Bridgerton Miscellaneous Thread

Week after the opening ball, 1789, London, Northwick estate

“Your words are most kind and your presence is a delightful start to the day,” Mervinia replied with a warm smile. She couldn’t help but appreciate his genuine enthusiasm and the effort he had made to bring canvases with him, a thoughtful gesture that did not go unnoticed.

Her heart skipped a beat as she continued, “As for my parents, my father is occupied this morning, and my mother shall be chaperoning throughout the day. There’s no need for formalities right now, you shall have the whole day to get acquainted. Let’s head straight to the studio and make the most of our time.” she gave a faint smile at Darius, then briefly looked at her mother behind her in the hallway who gave her a small nod showing she supported the words her daughter had spoken.

With that, she gestured for him to follow her towards the studio, her excitement for the day ahead building once more. The promise of artistic exploration and the potential for a deeper connection left her looking forward to what the day might bring. As they entered the well-lit and well-organized studio at the Northwick estate, Mervinia felt a surge of inspiration. The sight of her neatly arranged canvases, brushes, and an array of vivid colors filled her with a sense of purpose.

With a graceful flourish, she selected a canvas, one he had brought, and positioned it on an easel, the pristine white surface waiting to be transformed. Her fingers delicately ran over the brushes, choosing the perfect one for her first strokes. A relatively big brush, perfect for the bold background she was thinking of creating. The scent of fresh paint and the gentle hum of creativity in the air enveloped her. She began to work, her movements purposeful and confident. Mervinia had a natural talent for painting, and it was evident in every stroke she made. Her hand seemed to dance across the canvas, giving life to her vision.

As Mervinia continued to paint, she paused for a moment, looking at Darius with a thoughtful expression. “Mr. Cuthberg,” she began, her voice filled with a sense of artistic purpose, “I’ve been pondering our endeavor to be at the forefront of the Romantic movement in painting. I believe that this artistic movement is about capturing the raw and powerful emotions that are often overlooked in traditional art.”

She continued, “In this painting, I aim to portray a scene that goes beyond mere aesthetics. I want to evoke the profound emotions, the sense of mystery, and the wonder of the natural world. A landscape that embodies the essence of of this new movement.” She said, as she made yet another smooth stroke, before she continued, “A lush yet hidden garden. In this garden, I see an overgrown and enchanting wilderness where nature reclaims what was once ordered by man. The untamed foliage, hidden paths, and wildflowers symbolize the freedom of nature, unrestrained by human hands. The beauty of the garden lies in its wildness and unpredictability.”

Mervinia’s gaze was filled with conviction as she explained further, “In other forms of art, such as literature and poetry, we see Romanticism celebrating the sublime, the untamed, and the emotional. This painting captures this sentiment. I believe the garden to be a place where emotions can run wild, where nature and human passion intertwine. In the Romantic view, such a garden would be a sanctuary of authentic feelings, a place where one can escape from the constraints of society and embrace the untamed spirit within.”

She looked at Darius, her eyes shining with the passion of her explanation. “It’s a representation of the Romantic fascination with the extraordinary and the mysterious in nature, a place where we can explore the depths of our emotions and our connection to the natural world. What do you think of my choice?” she asked followed by a nervous giggle. She then looked at him over her easel, curious about what he was painting. “And may I inquire what you are painting?”

1 Like

{ 4th dance / November 1st / with Corin }

⎯⎯ ୨୧ ⎯⎯

This was harder than Margaret thought it would be - not just talking to a complete stranger, a rather attractive one, but pretending she didn’t hate being at this ball. However, pretending was a skill she had mastered over the years. She could gracefully move through the room, share a dance with a gentleman or two, engage in discussions on topics she had little interest in, all while maintaining an appearance of rapt attention just for the sake of being seen doing so. At moments paying attention to people around her just so she can have something to talk about tomorrow in case an interesting thing happens, trying not to get stuck in her own little world and completely ignore the magical evening.

What intrigued her was the ease with which she found herself focusing on the man before her, a surprising lack of effort required. It was a testament to his presence and perhaps his own charisma. She couldn’t help but appreciate his beauty, allowing her gaze to take it all in for a moment too long but she wasn’t here to find herself a husband nor was she here to waste someone’s time. Which she… Might’ve been doing now. But she didn’t care that much, a girl could enjoy a nice moment from time to time.

Margaret couldn’t help but sense, or just believe she did, a guarded aspect to his answer as if he hid a deeper layer beneath his facade. She chose not to probe further; it wasn’t her aim to intimidate or push him or make a fool out of herself thinking there was something more special he had to say. ”You’re a man of intrigue, Mr. Blackwood,“ Margaret remarked with a mischievous twinkle in her eyes, shifting the focus to him, to understand more about the enigmatic traveler rather than dwelling on his reasons for being here. And as much as he had a right to know more about her, she was surprised by his question. Surprised by his next move she kept quiet for a moment, thinking of how to answer him.

Margo stared at extended hand, confused about what she should do. She didn’t come here to dance, she doesn’t… do this. But she had to do this. She knew that refusing to dance would be seen as impolite, and she had no intention of appearing so. Dancing with him was the least she could do if she wasn’t planning to honestly answer his questions. And it’s not that she wanted to lie to him, her family was just… Not that important now. She didn’t want him to compare her to her family and create a false picture of her if he already knew them and it’s… Not that she cared if he did that or… Maybe she did a little. Maybe she wanted him to like her.

Looking back up at him with a soft smile this time, Margaret carefully took his hand, ”Of course.“ As they joined the dance floor, Margaret couldn’t help but feel a hint of excitement and curiosity. She doesn’t usually do this, she can’t remember the last time something like this happened. Usually she was the girl on the side, observing everyone else, but this felt nice too. Her hand in someone else’s was an unusual sensation, but it felt surprisingly pleasant. Margaret had embraced the unexpected nature of the evening and found herself drawn into the rhythm of the dance, swept up in the moment.

”I appreciate your curiosity. It’s only fair that you know more about the one making such inquiries… I just… I don’t think my family is all that interesting.“ She tried hard to avoid that question, or any questions about herself. Still she would rather try to understand the man hidden beneath his polished exterior. ”But I can’t help and wonder… How interesting would it be if no one knew you, if they knew just your name? You could be what you always desired to be and everyone would see only that, don’t you think so? Now would you tell me…“ She continued, that soft smile remaining on her lips. ”Would you rather people know you as the traveler who’s seen the most exotic places as I did or as someone, something else? Or wou- I apologize, I have been asking too many questions tonight, how silly of me. But of course I might have been wrong and we do not share the same opinion and I am afraid I’ve taken too much of your time tonight…“ She gently let go of his hand after their short dance, letting her gaze linger on it for a moment before looking up at him. Really looking at him.

”Thank you for the dance,“ she said sincerely, offering a respectful curtsey, a gesture of appreciation for the dance and the intriguing moments they had shared. ”I do hope you enjoy the rest of your evening. May our paths cross again soon, Mr. Blackwood.“ And with that, she gracefully retreated into the lively crowd, leaving behind an air of mystery.

⎯⎯ ୨୧ ⎯⎯

@DandelionKate

1 Like

{ young Archie and Margo fencing / 15 years ago }

⎯⎯ ୨୧ ⎯⎯

”Shhhh,“ Archie’s gentle voice was the only sound you could hear at the Hastingston estate at one in the morning. Now you might wonder why he was up that late and who he was trying to shush and the answer is quiet simple - his little sister Margaret had a bad dream and reading (because he couldn’t sleep) under his covers with a candle on which let me tell you is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS because he could’ve set everything on fire, he heard her soft cries from the room next to his and immediately got up to see what was happening. But no, he wasn’t shushing her because he was trying to stop her crying… he already did that, wrapping his little arms around her, you could hear him because he was running around the second floor with her hand in his and a little wooden sword in the other hand.

Bad dreams in Archie’s world meant playtime to get her mind off of them. Of course, smarter thing to do would be to grab one of her favorite books and read her back to sleep, which he has been doing more often recently just because he liked to read to his little siblings, but truth be told Archie was in a playtime mood - no, Archie was in a I want to do what our older brother does with our dad but we can’t do because we are still too young and this is the perfect opportunity since they are sleeping mood. Now that thing happened to be fencing. Yes, fencing.

You see… The reason Archie was running around with a little wooden sword in his hands is because that’s the type of thing he liked to play with. He liked to pretend he was fighting and when no one else wanted to play with him Margo would be his victim. And she didn’t mind it, as long as she was playing with her brother she didn’t care what they were doing. Now this was before that brilliant idea of going to the special room came to his mind, hence why they were running down the stairs now. ”Be quiet Margooo,“ he’d repeat hearing her not so quiet giggles. ”Where awe we goi-“ ”Shhhhhhh.“

What was that special room you’re wondering? Well, I’m sorry to tell you it’s not really that special, but to young Archie it was. It was a room where his dad would train, where his older brother would sometimes be, fencing with their dad. Now there were many things Archie was not jealous of, many things he will not be jealous of in the future when it comes to Benjamin but this… THIS. This hurt. He wanted to be the one fighting so guess what he’s going to do? He’s going to train with little Margo now and prove to his dad that he is old enough. It’s a very good idea, isn’t it?

”Woooah look,“ 4 year old Margaret was now standing in the middle of that very room, pointing at huge foils left against the wall before attempting to go and grab one but was stopped when a hand grabbed her elbow. ”Noo, don’t touch it, be careful.“ Concern washing over his face, Archie pulled Margo away from that wall telling her to sit down and wait for him to bring her a mask. Yes, he knew a thing or two from watching his brother do this… or he thought he knew. ”Take this, here,“ a giggle escaped his lips now as he handed his sister a mask that was obviously huge for her but that was the only thing they could work with now. ”You look so funny,“ both of their laughter filled the room now as he too put on a mask and helped Margaret get up.

”Here, stand here and take this BUT BE CAREFUL, now handing her one of the foils he showed her how to hold it, how he thought she should before taking a few steps back and hold up the other one. ”Alrigh NOW WE FIG- HEY no don’t take it off-“ ”I can’t breathe-“ ”NOOO, you can’t take it off, you
will get hurt and father is going to be mad-“
”BUT I CAN’T BREATHE.“ ”LEAVE IT ON.“ With a sigh Margo gave up, holding back up the foil and listening to what her brother was saying. If she knew how to think back then she’d probably think “I shouldn’t have cried because I had a bad dream because loooook where it got me.”

”You have to defend yourself okay? When I do this you do this. Okay? Okay?!“ ”Oka-“ ”Okay! Go!“ You shouldn’t let your little kids play with sharp things because of course little Margo didn’t know what to do… and of course Archie had no idea what he was doing because the next thing he knew Margo was crying more than she was crying just 15 minutes ago. And that finally woke someone up because their dad was now standing in the doorway confused with what was happening.

3 Likes

Darius’ cheeks were flushed with a new bright red color as Mervinia called his presence a delight. The color of his cheeks at this moment might find it’s way on his canvas later on as he tries to capture her fiery red hair with his inexperienced brush strokes.
As Mervinia mentioned he wouldn’t be meeting his father, Darius all but sighed a breath of relief. As much as it’s propper to meet a lady’s parents when visiting her, he feared her father wouldn’t like him, after all he is visiting his daughter and fathers can be most disaproving of potential suitors … However it’s harder to get on a father’s good side if you’re known to be a flirt … He feels lucky to have a shot to first make a better impression on her and her mother so he might not be turned out by her father straight away. He also promised himself he wouldn’t compliment her verbally again, but instead compliment her by doing his best in painting her beautifully. That way he would compliment her in a way she wouldn’t be able to object because he would literaly be portraying her as he sees her and if she finds herself beautiful on canvas then she would be accepting the compliment. Simmilarly her mother would notice the absolute lak of verbal compliments and report so to the father later on, which would lead him to believe that either Darius isn’t a flirt like everybody suggests, or that he is a flirt but in treating his daughter differently but showing her more interest than the others he does not think of Mervinia in the same way he thinks of other ladies he flirts with.

In the beautiful studio he finally set down his canvases and admired the room. “This room is quite charming. Painting in her will be a delight.” Althought that was a compliment, it was directed at the room and not at her. As he stood there with admiration for everything he sees in his eyes, she already selected a canvas and almost started painting. He looked at her as she selected a brush, and a moment later she called out his name. "Mr. Cuthberg, I’ve been pondering our endeavor to be at the forefront of the Romantic movement in painting. I believe that this artistic movement is about capturing the raw and powerful emotions that are often overlooked in traditional art.” Which made his jaw drop. “Lady Northwick, have you researched romanticism since we last spoke?” He asked with a mix of surprise, pride for her and happiness showing in his face. She continued speaking about the painting she already imagined in her head. He was proudly and dumbfoundedly looking at her as she was explaining how full and creative her painting will be and all this developed in her head in a matter of seconds. He kept silent, wanting to hear the description and imagining it in his head as she went on. Suddenly she posed a question. "And may I inquire what you are painting?” It was a question whose answer should’ve been as long as her vivid description, but sadly it was an extremely short one. "You! He answered. Thankfully he had enough brains to follow it up with an explanatory sentence. “For some reason my thoughst are plagues with your likeness portraying Thisbe and I must paint that for deep down I feel you are Thisbe. Don’t ask me why for I don’t understand why I believe you would suit so well in the role of Thisbe … I just do.” He said, and he didn’t lie, in this light, in this room, before a canvas he saw Thisbe, but he didn’t know way … At least he didn’t understand it yet. He sat down behind his canvas and they both started painting, their canvases next to each other. He wasn’t a great painter, but he tried his best to make this painting the best one he had ever made, it was her likeness after all so it had to be spectacular, especially if he wanted to make her realize how beautiful she is in his eyes, if she won’t believe him when he says it to her in the form of a compliment, no matter how truthful.

@Jass - Mervinia

{ picnic for Archie’s birthday / Adeline (15) Archie (18) }

The sun hung low in the sky, casting a warm golden hue across the rolling hills as Archie and Adeline prepared for the picnic. It was his birthday, and there was no one else he’d rather spend it with than one of his closest friends. This only shows how Adeline had always been a ray of sunshine in Archie’s life, a source of laughter and warmth that made even the dullest days brighter. A thing that might need to be mentioned is that oddly enough, Archie had never been particularly fond of celebrating his own birthday. The notion of being the center of attention or showered with gifts didn’t sit well with him. However, when it came to birthdays of family and friends, he embraced the celebrations with joy.

But today he wanted to do something different, well… No. This wasn’t completely his idea, it was hers but he did not mind a single thing about it. He didn’t mind taking time of his day to spend it with her, away from her brother who at times was a little… tricky. But that’s a story for another time. Now we are not celebrating Archie’s birthday, but their enduring friendship. As they gathered their picnic essentials, Archie couldn’t help but appreciate the simplicity of the gesture. A birthday spent with Adeline was a birthday well spent. He glanced at the basket filled with treats, the anticipation of the day’s adventure reflected in his eyes. Their friendship was a treasure, and this picnic was a testament to the bond they shared.

Despite Archie’s usual aversion to being in the spotlight on his birthday, he felt a sense of gratitude for this particular celebration. It wasn’t about grand gestures or extravagant gifts; it was about the shared laughter, the warmth of their friendship, and the simple joy of being in each other’s company.

As they strolled towards the chosen meadow the air was filled with the buzz of cicadas and the distant chirping of birds. The tall grass swayed in the gentle breeze, and Archie couldn’t help but steal glances at Adeline as they walked side by side. ”Thank you,“ he spoke softly, his voice carrying a genuine warmth as he nudged her playfully. A sweet smile graced his lips, reflecting the sincerity of his gratitude. ”I know you are not that fond of spending time with me and would much prefer being with my sisters so this means… A lot to me.“ There was a hint of sarcasm in Archie’s voice, a familiar facet of his personality that those around him had come to recognize. Yet, beneath the jest, there lingered some truth. Adeline’s companionship was cherished, and these moments held a special place in his heart. While he often found himself entangled in the affairs of his own family and the complexities of friendship with Atlas, he valued these stolen moments of simplicity and shared laughter.

”There is still time for you to change your mind an- WAIT,“ he suddenly exclaimed, gently grabbing her wrist to stop her from walking any further. ”Do you hear that?“ Lowering his voice to purposely add some tension to this situation, he looked over at the girl, a hint of fear written over his face. A smile he was trying so hard to hide underneath it. Holding onto her wrist he remained quiet, pretending he was listening to their surrounding. ”I think someone is following us.“

@sunflowerjm hihi

picnic for Archie’s birthday / Adeline (15) Archie (18)

Adeline had woken up bright and early, as today was a special day—it was her favorite person’s birthday, Archie. Archie was a dear friend who had always held a special place in her heart. She seamlessly prepared the picnic for him, ensuring that all the items were neatly and securely packed. Adeline was determined to ensure that everything was perfect; he deserved the very best. “Lady Adeline! You must hurry; it’s getting late, and your friend is already waiting for you outside.” Thea hurriedly entered, making an effort to be quiet so as not to wake anyone. Adeline looked at her nightgown, filled with every ingredient she had used, and gasped. “Oh dear, Thea, help me!” Thea laughed and signaled Adeline to follow her. Before she followed Thea, Adeline glanced out the window, stealing a peek at Archie, and couldn’t help but smile. With each passing year, he seemed to grow more handsome.

As they traveled towards their chosen spot near the meadow, Adeline couldn’t help but notice Archie stealing glances in her direction. A faint blush crept onto her cheeks as she wondered if she was overthinking the situation or perhaps she had something on her face! Adeline swiftly brushed her hand against her face, only to realize the foolishness of her actions, prompting a sigh to escape her lips. ‘Please stop behaving in such a silly manner, Adeline!’ She thought silently, ‘This is Archie; he is just a friend.’ Soon her thoughts were interrupted by Archie’s voice, “Thank you.” “Huh? Oh! Please, you deserve to be celebrated today, Arch.” She said with a gentle smile, briefly holding his hand as they walked together before letting go, realizing she may be overstepping his bounds.

”I know you are not that fond of spending time with me and would much prefer being with my sisters so this means… A lot to me." Upon sensing his playful tone, Adeline playfully rolled her eyes and nudged him. “I am confident that your sister would prefer to spend her time in quiet company with my brother Atlas. They appear to be enjoying each other’s company more frequently.” She said, casting a skeptical glance at Archie. It had been two years already since Atlas stopped talking to Adeline, so when he began to sneak out, she decided to follow him one day and discovered him with Margo. It was strange, she predicted a more affectionate display between the two, but instead they simply sat together, enjoying each other’s presence?

”Do you hear that?“ “I think someone is following us.” As Archie held her wrist, Adeline’s heart started to race all she could wonder was if her parents had followed them. In a state of panic, Adeline sought refuge in Archie’s embrace, and buried her face against his chest. After a few moments of silence, broken only by her own rapid breaths, she lifted her gaze to meet Archie’s, he was warm, if she could she would stay like this forever. Yet once realizing he must have been playing with her, she moved away as she playfully tapped his chest, careful not to hurt him. “Arch! That is not funny, I thought it was my parents and if they found out where I was, I would be in so much trouble.” She said pouting, although her true emotions did not match her expression.

@astxrism 🫶🏼

1 Like

{ picnic for Archie’s birthday / Adeline (15) Archie (18) }

His sister spending so much time with Atlas recently has been something Archie was not that fond of. He wasn’t yet completely suspicious of that strange friendship, but just like Adeline said, they had been enjoying each other’s company more frequently and it wasn’t something he could ever imagine happening. The two of them, just in Archie’s opinion, were in a sense similar but far for two souls you’d ever catch together alone. And as much as he wanted to discuss that more and figure out what was happening, Archie had other, more… Fun plans at the moment.

He could feel her heartbeat quickening beneath his touch, the subtle vulnerability that surfaced in the face of imagined peril. In that instant, Archie’s protective instincts kicked in, his concern genuine even when he knew there was nothing to be afraid of, no danger coming after them. He allowed her to seek refuge in his embrace, but the warmth of her against his chest made him flinch for a second - partly because he wasn’t expecting it to happen and partly because he did not know he needed it. Because the feeling only proved what he was trying to suppress was real.

And then, when she looked up at him and their eyes met, he got lost in the moment. But her eyes, those windows to a realm of unspoken emotions, proved to be a formidable adversary to his attempts at emotional restraint. As Adeline playfully tapped his chest and broke the spell, Archie took a subtle step back, a physical manifestation of the internal struggle to regain composure.

”My sincere apologies Adie,“ he responded with a mock bow, a twinkle of mischief in his eyes. ”I promise, no more startling surprises. Shall we continue, free from imaginary monsters?“ He offered her his hand, this time with a genuine smile on his lips.

”I do not like walking, I’m tired,“ Archie declared with a light laugh as they reached a spot that seemed suitable for their picnic. But if you asked him he didn’t care; for all he knew they could’ve just sat in the middle of the street as long as he was there with her.
As they settled into the chosen spot, Archie’s mind began to weave a tapestry of plans for the impromptu picnic. He had envisioned this as a celebration, a shared moment of joy, and he was determined to make it memorable. While Adeline might have been willing to lend a hand in setting up, Archie, driven by a sense of chivalry and a desire to be the consummate gentleman, insisted on taking charge.

Please, Lady Adeline, allow me the pleasure of preparing our little feast,“ he insisted with a gallant bow, his tone carrying a playful sincerity. See, back in the days when life didn’t get that complicated, Archie was the boy who couldn’t pass an opportunity to joke and just make the situation lighter. He spread out a blanket with deliberate care, ensuring a comfortable seating arrangement for both of them. A basket, filled with an assortment of delectable treats, was unveiled like a treasure trove waiting to be discovered. There were sandwiches, neatly prepared and wrapped and a selection of fruits that glistened in the sunlight. And once again, while doing all of this, he couldn’t help but steal glances at Adeline.

”I hope it’s to your liking,“ as he approached her, the warmth of his gesture and the soft reassurance in his touch conveyed a silent invitation. His hand rested gently on the small of her back, guiding her to a comfortable sitting position on the blanket. His hand stayed there for a moment too long. ”I have to admit, this was a very nice idea of yours,“ he started as he settled beside her, waving his arms around to gesture at her idea of having a picnic. A gentle breeze played with Adeline’s hair, and Archie, caught in the fleeting beauty of the scene, found himself momentarily lost in the interplay of sunlight and shadows. Without giving much thought to it, he lifted his hand to reach for a strand of her hair, gently pushing it behind her ear.

”Wind,“ he quickly murmured, retrieving. With a huge grin trying to cover up what he had just done. ”Do you wonder… How we mentioned our siblings earlier, do you wonder if they think the same? About us? How it’s unusual that we ar- not that it’s unusual, I’m always with you and your brother but… Do you know what I mean?“

@sunflowerjm :sob:

1 Like

picnic for Archie’s birthday / Adeline (15) Archie (18)

After a brief period of hesitation, Adeline accepted Archi’s hand. As they walked, she tried her best not to show that she was nervous, only smiling at him.

There was silence; the sound of the lake’s stream and the bird melodies were the only sounds audible in the quiet. It was not awkward, though, at least not to her. She felt safe with Archi, and there was nowhere else she would rather be at this moment.

Arriving at their destination, Archi mentioned feeling tired from the walk, prompting a lighthearted chuckle from Adeline. She knew his dislike for walks so she was surprised when he agreed to her suggestion of a birthday picnic. “Oh, come on, you’re fine; after all, we’ve arrived!” Adeline carefully selected an ideal location and warmly beckoned the young man to join her, a beaming smile on her face as she gently placed the picnic basket on the ground.

Archi stopped her before she could begin laying the blanket on the grass, offering for him to do it in a lighthearted manner as he gallantly bowed. Adeline shook her head and giggled. There was never a single day when she wasn’t smiling while she was with him. He has always made her laugh since the first time they met, and it is something she will never forget. She was aware that her aura changed every time she was with him. “No, please, I insist. This is intended for–” Adeline paused speaking when she noticed the little glare on his face, and she eventually took a step back while he arranged everything for them.

”I hope it’s to your liking.“

Adeline was so caught up in admiring the scenery that she didn’t see when Archi approached her. She jumped a little when she felt his hand on her back, but she followed him without hesitation. Adeline was in awe of the view in front of her. “You did amazing, Archie!” She said as she excitedly settled down to take her seat and tapped the spot next to her. The wind was strong, and her hair was blowing all over her face. She felt a hand touch her hair to move it out of the way before she could move it. “Thank you.” She whispered quietly, and there was another pause between the two of them. Adeline stared into Archi’s eyes and noticed how they shone in the sunlight. For a brief while, she was caught in those eyes.

"Do you wonder… How we mentioned our siblings earlier, do you wonder if they think the same? About us? How it’s unusual that we ar- not that it’s unusual, I’m always with you and your brother but… Do you know what I mean?”

Adeline cleared her throat, snapping out of her daze. “Why would they? Everyone knows we are just friends, Archie,” she remarked with a tiny laugh. Adeline looked down, trying not to look at him since she knew what she said was far from the truth from her point of view. She looked at the chocolate strawberries and quickly picked one up to divert the subject. “Here, taste this.” She said as she gently fed him one, and once he had taken a small bite, Adeline, with an air of nonchalance, consumed the remaining portion of the delicious strawberry. She realized that she had unintentionally gotten some chocolate on Archi’s cheek when she looked at him again. “Oh, you have—here, let me get that for you.” Adeline reached out and gently wiped the chocolate off Archi’s cheek with her thumb, her touch lingering for a moment longer than necessary. As she pulled her hand away, a faint blush colored her cheeks, betraying a hint of something more than just friendly concern.

Adeline knew very well that there could never be more than friendship between her and Archi. Especially with how close Atlas and Archi were, they had this foolish rule of not dating each other’s sister. Also there was the fact that she had just turned 15 in December, and Archie was now 18. He would soon start to join the season to court a lady and possibly be married next year. “Arch… may I ask since you are now 18, will you be joining the new season to find yourself a wife?”

@astxrism :face_holding_back_tears:

2 Likes

CONTINUE FROM MAIN (visiting day)
previously on this episode

newARCHIE

{ Visitin Azucena }

Archibald took a moment to gather himself as he heard Azucena’s response. In all honesty, he wasn’t expecting anything more but yet here he was, taking a chance. It was difficult to say what Archie wanted to get out of this visit, he simply knew that it had to be done. He could keep avoiding her for as long as she would wish for but he still, in a way, cared for the girl. Like it or not she did at one point play a huge part in his life. He was supposed to marry the girl, wasn’t he? But things have changed and to him it seemed like overnight she started resenting him, for reasons unknown.

What he couldn’t stand doing was watching her waste yet another opportunity, not with him this time. He could speak of Azucena with nothing but kind words, no matter how much she had hurt him and how much maybe he resents her, but she deserved better than whatever she was getting now. ”We always have a choice, don’t we? I am just not quite sure what it would look like if you kicked me out? It seems like you are not having any luck this season and it might make it worse, am I wrong? So if you did not want me to say that, maybe you should’ve kept that comment to yourself?“ Archie calmly added, noticing the way she was behaving in front of him. The way she wished it was anyone else but him standing right there.

To his luck she allowed him to stay and soon he began following her down the hallway to another room. It’s been long since he walked around this house and as much as things have changed, they have not. There was still the painting he was hoping they would get rid of, a decoration here and there that he did not recognize and mostly he did not recognize Azucena. Following her lead, Archie stepped into the lounge, the air heavy with unresolved emotions. He couldn’t deny the pang of guilt and regret that surfaced within him.

”Can a friend not visit from time to time?“ He replied to her question, curious of things that might come out of her mouth next. Taking a seat opposite of her, he laid his eyes on her and kept his gaze there the whole time he spoke. Not a single emotion or a hint of what he was truly feeling could be seen on his features. ”Tell me, my lady, was that lord Davis I’ve seen following you around? Would you mind telling me how that is going? I do not like to say this but I’ve heard stories about him and other ladies. Not a good look for you, it seems?“ From the outside his words might seem malicious but that was not his intention and he doubted Azucena would see that. He could only guess he would be attacked by something she would assume he meant. There was a shy smile that crept onto his lips, more of a way for him to show her he sympathized and did not want to see her get caught in some lies and deceptions but would she take it that way?

It seemed like, on this day, Archie had done nothing but gone around warning certain ladies about Harrison. One might assume he had something against the guy but Archie did not. A long time ago they were very good friends, Harrison was someone Archie always cherished and even looked up to at times but he knew how men could become. And he did not want anyone to get hurt.

@raviola aaaaa finally so sososo sorry

1 Like

newARCHIE

{ high-steaks casino night and second letter }

”Archibald, my friend, your luck can’t last forever,“ remarked one of the players, a seasoned gambler with a grizzled beard. ”Luck has nothing to do with it, my good sir.” The night was thick with anticipation, the kind that lingers in the air when the stakes are high. Archie, with his signature charm, sat at the poker table, accompanied by his two brothers, each exuding an air of casual confidence. The room was bathed in the warm glow of dimmed lights. Seated around the table were a mix of players, cigarette smoke curled lazily in the air, nothing but the sound of cards shuffling.

This was where one could easily find Archie. In this room, for which his family was known for, a part of the gentlemen club is where Archie would spend most of his days and time at. Ever since he was a child, he has showed incredible skills when it came to cards. No matter what the risks were he would win whenever he wished to win. Archie’s fingers gracefully caressed the cards, his eyes showing little to no emotion as he surveyed his hand. Beside him, his brothers exchanged knowing glances, a silent language only they understood. You see, tonight was a special night - every once in a while his family would make sure at least one game takes place in this room where the stakes are higher than usual. And tonight nothing would stop Archie from collecting all the money since his younger brother found himself in a not so great place. This… This was Archie’s part in the family - fix the mistakes of others.

As the game unfolded, the tension in the room intensified. Archie, always the master of subtlety, skillfully navigated it all. His occasional smirk only showing his inner confidence. Outside of this room, in a different setting one might not be able to guess how confident the man actually was. He would always be just the quiet, respectful guy but this was his territory. This was what made Archie Archie. Each card seemed to dance between his fingers, obeying his every wish. His mastery of sleight of hand was legendary, a skill he mastered through countless hours of practice and countless games. His childhood playing a huge role in it too. But beneath what seemed just like an innocent game was hiding a subtle hint of mischief. Archie was not just skilled but he also knew a thing or two about deception. It was a dangerous game he played but he loved it.

”Let’s raise the stakes, gentlemen,“ Archie declared, a devilish glint in his eyes. ”Hastingston, are you certain there is no magic up your sleeves?“ ”Magic? I simply play the cards I am dealt.“ Archie chuckled, his shoulders rising in a simple shrug.

After the exhilarating night Archie found himself navigating the streets of the city on his way back home. Shuffling of cards and hushed conversations still rang in his mind, a contrast to the quiet of the night, quiet of the streets. In need of solace, Archie decided to seek refuge in his writing. Not just any writing but writing to a person who always knew how to calm his mind. Writing letters he knew he could never send.

Pouring himself a glass of rum as soon as he reached the quiet of his study, Archie sat at the polished mahogany desk. While the flickering candlelight cast shadows on the parchment his gaze was unfocused, twirling that glass in his hand. He always knew he wanted to write something but writing it and putting his thoughts and feelings on a parchment was more difficult than it seemed. Especially when forbidden feelings were what he had to deal with and there was no one he could talk about it with.

Letter 2

𝐌𝐲 𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐀𝐝𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞,

𝐌𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐰𝐢𝐬𝐡 𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐢𝐭 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐩𝐞𝐧 𝐢𝐧 𝐦𝐲 𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐡𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐛𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐞. 𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐈 𝐚𝐦 𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐬𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐛𝐚𝐜𝐤 𝐭𝐨 𝐚 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐰𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐟𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐧, 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐢𝐧 𝐚𝐝𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐞𝐬. 𝐈𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐰𝐞 𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐚𝐫𝐤𝐞𝐝 𝐨𝐧 𝐬𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐚𝐝𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐞𝐬, 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐢𝐝𝐝𝐞𝐧, 𝐦𝐲𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐬 𝐜𝐨𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨𝐰𝐧. 𝐘𝐞𝐭, 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐢𝐧 𝐦𝐲 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐞𝐬 𝐈 𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐫.

𝐃𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐨𝐟 𝐢𝐭, 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐛𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐛𝐮𝐢𝐥𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬? 𝐇𝐨𝐰 𝐰𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐞𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐥𝐲 𝐞𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞𝐬, 𝐚𝐫𝐦𝐞𝐝 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐨𝐬𝐢𝐭𝐲? 𝐈 𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐥𝐲, 𝐀𝐝𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞, 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐥𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐭. 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐟𝐚𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐨𝐧, 𝐝𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐬𝐚𝐟𝐞𝐭𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐚𝐜𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐚𝐧𝐲 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐨𝐧 𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐡 𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐝𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐞. 𝐎𝐮𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐳𝐯𝐨𝐮𝐬, 𝐮𝐧𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐧 𝐭𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫, 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐦𝐲 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐭𝐡. 𝐓𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐥𝐞𝐧 𝐦𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐰𝐞 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐝, 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐜𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐡𝐢𝐝𝐝𝐞𝐧 𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐦𝐬, 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐨𝐟 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐩, 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐛𝐨𝐧𝐝.

𝐀𝐬 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐦𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐝 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐝, 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐛𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐩𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐬. 𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐀𝐝𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞, 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐨 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐢𝐧 𝐦𝐲 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭. 𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬 𝐈 𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐡, 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐛𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚 𝐬𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐦𝐲 𝐟𝐚𝐜𝐞. 𝐈 𝐡𝐨𝐩𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐥, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐬, 𝐢𝐭 𝐦𝐚𝐲 𝐞𝐯𝐨𝐤𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬. 𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐬, 𝐦𝐲 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝, 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐲 𝐛𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐝𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐮𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐲𝐞𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐞 𝐰𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐧.

𝐘𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐥𝐲,
𝐀𝐫𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐞

Once the final words had been inked, Archie carefully placed that letter on top of the first one he wrote the other night. With a sigh Archie rose from the writing desk, ending the night with yet another glass of his rum.

@sunflowerjm second letter so hiiii

2 Likes

Calling Day: Stop #2: Lydia Ellis ~finishing from main interaction~

A mini recap for my own sake:

Corin found himself unable to divert his gaze from the lady across from him. Her lips seemed fuller than he recalled, her hair darker and richer in hue, and the childish pink of her cheeks now adorned with the softer blush of maturity. He savored every aspect of her form, desperately recommitting it to memory. The echo of the girl she once was, uncertain, overshadowed, yet fiery at heart, slowly faded into the woman before him. It struck him how time had transformed them both, yet she retained the same wit and intellect. Her beauty mirrored the purity of her heart, inside matching outside. She remained true to herself, unlike him.

Despite the yearning for recognition that Corin could not shake, he understood her ignorance. He was hardly the boy she knew. Time and pain had morphed him into someone nearly unrecognizable even as he stared at his own reflection, occasionally unsure of who glanced back at him.

However, it was rare he met a woman among the ton who would not recognize his accomplishments and dark silhouette. Often ladies approached him knowing more of his life and travels than he, himself, could recall.

Yet, here sat a girl, one who had known him so deeply, who could not recognize the boy nor the man.

It made her all the more intriguing.

There was a lack of expectation. An absence of weight that he so often held on his shoulders during formal interactions. Sitting across from her now, unknown, unseen, was as freeing as breathing in the fresh sea air Corin so missed.

Suddenly, her voice broke his wandering gaze and reminiscent thought.

“I’m sure you could make this mystery woman very happy.” She spoke gently, a slight hesitation and caution in her voice. Corin smirked at her reservations, clearly more amused by her lack of understanding than offended.

“At the very least, I hope the lady will permit me to try,” he replied, suppressing a giddy warmth within his chest.

He hadn’t engaged with a lady in such a manner since Arista’s passing. Yet, there was a comfort to Lydia that he had not felt in years, a security, a familiarity. A feeling he had nearly forgotten. A feeling he had hoped to forget, one he did not deserve to feel ever again.

“Perhaps… reminding her of the time you were not strangers.” Lydia continued as the carriage pulled to a stop.

As the carriage doors swung open, Corin caught sight of their destination and bit his tongue to prevent the eruption of laughter that threatened to escape him. His eyes nearly welled with tears, his hand swinging up to cover his mouth to hold the laughter back. How beautifully ironic…

The Thames.

Not just anywhere along the Thames, but a very particular beachside from many years ago.

Corin stepped out first, composing himself as he extended his hand to Lydia to assist her out of the carriage.

“A beach?” Corin asked, glancing around, taking in the familiar smell of the cool riverside air. “Why a beach?” He inquired, glancing back at Lydia. “This one seems particularly…plain.” Corin attempted to hide the nostalgic tug in his chest.

The beach of the Thames had been the singular place in all of England he had fond memories of. It had been the sole location that drove his extended stay in London.

And Lydia Ellis had been the one person he had ever taken here. The only person who had ever been invited into his world, not as it was, but as he made it…for her.

@novella - Lyd