Bridgerton | Official RP Thread

╰┈➤ ◈━◈━◈━◈━◈𓆩♡𓆪◈━◈━◈━◈━◈𓆩♡𓆪◈━◈━◈━◈━◈◈━◈━◈━◈━◈𓆩♡𓆪

Harrison’s eyes twinkled as she blushed, “Do not worry of such formalarities Lady Beckett. Lord, Earl or even just Harrison Harrison said his name in a low, deep, and husky tone. It was a whisper because after all with the way he loved to break rules, he knew a lot about them. He knew that her calling him by his first name would be improper. It was made as a suggestive comment, one that was sure to make her blush at the implications of it all, after all it was him saying that he wished to get close to her, so formalarities will be dropped. As he ‘teased’, his eyes made their way to his sister who looked to be enjoying herself with that wretched man. He had heard some of their words- You shall make a great wife someday," and she would but not to that man that was for sure. Harrison would make sure of it ‘you shall make a great husband’ his sister told the man and Harrison chuckled to himself- no he would not. As they danced, Harrison pulled Bridget softly to get closer to the man and his sister and he had ‘accidentally’ bumped into the man. Harrison had brushed it off, pretending nothing happened as the man and his sister gave him a strange look, shifting a bit.

“I am both a sculpter and a painter my lady. I wish to say I was a poet, but saying that would be a lie as yes I am a true lover of poetry, but I am not one. What about you, my lady? What type of art do you prefer and can you do any?” He asked the blind lady, “Or are you perhaps a singer? Your voice while speaking is quite lovely, so I do wonder if your voice when put to singing would be even lovelier,” He complimented, as they turned around as part of the dance. He pulled her close to him and then away from him as the dance went, he was smiling- and though she could not see that he was. After all, Harrison rarely did not smile. His face was too handsome to be boning constantly, he jokingly thought to himself. “I quite enjoy fresco painting and tempera, they involve a lot of elegant techniques that makes me enjoy painting. I mostly paint when I’m done with all my work-the job of an Earl and a business man is quite the hassle,” Harrison commented.

@Bluecookies

2 Likes

Beige Vintage Traveler Twitter Header

“You do not wish to judge and yet you are judging,” Belle said stepping a foot closer to Earl Baylor, there was already a nice distance between them which made Belle not feel unnerved to close it a little. She crossed her arms, staring at him, her eyes raking his features- letting it be known that she was analyzing him, watching his every move closely. “I am glad that you think of me as quite persuasive, but your sister is already in love with the idea of love. It is already written for her in her palm lines that one day she shall marry,” Though Belle personally viewed marriage as a punishment, she was not here to be anyone’s else savior or to persuade anyone to be ‘saved’ if they wanted to be saved or not- that was their decision not Belle’s, she already had too much on her plate to be worrying about how to save thousands of women with the same mentality. Especially when Lady Maisie is already fond of the idea of falling in love, ever since Belle met her- Belle knew that Lady Maisie shall get married and it won’t be a punishment for her the same way it would be for Belle, so why waste her time saving someone who does not want to be saved? She did not have a hero complex because after all Belle was too cruel of a person to be a hero, she was too cunning and will always do anything to succeed and to gain knowledge.

She was no martyr, that was for sure- well, that was a little bit untrue considering something… But yes, Belle shall always advocate and open doors for ladies to be more expressive with themselves but she will not save people who do not wish to be saved. Time was expensive, “Yes, she shall very delighted. My family had imported a tea from China that is quite lovely, I am sure she shall enjoy it much. I shall also send her with packets of tea bag to share with you and your people.” by ‘your people’ Belle meant everyone in the Rutherfoord house- the maids, the servants, family members who are alive, the workers- their ‘people’.

“Form connections that will benefit you and connections that goes mediumly or strongly with your values. Alliances that will benefit you but make you question your honorable values should be neutral ‘connections’. Keep them close-your neutral alliances, but at a closeness that will mutually benefit both of you without influencing you negatively.” Belle advised. She knew a lot about politics from the educational books her parents will give her to read when she was 6, A Fleur child has to be wise after all. She was brought up with fairytales yes, as most child were, but unlike Kat and Josephine, Thomas, Belle was also brought up with research books and analytical literature as soon as her parents had figured out that Belle’s mind was quite advanced for her age. Louis was also brought up in a similar way but that was because he was to be heir of the Fleur household, meaning he had certain expectations and obligations. Belle also knew of politics as sometimes when her father was discussing with his allies, she would be in his lap during her younger days, drawing as she would sometimes interrupt her father’s meeting through opening the door though the maids would try to stop her. Her father had allowed her in, due to the fact that she was quiet and he knew she shall not disturbed and her father rarely said no to her.

As Lord Baylor began to talk about his thoughts on marrying for love, Belle got the sense that he wishes for tha but he was at a disadvantage where he could not. Belle had smiled warmly at the last part of his sentence, of supporting his sister wholeheartedly. He seemed like a good brother that deeply cared for Lady Maisie, but she wondered will the support truly always be unconditional? “You do have your responsibilities as an Earl yes, your wife needs to have a certain reputation to keep yours high, as after all marriage is also a political tool,” Throughout this conversation, Belle thought about how much they spoke of politics together, it’s been a while since she had a talk of politics with someone from a world which seemed similar but yet at the same time so different from her’s. She mostly talked politics with her brothers or with Kat as Belle had taken the role of her tutor for some time being or with Louisa.

As he continued to dive into the world of ‘love’ Belle could sense he had a longing for someone with his words. But with who? That was a question for the ages. She blinked, furrowing her brows when he asked about what she thought of love. It was quite an easy answer but she was figuring ways to say it in English that was understandable to the English dialect, as some phrases and words worked better in French than in English. “If I said that I do not believe in love, that would be a lie. Love yes exists and takes various forms- platonic and familial love are the love I am most accustomed too, and I am in love with all my friends and family members as I hold them dear to my heart. When people talk of love they mostly just mean romantic but love- whether platonic or romantic is love and love can hurt. Now, romantic. I suppose that love is a concept that exists in such manner, but love does not conquer everything as most people like to think, those who think love is a powerful conqueror are fools,” Belle said with a cool tone. “And romantic love has a form of vulnerability that I do not enjoy, every lover is a waiter and every lover is in sorrow and feels lost. Thus, it never made sense to me why people would like the idea of being lost, do you perhaps know why?”

@Jass

1 Like

Pre-dance four Belle Fleur

Baylor considered Belle’s words with a hint of concern in his eyes. “You’re quite perceptive, Mademoiselle Fleur. I do worry about my sister’s well-being, but it’s not out of judgment. It’s more of a protective instinct, I suppose, like a guardian over a cherished treasure.” He managed a small smile. “Your perspective, though, is a reminder that I should trust her judgment more. She’s not a child anymore.” he now spoke those words he had thought about before out loud.

A tender smile graced his lips as he reminisced about their shared history. “As children, I was often her guardian in our adventures, ensuring she remained safe and untroubled. It’s a role I’ve embraced willingly throughout our lives, as my father was never able to.” this was the first time in this interaction he truly showed some emotion. Thinking about his father always had the tenancy to make Baylor feel sad and in his emotions. He took a deep breath and recollected himself again.

Baylor responded with a thoughtful nod as Belle was discussing how Maisie was in love with the idea of love, indicating his agreement. “You are quite right. My sister’s heart has always been captivated by the allure of love. She’s a romantic at heart, and I don’t wish to stifle her dreams or hopes. It’s just that, as her older brother, I can’t help but worry about her falling into any hardships or disappointments.” He sighed softly, a touch of vulnerability in his expression. “I hope she finds the love she envisions, and if it’s meant to be, I’ll support her journey towards it.”

“I must express my gratitude for your generous offer. It’s truly kind of you to think of not only my sister but also our household. I’m sure Maisie, Lord and Lady Mehta, and our staff will appreciate the gift. Your gesture is most thoughtful, and we are grateful for your generosity.” He meant that. The Rutherfords still weren’t the most financially stable, this while they and the Mehta siblings were used to certain luxuries. So any taste of luxury they got offered, Baylor would accept without a second thought.

“Your counsel makes logical sense, Mademoiselle Fleur.” Baylor nodded with a thoughtful expression. His genuine interest in the conversation was conveyed through his focused gaze. “The notion of maintaining neutral alliances, those that neither significantly bolster nor undermine one’s values,” he gently tapped his fingertips together, underscoring the concept of this equilibrium, “is a prudent strategy.” His measured tone and composed posture further emphasized the importance of balance. “It allows for mutual benefit without compromising one’s principles. Striking that balance between advantageous connections and unwavering values is a vital aspect of navigating the complex realm of politics. I’ll keep your advice in mind as I continue to build and manage my alliances.” The confident and decisive tone of his voice conveyed his readiness to apply this newfound wisdom to his political endeavors.

Baylor inclined his head in acknowledgment, his expression carrying a mixture of seriousness and agreement. “Indeed, Mademoiselle Fleur, being an Earl carries a unique set of responsibilities, and one’s choice of a spouse can greatly influence not only one’s personal reputation but also the standing of the family,” he stated, his voice tinged with a hint of gravity. “Marriage is undoubtedly a political tool, used to strengthen connections and secure alliances, even when one’s heart may yearn for something else.” His gaze briefly flickered with a touch of melancholy, hinting at the complexities of his own circumstances.

He continued with a thoughtful expression, “It’s a delicate balance, preserving tradition and duty while also seeking one’s own desires and happiness. The expectations of society can weigh heavily on such decisions.” Baylor’s reply carried an undertone of vulnerability as let out a small sigh, revealing the inner conflict he experienced. He lowered his gaze for a moment before meeting Belle’s eyes again.

Baylor’s brows furrowed slightly as he considered Belle’s perspective on love. He then replied with a reflective tone, “Your thoughts on love are undeniably intriguing, Mademoiselle Fleur. Love does indeed take on various forms, and it’s not limited to romantic love. I’ve seen firsthand the strength of familial and platonic love, and they can bring immense joy and support.” His gaze lingered on her briefly, a spark of genuine curiosity in his eyes.

“As for romantic love, I believe it is a complex and multifaceted emotion. It’s true that it can bring joy, but it can also expose one’s vulnerabilities and insecurities, making it a path fraught with both pleasure and pain,” Baylor continued. “Perhaps people are drawn to the idea of romantic love because it offers a profound connection, a sense of belonging, and an emotional intensity that few other experiences can match.”

He paused for a moment, his expression pensive. “While I may not fully understand why some find appeal in the idea of being ‘lost’ in love, I do believe that the pursuit of romantic love is often driven by a desire for a deep and passionate connection with another person, and the hope that such a connection can be transformative.” His response indicated both his appreciation for Belle’s perspective and his own complex relationship with the concept of love.

@Kristi - Belle

2 Likes

A few nights before the ball, Nikhil primped his hair for the fourth time in the mirror. It could always look better, he thought. The truth was that he could always look obsessed with his hair because he kept touching it, but he never thought of it that way. He had just arrived to England as of a few months ago, and it was finally his time to find a mistress.

Previously, the man had little luck with finding a truly fit partner. Of course, he had loved before, everyone had, But currently his golden path led to a foreign woman. One he did not know yet. He was content with that thrill, for the porcelain women of Britain were more beautiful than he had imagined, and he was ready to give just one of them his all.

Unfortunately, his younger sister Priti felt similarly about Englishmen. She walked in the room with Nik, barefoot in a summery night gown. She sat on the made bed gracefully and breathed. “Are you prepared for the ball, brother? I am thrilled!” She beamed.

Nikhil made a soft smile, looking back at her through the reflection. Yes, he was fixing his hair before bed. It was custom in order to have sweet dreams! Still, he was endeared by his sister’s excitement.

“I am well aware of your excitement, Priti.” He said calmly. “And I hope you are mindful that suitors you take interest in must go through me first.”

“But Nik,” She looked down, feigning extra sadness. “Be nice to them.”

He chuckled. “Of course, Priti.”

Now, it was the night of the ball and Nikhil found himself conversing with a lord in the back of the room. He did not know many people, so he had been unable to sign many dance cards. Instead, he discussed politics and weather with likely the father of the girls he desired to speak with.

The night was not going as he had planned. Just meters away, his sister seemed to have no trouble attracting mates, dancing with various men he knew nothing of. His fingers were clasped into a small fist, knowing he did not yet trust the men of this court. They dressed in British attire, and were of diverse bloodlines. He spectated as each man went and left. A lean, tall man with light brown skin, a traditional looking lord, and a familiar face.

Nikhil knew he was protective of his sister, but this man had no chance with her as long as he could help it.

Images spattered in his mind of India, and meeting a traveler on his trip. He remembered staying in his estate the day he left, disinterested in saying goodbye to the traitor, nor alerting his sister of his departure. There was so much she did not know. He wished he could tell her.

He politely bid adieu to the lord, letting his wandering gaze become conquering steps that needed to keep his little sister safe.

Music stopped, though, and in that moment he lost sight of her. Somewhere in that haze, he found himself struggling to keep up with their choreography. Every man pulled a lady to his chest, except him. That was until he saw someone looking for a partner.

Truthfully, Nikhil had been tempted to leave the scene. However, he could not just leave the woman standing alone.

He stepped toward her, looking down at her. She was stunning. With silky brown hair and hypnotic black eyes. He liked her small features, a pleasant suprise about this new land. Her makeup was done perfectly as well, and her style had a rare charm to it. He had only been attempting at decency, but her first impression captivated him. “I do not believe we have met before.” He spoke cordially, then leaned down to kiss her hands, taking in her flowery scent. “Nikhil.” He paused, allowing her time to comprehend his rather fast approach. “It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.”

@CerealKiller

1 Like

She was not a child anymore- Belle agreed with that sentiment and that he should trust her judgment more, but she thought, ‘not too much’ after all, Lady Maisie had a certain naive nature to her that will get her easily taken advantage of. But, she was sure or at least she hoped he knew that already so she did not say anything- there was not much to say after all. She listened as he reminisced his childhood with Lady Maisie, how he had taken care of her as their father was never able to, “You have done so much for her. If it will be favorable upon you, can you tell me more about your father, he seems like a good man.” Now that was obviously not the reason why Belle wanted to know more about his father, she didn’t honestly care whether he was a good man or not, but she knew that Lord Baylor’s father meant something to him. It was a subject that made him show more emotion, “The eldest in my family- Louis, is quite like you in a way. When my parents were away he was my guardian, he was all of my sibling’s guarding. And my father was like a shelter to me, I have always held him in a golden light,” Belle began sharing a little of her family dynamic to get him to share his. After all was it not a fair bargain? “You do not have to talk of your father if you do not wish to, I have just drank much and I am curious,” You do not have to but you should
she thought, or at least for her own purpose. “I’ve heard that every man wishes to be like their fathers, where you perhaps like that? You longed to be the man your father was? He was quite the business man.” Now Belle knew that obviously not every man wished to be like their fathers and not every man will turn out to be like their fathers as human nature was complex like that- most are worst, few are better than their fathers. Yet, it was an expression she remembered a late cousin of her’s telling her-boys held their breath, waiting for the day that they will become like their fathers or better than them- that was every man’s dream she was told. To most women becoming like their mothers was a tragedy, to most men not becoming like their fathers was a tragedy. She remembered the time he had told her- the cousin. She was 11 and already had her mind set on her dreams, her cousin laid on his bed, bed ridden and sick. He was coughing and every kin had come to send him farewells, bringing different gifts for him to ‘take to heaven with him,’ Belle did not know the cousin quite well, but the cousin had called her to him when she brought a book as a present, talking to her like he was a philosopher- most men believed they were that, philosophers and wisemd even though they were not. Her cousin had also believed that- some of his words made sense to her, others she had to keep herself from laughing at such a young age.

Moreover whether men wanted to be like their fathers or not- that was for them to decide, but Belle knew that fathers to most people were a sour subject. Their relationship with their fathers, the way they talk about them or do not talk about them, was of enough substance to truly get them. If Earl Baylor dived into his relationship with his father- Belle could propose another question, something that would perhaps not make any sense to him but to her will tell her a lot.

“You are her brother, you are right to worry. You are also right in wanting to keep her safe, you love her and she loves you. It is the nature of siblings, to always want to protect their siblings,” Belle said, a small smile on her face as she mused about her relationship with her siblings. Though Thomas and her rarely could be in the same room for more than 30 minutes without her getting upset at him, she loved him- he was her brother after all, as troubled as he may be. And though, Josephine’s and Belle’s relationship was distant recently as the sun was from the moon, Belle loved her with all her heart. They were her siblings after all- siblings usually made your childhood bearable. Which is way a sibling’s death is never easy- after all, if you have a sibling and they die to you stop saying you have one? Or will you always be a sibling even when the other half of the equation is gone? A sibling with a dark hole. Yes, Belle thinks- siblings can never be replaced. “Because you worry- you are a good brother- and because you are good brother, you worry. Lady Maisie also often worries about you, she wishes for your happiness as she has told me. She’s quite grateful for you, I think she always wanted to ask you as well- are you happy?” Belle pursed her lips, not allowing him to answer that question , as after all happiness was temporary and in this moment of time, most have not yet found happiness. “Life is filled with complications, is it not?” She asked instead, “I always wondered how much tragedy can someone face till they cannot hold it in anymore”

When he expressed gratitude for the offer of her sending tea to them, Belle just nodded her head. But she heard something that quirked her interest, “Pardon me, but is Lady Mehta not one of the ladies who debuted today? Your family hostes her and her family?” Belle asked remembering the last name of ‘Mehta’ as she had heard the queen announced it- she was paying deep attention as the queen listed the names of all the debutantes. It seemed that not one but two people debuted this year from that household. For some reason that interested her.

With the way the earl talked about yearning and marriage, Belle could tell something; his heart was taken whether he knew that or not. But by who? She tried to think of the ladies that would match his personality, that would make sense as someone who would make fall for him- but she had too many drinks to think of such things right now. He seemed quite lost- “Societal expectations are after all meant to trap people inside a box,” And that was why when Belle could- she went against them. Like marriage for example- a societal expectation she had no interest in. She was not meek and mild, as most men preferred their ladies to be- as how society wished for women to be like- to be seen and not to be heard. Belle did not like to be seen or perceived more like, but she liked to be heard- she liked to have an opinion and she was one to speak her mind nor matter how rude it might come across.

. “Perhaps people are drawn to the idea of romantic love because it offers a profound connection, a sense of belonging, and an emotional intensity that few other experiences can match.”

When he talked of love- romantic love offering a sense of belonging, Belle frowned to herself. She had often thought that romantic love stripped a person of their individuality, make them incredible vulnerable. So vulnerable you can only feel whole with them- and him saying it just solidified her thoughts. Romantic love was truly a cruel- cruel thing. A concept only created to weaken you- to break you down. That was why nuns, priest and heroes in fiction swore of romantic love- it drives your focus away and make you mad. Belle had no wished to be mad nor vulnerable.

“People often do think love is the savior of it all- that if they are ruined, love can save them. But love cannot solve it all and people refused to see that, and yet people fall in love because they wanted someone to see how ruined they were and still like them for it- make them feel wanted because they often felt unwanted.” Belle shared her perspective on those who wanted to fall ‘lost in love’ “Love is truly an interesting concept, it makes a lot of people run made. Some can live and die for love, what about you? If you fell deeply in love would you die for a lover or live for one? or none.” No Belle had no idea why she was talking much about love, the topic did not even interest her and yet talking about it did help understand it more and dive into the world of someone who was divided in his thoughts on love. “Oh! your family, they breed the best of horses, do they not?” Belle said shifting the conversation, “if it’s alright with you- I shall like to test that,”

@Jass

1 Like

Pre-dance four Belle Fleur

Baylor observed Belle’s reaction to him talking about Maisie and their childhood attentively. He felt there was an unspoken understanding about his sister shared with Belle. Her question about his father prompted him to reflect, it seemed Belle pressed him a bit on something she might have noticed was a more emotional and vulnerable topic, his father. Well, she did not press him, she even said he did not have to talk, but even in those words he heard an underlying desire to learn more. And quite frankly, Baylor, affected by the port, and everything going through his mind surrounding his father, he wanted to share some things with her at least.

“My late father,” Baylor began, his tone carrying a mix of emotions, mostly somberness, “His business was well respected and therefore he was considered an upstanding member of our community.” there was a massive however coming. He hesitated for a brief moment before continuing, “but well, he had his complexities and life was not always easy. Yet, he did have his moments of wisdom and warmth, and he did the best he could in his own way. Let’s just say his influence was a mixture of challenges and valuable life lessons.” He did not want too speak too negatively of his father, he had been a young widower. He suddenly had been forced to deal with his own emotions surrounding the death of his wife, responsibilities of keeping up the family business, as well as taking care of two children age 10 and 3 mostly by himself. Plus, his father did not have a true father figure himself for most of his life. “It’s heartwarming to hear about the strong bond in your family, Mademoiselle Fleur.” he said as he gave her a smile, “I wish I had been blessed with such. Even if Maisie is most dear to my heart.”

He pondered for a second surrounding his inquire if he desired to be like his father, “It’s true that many sons aspire to follow in their fathers’ footsteps, to emulate their strengths and learn from their experiences. My father was indeed a businessman, but his path wasn’t always easy, and it had its share of complications. I do respect his business acumen, but our relationship was complex. My focus has been on finding my own way in life, following the principles and values I believe in, while also learning from his successes and challenges.” he answered quite truthfully. He did not want to be like his father, in fact there were many ways in which he wanted to be the opposite of his father had been. He had respect however how his father had grown the family business and had a very calculated mind, much like Baylor himself. There were certainly things about his father that inspired him, but he would never want to become like his father.

He gave her a small nod as she talked about how being protective is in the nature of siblings. “Indeed, family bonds run deep, and the desire to protect and care for one’s siblings is a fundamental part of who we are. It’s a responsibility and a privilege that I take very seriously. Maisie is my sister, and I truly want nothing but the best for her.” It caught him by surprise a little as Belle switched around the roles and focused on how Maisie worried about him. Even if he knew Belle did not desire an answer to that question relating happiness, it made him reflect on it. There were certainly moments of happiness in his life. When he was in Scotland, the way he felt riding a horse, those quaint moments with his sister, even time spent with some of his friends brought him happiness. But if he truly was happy in his soul, he did not believe he was. He realised himself he was too damaged for that, too damaged by the early loss of his mom, too damaged having been bullied as a child, too damaged by his father, too damaged trying to figure life out now as Earl everything was his responsibility, too damaged trying to figure himself out, and what he wanted, balancing that with the expectations of society. The way he was damaged at his core, that contributed to him being scared of love. No lady would want him if they knew the way his soul had been scarred.

“Life can indeed be quite complex, and it often presents us with unexpected challenges and tragedies. It’s a test of our resilience and strength. As for how much one can endure, well, I believe that’s a deeply personal journey. Each person’s threshold for facing adversity varies, and it’s often surprising what individuals can withstand when tested.” he reflected on himself as he said so, he had managed to pull through, do the right thing for him and his sister in the challenging times. He did not want to let all the hardships he had faced defeat him.

“You are correct, Lady Priti Mehta was one of the debutantes at the Queen’s Introductions. It’s been a pleasure to host her family.” It truly was a pleasure. Since his father had passed, and Baylor had made the decision to cut down on staff as only two people living in the house did not need as much support anymore, the estate had been empty. With the arrival of the siblings, the estate felt more alive once again. Yet, it had been quite a recent change and there was still a lot to learn about the siblings.

He gave her a nod, agreeing with her sentiment, “You make a valid point, Mademoiselle Fleur. Love is indeed a complex and multifaceted emotion, and it can have a profound impact on individuals. While it can offer comfort and solace, it’s not a universal panacea for all of life’s challenges.” he gave her a faint smile “Love, as passionate and intense as it can be, often clouds our judgment and leads to decisions driven by emotion rather than reason. For someone who values logic and rationality, the unpredictability of love can indeed be a source of concern. It’s a double-edged sword, capable of great joy but also immense turmoil.” he was relief someone seemed to at least somewhat understand his views on love. It was something he desired, yet, something he wished to block out. Emotions, in his opinion, just complicated matters.

He thoughtfully replied to her dilemma, with a more reserved and logical tone, saying, “Mademoiselle Fleur, while I understand that deep love can be a driving force in people’s lives, I must admit that I lean toward the more practical and measured side of such matters. I believe that one’s purpose and responsibility in life extend beyond any single emotion, even love. I would strive to live a life that is meaningful, not solely for myself but also for the responsibilities and duties I carry as an Earl.”

He might continue, “As for the idea of dying for love, it’s a noble notion, but I would hope to make choices that promote life, growth, and well-being for both myself and those I care about. Ultimately, it’s the actions and sacrifices we make in the name of love that define the depth of our feelings, rather than a willingness to die for it. Love should enhance our lives and those around us, not diminish them. I believe love has the power to inspire us to do extraordinary things, but it should never be at the expense of one’s own well-being and identity.”

Baylor could not help but chuckle a bit at her sudden change of topic to his horses, “My, my, that is quite a change of topics.” Baylor was appreciative of the change in conversation to something more practical and light-hearted however. “Indeed, I take great pride in our horse breeding. I’d be delighted to introduce you to our stables and give you the opportunity to test the horses. It would be an honor to share that part of our family heritage with you.” Truth be told, he felt a touch embarrassed at the idea of showing Belle the stables. Everything about her screamed she was used to luxury and glamour, while the Rutherford stables were certainly not shabby, he was not quite sure if it would be up to her standards. “May I inquire whether you have any affinity for the equestrian arts? Horses and riding have always held a particular place in my heart, and I’m eager to discover if our inclinations align in this regard.”

@Kristi - Belle
@Littlefeets - Maisie (mentioned, seems she is quite the topic in their conversation, lol. Sorry!)
@Caticorn - Priti (mentioned)
@raviola - Nikhil (very briefly mentioned)

3 Likes

Dance 4: Ilyas Keats

English men were different from Indian men. Of that Priti was sure. They were very charming. Especially Lord Davis. The joy of their interaction still lingered in the back of her thoughts and even though Priti knew that she should probably not focus all of her thoughts on one man this early in the season, she let them linger on him for a few more moments. However, in all her daydreaming she wasn’t paying any attention to where she was going and she found herself colliding with another person.

After steadying herself, she turned to face the person. It was a tall and, Priti had to admit, handsome man. Though she couldn’t say that she had met any unattractive men so far this evening. Either way, it made her embarrassed that she was meeting him this way. She stood up straighter, correcting her posture to reflect her usual confidence.

“Forgive me, my lord. My mind was elsewhere” She started, adding a small curtsy to be as formal and polite as possible. The last thing she wanted to do was give someone, especially a man, she had just met a reason to think negatively of her. “Allow me to start over. My name is Priti Mehta.” She introduced herself, figuring that if she was already here with him, she might as well get acquainted.

@Madilnel - Ilyas

2 Likes

lyds

══✿══╡between dance 3 and 4 with Atlas╞══✿══

Atlas had matched the smile she had given him almost instantly. “You always have a way with words,” Lydia told him in response to his compliments, with a gracious smile. “I suppose the cosmos do work in mysterious ways,” She commented in response. Speaking to Atlas was different to the others. Lydia didn’t care on what she said to others, for most of the time how she came across didn’t matter to her. Though in this conversation, Lydia noticed herself growing increasingly mindful of her words and the impression she was giving off. She could feel herself caring far more - and that intrigued her. And scared her slightly.

She observed Atlas thoughtfully before she answered his question with an honest tone – “I think enjoying would be a strong word,” Lydia responded with a small laugh. “The rules, the expectations, they can feel… stifling?” She looked around the room, at all of those who happily adhere to the social norms. “This orchestrated atmosphere, it is not for me,” She explained, keeping her voice lowered, conscious of others around them. “I would say I’m attempting to make the best of it,” Lydia told him, with less of an effort to be discreet, and a optimistic smile.

“What about you?” Lydia asked him, remembering how she had seen him earlier - conversing with her sister. She thought humorously about whatever their interaction must have entailed. “Though I can infer you have been enjoying yourself,” Lydia told him, “I noticed your encounter with my sister, I couldn’t help but wonder if your expanding your horizons” She playfully inquired, in an attempt to tease him, “Perhaps you do have a type?”

══✿══╡°˖✧ ✿ ✧˖°╞══✿══

@sunflowerjm Atlas Delaney
@benitz786 Aurelia Ellis

1 Like

{ during dance 4 / with Corin }

⎯⎯ ୨୧ ⎯⎯

Margaret moved gracefully through the grand ballroom, her gown flowing elegantly with each step. Young ladies in their finest gowns sought the attention of potential suitors. Margaret, however, had a different mission tonight. She was not here to dance. Margaret was not here to pretend she was having the most wonderful ti- alright, she had to do that just to please her parents, knowing one thing leads to another and they would hear all about the ball and what their daughter was doing but let me continue. Margaret was not here to find a husband. She was here for a reason, and one reason only- alright maybe two, one being making her family happy but another, more important reason - witnessing everything that was bound to happen at the famous ball, having something to talk about with her friends and brothers. The truth was she hadn’t had any luck so far, from her brief interaction with her dear friend Augustus she couldn’t find out what happened before she arrived… not to fret, the night was still young.

She had heard whispers of Mr. Blackwood, the renowned traveler, whose tales of distant lands had intrigued the girl. There was not a single thing that would stop Margaret from resisting the temptation to seek out the figure who had occupied her mind ever since she’d heard about his arrival. A question lingered at the periphery of her thoughts - why was a man of such renowned travels and worldly knowledge gracing their town with his presence? She couldn’t help but wonder about the purpose of his visit, there was more to Mr. Corin’s arrival than met the eye. Of course she could leave this matter to her brother, hearing of the stranger’s earlier days with a gentlemen she once called a friend and Archie hopefully still considering Ilyas his friend, he would get all the information Margaret needed. But who could wait that long? Certainly not Margo.

She had never met Mr. Blackwood yet she was convinced that the gentleman standing across the room could be none other than him. His aura exuded an air of worldly knowledge, a man who had explored uncharted territories and experienced the extraordinary but she was expecting something else. Margaret was expecting to find the man engaging in a conversation with the prettiest ladies, or someone she was sure she would not be fond of, so to see him standing alone both intrigued her more and made her realize that the opportunity to converse with this traveler had presented itself. She had heard hushed rumors and innuendos about his connection with her family, whispers of a business that she was not yet privy to so she decided not to mix her family into this possible conversation. Not to go in depth about who she really was.

In her quest for knowledge and desire to be part of the latest gossip, she was determined to learn more about the man. ”Mr. Blacwood,“ Margaret’s voice held a gentle elegance, concealing the curiosity that lurked beneath her surface charm. She maneuvered through the swirling sea of skirts and tailored gentlemen to stand in front of the man. While keeping her expression rather stoic, her eyes sparkled with a mixture of curiosity and admiration as she bowed. ”I must admit, my lord, the world has its mysteries and its wonders, and I have heard that your travels have unveiled some of the most captivating secrets of far-off lands. But I am certain nothing can come close to this little town of ours.“ She carefully started, not praising the man as much as there was space to do it. A simple statement that could reveal a tiny bit of his reasoning to be here.

⎯⎯ ୨୧ ⎯⎯

@/DandelionKate - be nice mister

1 Like

Belle listened as earl Baylor talked of his father. There was no blunt negativity in the way he spoke of his father- yes- that was for sure. But there was negativity. It seemed that perhaps he had grown up thinking his father was a god- only to find out he was not. The way he talked of his father was colored by sadness than she did not know if he knew he was showing- valuable life lessons, he said. That only truly meant one thing; his father was not among the best of men- to put it in nicer terms, He was valuable in teaching Baylor what not to be. And she thinks perhaps the earl is sad about that but happy at the same time as he had a layout on the time of person he should not be- the type of person he should strive to be better than. “Your father-” Belle began, “He taught you so much didn’t he? Just not in the way you expected it to be taught,” He taught you how to be a careful man, while he was a careless man-- Belle thought, “You are a man and even you agree with the statement- most men’s desires lie on this; growing into their father’s shoes. But yours is to grow bigger than his shoes is that not?” Belle asked tilting her head as she stared at him with a doe-eye, It was a blunt question, one that perhaps felt like a knife- but her tone was soft, to hopefully lessen the stabbing effect of her words. He was lucky in that way- that he had not met Belle when she was younger, because the younger her would not have softened her voice, the younger one did not understand how to speak too people much without accidentally offending them due to her curiosity and sharp tongue. “I wish you all the luck I can give,” Belle said as she took a step back from him, her face analytic. She could not help but wondering if in the future- he shall be useful to her.

Perhaps not, because what purpose shall she have with him? He was not a friend of her’s- the only thing that connected him to her was that Belle was fond of his sister, but perhaps his business skills will be favorable to build an alliance. He and Louis shall make the best of friends, mutual benefit and perhaps make the Rutherford allies. “You can always be blessed with a beautiful family in the future, it is only a matter of the choices you do not repeat and the caution you take,”

If one’s goal is focused on not becoming like their father, Belle often found that they will become like their fathers without them knowing. Most are worst than their fathers, few are better- it seems like it is a lineage curse. If a somewhat cruel father inherited his cruelness from his own father, will it not make sense that the son shall continue the lineage even if he tries not to? Especially if your father was the person who hurt you the most. If not for the fact that Belle had been the one to hurt her mother the most instead of the reversed- because after all Belle was a thorn, a tained child- then she would have repeated the same mistakes her mother did when she was of Belle’s age. Yes, Belle had been hurt by her mother and then she had hurt her mother even more to not walk on the same faith her mother had walked- she had seperated herself from her mother’s faith through cruelness.

It made her pity her mother at times- her mother had wanted flowers for a child but instead got thorns, *but if she wanted flowers then perhaps she should have done a better job. *

“She’s quite lucky to have a brother like you it seems,” Belle commented. “And you’re quite lucky to have a sister like her- because it seems, that you are truly in need of a sister like her but not in the way you think you do,” Belle said, as she let herself get lost inside her thoughts- there was a clear message in what she meant. She was no seer and she held no insights to the future, and yet this was a prophecy. Not given to her by any gods but by what she saw. He needed someone like his sister- who seemed like a contrast in his life.

She was pulled out of her thoughts as he began to speak and her ears tinged- a reminder to her to get pulled back into the human world. “You are right in that- I suppose- human nature is complex,there is a different amount of troubles one can face without completely destroying their soul. Some can contain little and others can contain a lot.” And Belle was among the one’s who could withstood a lot, at times it was not even necessary- what she was putting herself through but in order to reach the goal, the goal she had always planned as a kid. It was more than necessary, she did not feel sorry for herself- after all what is there to pity in her? When she had brought it upon herself? No one had forced her to do the things she did, well except for maybe society. But still, Belle had wield a knife in places that needed not to be stabbed. And that was why feeling sorry for her was amusing- it was unfortunate how her relationship with someone so dear to her, someone she cared so deeply for her, her sister had turned out, and it was unfortunate how her relationship with her mother was hanging by a thread as Belle held a multitude of distrust towards her beautiful mother, and it was unfortunate that she was born into a world that was not for women- but with all that… it was not enough to feel sorry for Belle. After all have you ever felt sorry for the thorns that prick you?

“The mehtas- if I may ask where are they from?” It was obvious they were foreigners, from the continent not so far away from Eurpe, Asia. That much was true, but where and who exactly where they? They seemed quite interesting and if Belle was to invite Lady Maisie to a tea party, it will not be fair to live out the other lady who resided in that house- Ms.Mehta. “Does she enjoy tea?” Belle asked curiously as she wondered shall she send an invite to her? She was a new lady, it would be best if she got acquainted with the people of here and Belle wanted to see something about them, have a nice talk.

From the way the earl talked about love, it was clear they had similar views on it, except for the fact that he desired it just thought he could not have it, while Belle held no desire for it at all. He was to get married, due to the fact he was the head of his household and society deemed for him to marry and gain a heir- Belle was notto get married even though society deemed it for her. “It seems I am agreeing with you more so that I’ve agreed with a person who wasn’t my three closest friends in a long time.” Belle said amused, “Indeed one should not die or live for love, as love after all can lead to your downfall. One should always strive to leave for themselves, but we never truly do live for ourselves do we?”

Belle had thought of it- her desire was this; to be fully independent. To live for herself, but she knew that yes independence was possible in a way but living for yourself was not. Why? because Belle had people she cared for and were to embedded in her lives, people who would not leave her alone even if she begged them. She lived for herself and for them in a way.

Thank God, there was not too many people to live for

She had made sure to lower that.

And there won’t be a certain focus- one person who she is truly striving to live for because they are individual peoples. It was such a beautiful thing, not needing nor wanting romantic love.

“And I shall be honored to see it,” Belle said- it was indeed a fast change of topics. But she had always been curious of the rutherfords horses, said by people to be the best in England and perhaps all of Europe. “I do enjoy horse riding, it is a hobby I am most fond of. In a way it makes me feel free she said, having my hair flying in the wind. It is relaxing and at the same time not.”

@Jass

1 Like

guilt is a cruel lover

No Dance: Conversation w/ Margo Hastingston ~ongoing~

After his interaction with Maisie, Corin was feeling more drained than he had anticipated. Presenting himself as a distinguished man of class and nobility despite holding none of the aforementioned embellishments was exhausting to say the least. The entire night had been exhausting despite Corin’s lack of actual female conversation, apart from one. However, he needed to speak to more women, to make himself known to more women.

After all, Corin’s estate was nearly finished in its construction, and soon he would need a lady, or a few it would seem, to grace the halls of the new Blackwood Manor.

The ceaseless chatter and laughter enveloped him, each encounter more draining than the last, as he made his way back against the wall Harrison had pulled him from. In the midst of the ballroom, he strategized his next move, contemplating the delicate balance of appearing engaged while yearning for a moment of solitude. The weight of social expectations pressed upon him, like an intricate dance of wits and appearances, and Corin fought the urge to leave the gathering all together.

He had wondered where Orpheus had gone off to. Surely, he was having a better night than Corin was, likely laughing and dancing amongst the clatter of it all. Orpheus was always so put together at events like these.

Corin, unlike Orpheus, was far from poised and perfect. In fact, Corin held little desire to appear that way, and if it were not a necessity, his appearance here in England at all would be very minimal.

Corin viewed each large-scale event as a giant chess board. A world map filled with people of many varieties, all pining after the same thing, royalty. It was true in chess, and it seemed true in life, that every piece below the King seemed so ready to fall at his feet, as royalty were always seen as more important than the pawns that sacrificed themselves in the name of the royal family. In every land Corin had been to, he had seen men of great renown and intelligence give themselves to Kings of old and new, a pathetic display Corin refused to submit to.
Therefore, Corin moved frequently, never resting in one place for too long to prevent himself from committing himself and his loyalties to any King, or nobleman for that matter, ever again. Each interaction from Corin was carefully chosen, methodical, and strategic.
Corin did not move unless the board around him demanded a turn. Corin did not speak unless the people at his side deserved his voice. In this game of chess, Corin refused to be another piece sacrificed in service to another. He refused to be a pawn in anyone’s game.

Yet, part of him yearned for an encounter that transcended the scripted pleasantries, a moment of authenticity in a world governed by strategy. In this glamorous, exhausting ballroom, he was a strategist of both social graces and his own weary heart, seeking that elusive connection, even a fleeting one, amidst the splendid chaos.

Although despising romantic engagements, Corin had always enjoyed the spark of amiable connection that grew from these events. He had met some of his longest standing business partners, closest traveling companions, and best drinking buddies along the ‘chess board’. Perhaps England would provide the same.

Corin glanced around the ballroom slowly, his eyes scanning each individual before a figure suddenly appeared in front of him. Corin took a slow sip from his flask, glancing her over.

She was absolutely breathtaking.

So beautiful, in fact, Corin nearly choked on his tea. He had never seen someone so lovely in all his travels. From the furthest corners of Eastern Asia to the Southern-most-tip of Italy, no one had held his gaze the way she did.

A brief thought flashed across his mind…if this were a chess board, perhaps, just maybe, she would be the Queen he would happily sacrifice himself for.
Her beauty held a sort of encompassing allure. The kind that made you forget yourself, and your previous thoughts, and fall into her instead.

The type of beauty that was deadly.

As quickly as his mind had acknowledged her features, the guilt of his attraction began to seep in. Every ounce of his body recoiling as he recalled his past in flashes. A burning blend of past and present moment that set his skin on fire. A guilt that ran deeper than the scars that littered his body.

Corin’s mind was interrupted as the girl started speaking.
“Mr. Blackwood.” She spoke, her voice soft yet firm in her conviction, a striking contrast to itself and her features. Corin’s face, once filled with an intrigued attachment to her own features, now furrowed in confusion. She had known his name? Surely, if Corin had met a girl of such unworldly beauty before he would have remembered her.

“I must admit, my lord, the world has its mysteries and its wonders, and I have heard that your travels have unveiled some of the most captivating secrets of far-off lands. But I am certain nothing can come close to this little town of ours.” She spoke the faintest hint of flattery that nearly made Corin smile.

“I am no Lord.” Corin corrected, his face flat and emotionless. “And you are quite right that the allure of far-off-lands and their mysteries is undeniable…” Corin started, standing up straighter as he looked down and met her eyes. Eyes that held a sparkling connection…the one he had been looking for.

“However certain you may be, I am afraid England holds little to captivate me. At least, it did not use to…” As Corin spoke, he fought the smile that threatened to break his cool composure. Understanding his own feigned romantic interest in order to achieve his end goals, Corin prepped the words he spoke before each utterance left his lips.

A small woman, petite and fraile, had not only addressed him directly, but spoken with such conviction that Corin was nearly uncertain of his own response.
She held an aura of confidence and self-assured poise alongside her physical beauty that increased her presence tenfold.

Perhaps, Corin thought, she would make a perfect candidate.

“Forgive me, Miss, but it seems my reputation has proceeded me. Yet, I remain woefully ignorant of yours. Your name, my lady?” Corin asked, confused and intrigued by the girl that stood before him.

The first lady, since his arrival, that Corin had taken a true interest in.

mentioned:
Margo (@astxrism)
Orpheus

3 Likes

Pre-dance four Belle Fleur ~ ending of interaction

Baylor’s gaze turned contemplative as Belle remarked on the hidden lessons his father had taught him. Her words resonated deeply, and he nodded in agreement. “You’re absolutely right, Mademoiselle Fleur,” he said, a touch of melancholy in his voice. He believed Belle had been quite spot on in understanding the underlying messages of what he was saying. “My father’s teachings were often wrapped in complexities and unspoken wisdom. It was not the path I expected, but it did shape who I am today.” Her observation had touched upon a sensitive subject, one that Baylor had spent years coming to terms with. “As for growing bigger than his shoes, indeed that is what I desire.” he admitted, “I desire to become an improved version of my father. And I am most thankful for your luck in those desires, for I do not expect it shall be an easy road to grow bigger than my father.” Truthfully however, Baylor had already proven himself a better man that his father, yet he was far from convinced about that himself. One thing he was convinced of however, is that he enjoyed Belle’s bluntness and directness, yet a certain gracefulness with which she delivered such statements. He enjoyed how she seemed to have a bright mind. He in fact quite enjoyed Belle’s company in general, even if she somewhat intimidated her.

Baylor gave a faint, appreciative smile and replied, “Your words are kind, Mademoiselle Fleur. I do my best to make thoughtful choices and avoid repeating past errors, though the path ahead remains uncertain. I shall remain cautious and endeavor to find a way forward.” His expression conveyed a sense of hope for a better future and the determination to avoid repeating the mistakes of the past. “To create a beautiful family for myself, with a respectful lady by my side.” he sighed a bit, “And I suppose at least one child. It aligns with societal expectations for someone in my position, and I’ll strive to make choices that benefit not only myself but any future family I may have.”

Baylor raised an eyebrow, intrigued by Belle’s comment. “Indeed, Maisie is a blessing, and I’m grateful to have her as my sister. She brings a unique light to my life. But, Mademoiselle Fleur, you’ve piqued my interest with your observation. What do you mean by ‘not in the way I think I do’? Could you elaborate?” There was a deep curiosity and desire in his voice to understand what Belle meant by her statement. Him needing her sister, it confused him. What about her was Belle convinced he needed in his life?

As she agreed to his sentiment regarding how much people can face, Baylor could not help but nod and agree at her words, “I believe that captures a fundamental truth about the human spirit indeed.” he said, “Simply not all can carry the same amount of hardships as others. It’s a reminder of the importance of understanding and supporting one another in our journeys.” he maintained a warm and friendly expression, “Life, in all its complexities, tests us in different ways, and it’s how we respond to those tests that truly matters. Some may possess a remarkable resilience, drawing strength from adversity and using it to grow. Others might need more time or assistance to overcome their challenges. It’s a testament to the richness of the human spirit that we each have our own path to navigate, our own lessons to learn, and our own unique ways of facing the trials that come our way.” He found this subject quite intriguing, while Baylor knew he always approached situations very logically and was relatively resilient, he respected people were different, and others might have different matters and routes of coping with hardships. Especially people with a logical mind were prone to forgetting not everything thought and dealt with things in the most rational way, but Baylor had learned to not judge others for such, simply see it as different ways a brain could function.

To her inquiry where the Mehtas are from, Baylor replied factually, “The Mehtas are originally from India, a country rich in culture and history. I am under the impression they bring a unique and vibrant flavor to our society.” he gave Belle a brief smile before continuing, “I do believe Lady Metha does enjoy tea, though I am afraid you shall have to confirm with the lady in question herself.” He then added thoughtfully, realising she had probably asked as she was considering inviting her for tea too, “If you wish to each invite my sister and lady Metha for a tea party, I would be most delighted to provide transportation for the ladies to the British Fleur estate.” During the conversation with Belle he had realised it might not be a bad thing to strengthen relationships with the Fleur family. Whether that was through himself, his sister, or another family he was closely tied to. He happily sacrificed his own access to a carriage for such meetings.

He studied the lady as she said she had agreed with him surrounding his views on love. He saw her in a slightly different light now than at the start of the conversation. She was a stunning lady, that could not be denied. But mostly he found her brain fascinating, the way she viewed and talked about society, it was not often one found a lady who was so outspoken about her thoughts regarding these matters as love and marriage, more specifically the downsides of it. He found her quite a wise women in fact, and truth be told, he felt like she outsmarted him and he had to overcompensate for that in their conversation. Once again in the following words Baylor replied thoughtfully, “You make an astute observation, Mademoiselle Fleur. Indeed, the concept of living solely for oneself is a complex one. Our lives are intertwined with those we care about, and our choices often have far-reaching impacts. While it’s essential to maintain our independence and personal goals, we find fulfillment and purpose in the connections we forge with others, be it family, friends, or the responsibilities we shoulder. It’s a delicate balance between self-discovery and the interconnectedness of life.”

“Very well then, Mademoiselle Fleur.” he gave her a nod, “I shall be in contact with your staff to arrange your visit to our stables. We are truly honoured to be hosting you.” he gave her a bow as he spoke. If he would manage to have Belle interested in the Rutherford stables, the Fleur family was a powerful family so it might do his business good. He needed to make a mental note to arrange everything was organised to perfection at her visit. He might even spend some of the money in the bank on adding a stable hand to the staff team to assist him in the process of preparing the horses and stables for her visit. Baylor had mostly been dealing with the horses, sure he received help from those living at the estate, but most of the day-to-day responsibilities were his. Therefore the stables were not flawless, they worked for him and most of his clients, but he knew they needed to be improved before her visit, and he knew it would be stupid not to invest in some extra help.

He knew he might have gone overboard on his business strategies in his mind however, and them sharing a fondness for horse riding was something that was just as important to focus in on, “And I’m delighted to hear that you have an interest in horse riding. Horses can indeed provide a unique sense of freedom and connection with nature. It’s a pursuit that allows one to escape the constraints of daily life and find solace in the outdoors. When you asked whether I am truly happy, horse riding is one of those rare moments I found myself having a taste of happiness.” he tried to connect with her more by sharing this quite personal revelation.

Suddenly, the ports had caught up with his bladder, and he knew it would be a wise idea to quickly pay the restrooms a visit before sharing a dance with Aurelia. “Mademoiselle Fleur, it truly was my pleasure to share this conversation and make your acquaintance. You are most welcomed here, and I hope you shall enjoy the rest of the season in London.” he gave her a bow once he finished speaking.

Pre-dance five Abigail Brantley

After his dance with Aurelia, he noticed Abigail Brantley standing on her own. He thought it might be a good idea to quickly go introduce himself to her, for he had invited her to her stables alongside her brother. He also had felt that maybe Bainbridge had an underlying desire to set Abigail up with him, so it would be interesting to get to know her himself a bit through a conversation. He approached Abigail, taking into account what he had learned about her through the conversation with Bainbridge, that she was quite introverted and on the shy side. “Lady Abigail Brantley, if I am correct?” he confirmed as he did not want a situation as the one with Belle “I hope you’re having a pleasant evening. Above all, allow me to convey my warmest felicitations on your successful introduction into society.” he hoped some kind words would make her feel somewhat more at ease.

“Earlier this evening, I shared a conversation with your brother in which he expressed interest in our horses, at the Rutherford stables. I invited him to visit the stables, and expressed you were most welcome to join. I wanted to personally extend an invitation for you to visit our stables next Wednesday alongside your brother, if you please and find yourself available.” he explained the situation to her, to show he was not just randomly approaching her, but had already spoken with her brother before about this. Yet also show he found it important enough to invite her personally, not just through her brother.

He gave her a smile before going into the next part, “I have understood you might be more on the introverted side, and I want to assure you that you’re more than welcome to join us at your own pace. There’s no pressure, and we’d be delighted to have you whenever you feel comfortable. Horses can be quite calming and wonderful companions for those quieter moments. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to share them with me.” He maintained a friendly but gentle eye contact, showing that he respected her boundaries and wanted to make the experience as pleasant as possible for her.

@Kristi - Belle
@LunaticLeviTheSecond - Abigail (and Bainbridge mentioned)
@Littlefeets - Maisie (sorry, this will hopefully be the last mentioned for now!!)
@Caticorn - Priti (mentioned)
@benitz786 - Aurelia (briefly mentioned)

4 Likes

86f66602d08dc77a6f57dbbe1fba133f0a635fbe_2_690x203

Ilyas felt a familiar sense of unease and discomfort settling within him as he navigated the ballroom. He couldn’t shake the feeling that these grandiose gatherings were more of an obligation than an enjoyable experience. Ilyas couldn’t help but feel a growing desire to escape from the watchful gaze of his father.

These grandiose gatherings, while meant to uphold the family’s reputation and status, often felt like a suffocating ordeal. He longed for moments of freedom, where he could be himself without the constant scrutiny and expectations that came with being the heir to a prominent family. The burden of responsibility weighed on his shoulders, and he wished for a reprieve from the relentless pressure of society. The ball was just another reminder of the life he felt forced into, rather than one he chose for himself.

Ilyas had always found the family business intriguing. The complexities of trade, the art of negotiation, and the delicate dance of politics all held a certain allure for him. He possessed a natural aptitude for it. However, what he resented was the burden of responsibility that came with being the heir. He didn’t want to be confined by the rigid expectations of the Keats family, to follow in their footsteps, to be molded into the next in line to run the empire. He craved the freedom to explore his own path, to make his own choices, and to escape the weight of familial obligations.

The burdens of his future as a Duke and the weight of his family’s expectations always weighed on him during such events. Every polite smile and nod felt like another link in the chain that bound him to this life he wasn’t sure he wanted. Yet, here he was, putting on a façade of social grace.

And now, this woman, Priti, had disrupted his brief escape. He didn’t care much about being rude. His thoughts wavered between the desire to leave this party and the knowledge that his absence would only stoke his father’s disapproval. The inner turmoil simmered beneath the surface of his polished but noticeably cold exterior.

Ilyas, still somewhat annoyed by the collision but intrigued by her name, couldn’t resist a cocky comment. “No need for apologies, Miss Mehta. Sometimes, it takes a bit of a bump to shake things up, wouldn’t you agree?” His smirking tone was hard to miss.

A wry grin tugged at the corners of Ilyas’s lips as he decided to add a touch of suave, cocky charm to his introduction. “I am Lord Ilyas Keats,” he purred, his dark eyes locking onto hers with a knowing gleam.

@Caticorn Priti

3 Likes

AbigailBrantley

Considering Abigail had nobody to talk to, she sighed, knowing this moment wouldn’t last for long and she rejoiced in the silence and the short breath she was able to take. However the moment didn’t last long since after a minute or two of the dance taking place, she heard somebody mention her name. It was spoken with the soft accent usually used by Scottish highlanders, and as she turned to see who spoke her name, she was met with a very handsome and very tall gentleman. He was about the same heigh as Edgar, but she knows Edgar’s character and doesn’t feel as threathened by his height being so overpowwering to her own because she knows he’d never use it against her, but she doesn’t know this gentleman and doesn’t know if there is a chance he could be violent with her. It’s a curse that her own height always made her feel in danger from bigger, taller men, so in this situation she made it a point not to speak much until she at least knows who she is speaking with, answering only in pleasentries. “Yes, that is me?” She answered warily and softly. Before she was able to ask for his name, he interrupted her and said “I hope you’re having a pleasant evening. Above all, allow me to convey my warmest felicitations on your successful introduction into society.” She replied with a simple thank you, but her thoughts were now muddled with why he considered her introduction into society succesful when she only showed exactly how nervous she was. She thought maybe he only said that to be nice or maybe he said that becuase he didn’t notice her during the introduction and he just generally told her what every young lady wishes to hear … But then if he hadn’t seen her introduction to notice her nerves, how does he know her name. She realized he knows her name, and yet her thoughts prevented her from asking his. The prolonged silence made by her loud thoughts made him speak again just as she was about to and he mentioned something about a deal with Bainbridge, her brother. Thant explains is She thought. Her brother spoke to him, knowing who he is and when suggesting a meeting with her he pointed her out. “I have not seen my brother this whole evening to know of this. Might I ask your name sir, or do you like to be found mysterious? I suggest you give me your name, I don’t like being at a disadvantage with men, and you seem to know much more about me than I know about you.”

@Jass - Baylor

1 Like

Pre-dance five Abigail Brantley

Baylor responded to Lady Abigail’s inquiry with politeness and a touch of charm, understanding her curiosity and her desire for an equal footing in their conversation, though the serious and logical nature beneath his exterior remained evident. He maintained a friendly and approachable demeanor, his eyes showing warmth and understanding as he addressed her concerns, as he believed that was the best way to go about the situation. Show her kindness, respect and understanding. As Baylor could understand her almost seeming a bit overwhelmed with what he had told. While Baylor was a bit more accustomed to the small talk and social interactions in the season, he himself had in his earlier years felt overwhelmed talking to anyone he had not been acquainted with yet. Quite honestly, his introversion was partially the reason he had not yet married in the previous season. He mostly shared dances and conversations with ladies he knew already and just was afraid to really take a chance with someone new. There had even been many a night where Baylor had just been standing on the side, maybe briefly talking to a friend, but mostly enjoying his own company.

“I understand your surprise, Lady Brantley,” he said with a gracious nod. Even with his Scottish accent, his voice was as smooth as silk, carrying a hint of a soothing melody. “Your brother and I had a brief but pleasant conversation earlier this evening. He expressed an interest in visiting our stables, and I mentioned the possibility of your joining us. However, as I mentioned before, please rest assured there’s absolutely no pressure or obligation.” He felt due to the situation, it made sense to briefly repeat how he had met her brother and what they had discussed.

As he had extended the invitation to Lady Abigail, Baylor’s mind briefly wandered back to his own early experiences in the season. He remembered the slight feeling of being overwhelmed, of wanting to retreat to a quiet corner instead of engaging in conversations with strangers. It was that memory that drove his empathetic approach, wanting to ensure that Lady Abigail wouldn’t feel the same way. His internal analysis continued as he maintained friendly eye contact with Lady Abigail, making sure not to add any undue pressure on her. He continued speaking, “It truly is entirely your choice if you wish to join us, and I want you to know that I’m here to make sure you feel entirely at ease with the arrangement. If you decide to accompany us to the stables, I must admit I look forward to getting to know you better. If not, I want you to know that I completely understand. Your comfort and well-being are of the utmost importance.” He would never want to make her feel forced to do something she did not want, for it mostly had been a nice gesture to invite her. While he was truthful about wanting to get to know her a bit better, there was a more logical approach behind his actions and words.

His words, although coming from an Earl who was accustomed to social interactions, were genuine and empathetic, reflecting his logical yet caring nature. He approached this situation with a methodical and thoughtful demeanor, aiming to ensure that Lady Abigail didn’t feel pressured into a situation that might make her uncomfortable. He glanced at her, her expression, and her body language, hoping to gauge her reaction to his words. Baylor understood the importance of non-verbal cues in such situations. His goal was to create a welcoming atmosphere, a chance for Lady Abigail to explore the stables at her own pace. And he hoped that she could see his sincerity in his eyes.

His thoughts then turned to his own introduction, recognizing that transparency was key in such a situation and she had been quite fair in wanting to know his name. Baylor chuckled softly and extended his hand towards Abigail, ready to make a proper introduction. “I apologize for any unintended mystery, Lady Brantley. You have every right to know my name, and it is only fair.” he reassured her, “The name is Baylor Rutherford, the Earl of Eastleigh. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.” His voice held a warmth that matched his charming smile, yet there was always an underlying sense of logic and rationality in his approach. Even in this interaction with Abigail, he aimed to go into it with certain goals of getting her to join her brother, and he adjusted himself in a way he thought he would be most successful in achieving it. “Pray, do not hesitate to pose any inquiries you may have, which shall serve to put your mind at ease.”

1 Like

Edgar chuckled, thinking for a second. ”Hmmm…speaking verses to the sky. Well, I do sometimes murmur poetry to myself, but perhaps I should use your idea. I shall try that and tell you how it goes. I mean this in all seriousness.” He smiled. Edgar was not one to joke around about things that he said he would do. If Edgar Füller said he was going to do something, you’d better believe that it would get done. This would be even more true for things he was doing for others. He hated letting people down. ”Have you also noticed how lovely books smell? Parchment just has this certain scent to it.” He smiled, closing his eyes. Edgar could almost smell parchment, as if he was currently in a library, and not a ballroom surrounded by people. Snapping back to reality, Edgar shook his head lightly. ”Apologies, I zoned out for a moment. I seem to do that a lot.” Albina had leaned closer to him, and, startled, he blinked. ”Certainly, even the most friendly person must have time alone. I believe that people are much to crazy to spend all our time surrounded by others” When Albina squeezed his shoulder, Edgar’s cheeks flushed, and he awkwardly cleared his throat. ”Lady Albina, while you say you may not have the temperament, I do certainly agree that you have the intelligence. That is precisely why I offered, as I know you will be able to appreciate the writing.” Smiling again, Edgar nodded at Albina’s offer to exchange musical talents. ”Certainly, I would love to hear you play. Learning new instruments would also be an enjoyment, especially if you are the teacher.”
@Jass - Albina

2 Likes

Dance number four Edgar Füller

Albina could not help but tease Edgar a little as she playfully responded to his thoughts on poetry. “I do look forward to hearing about your poetic conversations with the sky, Mr. Füller. I’ll hold you to your word” she chuckled a bit as she said, “for I’m rather curious to hear how the cosmos responds.” It was quite silly what she had brought up, but she enjoyed how Edgar took it quite seriously, and there was something intriguing and quite romantic about the idea op poetry and a sunrise.

When he mentioned the smell of books, Albina’s playful side emerged further. “Ah, Mr. Füller, you have a keen sense of smell. I must confess that the scent of a well-preserved book is something I find simply irresistible. The smell is as if you’re opening a portal to another world with each page.” she swooned even thinking about the smell, together with roses the smell of books was her favourite. Whether they were freshly printed, or had been stored for a while, she could not help but absolutely love the smell. Maybe it was because of the association with something she was passionate about, reading, but nevertheless the smell on its own was something she appreciated. “Are there any other smells you particularly enjoy?” she inquired, looking at him quite dreamingly, still have occupied thinking about books.

When he zoned out for a bit and apologised for it, Albina gave a playful smile as she said, “Don’t worry, Mr. Füller. I’ve been known to get lost in thought myself. It’s a sign of an inquisitive mind, I’d say” Her banter continued as she chuckled at their shared habit of getting lost in thought. “It’s always refreshing to meet someone who appreciates the beauty of zoning out every now and then. After all, it’s during those moments that we might discover our most intriguing ideas.” she playfully inquired, “Any epiphanies while you were zoned out?” Even if she had inquired in a joking sense, she would be a touch disappointed if he did not have at least one interesting insight to share.

She nodded at his statement on people being crazy to spend all their time surrounded by others, “Solitude can be a treasure. It allows us to escape the constant whirlwind of social engagements and truly connect with our inner thoughts and desires. A bit of introspection and self-discovery can go a long way in this mad world.” Not that Albina did not enjoy the madness of the world, in fact she enjoyed the madness and chaos. She strived in the whirlwind of society, but it could be easy to lose oneself in the chaos. Time spend alone always served as a reminder for Albina to not forget about herself.

As Edgar blushed and cleared his throat before complimenting her intelligence, Albina leaned in closer to Edgar, her eyes sparkling with mischief, and she gave him a playful nudge. “Mr. Füller, you truly have a way with words. It’s quite the skill to charm a lady with flattery and intellectual endeavors. But I must admit, your sincerity is rather endearing.” She grinned and raised an eyebrow. “And now you’ve piqued my curiosity even more. I shall look forward to our literary exchange with great anticipation.”

Albina’s eyes lit up with excitement. “Wonderful! I’m glad you’re open to learning something new, Mr. Füller. Music is a language that transcends words, and I find it to be one of the most beautiful forms of self-expression.” She leaned in a bit closer, her playful nature coming to the forefront. “Be prepared, though, for I can be quite the demanding teacher. But I promise it will be an enjoyable challenge, one that might even rival your poetic endeavors.” Her playful tone was accompanied by a mischievous twinkle in her eyes. “I shall prepare my pianoforte, violin and cello, and you can choose the first piece you’d like me to teach you. A musical challenge awaits.” she said giving him a subtle yet wink that captured her challenging sprit. Albina in fact was quite skilled at all three of the instruments she had mentioned, and she always enjoyed showcasing her talents as well as guiding someone in their road.

2 Likes

In-between Dances: Orpheus Langston

As the third dance ended, Finch was glad that he was able to spend it with Albina. There was no need to impress her and thus, it allowed him to relax for one dance. After separating from his friend, he spotted his younger sister in the crowd. She came over to him with a wide smile after the two made eye contact.

“Finch!” She excitedly exclaimed. “Thea was right about how exciting this is. I’ve danced so much and yet I do not feel tired.” Finch smiled, happy to hear that his sister was enjoying herself. It was the first ball of her debut season. She had a right to have a good time.

“I’m happy to hear that you are having a good night, Lettie.” He responded, remembering how excited she had been to try on her gown for the evening and the high expectations she had set for herself. “Have any gentlemen caught your eye yet?” While finding a match himself was not a priority, he had always been invested in the matches of his older siblings, particularly Juliet as his only younger sibling.

“Maybe. Maybe not. The night is still young.” She quipped, a cheeky smile on her face.

“Juliet!”

“Coming Mama!” Juliet called to their mother before turning back to Finch. “Enjoy the rest of your night, brother.” She said to him before heading in their mother’s direction. Finch began wandering the ballroom, looking for his next dance partner, when he noticed a figure on the balcony outside. As he got closer, he realized that he knew who it was.

“Orpheus.” He whispered to himself. He debated between approaching him or continuing to avoid him like he had for the past few years but he knew that if he left Orpheus in this condition, it would haunt him. So, he properly approached him, clearing his throat as he did so to alert him of his presence. They locked eyes and Finch could see a myriad of emotions in the younger man’s. Betrayal, anger, hurt. He began to speak and every sentence he said was like a knife in Finch’s heart, driven in by his use of Finch’s title rather than his name.

“Let me explain I-”

Orpheus cut him off, giving him a lecture that he knew he deserved but one that stung nonetheless. The night of which he spoke, which Finch had since come to regret, had clearly left wounds on Orpheus which had yet to heal. The accusation that he had preferred the company of a lover to that of the man who he at one point considered a brother. An accusation which was far from the truth. Hurting Orpheus was an unfortunate consequence of a drunken encounter and lack of self-control. He hated the fact that he had caused him this much pain and he hated that he no longer wanted to be near him.

“Orpheus…” He started, though he wasn’t sure how he was going to contradict his version of the events of that night. He was ashamed. It was a night which shouldn’t have happened. “It was never my intention to hurt you. I cared for you, I still care for you and I apologize if I made you think otherwise. We were both intoxicated that night and we were not thinking straight. I avoided you afterwards because I did not know what I would say.” He gave his best attempt at an explanation but the sight of Orpheus in his current state interfered with his ability to formulate cohesive sentences. All he wanted to do was comfort him but he knew that he wouldn’t accept it.

He took a deep breath as he tried to maintain what was left of his composure. “I deserve your anger and I won’t beg for your forgiveness because heaven knows I don’t deserve that but it pains me to see you like this.” He said, taking another step closer to him. He moved forward in small increments as if he was testing how close he could get to the man. He wanted to ask what he could do to better the circumstances between them but he didn’t think that Orpheus was in the right headspace for that at the moment.

@DandelionKate - Orpheus

2 Likes

no dance: encounter with Lydia

In response to Lydia’s remarks about how the environment was unsuitable for her, Atlas smiled a little. He was relieved to know he did not have to pretend to enjoy this ball for a moment by being with her, as he understood how she felt. “I too am making the best attempt to make the best of this ball, but I think I have had enough dances for tonight.” He said as he turned to look at the dance floor. Out of everyone there tonight, Atlas would not have minded sharing a dance with her; she was the only person he genuinely wanted to spend more time with. However, he knew it was best to respect Lydia’s feelings and not push her into doing something she didn’t enjoy. “Though another drink would be nice.” Atlas led Lydia to the side in order to have a bit more privacy—well, as much privacy as they both could have in this place. He took two drinks from the waitstaff’s roving trays as they approached them and handed one to her. “To whatever brings the night, my lady.”

As Lydia talked about him and her sister dancing, he turned his focus fully to her, and with Lydia’s question, the emotion he had been trying to push away earlier seemed to return. His gentle demeanor shifted to one of seriousness as he started to believe that perhaps his earlier thoughts were correct. Lydia used Aurelia’s dance with him as a way of letting him know she was not interested in him. He was unable to comprehend why Lydia couldn’t tell him honestly how she felt, as she was always the one to express her opinions despite who was in front of her. However, Atlas was unable to show his pain because doing so would only make him look foolish. Instead, he finished his drink and soon pretended as if the situation did not affect him and decided to play along. “Perhaps I do. Lady Aurelia really knows how to have a man musing over her even when she is not in their presence,” he said, changing his demeanor once more to a playful tease. “I did not expect to enjoy my dance with Lady Aurelia as much as I did. Maybe I should consider winning the heart of Lady Aurelia this season; what do you think?” He asked as he watched, waiting to see if his words affected Lydia in any way.

@novella lydia

mentioned:
@benitz786 aurelia

2 Likes

AbigailBrantley

He said he understood her surprise, but Abigail didn’t think he did understand, probably because she wasn’t surprised at him, she was confused why he’d tell her everything about himself before telling his name. When she asked his name he continued talking about her brother and his meeting as if they were already introduced which lead her to believ he has no manners at all, but he is from Scotland so she was prepared to learn how a Scot behaves differently and how his culture is different. However, they are in England and she wanted to show him that while being in England he shouldn’t usually take part in a conversation if he hasn’t introduced himself so she hadn’t responded to anything he said until he finally dropped his name.
“Lord Rutherford?” There’s the surprise he was talking about previously. "No offence to my brother, but how did he manage to interest you enough in a meeting? He’s not as business savvy as I imagine your family is. Despite this I have no idea what he would need horses for, his last business venture he told me about is one involving trains. I’m surprised at you, Lord Rutherford, to saying yes to something that might put you out of business.

@Jass

1 Like