Discussion: Harry Potter Plot Holes and "Plot Holes"

Genuine question about the stone, though:

This is the timeline of events in Harry Potter with regards to the protection of the stone:

1. Hagrid gets the stone from Gringotts.
  2. “Someone” tried to steal the stone the very same day.
  3. Harry arrives at Hogwarts.
  4. Harry sees Fluffy in the third floor (Chapter 9 - The Midnight Duel).
  5. Quirrell faints at the sight of a troll. (Chapter 10 - Halloween).
  6. Harry finds the Mirror of Erised. (Chapter 12 - The Mirror of Erised).
  7. After the third night of going to the Mirror to see his parents, Harry encounters Dumbledore, who tells him that the mirror will be moved shortly (Chapter 12 - The Mirror of Erised).
  8. Harry, Ron and Hermione find out that Dumbledore is gone and they decide to go down to protect the stone themselves (Chapter 16 - Through the Trap Door)

So… where was the stone between the time that Fluffy was put in and when the mirror was placed in there? Was it just sitting on the floor? Obviously it was already inside the trap door, because otherwise it would make no sense that Quirrell used the troll as a diversion. Did Dumbledore put the mirror in after Halloween because he realised the stone needed extra protection?

3 Likes

Was it a diversion this whole time and the stone was actually in the mirror all along?

2 Likes

Maybe it was and they were setting up the special area while the stone was safe in the mirror :thinking:

2 Likes

Agree, I love Harry Potter J.K Rowling is amazing, but I do not support her opinion on trans rights,

was about to write that too.

anyway in the champer of secret, how do Fred and Geroge drive the car, they are like 14.

2 Likes

Ok ok another one from the first film. The book actually covers this nicely:

Why was Quirrell afraid to touch Harry’s Hand in Diagon Alley? I mean, later on when Harry burns his skin off, he’s like “WHAT IS THIS MAGIC?!”

In the book, Quirrell shakes Harry’s hand in Diagon Alley because Voldemort is the only one who can’t touch him thanks to Lily’s power. Voldemort doesn’t possess Quirrell until AFTER he fails to get the stone from Gringotts.

3 Likes

I think it was made easier to drive because their dad never learnt how to drive Muggle-style either! He decked it out so that he just needed to press the acceleration and steer. Basically, even easier than an automatic (I drive manual). I used to drive cars like that at the fun fair (bumper cars) and Legoland when I was a kid! Like, 8! Even got a Legoland driver’s license and everything!

It’s easier to drive in the air where there are fewer obstacles than on the road with other drivers! needing to watch out for and not make yourself a threat to other drivers is like 90% of what makes driving hard!

3 Likes

Hazard perception, being considerate to other drivers, trying to merge onto the motorway (freeway), remembering what signs mean and who has right of way. Other drunk drivers

2 Likes

this why im scared to drive dead@ss

1 Like

But they’re so hard to drive :sob:

2 Likes

80% if you drive manual because f@£k changing gears and driving too slowly for your current gear. F@%k stalling and hill starts with a manual too. Basically F£%k manuals. They’re only good because they make me feel superior to people who can only drive automatics. Learn manual and then you can drive both. Learn automatic and you can’t drive an old car XD

1 Like

Ok ok another one. Sure, Harry can’t see the Thestrals in book one because, well, he didn’t go to school by Thestral and because he didn’t remember his mum dying. He straight-up killed a dude in the first book, though. Why didn’t he see them after that?!

2 Likes

In the second book he got to Hogwarts by car, in the third book :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:
In the fourth book :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

3 Likes

I guess in the books he doesn’t really see Quirrell die, but he literally committed murder in the film xD

It might also be that it’s much more about experiencing grief after seeing a death… possibly. He was too young to grieve Lily and James and he didn’t give a rat’s a$$ about Quirrell

2 Likes

I’m kinda wondering if it has to be the death of a loved one, I know it says “those who have seen death” but maybe you only see death if you feel grief, maybe seeing death is not only witnessing it happen but feeling a connection to the person who dies.

Yeah I do think it’s a possibility tbh

2 Likes

I only think this because whoever see’s Thestral’s has a story of seeing a loved one pass away

2 Likes

Yeah it’s a super vague phrase because they’re literally in a school with ghosts so they’ve all seen death. Plus, Crouch-Moody literally kills a spider in front of them in book 4 :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

So I guess it’s “see someone human die”. I think Rowling also mentioned somewhere on Pottermore at some point that you also have to understand and come to terms with death, too

3 Likes

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking too like, they can’t expect me to think that in a school filled with insects and other things which are usually killed that nobody saw anybody murder a spoodler :joy:

3 Likes

Unless Hogwarts was all a bunch of bug lovers

3 Likes

With that in mind, can Ron and Hermione see the Thestrals after Sirius dies?

3 Likes