Bridgerton Miscellaneous Thread

Opening ball, 1789, London

“Your words, sir, are indeed quite intriguing.” The lady’s eyes lit up with curiosity as she gazed at Darius. “The conclusion of the revolution and the emergence of a new artistic and literary movement mark a fascinating juncture in our cultural history.” She nodded slowly in agreement, her shyness giving way to a growing interest in the conversation. “As someone who greatly appreciates the depth of emotions and the stories embedded within art,” her gaze remained fixed on him, “I am particularly captivated by your mention of the growing influence of a movement that emphasizes individualism and the exploration of profound emotions in art.”

“The idea of glorifying the past, especially the medieval and gothic eras, is equally enchanting.” She looked down for a moment, collecting her thoughts, then raised her eyes once more. “Our history carries with it a treasure trove of narratives, and celebrating these eras through art is a commendable endeavor.” She then looked at him directly, her reserved demeanor softening as she inquired, “Pray, what is this movement called? I have not yet heard of its name.”

“I eagerly await the developments in this artistic movement.” A faint smile graced her lips, and her eyes sparkled with anticipation. “I hope to witness more paintings that not only resonate with me on a profound level but also encapsulate the essence of this evolving spirit. It does indeed seem as if an exciting time for the world of art and literature is approaching.” Her non-verbal cues revealed her growing enthusiasm and the connection she felt to the topic at hand.

1 Like

When Darius realised his interest in the new movement was also what interested her, he couldn’t contain his smile from her. He kept smiling as she talked with excitement knowing that he shares her passion and he was righting in singling her out from all the other ladies. “Lady Northwich … What can I add when you summed it all up perfectly. Now that I’ve mentioned it’s existence, I only wish there was something to show you, but it’s far too early for that. Now artworks were made yet, only poems and I haven’t got them memorised to recite them to you. It is a shame I leave you so excited, having to wait years probably before you see fruit of this movement.”
“I eagerly await the developments in this artistic movement.” Her next words made him get an idea. “Why wait?” The same think he was thinking about her when he approached her so suddenly was now what he told her. “Maybe the movement won’t take wind if somebody isn’t there to make it happen, to start things. Maybe if we’re inspired and make artwork ourselves, the movement could come to us sooner than to other people. Who knows, maybe this movement will be just a passing fad and all our waiting will be for nought … Would you care and join me next week for a painting session? I’m sorry for being so forward, but I am honest when I say I would love to paint such a beauty, especially in the style of the new movement. What do you say?” He asked, but inside his head he repeated “Please say yes.”

@Jass - Mervinia

In between dance three and dance four Augustus Hatcherman

Baylor had enjoyed his dance with Adeline, and she had certainly made him feel some things. He was confused, as he headed over to the table to get another drink. He poured himself yet another glass of port, he needed it. His mind was all over the place. He then saw Augustus, his best friend. Someone he has known for years and years, who he shared ups and downs with. He decided, who better to talk to right now than someone he truly trusted and felt comfortable with. So he walked over to him, glass still in his hand. “Ah, Augustus, good evening!” he said as he gave him a small nod, “Such a shame we have not yet been able to talk this evening. I trust you are in good spirits?”
He then spoke a bit nervously, “You know, Augustus, I find myself in a rather perplexing situation tonight.” he took a sip of his port before continuing to speak, “I danced with someone tonight, and I can’t quite put my finger on it, but there’s something about her that’s… different. It’s just… I wasn’t looking for anything romantic, and yet, here I stand, entangled in emotions I thought myself immune to.” It seemed the alcohol had gotten to him somewhat, he was more honest at least than he usually found himself to be. He did not easily show his cards like this, even with his best friend. He did it, Augustus just usually had to at least ask, and sometimes even drag information out of him. He was never this straightforward telling what went through his mind. While Augustus and Baylor had spoken before about Baylor’s sentiments regarding marriage and love, it was not something he often spoke much about with his friend. On this however, he needed his friend’s advice and guidance. He had never been in this situation before, and it overwhelmed him. Or well, mostly he just needed to get how he felt of his chest. Speak his truth how he was feeling. “However, I find I have spoken enough of my own matters. Pray, may I inquire how your evening has fared this far?” now Baylor had shared, he needed some positivity, some happy distractions. Augustus usually was the right person to deliver that, so that was what he was hoping for as he asked about Augustus’ evening.

@Madilnel - Auggie

1 Like

7b10f7d09884509a5e17f75671fd59d298c7c4ef_2_690x203

Between dances w/Baylor
As Baylor approached him at the ball, Augustus’s face lit up with excitement. His best friend’s presence was always a source of joy, and Augustus was genuinely thrilled to see him.

“Ah, Baylor, my good friend, It’s a delight to have you here tonight. I’ve been looking forward to this evening, and it’s already shaping up to be a splendid night of festivities and wonderful company,” he exclaimed with enthusiasm. His eyes sparkled with happiness as he shared his excitement. The ballroom’s grandeur, the exquisite music, and the glittering chandeliers paled in comparison to the warmth he felt when reuniting with Baylor.

Augustus regarded Baylor with a knowing and sympathetic expression as his best friend shared his perplexing situation. Augustus nodded in understanding as Baylor shared his unexpected dance encounter. The complexities of emotions and the unpredictability of romance were not lost on him, and he couldn’t help but empathize with his friend’s perplexing situation.

“I completely understand, romance has a way of sneaking up on us when we least expect it, doesn’t it? It’s like a beautifully intricate dance, leading us into uncharted territory with its own set of steps and rhythms.”

He paused for a moment, then added with a hint of humor, “And as for those entangled emotions, my friend, well, I dare say they’re quite skilled at making even the most composed of us feel a tad jittery and…, erm itchy, .” Augustus, too, had felt those nervous jitters in the presence of enchanting ladies. Augustus’s inner thoughts took a comical turn. He couldn’t help but recall his own comical misadventures in the realm of romance.

When romantic feelings began to emerge, it was as if a swarm of butterflies took flight in his stomach, making him feel skittish and uncertain. T It wasn’t that he didn’t desire or appreciate the company of women; quite the contrary, he valued their friendships greatly. It was akin to a squirrel fleeing from dogs; he was cautious and aware of the potential for missteps. His desire to make a genuine connection and not disappoint the women he interacted with made him somewhat anxious.

“I wasn’t looking for anything romantic, and yet, here I stand, entangled in emotions I thought myself immune to.” Augustus couldn’t help but feel genuinely excited for Baylor when he heard those words. The idea of his best friend, who had initially not been seeking real romance, suddenly being entangled in emotions was like witnessing a captivating plot twist in a novel.

“My friend, that’s the beauty of life and love, isn’t it? Sometimes, the most enchanting and unexpected romances are the ones that find us when we’re least prepared. It’s like discovering a hidden treasure, a delightful surprise in the midst of life’s grand tapestry.”

Baylor’s question about his evening brought a momentary sense of excitement and nervousness to Augustus. He had indeed been in the company of several charming women throughout the evening, and the fluttering sensation in his stomach was a testament to a delightful interaction he had enjoyed.

“I must admit that I’ve had some truly delightful conversations with a few of the ladies tonight, and there are moments when I find myself feeling rather excited. But, you see, the heart and the tongue don’t always seem to be in sync. There have been instances where I’ve been, as they say, ‘tongue-tied,’ and I’ve stumbled over words like a bumbling novice.”

Augustus chuckled at his own foibles, knowing that his charm and confidence didn’t always extend seamlessly into the realm of romantic encounters. His genuine and candid admission only deepened the camaraderie between him and Baylor, and both friends shared a knowing smile.
@Jass

1 Like

Pre-dance four Augustus Hatcherman

“I couldn’t agree more. It’s always a delight to be in your company, and I, too, have been looking forward to this evening. The festivities and the wonderful company are made even more splendid by your presence.” He had quite enjoyed the evening thus far, even with the complications of his emotional feelings.

“Indeed, Augustus,” Baylor replied with a calm and collected tone. “Romantic feelings often appear unexpectedly, much like a complex dance with its unique steps. It’s a most curious aspect of human nature, navigating these uncharted emotions. The unpredictability can be both fascinating and, at times, very much so perplexing.”

Baylor acknowledged with a subtle, almost unnoticeable laugh. “The complexities of romance can affect even the most composed individuals. It’s as though they introduce an unexpected element of unpredictability into our lives, challenging our sense of control.” he continued, “not quite sure if I enjoy it being challenged however.”

“You make an intriguing point,” Baylor said, his expression carrying a sense of contemplation. “The element of surprise in romance does add an intriguing facet to life. It can be akin to solving a complex puzzle or discovering an unexpected treasure. I suppose one might navigate these emotions with an open mind and a willingness to embrace the unexpected. Not sure if I am capable of such however, embracing it with an open heart.” while he understood Augustus’ points, it was not really like that for Baylor, but he could understand where Augustus was coming from.

Baylor could not help himself from smiling when Augustus talked about being tongue-tied. “I can certainly appreciate the sentiment, Augustus,” Baylor replied, his tone thoughtful. “The unpredictability of romantic situations can be challenging for those of us who prefer a more ordered approach to life. It’s like navigating through uncharted waters, which can be unsettling. However, it’s important to trust in our ability to adapt and make the best choices when faced with such situations.”

As Baylor looked at Augustus, he could see he was quite happy, “It’s evident that you’ve been enjoying some wonderful company tonight. May I ask, my friend, which particular conversations or interactions have left a lasting impression on you? I’m always keen to hear about your experiences.” he asked with a smile on his face. He hoped to hear some nice stories about Augustus’ evening.

@Madilnel - Augustus

:white_heart: Azucena and Orpheus: The First Night :white_heart:

Part 1 of 2

September 28th, 1810 at The Black Crow Bar

For the past hour Orpheus could not find his left shoe.

Not that he had taken it off, nor that he had bothered to look for it, but nevertheless the shoe had been missing for over sixty minutes. In those sixty minutes, Orpheus had consumed two bottles of port, and a double shot of brandy, neat, of course. If he were any wiser as to where his shoe was, at this point, he certainly could not see it even if it struck him in the head.
Seated at the back of The Black Crow Bar, in the heart of downtown London, Orpheus Langston was beyond a healthy level of drunk.
The Black Crow Bar was a notorious underground bar which allowed men and woman to drink freely, and Orpheus had been a regular at the bar for the past three years. He often came alone, a pocket filled with coin, a head filled with noise, a heart filled with pain, and he would drink until he blacked out and ultimately stumbled home.
Tonight was no different. The September nights neared fall temperatures, filling the air inside with a subtle chill which encouraged him to drink faster to fight the goosebumps speckling his exposed arms. The hearth in the corner provided little to dim the cold of the night.
Despite the weather, Orpheus wore a white button down and black trousers, the sleeves of his shirt rolled to the bicep, the top 5 buttons undone, and now, missing a shoe on his left foot.
“Genie!” Orpheus called, waving his hand drunkenly. “Another port, sir.” He said, propping his right cheek against his hand.
He had long since ceased his crying, yet the tear stains still ran along his cheeks and down his top. His eyes maintained a subtle pinkish color from the heavy sobbing from earlier in the day. The tightness in his chest hardly seemed to lighten with each drink, however, bottle after bottle, he slowly forgot why he had been crying at all.
That was his intention after all. To forget. To drown. To lose himself so fully in the bottom of his glass that perhaps fortune would shine upon him and relieve him of the pain of his mortal life entirely.
However, his hopes have yet to come to fruition, so Orpheus sat, drinking, and utterly alone.
In fact, Orpheus sat at the back of the Black Crow Bar, a section reserved for women. Through blurred vision, and a hopeless search for his court shoe, he had found himself seated in the incorrect section. Although, he had been far too out of it to notice.
Orpheus watched as the port sloshed into his glass, its reddish hue reminding him of blood and the pain he felt at its resemblance. Eugene, as he usually did, left the bottle next to Orpheus to finish off.
Orpheus’ eyes could hardly focus, but he sat twirling the wine around in his glass, trying his hardest to drown himself.

|1031px;x283px;

Carriage wheels rolled trail marks into the soft grass of autumn. Almost two Septembers ago, Azucena had been strolling through the park in her long, baby pink dress. A special color for the special occasion, but no one to share it with as of yet, or at least no one she liked back. She hoped that would change, and sat on a bench with her father as they watched the ton move around in a time lapse, holding a little bouquet given to her by her real best friend.
If you ever wonder why Azucena is so picky, or never thinks a man is enough for her, it is because her dad has set the bar way too high for any of the boys to meet. “They match my dress.” She smiled shyly. He always knew exactly what to get her.
“Of course I did darling. How else will your suitors know they need to work harder?” Azucena giggled. “Well it is not like I have many suitors right now father, after all, I have only just become available.” She said pitifully, feeling like she embarrassed him as a daughter because Harrison left her.
“The loss belongs to Harrison, love. Any young man who does not believe you to beeeee… beautiful, intelligent, articulate, artistic, talented, humorous, benevolent,…” He continued putting down fingers as he listed compliments for Blue. She laughed even more, “Papa, stop!” She chuckled, and he gave her an empathetic smile. “Well, the point is, any man who does not believe you to be perfect is a fool. Now do tell me, is there anyone new you fancy?”
Azucena blushed embarrassed, leaning her head on his shoulder so he couldn’t see her face turning pink. “Actually, there is one suitor. But do not get excited yet! Aurelia fancies him as well.” Zuzu turned her head, putting her face in her father’s shoulder to hide her silly awkwardness. He leaned his head down so she could feel the bottom of his scruffy beard on her hair. “Finch?” He asked in a low voice, trying not to talk too loud when her ears were so close.
“Misfortunately, yes.” She sighed, lifting her head to sit up, gently fixing her hair that got in her face. “Ah, in that case, it might be best to choose another then.” Blue nodded, because although her father did not always have the best history with love, he was always good at advising her.
“You should speak to Lia, darling. Where has she been all day? We both do know that every year before becoming ladies, she blew out candles with you every year.” Azucena smiled softly, remembering her childhood with Lia, and then she realized this was her first birth day apart from Lia. “That is in fact true. I shall find her later today, I am sure.” She told her dad, missing her friend as well.
Carriages continued to skip by as Azucena peered around the field, given the chance Lia might be there too. She keeps a subtle eye glancing until she sees Lia’s face speaking to a man who she couldn’t see as he was facing her. The girl felt alleviated to know her friend had found a date, even if she couldn’t spend the day with her. She looked at them talk a little bit longer, until she realized she recognized his curly hair.
Could that be… Harrison?
“Please don’t make a face, father, but I think that’s Harrison in the carriage with Aurelia.” She told him, laying her head on his shoulder again as she processed it, and a tear ran down her cheek. It was one of those feelings you could not explain, where it sounded unjust to feel such a way. She did not see them kiss, nor profess their love for each other, but she felt like a small child on the playing ground. Why did no one want to be her friend?
She went to cry a bit more, and Lionel wrapped his arms around her, consoling Blue for her heartbreak.

Later that day

The girl had not intended on going out that night, for she had been celebrating, and had been a bit tired. But she was hurt. She had changed from her birthday gown and wore a more simple pink one, revealing a bit more ankle :face_with_hand_over_mouth: and could pass off as a maxi dress in the modern day, covered by a cloak to keep her identity as hidden as possible on the way.
The girl hoisted herself over her window sill, and stepped out into the bushes under the fair moon’s light. The town was illuminated by some houses who had still not gone to sleep, but above her head she could only see the stars like a painting on the ceiling, where the whole world was her home. Her loyal doorman fetched her a quaint ride to get across town. She stepped in with her dainty heels, and the horses rushed off to the bar while she relaxed with their rocking, looking out of the opening more than she should have.
Azu thought about it, how she went to this place to seek shelter. If the real world did not hold a love for her, why could she not give herself the illusion that it did? Just for one evening, between liquor and conversation with people whom she would not see again. Somewhere in that unknowing, she believed they understood her. People who knew Azucena knew she was a marchioness, they knew her hair was light brown, her parents were Regina and Lionel Osuna. But people who knew Lillith knew she liked morning dew, and that they could trust her with their secrets. The question was, which side of it mattered?
The girl arrived at the Black Crow, thanked the horseman, and pulled her cloak down as she stepped in, the static in her hair cooling down with the cold. A few women stood in the corner, seeming to play some sort of game. Other men seemed to be negotiating, most likely a proposal they could not negotiate in daylight. Sitting at one of the stools, though, there was a man sitting alone. He looked rather put together, but something about his demeanor seemed as though his heart had been broken.
She walked over, wanting to see if she could make him feel better.
She asked, him a question, putting a caring hand on his shoulder when she saw the etches of his tears on his cheek. “Are you alright?”

Orpheus had slowly begun to drift off, the port wine pulling his eyelids closed with its weight in his stomach. That is, until a soft voice, a woman’s voice, spoke up from behind him.
He felt the gentle touch of a hand chilled from the fresh night air touch his shoulder. Through his button up shirt alone, he could feel icy outline of each finger as she spoke.
“Are you alright?” The woman asked, glancing over Orpheus.
Orpheus pried his eyes further awake, taking in a long breath of air to force his body from falling under sleep.
“Alright?” Orpheus laughed, spinning on his bar stool to look at the lady. “Hardly, Miss, my left foot is freezing. Pray, tell me, have you seen my shoe?” Orpheus slightly slurred his speech, but the words came out clear enough. He held his foot up slightly, wriggling his toes and chuckling at himself for his loss. As he lifted his heel, he became slightly unbalanced, leaning against the bar side for stability to keep himself from toppling out of his seat.
Orpheus looked from his foot back up at the lady who he had hardly processed before now. As he blinked his eyes more awake, he made out the features of her face.
She was a smaller woman, short stature, and an even build. Her eyes were a soaring blueish green that Orpheus could not escape from. They seemed to be pulling him closer to her. Like the sea calling to men on the shoreline; they begged him to drown.
“My, you are a vision…” Orpheus breathed, a small smile spreading across his face as he held her gaze. He cleared his throat as he continued, “Uh, apologies…Miss…forgive me, I do not believe I have had the pleasure…your name, Miss…?” Orpheus spoke slowly, the alcohol still holding his tongue in a twist, however, his eyes spoke where his words could not. Not for a moment did they part from hers, and with each second that passed, he wanted nothing more than to dive within them. ‘Ocean eyes…’ He thought to himself. ‘What a beautiful rarity…’

|1031px;x283px;

By god, this man was drunk. Azucena made a bit of a confused face in her judgement as he asked if she had seen his shoe. Why did he not know where his shoe was? Why did he take it off? She had so many questions…
Also, when she looked around him on the floor, the man’s shoe was right behind him. She picked it up with two pinched fingers and handed it to him.
“Your shoe… sir.”
Naturally, Azucena would probably rather have pointed it out behind him than given it to him, because who knows where that shoe has been. But he looked like he could use a helping hand, and she was not that much of a b^tch.
However, she was very confused when he turned to face her. His features seemed well groomed, with smooth lips and combed hair that framed his face too well not to be done by a stylist. His dress as well seemed to be made of rich fabric, so she would think him to be a noble. Or at least a member of the emerging middle class. Still, in this particular place he looked a mess.
He complimented her. A vision he said, speaking like a drunken sailor steering lazily on the late night ship deck. It was a bit poetic, as a visionary she truly appreciated his kindness. As a woman, she was a bit concerned about a drunk man showing attraction to her, but he did not show any signs of danger. “Thank you.” She said politely.
As she expected, he also eventually asked her name. “Lillith.” She said, giving her fake identity to him. Here she could not be Azucena. Azucena was a marchioness with much dignity and style, but still frigid enough for you to wonder what she was like when no one was around. Azucena was a poet deemed a failure because her fiancée did not think her profound enough to impress him.
Lillith, however, was a kindred spirit who was quick to offer her kind words to anyone who needed them. She was not afraid to be vulnerable, and her poems served as war crys among her and the men at the brothel, boasting her rhymes as shanties to tell for generations on. Lillith did not have a Spanish accent, for she did a spot on English impression, an impression Azucena supposedly could not.
“What is yours?” She asked, taking a seat beside him. The man from the bar walked by and she called to him as they spoke. “One port please, Eugene.” She said, calling the tender by his name as they were somewhat close. Then, she looked back to him humbly, letting him continue.

“Your shoe… sir.” The woman’s voice was soft yet clearly as confused as Orpheus was. Orpheus looked it over, placing his heel back on the ground and taking the shoe from her.
“Where did you-?” Orpheus asked the sole of his shoe, his face a furrowed confusion as he stared at the leather boot. “I’ve been looking for…” Orpheus trailed off, pulling his shoe securely back onto his left foot where it belonged.
Orpheus glanced back up at the woman, smiling to himself as he processed the beauty of her features. For a moment, Orpheus wondered if his port had spoiled, and the woman in front of him was a product of hallucinations, as there was no way such a lovely woman existed amongst the ruffians of lower English life.
“Lilith.” She replied. Had Orpheus asked her name? He couldn’t recall.
Either way, the name did hold a certain charm. A poetic ring that Orpheus quite liked, his name being of equal mythological merit.
The woman, Lilith, perched her small frame atop the stool closest to him, the chill of the night that she carried with her sending yet another shiver down his spine. She was electrifying in a way. The mix of cool breeze and body heat enticing Orpheus forward. Her calm expression and closeness in proximity making him all the more curious about her.
She called for a drink, but Orpheus nudged his bottle toward her, pulling an empty glass from behind the bar.
“Here.” Orpheus attempted a shaky pour, somehow managing to contain the liquid to the glass. “I should think it wasted on me.” Orpheus smiled, gesturing for her to take the bottle.
“Langs-“ Orpheus cut himself short. He was a man of his reputation, and introducing himself to ladies of ill-repute at a bar might stir unnecessary attention. “the name.” Orpheus finished, taking a sip from his own glass, trying to play off his introductory fumble as a drunken mistake. “Lang.” He said again, ensuring the name sounded familiar and sure on his tongue.
Orpheus watched the lady next to him, analyzing her movements. She held herself well for a lower class woman. Her mannerism were refined, stable, proper even. However, her accent was native, and surely if there had been a woman of such beauty in the ton, Orpheus would have taken notice to her.
Or perhaps, his mind was far too distracted to take heed of anyone apart from Aurelia. Orpheus and Aurelia had been courting for the past few months, spending countless hours romancing and enjoying the splendors of courtship together. The abrupt ending of their time came as Aurelia fell ill. Tonight, Orpheus had come to grieve his loss, lose himself in self-loathing, and unburden the guilt he held so tightly at not being able to comfort her in her time of need.
Orpheus’ attachment to Aurelia had grown so deeply that separating them was like ripping a rose from its root. As roses do when torn, Orpheus began to rot. Slowly. With each sip, each drunken night, he let himself fade away, hoping that one day the universe might take him the way it had taken Lia.
As the buzz of the alcohol began to lose its previous numbing qualities, Orpheus found himself in need of a new drug. One he could lose himself in.
Perhaps, he thought, it had just walked through the door.
“Lilith…” Orpheus allowed her name to dance along his tongue. “Have you come to dwell in this wasted place, Lilith? Surely, you are not here to tempt a broken man…” Orpheus teased, recalling the mythology behind the Biblical version of Lilith.
Orpheus turned to her again, a playful smirk gracing his expression.
“Pray, tell, lovely lady of lore, why has such youthful beauty come to seek the comforts of such a place as this…?” Orpheus’ voice was still slurred, but slightly more audible as he attempted to sober himself up in front of her.
There was something refreshing about a woman joining him for a nightly drink as he normally did not partake in such activities with the women he was in proximity to. That is one of the reasons Orpheus frequented The Black Crow Bar, he loved the company of the many characters that walked through the door.
This woman, it seemed, would be equally as intriguing. A welcomed distraction for his wandering and broken heart.

@DandelionKate @raviola

mentioned:
@Kristi Harrison
@Caticorn Finch
@benitz786 Aurelia

others who might like azu and orphie being NOT promiscuous :roll_eyes::heart:
@Madilnel
@Jass

4 Likes

:white_heart: Azucena and Orpheus: The First Night :white_heart:

Part 2 of 2

September 28th, 1810 at The Black Crow Bar

The man viewed his shoe in amazement and she chuckled a bit. He seemed very friendly for a beggar, it was hard for Azucena to judge him. Admittedly, she was also a bit naive, with more heart than pride at the end of the day. Still, she did not feel afraid coming closer to him. The bar scene remained new to Blue, so she was not confident in her pertinence there yet, but she had started learning the employee’s names and such. It was beginning to feel a bit easier for her.
He sloppily served her a bit from his bottle, and she smiled. “No, it is alright.” She reassured nicely. It was a kind gesture, but she respectfully did not trust a beverage from him. He may have been a drunk. Who knew who he let touch his alcohol, or what was mixed with it?
She sat in silence watching him dope and stare at nothing for a minute, getting very bored before she finally gave up. The tender was taking a very long time to attend her. “Fine, I will try a bit of your port.” She rolled her eyes and laughed a bit. He seemed very eager to share a drink with her, so she took the glass and shot it down probably too fast considering what she was actually drinking. The girl cringed, remembering her complete void of tolerance for alcohol.
“Phew. I have no idea why I did that.” She facepalmed, hoping he would at least find her amusing to lessen the blow.
Lang. Surely a nickname, she thought. Who was he actually? It sounded like the name of a pirate, even. How she wished she could court a pirate. They seemed so cool, like a refreshing elixir to send one into a trance. However, she knew that was a delusion because of the things she had been told by her mother. Pirates were homosexuals, and Azucena was only permitted to court men of propriety. However, this swashbuckler-looking fellow was too handsome for her to reduce him to a drunkard. Perhaps she would develop a bit of a crush. That was if she could feel anything new at all.
He had asked her why she had come to the bar, and see, the only reason she had come to spend time at the black crow was because of stupid Harrison. It should have been great that he was enticing other ladies of the ton. After all, she hated him! But after spending so much time with the bastard, she had grown an attachment to the way he would be so sweetly insecure when his beard was uneven, or how he would draw out a diagram of his thoughts on a chalk board when he struggled to explain himself. Even the way he liked to curse the morning rooster because he was never a morning person. It was despicable! How dare he leave her!! And she said she hated him, but she only hated the way he betrayed her.
Not only him, but also her best friend. Aurelia, pictured beside him in that carriage blushing and seducing him.
She was simultaneously the girl laying beside Azucena in their matching bassinets, the girl sneaking books with her from the library and pretending they could read to each other, the girl who she had sent so many letters. And Lia had replied to none of them. She must have been so busy trying to steal her fiancĂŠ that she forgot!
To tempt a broken man he said…
Albeit, that would not hurt either. She decided that would be easier, but she could not tell him yet. For that would foil her conspiration.
“I suppose I am here for the same reason as you. I have been hurt, and I have come here to mend my wounds.” Azucena expressed her feelings with a sigh. “I apologize if I assumed your reason for being here incorrectly. I simply figured that since you were struggling to find your shoe, things may not be going well for you today.” She blushed, embarrassed at her crassness.

Orpheus watched the woman with careful intrigue, her hesitation at taking his offer of drink was to be expected. What was not expected was the speed with which she downed the port. Perhaps they would need to be each other’s distraction for the time being as it seemed the woman was in desperate need of one herself.

“Wrong, indeed, Lilith.” Orpheus gave a sad smile, taking a swig from his own bottle and pouring her another. “I am not here to mend my wounds…” Orpheus watched the bartender bring a fresh bottle of port, taking it and drinking a few more swallows. “I am here to watch them bleed…” Orpheus glanced down at the scars on his hands, some small and subtle, some larger cuts more pronounced in his palm.

Orpheus had used the bottle to forget his own mind, that much was true, but there was more to the endless nights alone than forgetting and drowning out the noise.

Orpheus drank night after night, to die.

As he drank, the world slowed, his body slowing with it. He had hoped he would see her in this state. He often did. In the shadows behind the street torches. In the empty window next to his. He drank to feel her closeness again. To hear her song. To join her.

Orpheus turned his attention back to the woman who sat next to him. The temporary kind of warmth she provided nearly mimicking the heat he craved so desperately.

“But, your wounds aretruly deserving of rapid recovery, my dear.” Orpheus let his hand linger on hers as he passed her back her glass. There was a surge of warm connection that passed between them, a kind of burn that Orpheus did not want to pull away from.

“Who would dare hurt awoman as lovely and kind asyourself? Not everylady picks up shoes of strangers or shares in theirsorrows. Surely, you are more deserving thanthe pain someone has brought you. If it be a man, he ishardly a gentleman. If it be a woman, shemust be jealous for there is currently nomaiden in this town as fair as you.” Orpheus’ eyes held sincerity despite the slurs of his speech. It did pain him to see a beautiful woman so in distress that she sought out the lowest of comforts. It was an agonizing kind of heart ache he would not wish on his worst enemy.

“Lilith…” Orpheus smiled at the sound of her name. A gentle kind of melody that ignited a fiery inspiration in his heart for a new song. An inspiration he would let burn out as he had time and time again. For no one deserved to inspire him while Lia was away. No song was worthy of construction while her ears could not listen. For the first time in his life, Orpheus found himself ignoring the song in his heart.

“I would never wound you…” Orpheus whispered, almost distantly as he glanced down at the bottle.
It was as if he was not speaking to the woman anymore, but to a far off figure at the bottom of the port. Orpheus felt the tears well in his eyes again and he attempted to hold them back.

“You deserve better.” Orpheus stated flatly, turning back to Lilith. “You need not tell me of your story ifyou do not wish, but knowyour measures as a woman are far greater than those who seekto hurt you.” Orpheus’ hands gripped the bottle. The idea of anyone hurting a lady so lovely made his blood boil.
However ironic it seemed.

The man pointed out his scarred hands… and she looked down on them in pity after shooting her port. His speech was beautifully poetic, but he sounded as though his poetry grew from sadness; like flowers born wilted, dead roses from the start.

She wished she could understand him better, but Lilith was not deep enough under the influence to put the pain she felt on her sleeve. For now, she just consoled him.

“What happened to your palms, Lang?” she asked. Hand scars usually meant a man had gotten into some sort of brawl, but those were on fists. His palms were those that bled. Her first thought was broken glass. It was that same issue she had. Where others broke apart walls, it was her heart that tore in half. Always melancholy, never the rage she laid dormant.

Lily asked for another port, and then another as they continued to talk. She needed them, and they kept stacking up.

“Thank you,” She told Lang, her reddish eyes closing slightly as the alcohol rocked her to sleep. “If I told you the first direct reason I was here; it would be because my greatest companion thieved away my betrothed. However, that would be shallow.” The girl looked down, remorseful of her seeming superficiality. She did not want to say more, but she could not hold back her sadness, swirling around her stomach with the alcohol.

“The truth would be that… I must now grieve a friendship, and a love at once. I must grieve the appeal of my purity, and my value as a wife now that I am no longer betrothed. I must grieve the strength I held against my family when they said they did not believe in me.” Lillith settled, adding more than she intended to her explanation as she remembered more reasons to be upset, and more reasons why she could share them with this kind stranger.

She chuckled at his compliments, presuming they did not mean much. “I do appreciate your words, but you are drunk. You do not know me.” Azucena suspired softly. He was truly speaking to her so kindly, yet it did not fix her perception of the woman she was.

A person who met Azu years into the future might have thought her to be confident, but how could she do that now? She was malnourished by mother, squeezing her into the corsets of a doll. Agatha locked her in closets when she did not sit straight, and father loved her. But not the older variation of her character.

Now, her beloved had abandoned her. Perhaps there was another, perhaps the other was himself. What was his excuse, though? She was dull. Her truth was unsettling, and she was not intelligent enough to be loved by a man of valor.

What is being kind if you are not beautiful?

Azucena drank from another port as he told of how he would treat her. The toxins coursed through her veins like poison.

“Really?” She asked, oblivious to his wandering gaze. The sound of his love wrapped its arms around her, in an embrace she needed as much as she had been raised to reject it. It had been years since she had felt that touch from anyone, and it would probably be a few more. Yet this was close. Close enough.

Orpheus’ words slurred and slowed, but she, with a grace that defied his own inebriation, continued to speak in perfect form. Despite his struggle to maintain consciousness, her presence was a beacon in the hazy night, and he found solace in the midst of the blurred lines and dulled senses, as he attempted to keep his eyes open to her enchanting presence.

As Orpheus’ eyes slowly pulled their way from his scarred palms to her visage once more, Orpheus could not help a smile that formed slowly across his face. Truly, it had been the first smile his features had known in some time.

“What happened to your palms, Lang?” Lilith asked as she poured herself another drink.

“Ah,” Orpheus started, awkwardly pulling his sleeves down to attempt to shield his palms from view. Although not secret, the scarring on his arms and hands always unnerved him. They held memories of a past that he would rather forget. “An accident is all. Broken glass can be quite sharp, it seems.” Orpheus laughed at his own joke, turning his body to face her again.

As they drank, the conversation seemed to flow with such ease, Orpheus thought he might be swept away by the undeniable charm the woman possessed. It was true that Orpheus had entertained many ladies in this very bar, using them as crutches for his own emotional desires. However, Lilith held a special sort of allure that he could not pry himself away from. It was as if her very being held its own gravitational pull, and Orpheus, as he was the moon in motion, was pulled into her orbit.

“The truth would be that… I must now grieve a friendship, and a love at once…” Orpheus felt a twisted sort of excitement at her words. The tragedy of losing a friend and a lover, oh, he knew that pain like a never ending knife, continually driving itself deeper into his chest. That pain was his own. That pain drove him here too.

And, if this woman, this bar maiden, could understand the suffering he felt, then perhaps destiny herself had brought the two together so that they might comfort each other in their shared grief over port and dried tears. So that perhaps, with time, Orpheus would learn mend his wounds, as she stated, instead of letting them continue to bleed.

“I know your pain in a way I cannot put into words, Lilith, for I, too, suffer from such an affliction. The grief of my lost love has weighed onme for many moons now. It is an inescapable sort of pain. It seems some children are born with tragedy in their veins…” Orpheus glanced down at his scars again, tightening his fists around the bottle he held. “But, I have found that you can think thatyou are in love when youare really just in pain…knowing that, I come here now, to numb it.” Orpheus admitted, the shame of his drinking growing into a red blush on his cheek.

“This to say, you are not alone in your torment, my love.” Orpheus looked to her, his eyes gentle and warm despite the coldness of the words he spoke previously.

“For as long as you suffer, I will suffer alongside you.” Orpheus took another swig of his wine, the familiarity of his words stinging his throat and burning his eyes with tears. He forced himself to meet Lilith’s eyes again.

Those beautiful blue eyes.

“I do appreciate your words, but you are drunk. You do not know me…” As she spoke, Orpheus placed a quieting hand on hers, his gaze locked on her features. The warmth of her hand under his own fueled a sudden desire for closeness. A sudden desire for her.

“I need not know you. For I understand your heart.” Orpheus’ voice was nearly whispered as he searched her eyes. Blue eyes. Not brown. Blue. Unfamiliarly deep eyes. Ocean eyes. Ones that called to him as a sirens song to a lost ship. He reminded himself of their distinction over and over again.
As quickly as he felt the pull toward her growing stronger, he pulled away, his hand darting from hers with a sharpness as he wrapped both hands around his glass again.

“My apologies…I must have forgotten myself.” Orpheus muttered, attempting to shake the thoughts from his mind. The thoughts that should not be there. Thoughts unfit for a gentleman.
Orpheus could hear the steady beat of his heart in his ears.

One, two, three
One, two, three

If Aurelia knew of his activities. If she were around to see him like this, what would she think?

But she is not here.

The small voice in his head reminded him.
Aurelia had been gone for weeks now, the hollowness of her absence was something Orpheus could never shake, even now. He longed for her more and more with each passing day, yet he knew she was lost to him, perhaps, irreparably.

Despite this, he cried for her, he drank to her, he whispered her name in his sleep.
And he could never escape her, not really, as her memory forever haunted his lingering thoughts.
Just as Orpheus was about to be pulled back into the darkest recesses of his own torment, Lilith spoke up beside him again.

“Really?” She asked. There was a lingering emotion in her face, a sort of longing that reflected Orpheus’ own heart.

They were the same, the pair of them.
Two scorned lovers, having lost more than they could afford, drinking their sorrows into submission, desperately searching for closeness.
A closeness they could provide each other.

“Really.” Orpheus answered, his mind lightening again. The gentle tug of his desperation pulling him back into alignment, within her reach.

“You deserve an encompassing love. One without expectation or limitation, one that fulfills your every desire, and thrills your every waking moment. If your lost love did not accomplish that task, then he, and your friend, are both at a loss. For I have known you for merely a night, and I know your company is worth one thousand fleeting romances, Lilith.” Orpheus slowly moved his hand to hers again, tilting his head slightly to discern whether she would pull away this time.

She did not.

“Thank you…for not leaving me alone to my despair this night. I, for one, have cherished your conversation. However, the morning grows near, and the port grows short at hand. I should be going.” Orpheus lifted her hand to his lips, giving it a soft kiss as he stood.

The burn of alcohol still swirled his senses, but he maintained his posture as he moved. The bitter glare of a soft morning light began to peak just outside the windows of the bar.

Had they talked for that long?

“Go safely, my dear.” Orpheus tilted his head in a short bow, turning to leave before he stopped short of the back door she had come in through.

“Oh, and-“ Orpheus turned back to her, his eyes holding a softness to them as he spoke. “Perhaps, do not linger too long on the lost. You never know what you might find when you let yourself…” Orpheus cut himself short, his drunken rambles losing their original intent.
“Until next time, lovely Lilith. I will think of you.” Orpheus took his final bow, stumbling through the back door and out into the still-dark, morning glow.

As he made the exasperating journey back home, his feet ached, his stomach churned, and his lips…curled into a brilliant smile.

”Until next time.” He had told her.

It had been a promise he intended to keep.

He did not seem to desire a discussion of his injuries. Azucena pitied him initially, figuring he might have been under an angry spell which caused him to break a bottle as he drank his sorrows away. Considering his general physique, and what little Azucena could assume of his character, he appeared to be a well gathered gentleman who was kind and dignified.

However, in this setting, she saw more than she knew of most men. Even Harrison had not collapsed in front of her in such a manner. It was enlightening; to enter another scene of life and earn a conociment that a man can feel as strongly as she, his glass heart breaking to the same shattering sound of hers. It felt as though so many people in her life she observed from afar, and spoke to across rooms. He, however, stood close enough for her to see the rise and fall of his chest through scattered breaths, and the veins of his skin dilate and contract when he spoke with passion.

If she saw another behave the same, she would most likely have vindicated the fellow.

Perhaps that were the reason she felt so much prejudice. She saw others struggling, but never connected with them intimately enough for her to feel their pain too.

It was strangely gorgeous, to know someone better than their friends while they were simultaneously a stranger. She did not know his second name, but she knew his last thoughts before bed, and why it was he could not sleep. How odd, that was.

The girl tried to disregard her curiousity. “I see.” She said quietly, tempted to embrace him a bit more.

She gave in; taking his hands and clasping them with her own. She no longer cared if it stained her fingers red. “I see your regret,” She corrected her previous statement. “Do not blame yourself for this accident, for I do not know you either, yet I do know that throughout the entirety of this conversation you have made me feel nothing but better. And I would like to return that favor to you.” She gave a small smile when she pulled away, warming up to him slowly.

It was this place in which Azucena could reveal a bit more of her humanity. By day, Blue was well aware she is percieved as a conceited noble girl, who had never known struggle, and cried as she bathed in diamonds. They knew she was never one to comment on public controversy, and turned a blind eye to the agony of others in order to avoid conflict for herself. Really, she surprised herself as well.

Azucena also knew her hands were cold, and she had a different sized utensil for each course of her meal. She knew she slept in silk sheets, and would detect a pea beneath her mattress if there it lied. Where did this sudden empathy come from?

He concurred in her wallows, and for some unknown reason, she was a bit stung by his mention of another beloved. She imagined this woman he spoke of. In her head she was a brunette, with a small, sharp nose and brown doe eyes. Traditional, but soft, in the same way he was. Like they had a great love, before she disappeared. She feared to ask what happened, and instead imagined she was struck by illness. Of course, that question might have hurt to hear, and might have broken him if he replied.

Suffering together. She pondered the thought. If they had both been in love, and both been let down, what did that make their relationship? It was not a second chance. For now, at least, she saw him in a more platonic light. Could they be friends? That seemed rather ill-fit considering their roles as members of the opposite sex. However, it did feel fitting considering their dynamic.

They were birds on a wire, and if that was enough to soothe her heartache, she was conformed. He seemed her shoulder to cry, and she could be the pillow he held to feel less lonely.

“Thank you.” She told him. “And I do not mean to ask too much of you, but do tell. What was this woman to you?” She asked, referring to the status of their relationship. She wondered if he had loved, perhaps he had been married. She wished to read his fables, and the legends he told of his life outside of that room.

She noticed his blush, and her gaze softened. “You may share as you wish, Lang. I will not judge you.” Azu reassured him, feeling the roots of their blossoming friendship rise to a clear sprout.

He placed a hand on hers, and she did not move from this position. Unexpectedly, she was at peace with this touch, where she otherwise would have tucked her hand at her side. Perhaps it was the influence of the tonic she had been ingesting, but she had felt tempted to draw nearer, closer to her new friend. Make him feel warm.

He understood her heart. The thought of that perplexed her, yet she agreed. In just a few hours, he had comprehended much more about her than the fickle few who attempted to for months, even years. “Come to think of it, I do agree with you. And I thank you for hearing me, I do not remember the last occurence where I spoke with someone this way.” The girl admitted, opening up as she continued.

Suddenly, he pulled away, and her expression faltered. Come back. She thought. But as her training demands, she ignored his retraction. Azucena said nothing, just nodded and allowed him to continue.

Really. He assured her, continuing on a whim. She felt appreciated, and her cheek grew a rosy color. “Thank you.” She said, for what felt like the thousandth time in their interaction. He was too kind. He placed his hand back where it had been before, and she felt tempted to pull away. However, as he looked her in the eyes, she supposed it would not be the worst idea to stay.

He said his goodbyes, indicating at the sun emerging on the horizon. It did not seem possible for it to have been so long since she first arrived. She assumed she would be leaving soon as well. She allowed him to speak, returning into her shy capsule that contained her spirit, listening as he continued speaking in his lovely junction of speech.

“Next time.” She nodded quietly, watching as he left.

Then, she looked to the bartender and they waited until he was sure to have left for her to see herself out, riding back home in her carriage as the horses galloped quickly, attempting to return before sunrise. The girl snuck back into the comfort of her quarters, pleased to know that her rather pitiful day had brightened at some point.

Eighteen years. Eighteen years she had been alive, and she had yet to resolve the many conflicts that faced her. So many dreams to chase still, so much time to continue running.

Perhaps this encounter had been a gift from Him, giving her a bit of hope within what she feared to have lost. What a wonderful gift to receive; a conversation where she could share what she did not, and a fresh voice to confide in. She, too, wished to meet him again.

Until next time. She thought when she settled into her bedsheets, suspiring for her slumber.

mentioned:
Lia (@benitz786)
Harrison (@Kristi)
and uh
@sunflowerjm @Jass just bc you guys should read

4 Likes

86f66602d08dc77a6f57dbbe1fba133f0a635fbe_2_690x203

Two days before the ball

As Ilyas Keats steps into The Crow Bar, he’s instantly hit by a wave of nostalgia. The dimly lit establishment with its mahogany paneling and worn leather seats feels like a time capsule from his youth. It’s been years since he frequented this place, years of school and absence from the town that was once his home.

Tonight, he stands at the precipice of a significant transition, and The Crow Bar seems like the ideal place to start the process. Hee arrived back home a few days earlier than his parents had anticipated, not exactly eager to immerse himself in the familiar yet somehow alien surroundings.

The ambient clinking of glasses and the hum of conversations wash over him as he sits at the bar. He’s not yet ready to reacquaint himself with the life he once knew, nor to fully engage with the people who remain in this ton. These few days serve as a buffer, an opportunity to ease himself back into the rhythm of the place he left behind.

Familiar faces begin to recognize him and mutter the expected words: “You’re back early.” He acknowledges their observations with a nod, the agreement unspoken but understood. There’s a curiosity that needs sating, a yearning to reconnect with the bonds he once cherished, a thirst to understand how much he’s transformed in this time away, and how the town has evolved. But this homecoming is not a joyous one; it’s a reminder of obligations and expectations, not the eagerly anticipated return of a prodigal son.

Ilyas sat at the bar, nursing his drink and ruminating on these thoughts. The atmosphere in the crowded tavern offered him a semblance of anonymity, a brief respite from the expectations and uncertainties that awaited him at home.His sisteer’s letters had painted a picture of anticipation and warmth, suggesting that his parents were indeed happy to see him. However, Ilyas had a gnawing feeling that his father’s delight might not be as genuine. It was a complex blend of emotions he had yet to unravel.

The Crow Bar remains a bleak sanctuary of sorts, a transitory place caught between a past he no longer recognizes and the uncertain future he dreads. As he raises his glass in a half-hearted toast to memories he’s outgrown, forced to engage in once-familiar conversations with the townsfolk he left behind, Ilyas begins to realize that returning home is a necessary yet painful act of playing a role he’s long outgrown. The bar is a reminder of the unchanging sameness that no longer fits who he’s become.

In his final months at school, Ilyas found himself grappling with a newfound sense of loneliness. The school had become a stark contrast to the home he once knew, and the change of scenery, while initially disheartening, had offered him a necessary escape from the shadows of his own past. He had been quietly grieving a profound loss, one that weighed heavily on his shoulders and kept him secluded from the camaraderie he had once embraced with open arms. Not to mention his trusty partner in crime was no longer around.

Ilyas understood the primary reason for his early return—his father’s expectations were crystal clear. It was time to embark on the grand task of finding a wife. He couldn’t help but picture the list his mother undoubtedly had prepared, a roster of eligible women to be paraded before him, each chosen with utmost care to ensure their compatibility with his station and family name.

As the evening progressed, Ilyas found himself seeking refuge in the bottom of his glass. The liiqquor offered a temporary reprieve from the responsibilities, the judgments, and the weight of expectations that loomed on the horizon. He started responding to the townsfolk’s remarks with wit so dry, it could rival the Sahara. When one person asked if he had changed, he replied, “Not at all, but I’ve grown slightly. A bit to the left, I believe.” The response drew a mix of polite chuckles, confused stares, and a few hearty laughs. His deadpan humor was like a refreshing twist in their predictable conversations, and he couldn’t help but enjoy the quirky reactions he provoked.

Each sip was a small act of rebellion against the fate his parents had carefully crafted foor him, an act of defiance that would surely intensify with each successive drink. Ilyas’s sarcastic quip drew mixed reactions from the people around him, but one person didn’t appreciate his humor. A man, clearly irritated by Ilyas’s comments, shot him a look of utter bewilderment. Ilyas, caught off guard, blinked in surprise, and his inebriation muddled his reaction. He raised an eyebrow at the man, temporarily abandoning his dry humor as he grappled with the peculiar exchange.
@DandelionKate

2 Likes

Orpheus, like every night before, was perched at his regular bar stool at the Black Crow Bar. Now four bottles of port deep, Orpheus could barely hold his head up. The familiar lull of alcohol pulling him from his chaotic mind into a more soothing emptiness. The voices of the people around him blurred into a soft hum until one voice in particular shot him from his near drunken slumber.

“Not at all, but I’ve grown slightly. A bit to the left, I believe.” A man’s voice caught his ear. Orpheus knew that voice, and he had known it well. Orpheus turned his head, his eyes sharp and filled with a burning hatred he had often hidden away.

Ilyas Keats.
He was back.

It had been two years since Orpheus had last seen Ilyas. Their previous encounter having been brief and unpleasant to say the least.

A strange mix of emotions filled his head where the alcohol had once emptied it, a swirl of drunken anger and pain. Yet, as Orpheus’ eyes scanned Ilyas’ face as he sat across the bar, Orpheus felt a strange pull.

He had grown.

Perhaps a little to the left, but Orpheus held no interest in discovering if that were true or not.
In any case, Ilyas’ features were more defined now, older. His eyes held a more mature darkness that Orpheus found intriguing. He wondered what had happened in his time away to cause Ilyas’ eyes to darken so. His jawline was more pronounced and shaped his features nicely. And his hair, ever springing and bouncing with each movement, perfectly curled atop his head.

Despite how mature Ilyas appeared, he always had a knack for running his mouth like a child.
Something Orpheus desperately wanted to shut.

“You need not tell everyone, Ilyas. Half the ton knows of your…growth.” Orpheus’ face held an amused satisfaction as he chuckled to himself, stiffening slightly as he turned to face Ilyas fully.

Their eyes met.

The hatred, raw and unrelenting, simmered just below the surface. It was as if his very soul carried the weight of their shared history, the betrayals and the wounds that defied articulation. In that moment, words felt futile, and all Orpheus could do was fixate on the embodiment of his disdain from across the bar, the unspoken hatred they shared, a force that bound them together.

“The prodigal son returns. I suppose bedding every woman in France was not enough?“ Orpheus paused, his distain growing stronger as Ilyas held his gaze. There was a youthful tension of unresolved pain and hatred that Orpheus had carried with him throughout the years.

“Why are you here, Keats?” Orpheus spat, his eyes growing darker still as he took a sip of his port.

No matter where he went, how far he traveled, or how many years they spent apart, Ilyas Keats seemed to work his way back into Orpheus’ life time and time again.

It seems they could not escape each other.

Two men, with hearts at odds and a history marred by animosity, found themselves continually drawn together by a seemingly cruel twist of fate. It was as if Ilyas was a rose whose thorns snagged each fragment of Orpheus’ time, ripping and tearing a hole in Orpheus’ mind, one he could not fix nor replace.

And each time Ilyas showed up, he took another piece of Orpheus when he left.

‘For once,’ Orpheus thought to himself, ‘it is my turn.’

mentioned:
Ilyas (@Madilnel)

(not my best or most detailed work lmao but I’m so excited for them to talk I don’t even care about the fluff. like I’m ready to fight. I wanna punch his dumb face so baddd)

3 Likes

Two days before the ball

Orpheus’s jest reached Ilyas’s ears, and he couldn’t help but feel a twinge of embarrassment as the man laughed heartily at his own quip. Ilyas was acutely aware that his brief absence from the town had left it ripe for the rumor mill to churn out tales and half-truths. Now, as he reacquainted himself with the gossipy society, he knew that the people he met were likely already privy to the rumors.

Their eyes met, and in that brief moment, Ilyas sensed a potent mixture of resentment, envy, and possibly an underlying grudge that had festered through the years. Orpheus’s animosity toward him was a complex and tangled web, rooted in past grievances and a sense of rivalry that Ilyas couldn’t fully comprehend. It was a bitter brew, one that had never been addressed or resolved, merely left to simmer in the background of their interactions.

Orpheus’s mocking tone and probing words grated on Ilyas’s nerves. He took a slow sip from his glass, a shield against the irritation that threatened to surface. His gaze narrowed, and he observed Orpheus closely, trying to decipher the underlying motive for the man’s continuous taunts. “You seem to have a keen interest in my activities, Orpheus. I wasn’t aware you were keeping such close tabs on my whereabouts,” he retorted, his voice laced with a layer of icy indifference.

Ilyas leaned back in his chair, taking a moment before answering, his gaze locked onto Orpheus. “You know, Orpheus,” he began with a mischievous glint in his eye, “Well, you see, I decided it was high time I took a hiatus from my bustling life and graced our beloved little ton with my distinguished presence once more. It’s the perfect setting for reacquainting myself with old acquaintances and partaking in the… um, unique local festivities. You know, relive old memories, see familiar faces… like yours.”

With a sly smile, Ilyas leaned in a little closer and said, “Orpheus, I hear you’ve been quite busy trying to fill the void left by my absence. Must be exhausting trying to keep up with all that I’ve left behind, don’t you think?”

Ilyas couldn’t help but feel a twisted sense of satisfaction. Orpheus had always been a thorn in his side, and it was amusing to see him squirm, even if just for a moment. Deep down, he knew this was a foolish game, but in that moment, it provided a strange kind of solace.

The tense silence hung in the air, and Ilyas couldn’t resist a playful smirk as he continued, “But no need to worry Orpheus. I’m back now, and I’m sure I can find ways to fill my time.” He leaned back, taking another sip of his drink, satisfied with the reaction he’d provoked.

Ilyas couldn’t resist a bit of taunting, especially when he saw Orpheus’s stoic expression. “Orpheus, if you were any stiffer, you’d need a tailor to custom-make your own corset to cinch you up.” He grinned, the thinly veiled insult was calculated to provoke a response. He accompanied the comment with a playful wink, making it clear he was testing the limits of Orpheus’s patience.

@DandelionKate

3 Likes

Orpheus felt the pang of intrusion slowly eat at the composure he had always barely held together. In Ilyas’ presence that composure hung on a thin thread, the heat of his anger always threatening to burn it loose.

The dimly lit bar provided a refuge from the storm of emotions that raged within him on a daily basis. Angry and disheartened, he sought solace in the dimly lit corner, nursing a glass of port, hoping the blood red liquid might quell the turmoil brewing in his soul.

Ilyas had broken that peace that the bar had always brought him. Filling it with an uncomfortable mix of emotions and pain that pulled Orpheus from his own drunken thoughts.

The bar, once a sanctuary, had transformed into an arena for a battle of emotions, where the anger he had hoped to escape now raged uncontainable.

“You seem to have a keen interest in my activities, Orpheus. I wasn’t aware you were keeping such close tabs on my whereabouts,” Ilyas stated, the smug expression on his face causing Orpheus to grip his bottle tighter until his knuckles turned white.

“Making sure you stay as far from here as possible. Clearly, however, you keep crawling back like a stray rodent.” Orpheus spat, his jaw clenching.

“It’s the perfect setting for reacquainting myself with old acquaintances and partaking in the… um, unique local festivities. You know, relive old memories, see familiar faces… like yours.” Ilyas smirked. Orpheus felt his face grow red hot, the anger building in his chest like a constant pounding beat.

He could only contain himself for so long.

Ilyas’ taunts always had a way of eating away at his patience and his composure.

“Unfortunate, you deem my features familiar as your face is one I hoped to forget.” Orpheus said, growing exhausted already with Ilyas’ childish remarks.

Ilyas continued, each comment driving Orpheus further from his seat. Orpheus fought the urge to shut him up, his eyes glaring through the now blurred faces of the bar patrons. Everything seemed to slow. The only things Orpheus could hear, were Ilyas, and his own heartbeat. Angry, melodic, fast.

One, two, three.

One, two, three.

“But no need to worry, Orpheus. I’m back now…” Ilyas’ voice came as a screeching chill, sending pained shivers down Orpheus’ spine, his words itching like a venomous threat.

Orpheus tried to drown out Ilyas’ voice, scared of losing himself to his anger and his drink. The alcohol took a toll on his mind, and his emotions were more violent and uncontrollable than usual.

“Orpheus, if you were any stiffer, you’d need a tailor to custom-make your own corset to cinch you up.” Ilyas quipped.

“You sure seem to love saying my name…” Orpheus retorted, looking up from his drink to meet Ilyas’ eyes again. Orpheus’ eyes grew dark under a furrowed brow, his anger peaking as Ilyas shot him a teasing wink. A pang of hatred washed over him, his vision going red. Orpheus stood, his anger a slow monster pulling him closer and closer to the breaking point.

Orpheus walked over to Ilyas, drink in hand. Taking one final swing, clearing the bottle, Orpheus leaned his arm around Ilyas and set the bottle behind him on the bar table.

Their faces now mere inches apart, the alcohol swirling in his mind, Orpheus felt his fists clenched against him, waiting for another comment.

Just one more.

“Your comments are cute, Keats. Try saying them to my face.” Orpheus spoke slowly, the hatred and distain dripped from every word he let fall.

He leaned so close he could nearly hear Ilyas’ heartbeat quicken in time with his own.

One, two, three.

One, two, three.

mentioned:
Ilyas (@Madilnel)

2 Likes

Two days before the ball

Ilyas couldn’t help but chuckle inwardly at Orpheus’s less-than-stellar retort. He replied with an air of indifference, “Well, you know what they say about stray rodents – they usually find the best scraps in the most unexpected places.” The exchange was far from the usual witty banter he enjoyed with friends, but with Orpheus, it was a game of one-upmanship, and he intended to play his part.

As Ilyas bantered with Orpheus, his thoughts drifted for a moment. He pondered why their interactions always devolved into petty rivalry. He couldn’t pinpoint the root cause of their hate, but he knew Orpheus’s presence never failed to amuse him. Despite the simmering tension, Ilyas was determined to maintain his nonchalant demeanor, concealing the unease that gnawed at him beneath the surface.

Ilyas’s lips curled into a sly grin, his tone laced with a hint of mischief. “It’s a captivating name, Orpheus. Such a pleasure to enunciate.” His comment was delivered with a playful cadence, and he met Orpheus’s gaze steadily, challenging him to continue their verbal duel.

Ilyas quirked an eyebrow at Orpheus’s statement, his dry humor resurfacing as he replied, “But Orpheus, I thought you enjoyed admiring my handsome face from a distance.” His words were delivered with a sardonic twist, a playful jibe aimed at his rival. The atmosphere between them remained charged, each word sparking another round of their verbal sparring.

As Orpheus loomed closer, his breath heavy with tension, Ilyas met his gaze head-on, refusing to back down. Their close proximity did little to quell the palpable friction between them, each moment laden with unresolved hostility.

lyas could practically feel the heat of the anger radiating off him. With a sly grin, Ilyas leaned in slightly and quipped, “Well, I must admit, your sharp tongue only adds to your allure.” The words dripped with a flirtation but were laced with a subtle intent to stoke the fires of irritation within Orpheus.

Ilyas couldn’t resist a playful smirk as he leaned in closer, the alcohol making him bolder. “Maybe I should whisper sweet nothings in your ear, Orpheus. It may bring out your charming side.” His words dripped with sarcasm, and he knew he was pushing the limits of their rivalry, but it was hard to resist the opportunity to rile Orpheus up even more.The tension between them was electric, and Ilyas reveled in it, pushing the boundaries of their contentious relationship even further.

@DandelionKate hehe

2 Likes

As the room buzzed with oblivious laughter and chatter, Orpheus was locked in a silent battle with his own emotions. The line between restraint and eruption was as thin as a whisper, a whisper that Ilyas never failed to deliver with a snarky expression and a cool gaze.

Orpheus felt his heart rate pick up quicker as the closeness between them became inescapable. Their eyes were locked into each others in a fiery test of wills, the tensions building with each heavy and angered breath. Orpheus could feel the heat that radiated off of his own body.

“Well, I must admit, your sharp tongue only adds to your allure.” Ilyas’ flirtations were not lost to Orpheus. Orpheus knew of his methods of deflection, a subtle wink, a witty compliment to pull your mind from the truth. Orpheus had seen these methods work on others, on his love interests, on his friends, and Orpheus would be damned before he allowed them to work on him too.

“I cannot say I find yours as amusing, Ilyas. Someone should do something about that mouth of yours…” Orpheus fought his own mind, attempting to pull himself out of the place he was sinking into. His eyes darting briefly to Ilyas’ lips as he contemplated his next move.

How satisfying would his fist feel against those very lips?

“Maybe I should whisper sweet nothings in your ear, Orpheus. It may bring out your charming side.” Ilyas’ voice was an ever agitating reminder of every aspect of Orpheus’ life he had failed in. Each relationship and romance that fizzled underneath Ilyas’ presence.

He was the sole cause of everything wrong in Orpheus’ life.
He always had been. He always would be.

“Maybe I should shut your mouth for you since you seem to be unsure of when to stop moving it.” Orpheus spoke slowly, deeply, his voice reaching a darkened rasp he did not know it held.

As quickly as the words fell from his mouth, Orpheus grabbed Ilyas, forced him from his seat and back into a lone corner of the bar out of public view.

Orpheus felt his hands grip Ilyas’ shoulder so tight, for a moment, he thought he might break it.
Orpheus slammed Ilyas against the back bar wall, his eyes dark and cold now.

Orpheus held one hand on Ilyas’ shoulder, the other, gripping right underneath that matured and chiseled jaw.

His hands wrapped dangerously tight around Ilyas’ neck, careful not to squeeze too hard, but hard enough to shut him up, his fingers wrapping up around his mouth as he held him.

“Keep talking…” Orpheus’ words came as a half-plead, half-threat.

In his drunken state, every inhibition he had ever held back was slowly fading. Orpheus knew his father would be livid with the current state of Orpheus’ position, having a future Duke pinned to a dirty bar wall, yet Orpheus could not let go. Each memory of Ilyas’ torment played over and over in his mind, a continued reminder of the pain he had caused throughout the years. His composure slipped into the bottom of his port bottle, and he had absolutely no desire to pick it back up.

The deep-seated anger of his past forced his hands to grip Ilyas tighter and tighter…

mentioned:
Ilyas (@Madilnel)

3 Likes

BainbridgeBrantley-min

After the dance with Bridget and before the dance with Louisa, or …

in between dances two and three

After the dance with Bridget was done and they’ve said their goodbyes, Bainbridge noticed how Belle has approoached Louisa and he was about to impose on their conversation. He had time before the third dance would start to talk with both of them and to reconcile with Belle, who probably still dislikes his presence, before he would whisk Louisa away to dance with her. However, that didn’t happen considering Bainbridge was stopped by somebody touching his shoulder as he was just about to go to the ladies.

“My you’re a fast one.” Said his aunt. “Thankfully, I’m faster on my feet than you are in your intensions. Before you go, I need to ask you something of great importance.” He turned around and asked “What is it aunt?” He asked, turning around to face her.
“It’s a very straightforward question, really … I saw you dancing with Lady Beckham. Do you have any intentions of calling on her tomorrow morning?”
Bainbridge hadn’t thought of that … He assumed she was a friend and gave himself the liberty of a dance, but he hasn’t imagined courting her, but after talking to her today he also saw no reason why not to do just that. Since it was a straightforward question it also has to be a straightforwards yes or no answer. But he wouldn’t say no just because he doesn’t want to make his answer sounds as if there’s no future there … After all, he imagined great lovers have to be friends as well, and enjoy each other’s company, so courting a friend and seeing if it blossoms or no would feel natural to him.
“Yes!” He answered, finally. “Aunt, I am sorry to run off, but I have promised a dance to a young lady and I have to leave or I will miss the entrance.” He said before hugging her and leaving. He joined Belle and Louisa, but due to the delay by his aunt he was unable to have a conversation like he hoped and has to immediately take Louisa away from Belle’s company. He would not dance with her and miss it had it been anbody but Louisa, but he knew both him and Louisa would get a propper tongue lashing had her mother discovered Bainbridge’s name on her dance card with no dance occuring. She would accuse them of conspiring to ruin Louisa’s chances forever by writing his name down to erase suspicion from her mother.

Althea, however, has went in the opposite direction of Bainbridge. She approached a certain viscount and his mother. “Good day, Lord and Lady Beckham. I see your daughter’s misfortune doesn’t reflect on her dance skills. She danced splendidly with my nephew. I have his word that he intends to call on her. Do you think you can encourage him to do more? I think their union would be great for both sides and they seem like they could enjoy each other’s company.”

@Bluecookies - Viscount and Dowager Viscountess Beckham
@Kristi - Belle mentioned
@Ouijaloveletters - Louisa mentioned

1 Like

{ before dance 4 / with Augustus }

⎯⎯ ୨୧ ⎯⎯

Margo felt a mixture of flattery and a gentle sense of warmth upon hearing Augustus’s words. His compliment was unexpected, and it touched her deeply. The rosy blush that graced her cheeks betrayed the warmth she felt inside, and she couldn’t help but smile in response. ”Oh, my lord, your sister is a true delight, and I’m honored by her sweet words… And yours,“ Margo began, her voice soft and filled with sincerity. ”It warms my heart to know that she holds such a delightful opinion of me. The thought of making the flowers smile is a charming one, I must admit the girl has a magical imagination. I’ve always believed that nature has a language of its own, a silent poetry that speaks to those who are willing to listen. And your family’s garden truly is magnificent, a sanctuary of beauty and tranquility.“ Margo’s response was filled with a genuine appreciation for the beauty of the natural world, and she couldn’t help but share her thoughts with Augustus. His words had drawn her into the conversation, and she wanted to convey not only her gratitude for the compliment but also her own connection to the garden.

”But I have to ask,“ Margo began with a playful glint in her eyes, her laughter bubbling just beneath the surface as she bit her lip, her gaze now drifting toward the couples gracefully waltzing on the ballroom floor. ”I happened upon your dear sister once, all by herself, right beside that majestic tree of yours. I can’t quite fathom her grand design, but I believe she was attempting to make a cozy house for a squirrel or some other woodland creature at the very pinnacle of the tree. Did she, by any chance, achieve her endeavor or was it a secret I’ve unveiled now?“ The thought of the girl’s young adventurous spirit and her attempt to create a treehouse for a furry friend at the top of the tree was a charming one. An imaginative and playful nature even Margaret held when she was the same age as Augustus’ sister.

Revealing a little secret, Magaret hoped Augustus would do the same but as much as she might’ve been disappointed he didn’t, she couldn’t help but appreciate his gentlemanly approach to the question - his answer carefully constructed to acknowledge the presence and charm of the other ladies at the ball while still keeping the conversation engaging. With a shy smile, she replied, ”Such a diplomatic response, my lord, and one befitting a true gentleman. But there must have been a particular moment or dance that stood out, even if just a little, in your memory. It need not be a lady, you see, but perhaps a dance or conversation that held a touch of enchantment for you.“ Margaret’s words were an invitation to share a more personal perspective, a chance to delve deeper into the nuances of the evening. Her smile growing bigger with a hint of mischief in her eyes.

She thought of a fun and slightly embarrassing moment she had witnessed upon her arrival at the ball. She decided to share it with Augustus in the hopes of lightening the mood and making him more open to answering her question. With a mischievous glint in her eye, she leaned in closer and said, ”You know, my lord, upon my arrival at the ball, I happened to witness a rather amusing incident. A young gentleman, who was clearly a bit overwhelmed by the event, tripped over his own feet while attempting a particularly intricate dance move. He stumbled but managed to recover with such elegance that it became a part of his dance routine. The lady he was dancing with seemed quite charmed.“ Margaret chuckled softly. ”It made me realize that even in the most sophisticated settings, we’re all human and prone to the occasional mishap.“

⎯⎯ ୨୧ ⎯⎯

@/Madilnel - cutie

1 Like

Start dance number four Priti Mehta

Navigating through the ballroom after his conversation with Abigail had ended, Baylor soon spotted Priti in the midst of a group of guests. Her presence, as always, was captivating, and Baylor approached with a charming smile, making sure not to interrupt the ongoing conversation. Baylor recalled the earlier conversation with Belle, during which they had discussed the idea of inviting Priti to a tea party at Belle’s family estate. The prospect of an event that could bring Priti into a more social setting and create more connections for her intrigued him, yet also worried him slightly. Having her live at the Rutherford estate, it meant she was automatically connected to the Rutherford name. This while he did not even really know the lady. He had seen her of course, but he had not had much time yet to actually talk to her. So he decided it would be a good idea to maybe approach her for a dance, yet again, with a slight hesitation. Society judged, very easily, Priti living at his family’s estate and them being seen together, it came with the risk of spreading rumours. What would people think of him being with a lady he had every opportunity to do inappropriate things with? He needed to handle this with caution, make sure this would not turn into some scandal when there was not one.

Approaching Priti for a dance seemed a plausible formal introduction. It was a gesture both appropriate for a social event and it allowed them to engage in a conversation. Therefore, as Baylor first spoke to Priti, he did so with a welcoming smile and a nod, acknowledging the ongoing discussion among the group of guests. “Lady Priti Mehta, it’s a pleasure to see you here tonight.” he began with genuine interest, “I trust you’re enjoying your time in England at our estate, and the excitement of the London season? It’s quite a change from your usual surroundings of India, I imagine.”

Pausing to extend his hand for the forthcoming dance, Baylor continued, “As we both reside under the same roof, and yet remain strangers, I thought it prudent to rectify this matter. Would you do me the honor of sharing a dance? It seems a suitable opportunity for us to become better acquainted.” The music had already commenced, and he promptly guided her to a less crowded section of the dance floor as they embarked on the elegant motions of the evening’s dance.

@Caticorn - Priti
@LunaticLeviTheSecond - Abigail (mentioned so you know how their interaction ends too)
@Kristi - Belle (briefly mentioned)

2 Likes

Opening ball, 1789, London

Mervinia smiled warmly at Darius, her eyes gleaming with enthusiasm. She appreciated his genuine interest in the artistic movement and his proposal was nothing short of intriguing. Something about their shared passion for art had made her look differently at him. Could the first gentleman she had been talking to actually be the one for her maybe? Now she looked at him directly in the eyes, she felt that even with the awkward beginnings of their acquaintance, she thoroughly desired to get to know him better.

“Mr. Cuthberg, your suggestion is most captivating,” she replied with a soft chuckle. “I must admit, your words have truly inspired me. To think that we might become pioneers of this movement ourselves, creating art that could shape the future… it’s a thrilling thought. I would be delighted for you to visit the Northwick estate for a painting session next week, for we have an exquisite studio.” she turned a bit red as she continued, “I can’t promise to be as beautiful a subject as you imagine, but I’m certainly eager to be a part of this endeavor. Let us embark on this creative journey together.”

With those words, she extended an invitation and felt a connection with Darius that went beyond their shared passion for art. As the ball continued around them, they exchanged smiles, their conversation leaving her with a sense of anticipation and the hope that their paths would cross again soon, in the studio or perhaps beyond.

Week after the opening ball, 1789, London, Northwick estate

The week had passed quickly, and Mervinia found herself growing increasingly excited about the upcoming painting session with Darius. She had prepared herself, selecting a gown that was both elegant and comfortable for the occasion, organised the studio to perfection over and over again, and she had even spent some time contemplating what she might like to paint.

As the day of their appointment drew near, she found it difficult to contain her anticipation. Each passing hour felt like an eternity, and she couldn’t help but wonder if Darius shared the same level of enthusiasm.

Now the day had come, she put on her soft lavender muslin empire dress. It was a most beautiful high waisted dress, with delicate lace and embroidery. She paced the drawing room, occasionally staring out the window, hoping to catch a glimpse of him approaching the estate. Her heart raced as the appointed time drew near, and she couldn’t help but feel a mixture of eagerness and nervousness. Would he arrive on time? Would their painting session be as delightful as she had envisioned?

With every passing minute, Mervinia’s excitement grew, and she couldn’t wait to begin this artistic journey with Darius. The thought of creating something new and beautiful in the style of the Romantic artistic movement filled her with hope and anticipation, and she hoped that Darius would soon arrive to share in this creative endeavor.

As Mervinia caught sight of Darius approaching, a bright smile spread across her face. She couldn’t contain her excitement any longer. With grace and poise, she moved to the entrance to welcome him, chaperoned by her mother who would be watching them from some distance. Her little brother and sister were watched by their grandmother today, something Mervinia was quite grateful for. She adored her siblings, but especially her younger sister was way too playful. She would find some way to ruin this painting session for her and Darius.

“Mr. Cuthberg,” she greeted him with genuine enthusiasm in her voice. “I’ve been eagerly awaiting your arrival. It’s a pleasure to see you once again. I trust you had a pleasant journey here?”

She extended her hand for a gentle handshake, her eyes sparkling with anticipation as she added, “Shall we proceed to the studio, where our creative adventure awaits us?” Mervinia was more than ready to embark on this artistic journey with Darius, and her gracious demeanor showed her genuine interest in their shared endeavor.

2 Likes

The second upon hearing Lady Fitzroy diminish his sister even in passing, he frowned and started to say something unbecoming of a Viscount before remembering he couldn’t afford to be anything less than cordial, he simply scoffed lightly “Yes, well, my sister’s misfortune, as you so eloquently put it, does not reflect anything about her in the slightest. Despite it, she can speak five languages fluently, play both the violin and pianoforte exceptionally well by ear since childhood, can ride a horse skillfully enough to be considered professional if I say so myself, can do some basic arithmetic in her head because I taught her how, dance a repetitive pattern well and switch between two dances, and though it is not last of her great talents she sings rather well if only to our younger siblings. She is the humblest woman I have ever had the good fortune of knowing as she would deny every bit of what I have said here tonight though it does not make it less than truth.”

Viscountess Beckham smiled nervously, “Yes, my daughter’s accomplishments are nothing short of miraculous however, it still does not change the other truth that your sister needs a husband. Someone who can provide for her and ensure she is well taken care of.” She said her gaze turning upon her son. “And who better a suitor than a family friend of ours for many years. However, I do not know how much convincing I can be, Lady Fitzroy. While I do not doubt Lord Brantley’s intentions, it can be argued that most men would rather want a lady with all her senses about her. If she does not find a husband during her debut season, I have little hope she will find one at all.”

@LunaticLeviTheSecond

1 Like

When she suggested a meeting at her estate, Darius had to constrain himself not to show too much excitement. He was excited to have a friend just as passionate about art as he is willingly do something so forward and artistical with him but he was also excited to draw such a pretty subject.
"I would be delighted for you to visit the Northwick estate for a painting session next week, for we have an exquisite studio.”
“And I would be delighted to accept your invitation.” He smiled “I cannot wait to see the studio you speak of, but I do hope we might also venture into the gardens and paint a bit there. Somewhere in the open, but not so far away there would be justifiable cause for rumors.”
"“I can’t promise to be as beautiful a subject as you imagine, but I’m certainly eager to be a part of this endeavor. Let us embark on this creative journey together.”
[color=purple]“I don’t imagine you as beautiful, I percieve you as such. Trust me madam, if you’ll be there the beauty I seek will follow.” He smiled, softly kissed her hand as a gesture of saying goodbye and left her as he was being called by his cousin Daniel.

Next week

For Darius the week between the dance and the meeting seemed to both move at a slow pace and at a fast pace. He was counting the minutes until he’d get to embark on this journey with her, and excitement brought him closer to the date, but when excitement left, boredom, and a wish for the day to come sooner, replaced the excitement. On the day he slept very poorly but after waking up so early he could not fall asleep again evein if he slept too little that night.

He brought a few canvases with him, and carried them all the way from the carriage to her front door, himself.
Madam, if my journey was pleasant, I attribute it all to the excitement of being graced by your company again. It was hard for him to drop the charm, but what he so charmingly said was nothing but complete truth, although she might not realise it.

"Well, if your parents don’t wish to meet with me first, I have no objection to heading straight to the studio.

@Jass - Mervinia

“Lord Beckham, you don’t need to assure me in your sister’s talents. Trust me, I am well aware of their exsitance, and outstanding number dispite her blindness … If she is as amazing as both my niece and nephew make her out as, then she is one of a kind. However, you must admit that becuase of her humble nature and the fact she doesn’t like showcasing some of her talents to others, strangers are likely to never get to know that talented side of her. I believe if she doesn’t start singing and riding horses in public so people can see how exceptional she is, a suitor would hardly find his way to her. I propose we encourage Bainbridge to make his way to her, I believe he would be a great husband to her and make her very happy. And she would make him happy for he already admires her.”
She turned to the lady and said. “Vicountess I understand you completely. I feel I might never get my niece married. She speaks of marriage as if she were Benedick, but I fear she might never find her Beatrice. I always knew Bainbridge would marry once, but he thinks of marriage in such an opposite way of his sister … I sometimes fear he would end up in a unhappy marriage just becuase he was forced into it which I think would shatter him.”

@Bluecookies

1 Like