, but she could not help but feel the way he had started this conversation, was a weird way to get acquainted with a lady. She could however see her father, but even more so her mother were more than pleased she was talking to the gentlemen, whose name she did not even know. “Sir, might I humbly request the honor of knowing your name?” she said, mostly out of formality and to please her family.

2 Likes

Darius smiled. “You are right, looking at you up close you don’t look like the model in the painting. My mistake. I must’ve mistook one breathtaking beauty for another.” As she continued and asked for his name, he realized he was so occupied with how to approach her, he started flirting withouth introducing himself. The realization followed with an “Ah” which was followed by actual real words.
“How could I have been so presumptious withouth even giving you my name. I am Darius Cuthbert. Maybe you’ve heard of me, maybe you haven’t, but I can assure you I haven’t heard of you although I am please to meet you. Now, fair is fair and I shall like to know who I am so pleased to meet.” He continued, hoping to find out the mysterious quality about her that keeps him wondering.

@Jass - Mervinia

2 Likes

Mervinia was not sure how to feel about Darius. She felt flattered by the compliment Darius was giving her, but at the same time, was he not just talking to another lady? She gave him a small nod, while fanning herself and touching her hair with her other hand, indicating she had heard what he had said, but not quite eager to reply to him. She was not quite sure what this gentlemen wanted from her, why was he even talking to her in first place?

“Mr. Cuthbert, your introduction is most gracious, while I cannot say I have had the pleasure of having heard of your name, I appreciate your kind words. I am Mervinia Northwick, and I am pleased to have this opportunity to meet you. While I may not possess the honor of widespread recognition, I am certain our conversation will be both pleasant and engaging.” She looked at her fan as she spoke these words. In reality, Mervinia was mostly talking out of politeness and according to social norms, not necessary excited about this conversation. "This is quite a lovely venue, isn’t it? Have you attended similar gatherings before? She hoped in this manner she might be able to gather more information about the lady he was previously talking to, without being too direct.

2 Likes

8 years ago- how Harrison got his scar. Somewhere in Ireland

Background song: Born to die by Lana del rey

In the dimly lit room, their clandestine meetings were shrouded in secrecy, a dance of shadows and whispered desires. Harrison knew he should heed her words, the warnings that hung heavy in the air like the scent of forbidden fruit. But love, that most beguiling of emotions, held him captive in its relentless grip.

The poets, those masters of verse and metaphor, had never captured the essence of a heart swollen with love, pulsating within the confines of a body too small to contain it. Harrison’s love for Katrina defied the conventions of society, a force that laughed in the face of reason, an unyielding flame that consumed his very soul.

He stood there, a lord incognito, dressed as a commoner, drawn to the allure of a life unburdened by the strictures of his station. The common folk, he believed, possessed a freedom that the aristocracy could only dream of, yet their freedom came at the cost of opportunities denied.

“Lord Harrison, I thought I made myself clear,” Katrina’s voice, laced with a mixture of anger and longing, pierced the air as she perched her dance shoes atop a dusty cupboard. Her eyes, once filled with dreams of a different life, now held the weight of years stolen from her. Kidnapped and transplanted to a foreign land, forced into a life not of her choosing, she had become a performer, a pawn in a game of cruelty and avarice.

Katrina, a name stolen from her, replaced with Erin, the alias of her torment. But to Harrison, she was forever Katrina, a name that carried the echoes of her stolen innocence and the memories of a past that refused to be erased.

She was 9 and 10 now, Harrison was 6 and 10. When she was kidnapped Katrina was just eleven and her husband, her kidnapper, was in his 40s, an ugly thin man with a beard that does connect and droppy eyes.

“You did,” Harrison nodded,

“So then why are you here? Lord Harrison why?” She called him Lord instead of just Harrison because as soon as they met, she had seen through his disguised. He had went backstage to talk to her while her husband, her manager was not looking and she had asked him whether it was common for noble men to dress up like commoners, and asked him where he was from because he did not seem to be an irishman or at least fully one- Harrison had told her he was English, son of a former marquis and now earl. He had told her a lot about himself even when she had not asked because she had quite the eyes and aura that made you want to tell her everything. She listened attentively, she asked questions but did not share her own story and when Harrison had asked her whether or not she would talk. she had simply smiled sadly and told him to listen to her dance more attentively and left as her husband called for her.

After that day, Harrison would visit her home while her ‘husband’ was not around, and they had developed a close friendship that threatened to venture into something more. Katrina had told him a lot about herself, she did not use words- no, she only used words when words where necessary and Harrison needed an explanation, she used dance instead. She would dance to tell a story about her life, she would use her body movement to tell him all about her- her and her ‘husband’ the old man were not legally married, but to the people Cian Walsh, her husband knew, they were married- husband and wife though Katrina would never consider such a vile man a husband. She was from the east of Africa, her favorite color was a light red which suited her quite well and her favorite food was Injera, a traditional dish from where she was from. She had asked to know more about him, because she felt like he was hiding more, he had already told her so much but she desired more so Harrison told her more- he told her about the ‘business’ he was doing, how much he cared for them but could not let himself be seen by them not yet, because he fears that he would get too attached to them if that was the case. That he would want to visit them everyday and one way or the other people will be bound to find out about ‘them’ if that was the case and things would go south and that was not want Harrison wanted. They were innocent souls tainted by the evils of the world and Harrison did not want them to suffer an even worst faith under the eyes of the deceitful crowd.

Katrina, Katrina she had hugged grabbed his hand, she had called him kind- caring and she had sobbed when he told her the full story of how the business started. She had wished to meet them, she had told him but she knew she could not as she could never leave Ireland due to Cian Walsh, but she wished she could, she wished she could return back to her homeland, back to her people. Katrina then had impulsively kissed him, and well Harrison had returned the kiss. He had grabbed her by the waist, drawing her close, a rush of passion coursed through his veins as their lips met. In that stolen moment, they had become lovers- Harrison liked to think they were more than lovers, they were soulmates. In the greek myths, they had once talked about how humans were born with two heads, four arms, and four legs but Zeus fearing their power had cut them in half, separating them and condemning them to a life without their other half- Katrina was his other half. The one that Zeus had condemn him into a life without, she owned him body mind and soul, he had found her his soulmate and he never wished to let her go. But she wished he would, because her ‘husband’ started to suspect something and she feared for Harrison life, especially when Harrison had foolish talks of helping her escape, back to her homeland.

"I’m here because I cannot stay away from you Katrina, not when you are here suffering under the hands of your cruel husband,’ He walked closer to her, tracing the cheeks that were slightly swollen- he had hit her, that man had laid his hands on her and Harrison hands tightened at the thought of that. Katrina looked away, “Let’s run away, I’ll take you to Ethiopia.”

“Lord harrison-”

“Harrison, just Harrison.” Harrison corrected grabbing her hands as he placed a kiss on them. She retreated her hands, a sad expression on her face. She wished she could, she wished she could let herself love Harrison, not have to worry for his safety or for her’s, go back to Ethiopia and one day visit his ‘business’ but she could not do all that she could not, because her life was one made for tragedy. She put his hands on her face, using his hands to caress her swollen cheeks, tears trailing down her eyes.

“Harrison, I had never loved anybody, I had never known what love is in a while, but I have loved you and I will always will but you. You have to forget me, you are a noble, you have to return back to your family, you still have your family and I don’t have mine. Return to them, live your life with them and focus on your duties. Find a good bride, but if you do have a daughter, name her after me would you?” Her expression was like that of a defeated soldier, as she forced out a laughter, “Katrina is a good name for a little girl. You will make the best of husbands and best of fathers,” She told him as she grabbed her dance shoes back from the cupboard and began to put them on, today she would be performing as a swan, a swan raised by wolves. It was not a shock that a man such as Harrison had falling in love with a woman who does arts, a woman with a tragic life, it seemed to fitting for him- Harrison the lover of arts falling in love with an art piece.

“I’m going to go to perform, Leave!” She expressed the last part with exaggeration.

“I still think you should run away,”

“And I still think of you as mad, you are mad Harrison. You are mad and have no one to tell you that you are mad so I will to tell you myself. I cannot run away, I do not have the money, I do not know where ill go and i could get caught. Harrison, i am a woman, the world is not safe for women.”

“I know and I have already figured everything out, Katrina!”

“It’s Erin now, Harrison.” Katrina said pushing him away as she made her way through, but as she pushed him away, she was not using force or anything but Harrison stood at an uncomfortable position and he had slipped cutting himself on the sharp edge of a broken glass. Katrina turned to him with a look of horror, rushing towards him , bending down to reach his level. “Harrison, Harrison are you ok?” She clapsed her hands over her mouth, “Your face, Harrison. I’m so sorry I did not mean for this to happen,”

Harrison winced as the pain shot through his cheek, the warm trickle of blood staining his fingertips and her’s as she caressed his face. He tried to maintain a reassuring smile despite the stinging sensation and Katrina’s distressed expression.

“It’s alright, Katrina, it’s just a scratch,” he assured her, though his voice trembled slightly. He could see the guilt in her eyes, and it only deepened the complexity of their situation.

She reached for a piece of cloth nearby and gently pressed it against his wounded cheek, her touch soft and tender. The room seemed to hold its breath as they remained locked in that intimate moment, their hearts echoing the unspoken words that hung between them.

Harrison had always been a dreamer that was true, after all he had all the privilege in the world to dream, all the time to dream and Katrina not so much. She wished she could- she wished she could be a dreamer believe in a harrison and her but she could not. So as she cleaned his cheeks, she placed a bittersweet kiss on it and Harrison pulled her by arms so she would kiss his lips too.

To katrina, that was a goodbye kiss but to Harrison that was just more of a reason he should keep trying to free her from the cage she was stuck in. She went outside to dance and though she told him to leave Harrison waited in her house for her. he knew her ‘husband’ could come at any time but harrison did not care much- let her husband come he told himself. And he did, her husband came after 2 hours, dragging Katrina by the arm. He had not seen Harrison yet, but Harrison watched.

“Why did you come so late you vile thing,” The man said raising his hand to slap her, but before that could happen, Harrison stepped out of the shadows grabbing the man by his hand. The room felt charged with tension as all of their eyes met.

The man, Cian looked at him in confusion and Katrina in horror

“Enough,” Harrison declared, his voice steady and commanding. He had always been a man of privilege, used to giving orders, after all it was how he was brought up- he would soon be a titled man, taking his father place but he hoped it was not that soon of course.

Katrina’s husband turned to Harrison, his expression a mixture of surprise and anger. “Who are you, and what business do you have here?”

Harrison, however, didn’t dignify the question with a response. Instead, he took a step closer to Katrina, positioning himself between her and Cian.

With a swift, unexpected motion, the husband reached into his pocket and pulled out a small knife. In a desperate bid to protect Katrina, Harrison lunged forward, attempting to disarm the man. In the ensuing struggle, the knife grazed Harrison’s already wounded cheek, reopening the wound and causing fresh blood to flow. Ah yes Harrison knew, he was definitely bound to be scarred there for life. If that sharp thing had not wounded him enough then this would but Harrison did not care much about that.

Despite his age, the man Cian Walsh was shockingly strong, and harrison was still quite young- he was only 16 then after all, while the man was in his 40s-50s. They grappled, stumbling across the room, until finally the older man strength withered away. Cian let out a gasp, cluthing his chest and fell to the ground- he was not dead of course, just unconscious.

Breathing heavily, and touching the place where blood was like a stream. Harrison turned to Katrina, “Go, now,” he urged her, his voice filled with urgency. “I’ve arranged for a ship to take you to Ethiopia. There’s a friend I trust who will ensure your safety. Run, before he wakes up. I’ll handle things here.”

“Harrison, I cannot let you handle this by yourself, this is my fault. I’m sorry I should have never led you on and now I scarred you-i’m” Harrison pulled her into a hug.

“Do not blame yourself for anything, please just go. We might never see each other again but I rather that, than you be stuck with him. please for once in your life Katrina fly, be a dreamer, please leave. Leave this forsaken place please I beg of you.”

She gave him a look pulling away from their kiss, and pressed a final lingering kiss on his lips, and then with, a heavy heart she fled the dimtly light room, leaving behind the man she loved but could never truly have and the monster who she once been forced to call a husband.

Harrison clutch his heart, it felt so painful everything did-- his cheeks, his heart and he did not notice that he was crying till he touched his eyes and his fingers were wet. Katrina, such a beautiful name for a girl.

2 Likes

“Mr. Cuthbert, your introduction is most gracious, while I cannot say I have had the pleasure of having heard of your name, I appreciate your kind words. I am Mervinia Northwick, and I am pleased to have this opportunity to meet you. While I may not possess the honor of widespread recognition, I am certain our conversation will be both pleasant and engaging.” Darius nodded to this, acknowledging her words and that he also wants a pleasant and engaging conversation with her, but not knowing how to word it he had to use body language.
When she said “This is quite a lovely venue, isn’t it? Have you attended similar gatherings before?” he was quite happy becuase he knew a great deal about the venue. With a smile he said Well, Lady Northwick, I must admit I’ve been in this very venue a few times myself. To put things into perpective, this house, Selewyn Manor, belongs to my grandfather, Harold Brantley. And isn’t it a beautiful home? It’s grandiose but somehow still has the charm a family house should have. I can see why my grandmother was so in love with this house to marry my grandfather. Sadly, this charming piece of property won’t ever belong to me, but I have my own grandiose house which I shall inherit one day to comfort me. Seeing as he’d be talking a bit too much if he continued, he stopped in order to ask the lady about her home. Knowing that she was looking at him, he decided to tease just a bit.Have you ever looked upon something or somebody with love or desire, like I do to this house, but that something is so close to you yet so far out of reach?

@Jass - Mervinia

2 Likes

1808 - 16 year old Albina

Today, it was four years since Albina’s papa had passed away. Four whole years Albina had managed without her father, she had enjoyed those years even. One thing however, that she had been pondering over, was how he died. She had been told time after time it was “an accident”, but Albina was not sure if she quite believed that. The story simply did not make sense to her, in any way. In honour of her father, she was determent to find the truth. Where was she ought to start however? Asking her mom might seem like a logical step, but she knew there was no more she would be getting out of her mom, she had tried before but it was always the same answers. She had tried asking directly, she had tried so . She started doodling as she thought things through, the image took shape of an image representing her father. This was something she needed to do, for herself, to find closure in the truth.
At that moment the postman arrived with the weekly newspaper, and at that moment Albina got an idea. She needed to spit through everything that had been printed around that time, the time her father passed away. Maybe there had been something in one of the papers that might be of use, something that could give her a clue as to what happened. However, however, however, her mom had not wanted to save anything in relation to her father, so after his death, she had emptied the archives within their estate. She doubted she would find anything of use in their archive now. She needed another place to search. Maybe she could ask Adeline, but she did not wish to include her friend. She felt like this was something she was supposed to do on her own, without a friend holding her hand. Plus, in general Albina was independent, she did not like to feel as if she needed someone’s help, she didn’t like asking for someone’s help.
All she needed was an archive, an extensive archive where she could search in peace. A plan started piecing itself together. Word of mouth had enlightened her that the Füller estate had a significant library and archive. Tonight happened to be a night of a remembrance for her father, and let faith be that she had seen Lord Füller’s name on the guest list for tonight. While she did not like missing her father’s remembrance, it might be now or never, tonight she was more or less guaranteed to find the estate empty, she was not sure when again she would get such an opportunity.
She used some rice powered to give the impression she was paler than usual, and walked down the stairs, slowly and coughing every few seconds. Mama she said with yet another cough “I fear I may be ailing. Would it be permissible for me to retire to my chamber for the evening? It pains me to absent myself from the commemoration of our dear father, yet I harbor concerns that my ailment may be contagious, and I would not wish to afflict our esteemed gathering with such malaise.” her voice sounding most innocent and genuine.
Her mother had sent her back to her room before she could utter another word. And with that, her plan was off to a successful start. She placed some pillows underneath her blanket, making it seem she was merely asleep if someone would be checking in on her. Next thing she did, was change out of her dress, into trousers and a coat “borrowed” from her brother. A top head that used to be her father’s and had been in her room as a memory to him finished the look. Here in the light is was clearly visible she was not a man, but she would surely pass as one for] the day was turning into the night.
Albina opened her window, and climbed out of it. Luckily her room was on the first floor, so she had not a long way down. Step by step she found her way down without injuring herself. She hailed a cab, and with her deepest voice she said: “Füller estate, please.”
It was not a long drive before she arrived. She wished she had been here before, so she could have made a plan how to approach this. She needed to think on the spot. Luckily, Albina was good at that. She quietly walked around the estate. Quickly, she found a cellar door. A quick test showed how it not had been locked. She took one look around, to see if she was not watched, before opening the door with certainty in her movement.
For a few minutes, she walked around the maze that the cellar was. Looking carefully around each corned. Until she found stairs leading into the main estate. She took a deep breath, and step by step walked up the stairs, she was careful with making any sounds. While the Lord of the house might not be present currently, there was a chance staff of his might be. It was not long before she found the door to what must be the library and archives. Locked. She took out one of her hairpins and fiddled a little with the lock, promptly it opened. She locked the door from the inside, before closing the curtains and turning on the light. A sense of relief overcame her, she had done it. She had made it, she was here and now she was in here, no one was going to find her, or so she thought. The archives seemed to be on the other end of the room, she however, was too distracted by all the books on the shelves. If anything could derail Albina from her plans, it were books. I have the whole night, it can’t hurt to have a look, she thought to herself. So she stood at the shelves, looking through the books, taking a few out she was particularly interested in, when she could hear someone turning a key.

@Ouijaloveletters - Edgar

3 Likes

1808 - 20 years old

Edgar’s father had gone to the remembrance celebration of one of his friends, whom Edgar did not know. Due to not knowing the deceased, Edgar saw no reason to go. It was rather nice for him, as he believed himself to have the social skills of a bundt cake. That truly could not have been farther from the truth, in all honesty. Edgar was actually a very charismatic man, and most certainly needed to give himself more credit. Since there was no one to disturb him, he had decided to go to the estate’s library to read for a while. Heading down to the library, he paused, hearing movement rom behind the door, he stiffened. Was that an animal, or…well, he was about to find out. Opening the door, he grabbed the nearest object to him. Said weapon was…a dictionary. “Stay back, I’m armed!” He threateningly raised the object, sincerely believing that he’d grabbed something more threatening. Well, Edgar would certainly call books weapons of knowledge, but…that wouldn’t really help him here…he regarded the supposed male with a stern look. Yet, taking another look, he noted that the figure, whom he’d assumed to be a male, actually had more of a feminine build. Ah, so it was a female dressed as a male. “What are you doing?” He questioned sternly, looking down at the young girl.
@Jass - Albina

2 Likes

Blue Professional Tour & Travel Email Header

And to my sister- 7 years Belle with 10 years old Josephine

At the age of seven, Belle was, without a doubt, the most endearing seven-year-old Josephine had ever seen. Adorable, and perhaps a touch unique at times, but undeniably cute. However, there were moments when Belle’s adorableness could turn into a source of concern for Josephine, especially when she found her little sister in tears after a fall.

“Belle! We told you not to go there, remember? That bush has a lot of thorns,” Josephine scolded her younger sibling, her tone a mix of frustration and worry. She and Louis had repeatedly cautioned Belle about staying away from the bush. Josephine couldn’t recall exactly when her parents had mentioned trimming it, but they had assured her it would be safe for Belle to pick her flowers soon. Plus, there were plenty of better spots in the garden for gathering blooms, so why had Belle chosen the one with the potential for harm? Josephine was definitely not like this at the girl’s age.

With a whimpering voice, Belle replied through her tears, “I wanted to pick you Bougainvillea. You said it was your favorite flower.”

“Oh, Belle,” Josephine sighed, crouching down to Belle’s eye level. She wiped away a tear from Belle’s cheek and gave her a gentle hug. “You are the sweetest sister anyone could have. Bougainvillea is my favorite, and I really appreciate that you wanted to get it for me.”

Belle’s tears began to subside, replaced by a tentative smile. “You’re not mad at me?”

Josephine shook her head, her own smile warm and reassuring. “No, not mad at all. I just worry about you getting hurt in that thorny bush. You are still quite so young and your skin is still quite sensitive, brother Thomas, Brother Louis and Papa and Mama would cry if you get hurt, so you need to stay away from the bushes.”

Belle scoffed at that, “Brother Thomas would not cry! He brings me more pain than what the thorns could bring me,” Belle was still quite mad that Thomas had cut her hair while she was sleeping as a prank and hid one of her books after she had told their father that Thomas was sneaking around, and had threatened to cut her tongue off she told mama or papa about him cutting her hair and stealing her books- but Belle told anyways because she was not scared of Thomas. Thomas to her was just an overgrown dog, one that is really mean and seems to take humor in teasing her.

“Belle, brother is just teasing you. He really cares about you!”

“Well, I don’t care about him!” Belle retorted

“That’s not true,” And it wasn’t true, And Belle knew it so she just huffed as Josephine helped her to stand up and took her to the gardening, carrying on her back. Fortunately for Josephine, Belle was almost as light as Kat-who was four years old so it was quite easy to carry her especially since Belle did not move much. Once they reached the garden, Josephine sat down on the ground, pulling her little sister into her laps as she grabbed a dandelion and put in her hair. “Bougainvillea are filled with thorns, you should not go around picking them till you are older.”

“Roses are also filled with thorns and you let me pick them,”

“Roses won’t hurt you as much as Bougainvillea,” Josephine defended, “And besides, my favorite plant is actually rose because that’s your name. Belle Rose,” Josephine said as she kissed her younger sister on the cheek, “And you’re just as cute as a rose,” Belle had giggled at that, picking jasmine plant and putting in on her sister’s hair- she had remembered that Josephine was meant to be called Jasmine, but their grandma had decided to name her something else. Josephine, after her, mama and papa had agreed because after all Josephine was a pretty name.

“You’re lying, you love bougainvilleas!”

“But I love roses more!”

“No,” Belle said laughing as she grabbed a couple of flowers and turned around to put them on Josephine’s face, “You just love one rose- me! I’m your favorite rose but you don’t love all roses, I love all roses! You love all bougainvillieas! Roses are my favorite flower so they can’t be yours too.”

“And do tell, why can’t they be mine too?”

“because they are mine! I claimed them first,”

Josephine had laughed at that, grabbing Belle close as she tried to get away- her younger sister was simply too cute. She was glad to have Belle in her life, and Kat as well. She hoped that Belle and her never grow distant from each other, that would hurt Josephine a lot, after all Belle was her favorite rose and she would protect Belle forever. Josephine wondered how would Belle be in the future? Still quite ‘unique’ she thinks but more mature, more gentle perhaps? more adorable? She could not wait for Belle to grow up though she does wish Belle would stay younger for longer and she would to so she could stay with Belle for longer. But time does not work like that, someday Belle shall marry and Josephine shall too- she does wish Belle gets married earlier than her though, so Josephine could make sure that whoever Belle marries has nothing to do with what their mother wants and she could tease Belle. But whatever happens, who ever marries first, she does hope Belle and her would be as close as this forever.

A little Belle x Josephine fluff

BainbridgeBrantley-min

Night 1, Dance 2 : With Bridget

As the dance ended, Bainbridge saw an opportunity to join Bridget and the man she was dancing with. By the time he got there they already said their goodbyes so Bainbridge wasn’t able to be introduced to the gentleman. He seemed a handsome gentleman, but Bainbridge didn’t feel it mattered to Bridget if he had those beautiful blue eyes or downturned droopy eyes. As he approached her he noted how loose and flowy her attire was. Of course it wouldn’t make sense for somebody who cannot see themselves nor has no knowledge of visual beauty to wear tight clothing for the sake of beauty. Nevertheless the dress didn’t make her any less beautiful. “Bridget?” Knowing she wouldn’t recognize him by an agreed upon scent, like she recognized his sister, he softly called after her so she could hear him but so she doesn’t have to be alarmed. “It’s me, Bainbridge.” He said to clarify. He wanted to let her know who she was approached by since just saying her name wouldn’t be enough for her to immediately recognize who she’s talking to. Now he got to the question he wanted to ask her since the moment he saw her. “I understand you just finished a dance, but would you do me the honor of dancing the next one with me?”

@Bluecookies - Bridget

1 Like

Bridget curtsied once again and thanked Lord Riddlington for dancing with her. She had asked a servant, one she had heard approaching from the sound of clinking glass for some lemonade when she heard someone call her name. “Bridget?” There was a momentary pause as if he were making his way through the crowd. “It’s me, Bainbridge.” “I have not so soon forgotten the sound of your voice, Lord Brantley. The many summers I have spent with your wonderful family as a child still grace my memory.” Bridget curtsied with a soft smile. “I understand you just finished a dance, but would you do me the honor of dancing the next one with me?” Bridget’s expression changed to one of perplexion. “You wish to dance with me, My Lord?”

@LunaticLeviTheSecond ~ Bainbridge

1 Like

BainbridgeBrantley-min

Dance 2: Bridget

“You wish to dance with me, My Lord?” Asked Bridget. It seemed as she was perplexed as if she didn’t expect people to want to dance with her. Bainbridge thought she would be the sensation of the evening, for she must be amazing to be able to dance considering she is blind. “Of course I want to dance with you, I consider you a friend … But I’m not a Lord. I won’t permit you to give me airs when you yourself are much more humble than I. For one, you are able to dance as well as any Lady in the room, yet you wonder why I want to dance with you. So then … Shall we dance?”
@Bluecookies - Bridget

1 Like

Clearly, Albina had miscalculated. For a man, seemingly someone of nobility with the key had entered the room. It could not be Viscount Füller, for he was at the memorial. And this gentleman seemed much younger than the Viscount from what she had heard. This must be a son of his she was not aware of, she concluded. Play the innocent game, that’s where her mind went to immediately. “Lord Füller, I am under the impression that is a book, not as much of a weapon. Most certainly words can be a weapon in war, but I do not feel threatened.” she chuckled softly as she spoke, finding the situation before her quite amusing if anything. “Please allow me to explain, I do not have any malicious intent. I am merely passionate about literature and the art of studying. I had heard word of your most excellent collection of literature, and found myself fascinated.” Even if she did not like apologising, she felt one might be in place at this moment: “I apologise for scaring you and going about it in a wrong manner.” she looked at him as she said the apology.

1 Like

Edgar allowed himself to relax, lowering his arms. Then, and only then, did he realize what he was hoping to use as a weapon, just as the girl mentioned it. ”It would appear you are correct.” He said awkwardly, lowering the book. Regaining his composure, he bowed. ”I sincerely apologize for and strife I must have caused you. I had assumed we were being robbed. I certainly was not expecting a young girl simply wishing to read. Though, may I know why you did not just knock on the door? My father is not here, but I certainly would have let you in if you had just stated you wished to read. In fact, that was my plan when I found you. I just wish to read, as you do. Also, I do not mean to startle you, but anything can be a weapon if you hit someone hard enough. That is just what I think. Now, would you perhaps like something to eat or drink? I figure since you mean no ill will, I may as well host you. Setting down the book he nearly hit the girl with, he smiled, extending his hand.”I just realized I never introduced myself. You seem to know my father, so I shall skip that part. My name is Edgar. May I know your name, miss?”
@Jass - Albina

1 Like

“Indeed, Mr. Cuthberg,” she said, her tone genteel and composed. “Selewyn Manor is a splendid testament to the grandeur of your family’s heritage. Its charm and history are truly remarkable. Your grandmother’s choice was undoubtedly influenced by its unique beauty.” She looked around the building, it was a stunning and exquisite estate. It did not impress her much however, as she herself had been blessed with an upbringing in one of the fanciest estates of London. She was not keen however to let Darius know about this, as she did not wish to disrespect his grandfathers estate. She gracefully said: “It is a privilege to be a guest in such an esteemed residence. And I am certain that your own family home must be equally magnificent, holding its own treasured history.”

With a soft and sympathetic smile, she replied, “Mr. Brantley, your words resonate with a sentiment many of us have experienced at one point or another. To long for something so deeply, yet find it just beyond our grasp, can indeed be a heart-wrenching experience.” She took a small break, to gather her thought before continuing to speak in a thoughtful tone: “Life often presents us with such challenges. And we must find solace in the knowledge that our hearts can hold great affection for the things and people we hold dear, even if circumstances keep them just out of reach.”

2 Likes

Albina’s eyes widened at Edgar’s apology, and she quickly realized that her actions had indeed been misconstrued. She lowered her guard, feeling a bit embarrassed herself, especially as he was being so kind to her. “Oh, no need to apologize,” she replied, her voice soft and sincere. “I understand why you might have thought that. I should have been more careful.” She then decided to use some of her playful charm. She raised an eyebrow and chuckled softly, her tone teasing and a hint of mischief in her eyes, “But well, you see, sometimes the thrill of adventure takes over, and one can’t resist the allure of sneaking around a grand manor like this.” She winked playfully, letting her true nature shine through. "Truly, I didn’t want to disturb anyone, especially since your father isn’t here. I thought it would be best to enjoy the tranquility without causing any commotion." And she chuckled a bit about his comment about anything being a weapon as long as you hit hard enough: “Even this?” she said as she walked over and picked up a soft pillow from one of the couches.

As Edgar offered her food and something to drink, her stomach gave a small, involuntary growl, making her cheeks flush with embarrassment. She had not had dinner tonight. “That’s very kind of you,” she said with a warm smile. “I would appreciate something to eat, thank you.”

When he introduced himself, she extended her hand to shake his. “I’m Emily,” she replied, using a fake name. Even if he treated her kindly, she had still broken into the estate. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Edgar, even in these circumstances. As we seem to share a passion for literature, may I inquire who your favourite writer may be?”

1 Like