Bridgerton | Official RP Thread

Dance number five Bruce Armstrong

Albina actually thought it was wise to pretend they hadn’t met before. It was quite scandalous, for her to have met him before on her own. “Ah, Monsieur Armstrong, vous avez vraiment une mémoire remarquable. On dirait presque que nous sommes des personnages dans un charmant roman, nous rencontrant pour la première fois dans ce cadre captivant. Quelle histoire intrigante, n’est-ce pas?” she said with a chuckle, speaking in a perfect French accent. She moved back to English however for her next words, “Excuse me, for I must have been mistaken. It seems your reputation precedes you and I have rather imagined having crossed paths before.” her words said they had not met, while her eyes conveyed a stronger message. One of recognition and mutual understanding this was not the time and place to discuss their previous meetings. “Perchance in a dream” she added playfully with a flirty undertone in her voice.

Her eyes were gleaming with amusement, as she responded, “Indeed, the London gossip mill can be quite imaginative, often weaving tales of mystery and intrigue. Though one must admit, a detective’s life does sound rather adventurous, and I’m sure it leaves no room for rest. But, as they say, ‘L’oisiveté est la mère de tous les vices,’ so perhaps it’s for the best that you stay active.” Her tone and words carried a playful hint of curiosity about his profession.

Albina responded in a playful yet complimentary manner to him inquiring whether he was dressed right for the occassion, emphasizing his impeccable attire, “Herr Armstrong, ich kann Ihnen versichern, Ihr Look ist makellos und sehr passend für diesen Anlass. Sie könnten die Aufmerksamkeit eines jeden auf sich ziehen. Meins hast du schon.” Her words, now flawless in German, were accompanied by a warm smile and a twinkle in her eye. She actually thought he looked good in his outfit, while she had first met him he had been just a boy in her eyes, but now here dressed like this, she really saw him as a gentleman. He had really grown up since they had last seen each other, and Albina enjoyed seeing that. The different languages in which he had spoken to her had also excited Albina, she liked the mental stimulation of using the different languages, something about him and how he challenged her brain always excited her.

With a hint of playful banter, Albina would reply, “Ah, the season must indeed be a source of pride for your father. As for my name, you may call me Lady Albina Northwick. It would be a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Mr. Armstrong, even if it’s for the first time.” She would give a charming smile and a subtle wink, implying that they both knew they’d met before, but the charade was a fun game and smart to keep up to protect their secrets.

Her mind once again went to the different languages they had used in the conversation and how it excited her, so she decided to ask in yet another language she knew: “¿Hablas solo inglés, francés y alemán, o bien te desenvuelves en algún otro idioma?” she pondered thoughtfully, with a smile on her face and as she was briefly playing with a lose hair strand.

She then chuckled a bit before saying, “And when, pray tell, shall I have the pleasure of your company on the dance floor? Or should I take the liberty of extending the invitation myself?” She raised a brow, playfully pretending to be annoyed about him not having asked her yet. She couldn’t keep up the act of frustration long and a hearty laugh followed promptly. With this however, she had showed her more proactive side, going for what she wanted, which right now was to, in a charming yet playful and flirty way, ask him to dance.

@Bluecookies - Bruce

Translations

Mostly did this myself with a bit of help from google translate, so don’t be too hard on me, okay?
Ah, Monsieur Armstrong, vous avez vraiment une mémoire remarquable. On dirait presque que nous sommes des personnages dans un charmant roman, nous rencontrant pour la première fois dans ce cadre captivant. Quelle histoire intrigante, n’est-ce pas? - Why, Mr. Armstrong, you have a remarkable memory. It’s almost as if we’re characters in a delightful novel, meeting for the very first time in this captivating setting. Such an intriguing tale, wouldn’t you agree?
L’oisiveté est la mère de tous les vices - French saying, sort of the devil makes work for idle hands. Literally idleness is the mother of all vices. So basically it means not being busy leads to wrong and immoral behaviour.
Herr Armstrong, ich kann Ihnen versichern, Ihr Look ist makellos und sehr passend für diesen Anlass. Sie könnten die Aufmerksamkeit eines jeden auf sich ziehen. Meins hast du schon. - Mr. Armstrong, I can assure you, your look is flawless and very fitting for this occasion. You could capture the attention of everyone this evening. Mine you already have.
“¿Hablas solo inglés, francés y alemán, o bien te desenvuelves en algún otro idioma?” - Do you only speak English, French and German, or do you speak any other language?

2 Likes

|1031px;x283px;

Perhaps Azu did not notice, but Aurelia’s expressions seemed to carry integrity. At least in comparison to the way she spoke to suitors like any other, she seemed much more enthusiastic about speaking with Azucena that way. The girl had to admit, she was much better at acting than she remembered. It made her question the integrity of their lifelong companionship. When did she become immune to the truth hiding behind her eyes?

Once, when they were young girls, they were used to their classic dynamic. Blue snuck them out to play in the garden, and Lia smiled and agreed not to tell anyone. Mother would propose a foolish idea and Lia would obey, whilst Azu nodded before proceeding to do the opposite. Aurelia would learn to read aloud, and Azucena would listen to her in order to make her predictions for the following sequences of the book. Lia was always the good one, the light shining gold that reflected onto Azucena’s cheap silver. Who had she become now?

She seemed to hesitate as she drew closer, easily puzzled by her demeanor. Obviously, Azucena was wise enough not to believe the foolish words of the members of the queen’s court. However, her dear friend’s gestures and corporal shifts seemed that she may not have been as deceptive as the girl thought. How lovely that would be, that this had all been quite the misunderstanding and they could continue as they did before the past year. Unfortunately, that could not be.

Then, she questioned Azucena’s behavior. Did she seriously still confide in her enough to ask that? The girl was not prepared with a respnse. In her fickle mind, she had been preparing different methods to manipulate Aurelia into sharing with her the information she yearned to know, the questions she no longer felt secure enough to ask. Never had she readied herself to explain her own behaviors, much less emotions.

Furthermore, she did not understand why her once friend might propose this question. She was supposed to know the answer to it. Was she so ignorant that she had not seen how her actions could hurt her?

Of course, the theory appeared to make sense. Her sweet Lia could never intend to rupture their relationship, she was not evil. She never had been. Her absent mind had simply distracted her from her priorities! That would be a logical conclusion.

Still, she had to confirm or negate her suspicions before continuing. “Did you never receive my messages, Lia? I have not spoken to you for months.” She paused, unsure whether or not to continue because of the woman’s peculiar behavior, aside from Azucena’s own personal insecurity in regard to vulnerability. “…I had believed you to abandon me.” She spoke somberly, her disillusionment only growing as she processed that Aurelia might simply have not cared to maintain her. Another person to whom she did not matter.

She did not bother to complain of Harrison, nor the most recent winter months. She had not yet even realized her own flaws, and her fault in deciding her friend’s absence was an act of betrayal, deciding that their bond had been snipped clean.

Instead, she instinctively continued to listen to Lia’s speech. From where had her sudden insecurity arisen? She attempted to withhold an emotional reaction, however her sentiments conquered her. “I am not aware of the reason for these foreign disapprovals, but I am sure they are similar to mine. I have been overcome by confusion, but at my core, I know we are far too enduring to lose our friendship. You would never purposefully deceive me.” She choked on the words, as her stomach sent them up fully convinced they were true, but her throat clogged as her mind denied it. She could only hope this bit of sensibility would lead to a change for the better, and not a change she would regret.

@benitz786

3 Likes

New Day

Date: November 2nd, 1811

Following hours of dancing and first meetings, the Queen’s ball came to a close. Each of the lovely young ladies made their first impressions, and only time will tell if those first impressions will be enough.

Now as the work of the season truly begins. It is time for the gentlemen looking for their bride, to put their best foot forward, to make themselves stand out among other suitors, and for the ladies to wait and hope for suitors to come calling.

Alright everybody, this will be a free day. No planned events, just the men calling on the lady/ladies they’re interested in pursuing. This will essentially be a free for all, just like any normal rp day. Not semi-structured like the ball. But please use This Doc to keep track of which ladies the men intend to visit. That way people can plan out what interactions they need to have, and figure out which interactions to discuss ahead of time or skip/misc if there isn’t time.

@TheBridgertonRP

9 Likes

╰┈➤ ◈━◈━◈━◈━◈𓆩♡𓆪◈━◈━◈━◈━◈𓆩♡𓆪◈━◈━◈━◈━◈◈━◈━◈━◈━◈𓆩♡𓆪

closer to you

While dancing with Adeline, Harrison was simply mesmerized. Indeed, one could say that Harrison was always mesmerized with beauty- with art, thus what will be so special of Harrison being mesmerized with Adeline? She was beautiful after all, a beauty that was hard to be missed, but yet there was still something special about what Harrison felt dancing with Lady Adeline. Harrison had never truly thought of Adeline as someone he would court, she was filled with beauty- yes, but Harrison had never truly seen her in that way, at least most of the time. Perhaps he had never truly been romantically inclined to her due to his motivations being in another direction- travelling. Harrison was more interested in travelling than other things during that era of his life , he never really got the time to look into someone and think- yes, this is the person I shall wish to spend the rest of my life with. Even when he had first courted someone in the many years since he debuted, and he became engaged to the lady- it was not because Harrison had first gazed at her and thought- yes, he was truly in love. It was more that he was pushed to her by his mother and deep into Lady Azucena’s eyes he had saw potential that made his heart flutter. How truly Harrison loved someone with passion, when he was young- that was what he was obsessed with. Passion and the young him had thought that Lady Azucena held in her body all the passion in the world and that is why when his mother had tried to get them engaged, Harrison had agreed and that was why it saddened him so much that she had not used her full potention, but this season- it seems, something has changed about lady Azucena.

But aah, this was not about Lady Azucena was it? at least not now No, it was about the lady he was first visiting today, the diamond, the girl he had danced last, the lady whom he had tucked a strand of hair behind her ear to whisper to her, the lady his lips had once made contact with her’s, some years ago and he had left before she could say a word about it. Adeline Grace Delaney, truly the diamond of the season and Harrison’s favorite diamond of all the seasons- after all, she was the first diamond he danced with and was going to her house as a caller. This was the second time he had ever gone to anybody’s house as a caller, and Harrison was no-not nervous, it was Harrison after all but he felt a lot of things at that moment. He was in the state of pondering- and Harrison was not much of a thinker in the sense that he lived life with the rule that one only lives once and Harrison was competing with the universe to make life as chaotic and scandalous as he could. The point was, Harrison was pondering more than usual today, he had made a mental note to himself of all the ladies he shall visit today because indeed this year he wished for a wife, he wished for love and Harrison has always been obsessed with the idea of love. He could die for love yes and believes that he could live for love. He wanted to share the sun, the stars and the moon with his lover, he wanted to explore the world with love.

He had always imagined it like this- he would marry someone who will bring him to his knees. He will marry someone who shall drown him in love, she would be his and Harrison shall be her’s , and it will be the most passionate of love stories- Shakespeare himself could not have written the love he and his future wife shall feel for each other. All those other seasons, it was true indeed that Harrison chose not to pursue anyone giving the fact he was busy with his travels and he was not ready for settling down, but it was also true that Harrison did not wish to court anyone because he could not see himself with any of them as husband and wife, but this season- oh did this season change a lot. So many beautiful and interesting ladies, so many people that make his heart flutter, and Lady Adeline was in the top of many of them. She was so beautiful- Harrison had noticed her beauty before but how had he noticed it this much till now? Why were he lashes so long? And her eyes a gorgeous shade of brown? Is it not a sin, for a lady to be this beautiful? Dancing with her yesterday, at first was simple- he teased her like he always does, just to mae her angry- just to see the beautiful expression of anger upon the face of Lady Adeline whom he knew was not incline to anger. He liked to see her annoyed, it made the goddess so human. it humanized her and made her seem so imperfect and Harrison loved imperfections. It made her raw to him, exposed and it made it seem like Harrison truly knew her because she showed him more emotions than happiness or friendliness. He liked when she would tell him how much he displeased her and Harrison would laugh and tease her, come close to her, whisper something into her ear and then flicker her forehead and she would yell after him and he would laugh. He wore one of his beat outfits for the special occasion today, his mother and sisters dancing to themselves that Harrison had finally decided to find a wife and go to ladies houses to call on them instead of busying himself with work or other things. His mother had all but forgotten his attitude yesterday and the scandals he had caused with the con artist due to this. He arrived at her house, he made sure to go as early as he could because as a diamond he knew that Adeline shall have many men knocking on her door and when he arrived, a servant had let him in and Harrison now stood in front of the diamond of the season and what could he say but that she looked amazing?

“Lady Adeline, you know it’s not been so long since women were accused of witchcraft and burnt, is it too crude to say that you will perhaps be burned. After all what is it if not magic that makes you look even more beautiful than the the day when we had danced in the ball, when that day was not so long ago- it was just yesterday and yet you look a princess of the heavens that the gods had sent down here to bewitch me,” Harrison said, “And the gods have been right to send you for that task, because I am indeed bewitched,” Harrison lips curved into a small smile as he took her hand into his. “Are you surprise me? As I told you yesterday, princess of the heavens, I shall see you later and what is today if not later? I am early yes, but my eyes could not wait to see yours any longer, Adeline. I missed you dearly and I know you missed me too though it will not leave your lips,” Harrison teased, tucking a strand of hair behind Adeline’s ears as he stared at her. His eyes going from her eyes- her oh so mesmerizing eyes to her plump lips that Harrison had to opportunity of kissing and back to her eyes, his lips a foxy smile. “Oh!” Harrison said remembering something, “I am such a foolish man am I not, I had almost forgotten I have a gift for you,” He reached into his pocket and brought out a locket shaped in the form of a heart. He opened it to show it to her and what was inside was a painting he had painted himself- a painting of her playing the violin, where she looked at peace with herself. She was relaxed, very relaxed and Harrison understood why people had labeled her an angel. It was not because she was nice or beautiful, but it was because she was truly an angel.

Now, Harrison did not like painting people much- or at least people he was not that close with. He was specific when it came to painting people and that is why when anyone he was not so closed with asked for him to paint them, Harrison would raise a brow and at that and ignore them, because Harrison only paints the things he is fascinated about- the things and people he cares for. And this painting that he had giving to Lady Adeline in the form of a locket was first painted when Harrison was the age of 21, and he had come to ride the horses with Atlas while Adeline was playing the violin. He had excused himself from the horses to watch her play from the trees, because the melody called to him- it was incredibly beautiful and Harrison as drawn to all things beautiful. He had listened to he melody of the violin and he didn’t know how or when he had grabbed a small paper and quill and began to sketch her, and he had kept it with him but today he was giving it back to her.

“Can I?” He asked directing to her neck, asking if he could help her to wear the locket.

@sunflowerjm - Adeline

mentioned:

@raviola - azu
@benitz786 - Lia if you squint

4 Likes

Leaving home moment with Maisie, first in line to call on Adeline Delaney

Baylor had a good night, but woke up with a headache, slightly later than what he would have wanted. He was planning to rush to Adeline in the morning, and be the first one there and nice and efficiently go on with his day after. He believed Adeline would get many callers, so it would be in his best interest to be there early. Quite honestly, the thought of seeing Adeline made him quite excited, but nervous at the same time. She was a beautiful lady filled with grace, and what Baylor could tell from their dance, she had a pure heart. Something that truly intrigued him about her. He was not sure whether he could do it, whether he could give her what he thought she deserved. However, as he had promised Adeline, he was going to stick to his word.

As he prepared himself, he took a deep breath. He was still not sure whether he was making the right choice by following his heart, but he knew he needed to do this. He gave himself a bit of a pep-talk as he was combing his hair to perfection, and put on the suit he had picked out, one that was a touch more colourful and in line with his personal taste more. He took one more deep breath, and decided it was time for him to leave.

He was not about to leave however without saying goodbye to his sister, with some advice. “Dear Maisie, as you prepare to receive your callers, remember that first impressions are vital. Be polite and attentive, showing a genuine interest in his conversation. It’s essential to get to know him better, so don’t be afraid to ask questions about his interests, background, and values.” His tone was gentle, his eyes encouraging Maisie to be inquisitive. “This will help you gauge whether you share common ground.”

He then leaned back, his body language confident and relaxed, projecting a sense of trust. “Furthermore, remember that you are under no obligation to commit to anything during these callings. Take your time to understand his character and intentions. Trust your instincts – if something feels off, trust yourself to make the right decision.” He gave her a brief encouraging nod to be critical. “Maintain your composure and poise throughout the visit,” Baylor said, standing a little straighter to model the desired demeanor. He looked directly into Maisie’s eyes, his stance conveying the importance, “as it reflects well on our family. Always act within the boundaries of propriety and decorum,” he clasped his hands, indicating the need for proper behavior, and then raised a finger, emphasizing the point, “and do not feel pressured to make any hasty commitments. You have every right to take your time and evaluate the gentlemen’s suitability.”

"Finally," Baylor said, leaning in slightly once more, a concerned expression on his face as he searched her eyes, “consult with me or your chaperone for the day if you have any questions or concerns about your callers or the courting process.” His facial expressions softened, “We’re here to support you, and we’ll help you make informed decisions.” His arms encircled her in a protective, brotherly hug, something he did not do too often but felt right for this moment, today was a big day for both of them. As they hugged, he said, “I wish you all the best in your meetings, dear sister, and I hope you shall find enjoyment in the process.” He gave her a warm smile as he left. It was not easy for Baylor to leave his sister behind like this. It felt like yesterday Maisie was still a baby, and now she was about to go get callers for herself, maybe even marry this season. And as Baylor was busy with his own process of calling, he could not even keep an eye out to protect his sister. He really needed to just have faith in her to judge the gentlemen well.

He then went to the stables and got a horse ready to go. He decided a horse ride to the Delaney estate was a good way for him to clear his head before starting on the callings. The rustic charm of the stables, with its aged wooden beams and the comforting aroma of hay, always provided a brief escape from the bustling formalities of high society. As he prepared his horse, he took solace in the gentle nuzzles of the familiar animal, finding a sense of grounding in the rhythmic sounds of the horse’s hooves against the clay flooring of the stables. It was not too long of a ride to the estate, and the nice morning breeze was enjoyable, it was a nice temperature for the time of the year.

Once he arrived at the estate, he noticed he had not been the first one there, Lord Harrison Davis had beaten him to call on Adeline. He noticed them already talking when he arrived. He could not help but feel a touch of frustration seeing them talk. A sense of regret almost coming here, out of everyone Harrison had to be the one to beat him there. The gentleman who had stolen many a hearts over the years, and he would surely try to win Adeline’s. Harrison could more than offer her something Baylor did not possess, a capability to fall in love easily. He felt a pang of jealousy, a tightness in his chest, something Baylor never had felt before with a lady. He was not quite sure if he enjoyed the emotions and conflict he was experiencing. There was no point however in turning back now, he still had made the promise to Adeline to show up for her, and being second in line to call on the diamond, it did not seem like too much of a waste of time for Baylor.

@Littlefeets - Maisie
@sunflowerjm - Adeline (mentioned)
@Kristi - Harrison (mentioned)

3 Likes

Edgar had a bit of a hangover the next day. He knew he shouldn’t have drank so much the day prior. Unfortunately, it was too late for that. He rose an hour later than intended, due to the slight hangover he had. Luckily, drinking a cup of coffee negated the hangover, and he was back to normal. Regarding the dances of the night prior, he’d decided to call on the lovely Albina Northwick. He had decided to bring some medical pamphlets he hoped she’d find interesting. Getting a quick breakfast, Edgar prepared to leave. He’d decided to take the carriage, as it would be rather tricky to steer a horse while carrying pamphlets. He called upon the family’s carriage driver, and the two set off, several medical pamphlets held securely in Edgar’s arms. Once the carriage arrived at the Northwick estate, he climbed out of the carriage, going to knock on the door. After knocking, he waited for the door to be answered.
@Jass - Albina
Sorry it’s short.

3 Likes

Calling with Edgar Füller

After going through a similar beauty routine, Albina had felt more freedom to dress in a matter she enjoyed. An soft pink empire waist dress with puffy sleeves, and a corset decorated with flowers was her pick for the day. She liked herself better in this dress, opposed to the green one she had been wearing yesterday. She was still breaking her fast as she heard the first knock on the door of what she supposed was a gentleman calling on her. She was curious who it was. Quickly, as her mother went to open the door, she finished her crumpet, last thing she wanted was to still be eating at her first calling of the day. As she finished, she had a quick peak in the mirror to see whether she looked presentable, which she believed she did after readjusting her hair slightly.

As she stood in front of the mirror, she could hear bits and pieces of the conversation at the door, and recognised the voice of Edgar. She paid a bit more attention to what what said, initially all she picked up on was a tension between them. Listening even more carefully, she could heard her mother say Edgar would not be able to call on Albina. Albina sighed, here we go again.

Albina swiftly approached the entrance and, with determination in her voice, she intervened. “Mother, I am quite prepared to receive Lord Edgar Füller,” she asserts, her eyes meeting her mother’s. “He has proven himself to be a man of character and integrity to me. Please allow him in.”

As she intervened in the conversation, there was a moment of silence, and her mother’s stern expression met her determined gaze. A silent battle between mother and daughter. Albina knew she was treading on delicate ground, but she was resolute in her decision. She expressed her trust in Edgar’s character, emphasizing her view of him as a man of integrity. Her words were a testament to her growing affection for him, something she was not ready to let go of. She enjoyed his company, and nothing changed her mind on that easily. Her mother realised Albina was not going to budge so gave in by stepping aside, resulting in a sly grin from Albina.

She then directed her attention to Edgar, “Please, Lord Edgar, do come in. How thoughtful of you to bring some medical pamphlets,” she said giving him an apologetic smile for how her mother had treated him. They walked into the sitting room, followed by her mother who was far from pleased with the situation. As they had seated themselves, Albina spoke again, “Please disregard any prior misunderstandings. You’re most welcome here, and I’ve been eagerly looking forward to your visit following our dance at last night’s extravaganza.” this resulted in her her mother’s nostrils flaring up and a curl of the lips, clearly her mother was nearing an explosion of anger, something Albina chose to ignore. They had fought about this after returning to the estate the previous evening, her mother had not been pleased with her decision to dance with Edgar. However, Albina felt strong in it being her decision, and right now, she wanted to focus her attention on Edgar, “Now, tell me about these intriguing medical pamphlets you’ve brought. I’m quite curious to explore your interests.” She gave him a reassuring smile as she said that, feeling excited to actually learn something from him and the pamphlets.

3 Likes

Edgar did not have to wait long for the door to be opened. About a minute after he’d knocked, Albina’s mother opened the door. Oh dear…he truly wished it was Albina instead. Not that he didn’t like Mrs. Northwick, he actually quite liked her. No, that wasn’t the problem. The problem was that she didn’t like him. He wasn’t sure why. He had never done anything to anger her that he knew of. Edgar suddenly wished he hadn’t drunk that cup of coffee earlier, as his fight or flight response was heightened. Swallowing, he met the woman’s eyes. He wasn’t sure why he was afraid of a woman smaller than him, but she scared him. Under the glare of the older woman, Edgar felt about six centimeters tall, instead of his height of over six feet. Hearing quickly approaching footsteps, Edgar relaxed as Albina entered, thus rescuing Edgar from the barrage of words. A silent battle between mother and daughter began as the two stared at each other. All Edgar could do was watch. He supposed he could have spoken up, but it wasn’t his house, so he stayed quiet. After a minute, the woman stepped aside, allowing Edgar to enter. He bowed, smiling gratefully. ”Thank you, Lady Northwick.” Albina then spoke to Edgar, and he handed the medical pamphlets to her. ”Remembering yesterday’s conversation, I believed you would enjoy reading these.” The three, as Albina’s mother had followed them, had settled in the sitting room, and her mother was looking like she would very much like it if he dropped dead right then and there. Albina had said he was welcome in their home, and her mother quite looked like she was ready to combust. That certainly was not good. While he had called on several women in the past, he had never received this level of hostility from the mothers of the girls. At the question about the pamphlets, he began to relax. ”The pamphlets detail several different surgical procedures, including trepanation, the very first surgery, preformed around 6500 B.C.”
@Jass - Albina

4 Likes

BainbridgeBrantley-min

Jolly Holiday

Both Bainbridge and Abigail were too exhausted after the return from the ball not to fall asleep as soon as they had a chance to do so. They both needed enough rest for what was about to come tomorrow. At the first sight of red in the sky, Bainbridge was up, deciding what to wear. He already put on his white shirt and buttoned it up, but he didn’t know what to add to it. On his bed were 2 sets of pants and 2 coats. One outfit he rather liked had a beige printed vest, white trousers and a purple coat, while the other outfit laid on the other side of his bed consisted of light mustard trousers, with a beige vest and a grey coat which worked rather well. He opted for the grey suit since he wasn’t dressing up for anybody who could see it or anybody he was trying to impress today. There was Bridget, who he intended to see, then Joane, but he didn’t know her well enough to dress in order to impress her yet, then there were visits to his friends Louisa, Dorothea and Lydia. On his endtable was a rose, which smelled rather nicely, which he planned to pin on his suit. He was about to grab it when Abigail enterd into his bedroom and withouth warning spritzed some perfume on him.
“ABIGAIL!? What in God’s name?” He asked, confused, perplexed and just about any word used for describing confusion could be used for his facial expression at that moment.
“You will thank me, brother.” She said, chuckling. “Aunt has told me you would visit Bridget. If you are, brother, let me advise you that this lavender perume will make her feel safe. I bathe with a lavander scented soap so she could identify me by my scent, that’s why … Maybe I’m just trying to sway your luck with her, but I think wearing a scent that instantly makes her think of me and my family would help your chances with her.”
“Oh … Well you could have said something. But thank you, I’m glad you wouldn’t mind me pursuing your friends, but I wouldn’t think of it in such terms, I’ve barely begun to think of her … that way.”
“I wouldn’t want to rush you if you’re pursuing one of my friends. If you confess to quickly I shall lose a friend and that is what I don’t want to do, seeing as it’s hard to find such women around.”
“Anyways, shouldn’t you be dressing yourself right about now? Those suitors can come any moment.”
"Oh please brother, who would visit me? No, I have nobody to dress up for, but you do, so I shall leave you to prepare yourself for your plentiful visits. She leaves.

Following his sister’s advice, Bainbridge looks at the flower he was going to wear on his collar and decides not to put it on. Instead he goes into the garden and picks up some lavander, which he puts on his collar as an ornament. Bridget might not be able to see it, but the color of the lavander broach goes well with the grey in the suit and it does smell nice. He takes his present for Bridget, wraps it up nicely, and ventures towards the carriage which would take him to her estate. A mere half hour later he was in fron of her doorstep, ready to knock.

@Bluecookies - Bridget

4 Likes

Courtship Stop #1: The Keats Estate

f*ck you, keats

Orpheus felt the sting of each mark on his body, the heavy cloud of a bright, hungover morning creating a throbbing sensation in his head. He had not slept all night, a continued ache in his body, and a swirling reminder of each interaction of the night before taunting him, pulling him from sleep with each painful recollection. He had barely pulled himself from the floor of his bedchamber as the sun rose, avoiding Corin and his morning meal in order to begin his rounds.

His father had demanded Orpheus form a strict route for the day, apologizing to all of the people he had embarrassed himself in front of during the previous night. Not simply embarrassing himself, no, embarrassing the Langston family.

Ezra Langston had demanded so strongly, in fact, that it left a purplish hue to Orpheus’ skin along his neck, his wrists, and his stomach.

Each movement forced a cringe from Orpheus’ features, a painful reminder of his extended welcome home the previous night. The agonizing mix of a hungover mind and a weakened body left him stumbling at times, grasping for the sense of composure he often held on days like this one.

The first house on his list was his father’s top priority, the one he would apologize to with clearest intent, on his knees if needed: Ilyas Keats. The Keats family were a well-respected, highly-titled, family, one that Duke Langston did not want to anger by continuing a petty feud between their sons. Orpheus was to make amends with Ilyas by any means necessary, a request that made his stomach turn more than the alcohol had.

Orpheus approached the Keats’ door, Jerald, his butler, hesitant to speak to the doormen that stood nearby as he kept a watchful eye on Orpheus’ downcast expression.

“I am here to speak to Ily-Lord Ilyas Keats…please…” Orpheus’ words were barely a breath, faint and forced. His eyes remained fixed on the ground, unwilling to meet Ilyas in this state.

In truth, he knew Ilyas likely deserved an apology of sorts. The past few days, no, their entire lives, had been nothing short of petty fights between the two. However, Orpheus was far too stubborn, and currently, far too battered, to admit it.

To him, Ilyas had been, and would always continue to be, the very origin of everything wrong in his life and everything that pained him the very most. Even the bruises that littered his body now, despite who actually painted their violent creation across his skin, would not be there had it not been for Ilyas. Despite the pain, he would have taken the hits ten times over if it meant not having to stand before Ilyas now. Orpheus had thought the beating preferable to stumbling outside of Ilyas’ door at the dawn of calling day in a half-distressed shamble.

Calling day was important, and Orpheus had ensured that his clothes had been pressed to perfection, his hair perfectly swept, even his cheeks flushed from morning sunlight, yet there was an emptiness that betrayed his perfect form.

The Langston family had long held the colors of gold and white, yet Orpheus felt more like fools gold, polished on the outside, mimicking the look of gold, of a handsome Langston heir, yet filled with the pain and secrets of his past and present curling and clawing at his coat collar underneath, threatening to expose the truth of his life. Orpheus subconsciously pulled at his sleeves, attempting to shield the markings of his punishment from the Keats estate. The very last thing he needed was for Ilyas to think he was weak, broken.

To battle all that had been unleashed upon him, to handle the weight of the pressure and pain that surrounded him, to cope, he hated. He hated Ilyas with everything he had, because if he could not hate Ilyas, if that part of his life were not stable, he would be lost. It had been the only remaining piece of his past and present that tethered him to his own mind, knowing that hatred and anger still simmered, it kept him whole.

In Orpheus’ story, in his own mind, Ilyas had been, and would always be, the villain.

mentioned:
Ilyas (@Madilnel)

5 Likes

After the previous ball, Nikhil had struggled to find maidens to dance with, only really having the opportunity to dance with Lady Dorothea. Admittedly, he had gone to his bed chambers smiling, and thought of her as his chest rose and sank him into slumber, at least in the five minutes it usually takes for him to sleep. He had not heard of her until they first met, and he was astonished by her charms.

Although he was not so carefree in admitting to this as his sister, Nikhil too fell very easily. Of course, he was different back home, when his pretendents were the daughters of his father’s merchant rivals, or his sister’s friends. Here, however, he was liberated from his duty, and allowed to feel what his dignity did not allow him to. Furthermore, the women of this continent all looked so unfamiliar, as though he had traveled to another planet, of beautiful winter fairies as fair as the european snow, their eyes icy like their waters.

So, today, when he was asked to call on ladies he believed to suit him well, his first thought was obviously Dorothea. She was polite, charismatic, gentle, and so gorgeous. However, he would not allow his emotions to dominate him. Before settling into the comfort of her bosom, he was also due to prioritize interactions with the ladies he had previously set his eyes on, in order to find the ideal partner, not simply the first one to appear.

Who were these ladies? You may ask.

Obviously, Maisie was currently speaking to Baylor. As two well mannered siblings should, they briefed the events of the previous night and this day most likely. (As superior siblings, of course, Nikhil and Priti had already discussed last nights events briefly before bed, although he may need to revisit that to reason with his younger sister.) Regardless, the pairs of brothers and sisters were all sharing a home at that time, and Nikhil had always found the girl quite endearing. She was fairly young, and carried an innocence that moved his heart, and more so his gut to protect her as he did many of the closest women in his life.

Louisa Brantley had a silly charm about her as well. She seemed as though she would make him laugh without trying to trump him as a comedian, which obviously he would be the comedian in the relationship. (Nikhil is the only person who finds himself funny, but we move.) She had an endearing smile, and he would love to conjure it. Unfortunately, he was also attracted to her cousin, Abigail. Abigail seemed fairly simple, he liked her conventionality, and he also wished to have had more time with her at the previous ball.

Then, there was Belle. He had been attempting to pursue her various times since he arrived in England; throwing his coat over puddles for her to walk, opening doors, and each time she thanked him but never did her cheeks seem to rose. It was horribly frustrating, yet wonderfully intriguing each time. He just had to give it one last chance. One more and he could give up on her presumably soft locks of hair, bookish intrigue, and respectable demeanor.

He walked to her estate, waiting to call on the girl. He knocked on the door, and waited politely before he greeted her home staff, and followed to the indicated room for him to speak with her. She looked as gorgeous as ever, and most likely had just finished studying English knowledge he was dying to learn. It was mesmerizing, and he just had to speak with her. “Lady Belle.” He resisted the urge to scratch the back of his neck from the nerves. They met again.

@kristi

mentioned:
@CerealKiller dorothea
@Ouijaloveletters louisa
@LunaticLeviTheSecond abigail
@Littlefeets maisie
@Caticorn priti

6 Likes

Albina, noticing the tension in the room, decided to ease the atmosphere with her warm and welcoming demeanor. She turned her attention to Edgar, offering a gracious smile. “Lord Edgar, I am most excited to read the pamphlets,” she responded, focusing on the topic he had brought up. Her tone was friendly and engaging, meant to create a more comfortable setting despite her mother’s obvious disapproval. Albina wanted to encourage him to share more about the subject and take the focus off her mother’s hostility.

“So, you mentioned trepanation, the first surgical procedure performed in ancient times. How intriguing! Tell me more about it. I’d love to hear your insights and thoughts on the subject. Perhaps you’ll regale me with tales of bygone surgeons and their rather adventurous techniques?” Her genuine curiosity was accompanied by a playful, teasing undertone, hoping to infuse some lightness into the conversation. She quickly scanned through the pamphlets he had handed her.

Albina, still wearing a playful smile, turned her attention back to Edgar, her curiosity apparent in her eyes. “Lord Edgar, I appreciate your thoughtfulness in bringing these pamphlets, but I can’t help but wonder what prompted you to visit me today during the callings. Are there any particular intentions behind your visit, or are you here simply to discuss surgical procedures?” She raised a playful yet suggestive eyebrow, her tone light but her question more direct.

They had know each other for some time, and had been getting along surprising well, but Albina wondered whether this was something that could turn into more than a friendship, or not? Part of her needed to know, Albina did not like living with what ifs, and she believed Edgar would not be talking about these more serious topics, about what the situation between them was, without some encouragement from her. She herself had not yet really caught feelings for him, but she could notice some qualities in him that she enjoyed, so it was not unrealistic that it might still develop with time. On the other hand however, Albina wanted a passionate love. Something she was questioning whether Edgar could give her. He would be a safe choice, and Albina could imagine them living a comfortable and life together, but Albina wasn’t sure if she wanted to go with safe.

She was so focused on Edgar as she asked the direct question and pondered their connection, that she had not noticed her mother storming off angry, and her brother entering the room seconds later. Once she did notice, she felt grateful that he came here to make sure everything was okay. Her brother was a much better chaperone than her mother, and she enjoyed being able to speak even more freely with Edgar now. She knew her brother was just gonna sit there, not care about what was said. She gave her brother a quick smile and nod in appreciation, and then refocused on Edgar, anticipating his reply.

3 Likes

Edgar smiled at Albina, letting himself relax slightly. He couldn’t relax completely though. Albina’s mother was practically breathing down his neck, and it was rather distressing. His skin was almost prickling. She asked about trepanation, and he nodded. He wasn’t entirely sure if he should mention it with Albina’s mother in the room. ”Lady Albina, regarding trepanation, it is a rather gory process, that should not be spoken about in polite company. I believe that you should simply read it. I do not wish to make anyone uncomfortable.” He explained, gesturing to the pamphlets. Albina then asked if he had any other intentions regarding calling on her. This caused a blush to spread across his face. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Albina’s mother leaving in a huff, and her brother entered. This meant there was a huge weight off his shoulders. He cleared his throat. ”I suppose it happens to be both speaking of medical procedures, but also calling on you, as I had wished to see you after our lovely dance yesterday. It was very enjoyable.”
@Jass - Albina

3 Likes

Beige Vintage Traveler Twitter Header

Today was such a happy day for Duchess Fleur- not for Belle, but for her mother. After all mother dearest has been waiting for this day for all of the daughters- the calling which Belle had no wish for. Belle had tried to leave the manor, but it seems that her mother already knew she might tried that and increased security. How sad when Belle had planned to steal one of her brother’s clothing and not come back till the day had ended, but it seems with a mother like Duchess Margot, such a thing is not possible.

As soon as the sun had risen, her mother had instructed the maids to take care of her-dress her up in the family color, lilac with lowers going down dress. It was a lovely gown, made from the softest silk and most expensive fabric- Belle had designed the dress herself and her father had gotten it tailored for her. Belle pitied the dress, being wasted on such a day like today, because the calling was quite useless after all; Belle was not to marry. The maids had adorned her neck in a jewelry that her mother had bought from France before she arrived in England last night- Belle wished she could say that she was shocked at the fact that her mother still woke up early and was quite energized even after just arriving last night- but she was not. After all, this was a special moment for mother.

Belle sighed as she sat down on a chair in the sitting room, awaiting callers that she hoped did not come. When her mother had left the living room, going to do what God knows what, Belle pulled out a book to read, titled, Science and why it is needed, an informative book that gave a lot of details on different innovations and how they were built and the importance of them. Belle hummed to herself, her fingers grazing the book, she had a strong desire to build something, a scientific invention that would help the world and especially her but where shall she start from? Where shall she end from? Maybe, something that makes the creation of outfits easier? Or something for writers? Or

Belle’s ears twitched as she heard the voice of her home staff and her mother talking- and the voice of someone else who she could quite put a face to. How great, a caller had come. She thought to herself as her eyes were rolled- maybe if she pretends to not be able to speak or glare at the person throughout the conversation, it will be a short on and he shall live. She put her book down, hiding inside the pillow,as her mother came, wearing a gorgeous dark purple gown that was indeed mesmerizing- fitting for a duchess, especially a duchess who was a Fleur. Her mother had muttered something to her and Belle internally scoffed, as her mother left, the man entered.

“Lady Belle,”

At the name- Belle wondered if she should correct him, At the name- Belle wondered if she should correct him, it was not proper after all- to use her Christian name even if it was said formally, and it was obvious that he was not of european descent to know that, and correcting him will be doing him a favor, no? it will do him a favor so he will not make a fool of himself in front of the not very tender British high society. French high society was also not quite tender but it was better than England she would say- but then again is she not just saying this because unlike many people due to her status and her family’s relations with the royal family of France, Belle could do a lot of things that would have been reputation ruining for a lot of families?

“Lady Fleur,” She corrected, pursuing her lips as she gazed at him through her typical analytical lenses. She had seen before- she was quite sure of that-but when? From the look of his first- it told her that after all, that he knew her but who was he? Oh! Was he from the Mehta family? The one she had found out yesterday, that was staying with Lady Maisie and her brother. Belle had already told Lord Baylor to extend her invitation of a little talk to Lady Maisie and include Ms. Mehta in it, but perhaps it will be more appropriate to tell her brother to do so. “I sent an invitation for your sister… did she received it?” Belle asked all so innocently. She knew that she said that she would either not talk during the call or glare at him, but finding out he was part of the Mehta family who Belle was currently intrigued by, made her think otherwise.

She had heard about them before the queen’s ball, but it was always little things about them and she had never seen them, them being from the continent of Asia after all. Thus, it was no surprise Belle wanted to sastify her cuirosity of them- and you would think, Belle would know better than to fall into her curiosity again but it seems that curiosity is the hardest emotion to get rid of. “Mr.Mehta… are you not going to sit?” She asked as he noted he was still standing and staring at her, making her raise a brow.

@raviola

4 Likes

She reacted with a slight pout and a teasing tone, “Oh, what a shame, I was hoping for some thrilling, gory details to start my day. But I suppose I can settle for a more refined conversation.” she gave him a playful wink, followed by a genuine laugh. “Thank you for being considerate of our delicate sensibilities.” she then spoke more seriously. Albina couldn’t help but feel a sense of delight in their conversation. His consideration the comfort of those present was admirable, and she appreciated his thoughtfulness. Albina gracefully placed the pamphlets on the table, “I shall indulge in the pamphlets’ contents later.”

Maintaining her playful and challenging tone, Albina responded, “Lord Edgar, you certainly know how to keep a lady’s interest piqued,” Albina responded with a teasing smile and a playful glint in her eyes. “I, too, found our dance quite delightful, and I’ve enjoyed our conversations.” She maintained her cheerful tone before getting a bit more serious. “But, pray tell, what qualities do you seek in a potential partner? How would you envision a courtship with someone like me?” Her gaze was steady as she looked into his eyes, genuinely curious about his thoughts on the matter. “And, Lord Edgar, what values or shared beliefs do you believe are vital for a couple to establish a strong and lasting connection?”

Her questions flowed naturally, giving him the opportunity to express his views, and she was genuinely interested in his responses. She knew she probably bombed him with questions, but as there was uncertainty in her mind if they could ever work as more than just friends, she needed honest answers from him on these matters. It was not something they had ever discussed before, romance or love. Sure, Albina loved to teasingly and jokingly flirt with Edgar a lot, but in a way it overwhelmed her to think of a courtship between them. But this was exactly what callings were for, see if there is potential for something to evolve in a courtship.

Albina’s playful side surfaced once again as she decided to add a dash of humor to their conversation. With a mischievous glint in her eyes, she teasingly remarked, “Enough of these serious questions of courtship. Let’s imagine for a moment… if we were to embark on an adventure together, what kind of escapade would you choose, Lord Edgar? A daring treasure hunt, a mysterious journey into the unknown, or perhaps a romantic, moonlit stroll through an enchanted forest, or something else altogether?” She raised an eyebrow, awaiting his response with an air of playful anticipation. This question was not only more fun, but still would provide her with enough information to get a better idea of how he would be in a courtship.

3 Likes

Edgar smiled coyly. ”As much as I would enjoy regaling you with the gory details, we can save that for another time. I know when to hold my tongue, and now is one of those times.” Albina asked him what qualifies he wanted in a partner, and Edgar paused. ”The most important quality is that they be kind. No matter how beautiful you may look, true beauty can only be found on the inside. That is what I believe. Of course, intelligence is certainly a close second. You cannot believe how glad I was when you requested to read some of my medical pamphlets. I truly appreciate your interest, and hope you enjoy them.” He maintained eye contact with her. Edgar may not have been the most adventurous man, but if a partner wishes for him to come on an adventure, he would most certainly indulge their adventurous streak. She asked about values a couple should share, and he smiled again.”Regarding values, I believe that partners should respect each other. If there is no respect or trust in a relationship, there can be no love. That is not a relationship. Those are my thoughts on the matter, at the very least.” Then, Albina proposed a question to him. Pondering the question given, Edgar spoke. ”If it were my decision, I would most likely choose the stroll, though the treasure hunt and trip to the unknown are certainly piquing my interest. As an avid reader, I cannot resist the lure of the unknown, no matter how much danger there may be. All I ask is that we are careful. The thirst for knowledge is not worth loss of life.”
@Jass - Albina

2 Likes

next day: Delaney’s House

Adeline had woken up before the sun even rose. She paced back and forth around her room as she tried to calm herself down for what was to come today. She had anticipated this day for the longest time, but now that it had arrived, she was not sure if she was ready for the outcome.

It was moments like this that she knew she needed her closest friend, Orpheus. He always knew exactly how to calm her down and just say the right words. He was also the one to make her feel as if she could conquer the world, and in this moment, she wished he was here, but of course, she knew too well that Orpheus would be the first one to go find his favorite lady and court her with a very romantic gesture. Adeline always wondered why she had never fallen in love with him; he was all that she wanted in a man. Sure, she had a secret crush when they were younger, but that was just innocent childhood love, and it never turned into anything else. Was it maybe because she cared so much for him that she could not bear the thought of losing him? Dancing with him last night had made her feel calm and relaxed, giving her the strength to finish off the night.

Yet, her calmness was soon interrupted when her last dance arrived. Adeline was approached by a man who knew how to make her lose control of her emotions. Harrison—Harrison Davis.

The Davis family and the Delaney family were childhood friends, so it was natural that their kids would get along as well. Her older brother, Atlas, and Harrison connected so easily whenever they met, but Adeline and Harrison always seemed to bump heads any chance they were together, and well, some things just never change, or do they? As they grew older and Adeline began to go through puberty, she began to change, not just physically but also in the way she saw Harrison. He was an extremely attractive man, and she could not deny that she felt uneasy in her stomach whenever he was near her. However, she was certain that she detested him after that fateful day when he kissed her without warning. Not only for the way he made her feel, but also for snatching her very first kiss. Adeline had always imagined her first kiss with her true love to be magical, but naturally, the careless Lord Davis did not consider that when he planted a kiss on her during their heated argument in that quiet hallway where they stood together alone. Adeline bit her lip at the thought of their dance last night. He was sweet and charming, but everyone knew Harrison’s reputation. He could swoon every lady that approached him in an instant, which made Adeline know not to believe a word that came out of his mouth.

Adeline’s thoughts were finally interrupted as she heard a faint knock on her door. "Lady Adeline, I know it is early still, but I figured you would like to start getting ready.” She recognized the voice of her most trustworthy lady maid, Thea. Knowing Adeline like the back of her hand and having served as her lady maid for a very long time, Thea knew that today would be the most anxious for Adeline yet. Adeline opened the door slowly as she gave Thea a small smile and nodded.

After finally being ready, Adeline looked at herself one last time and admired her dress. She thanked Thea before she led her to where she was soon to receive the gentlemen trying to court her. Atlas had approached her earlier just to simply wish her luck and to remind her she must be wise of who she were to choose to be her husband, and soon after that he left to whoever he was going to see. She began to wonder who would come and whom she wanted to meet.

Perhaps the prince? No, but why would he? He has various of other beautiful ladies surrounding him already.

Mmmm Edmund? Well, probably not… this may not be easy for him to do again.

Baylor said he would come, but maybe he has changed his mind… did my rude words ruin the chance for him to come today?

She paused a bit, thinking of one final person… but she knew it could not be. They did not dance last night… why would he?

All these thoughts in Adeline’s head, but none could have prepared her for the person who stood in front of her as Thea announced his arrival.

Adeline remained silent as she heard Harrison speak, and with no surprise, he began to speak sweet words to her."I thought another lady would have captured your interest following our dance last night, so I did not anticipate seeing you today, Lord Davis. It surprises me much that you kept your word."She said as she tried to maintain her composure, avoiding showing her now-reddened face as he kissed her hand and tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. He had a smile on his face. Oh, how she hated the way his precious smile made her feel. As Harrison revealed the gift he had brought her, Adeline’s eyes brightened as she saw herself in a small painting in the heart locket.

"It is beautiful, Lord Davis… when did you have time to do this?"At this point, Adeline began to let some of her guard down and gave him a small smile as he offered to help her put the locket on. She turned around and pulled her hair to the side, now revealing her bare neck. “You tend to surprise me with every encounter we have. I must know, though: are you really looking to marry someone? Or better yet, why did you come to me first? Are you really thinking of pursuing your friend’s sister?”

@Kristi harrison

mentioned:

@DandelionKate orpheus (didn’t forget you bestie I swear 🫶🏼)

@Jass baylor (slightly)

5 Likes

lyds

══✿══╡dance 4 with arch╞══✿══

Not only was Archie someone that her mother had pressured her into engaging with, but he was also the brother of the girl she had a strained relationship with, therefore Lydia was unsure of what to expect with this interaction. While she was not one to prejudge people, she was still taken by surprise by Archie’s easy-going attitude. There was minimal talk on marriage prospects, and there was something about him that made her feel at ease. Usually in such social settings, most interactions typically felt transactional, with most men hoping for something more. But her company in this moment appeared to have minimal expectations tied to it, which brought comfort to her.

It seemed Archie had approved of Lydia’s suggestion to bring more ease to the evening, and both of them raised their glasses with a cheer. Obviously with eye contact, for luck. “A dancing virtuoso you say? What a privilege to be in your company,” Lydia replied with a mischievous glint in her eyes and a false sense of surprise in her voice. “It seems I have met my match then, Lord Dancer,” She continued as she bowed in response, with the same playful tone that he presented. “Intimidated? I’ll try my best. Though I must equally warn yourself as I also have a few tricks up my sleeve,” Lydia took his hand in hers, “I expect we will put the rest of the ballroom to shame.”

══✿══╡°˖✧ ✿ ✧˖°╞══✿══

Lydia knew the risk that she had taken. In her act of rebellion during the Queens’ presentation, when she tampered with the orchestra, and even had a drink too many. At the time it seemed like exhilarating, those fleeting moments that acted as a brief escape from her expectations. Though as soon as the Ellis family returned to their estate, Lydia felt the weight of her decisions. The moment they were behind closed doors, Lydia taken by her mother and rushed towards her room.

“Lydia what in the world were you thinking? Embarrassing the family name before the Queen, causing quite the scandal all evening,” Her mother firmly told her as they were briskly walking across the house. While usually she would be responding back in her own defence, but the combination of alcohol and their hurried pace left Lydia’s head spinning. “You have completely brought disgrace to this family tonight,” She continued before releasing Lydia when reaching her room. “Consider it my mission accomplished,” Lydia responded quietly, but loud enough to be heard. Maybe it was an exaggeration, maybe it was the alcohol talking. It is never her intention to ruin their reputation, though she didn’t let the possibility of such outcomes dictate her actions.

Regardless of what fuelled that statement, it sent fury in her mother’s direction. For a moment, Lydia became scared at the possibility of what her mother was about to do as she raised her hand. But the hand was only to slam the door that was between them, leaving Lydia in the confines of her room, and releasing the breath she had held. After a moment of silence came the sound of a lock clicking, which then led to a failed attempt from Lydia to reopen her door. Then another. And another.

“You can come out when you have learnt to properly behave,” Her mother told her underneath the sound of Lydia banging on the wood of the door. Once it became obvious her mother had walked away, Lydia leaned back against the door, defeated and frustrated.

══✿══╡november 2nd 1811╞══✿══

While Lydia had been hoping her confinement wouldn’t last long, it still came as a surprise when her once locked door burst open with several handmaids flurrying through first thing the next morning. “What on earth brought this on?” Lydia asked with her hands over her eyes as her curtains were swiped open and exposed her to the sunlight. “Lady Ellis’ gave us specific instructions to get you prepared for the day,” She was told as she was rushed up to her feet, their efficiency indicating to her that they had strict instructions.

If it weren’t for the handmaidens involvement, Lydia probably would not have obliged. But she wasn’t going to let those workers get into trouble for not completing a task. Therefore, a little over an hour later, Lydia was dressed and standing outside of her room, awaiting instructions as her mother appeared with a purpose headed towards her. “There is no use keeping you isolated in here all day, when there is a more important matter to attend,” She told her as she indicated for Lydia to follow. Apprehensive, she tailed behind her as she led her to the drawing room.

“What is this?!” Lydia exclaimed as they began to walk alongside a line of men widely ranging in age, directing them towards the drawing room. Entering the drawing room, her mother sat Lydia down on the arm chair that was facing a second one, purposely set up for the occasion she assumed. “How else are we to hasten the marriage process?” She asked Lydia, as if this were the obvious solution. “These are all men that I have found of respectable titles and reputations,” Her mother explained, as those were the only things that mattered when it came to finding a match apparently. “All men born before the 1740s it seems,” Lydia told her, a comment that was briskly ignored. “All men that are happy to become acquainted with the sister of the Diamond. Consider yourself lucky.” With that, Lydia’s mother left her in the drawing room, a small nod to the first man in the line to indicate she was ready.

Left with minimal alternatives, Lydia sat and tolerated the revolving door of men that had been set up for her. Tolerating being a loose term, usually greeting them with “No,” , “Not interested,” , “Please move along,” . With every person, it only reinforced how little her mother’s definition of ‘respectable’ aligned with Lydia’s own values and desires. She was talking to men double her age, with overly traditional views on women and more interested in family connections and financial prospects than herself.

“I’m sure I could make an agreeable wife of you,” One told her when she was several suitors down. Lydia could only assume from the greying hairs that this man was in his 30-40s. “What admirable confidence you have,” She told him disingenuously. That conversation was short-lived.

As if it had really existed in the first place, Lydia’s attention was wearing increasingly thin. That was, until a figure she recognised appeared next in line.

══✿══╡°˖✧ ✿ ✧˖°╞══✿══

@raviola bring him in
@astxrism archie<3
@benitz786 lia mentioned slightly

4 Likes

Albina wasn’t quite sure if she enjoyed how Edgar replied to her jokingly saying she wanted those details in her early morning. He replied quite seriously, and she felt he did not fully understand her sense of humour. This while humour and just having fun joking around was quite important for Albina. If she could not really feel like her sense of humour was understood, she was not sure if she as a person was understood. It worried her slightly.

However, what Edgar said about what he wanted in a partner, the qualities he valued, and his thoughts on respect and trust in a relationship aligned with some of Albina’s own values. It made her pause and reflect. She appreciated his thoughtfulness and the fact that he valued kindness, intelligence, and respect.

But as she read his reply, a certain confusion settled in her thoughts. She found herself questioning how she truly thought of him, and whether there could ever be something beyond friendship between them. The serious tone of his response and her playful nature seemed to be on opposite ends, creating a divide that she wasn’t sure how to bridge. Albina decided to respond, addressing her concerns with a touch of curiosity.

“Lord Edgar, I appreciate your candor in sharing your thoughts on qualities you value in a partner and the importance of respect and trust,” she began, her tone measured. “Our values seem to align on those matters, and I find that quite intriguing.” She offered him a genuine smile to convey her appreciation.

However, she couldn’t help but bring up the contrast in their styles, adding, “I must confess, though, I sensed a certain seriousness in your reply to my inquiries, and playfulness regarding the pamphlets. Please know that my penchant for playful banter and humor is a way I like to express myself. It’s my way of enjoying the lighter moments in life. I hope you won’t find it too overwhelming, Lord Edgar.” She gave him a teasing wink, hoping to lighten the mood and bridge the gap between their personalities.

“As for your choice of adventure,” she continued with a warm tone, “I find your interest in the unknown and your love for knowledge quite appealing. And your concern for safety is most admirable.” Albina couldn’t help but appreciate his cautious nature, even if it contrasted with her own more adventurous spirit. It showed that he was quite a wise gentleman.

There was a brief pause, but then spoke again, “Lord Edgar, you’ve shared a fair bit about your desires in a partner and courtship, but I must say, I’m feeling a tad one-sided here asking questions. You haven’t asked me any questions yet! Is there something specific you’re curious to know about me, or should I keep firing away with my inquiries?” She flashed him a playful smile, playfully teasing him about the lopsided nature of their conversation. While she brought it up in a joking manner, there was a serious undertone in her comment. She wanted him to be equally interested in what she wanted as she was in his desires.

3 Likes

Edgar had nodded, listening to what Albina had to say. ”I should hope our values should align. I believe that all should wish for those values in a partner. I’m rather glad you agree.” Noting her thoughts on their opposing personalities, Edgar calmly nodded. ”I seem not to have realized your jest. Apologies, I have been known not to understand when people joke, which has caused misunderstandings in the past. I truly must do better at reading people. I have always been better at reading books than people. I have been working on understanding when people intend to be humorous, though.” Albina then asked if he had questions for her, and he thought. ”This question is hardly as thought provoking as yours, but pray tell, what is your favorite book at the moment?” He then thought for a moment more, trying to come up with a better question. ”I have thought of a better question, but I apologize that it may be rather morbid, referring to our own mortality. Would you still like for me to pose it to you?”
@Jass - Albina

2 Likes