Discussion: How to make Supernatural/Paranormal RPs more original?

How can we make a supernatural RPs more unique and more original?
Let’s start with a few questions to get some ideas flowing and talk about some tips on originality.

1. What are some common supernatural tropes?
  2. When do supernatural tropes become cliches?
  3. What’s the main issue with paranormal/supernatural RPs in your opinion?
  4. What’s one of the good things about a supernatural RPs?
  5. What are some things you want to see more in supernatural RPs?

@RPers

18 Likes

Hii~

1 Like

Hello~

1 Like
  • The whole vampire vs werewolf thing, Or the creation of Frankenstein. If you switch that around it could be a great plot.

• If I see one more vampire love story I’m gonna puke.

• Not a-lot of people are open minded to it, It’s a semi-issue that people only look for cliches because creativity does scare some people off.

• If the plot is done right! And the owner actually puts in great ideas and let’s rpers brainstorm together the rp can actually be great! Supernatural rp’s also hold a place for unpredictability you never know what could go wrong nor right.

• More powerful evil characters, There’s always gonna be a hero noted. But give the villains a chance too!

12 Likes

I honestly don’t have a lot of experience with these kinds of RPs. I was in one once that was set in the late 1890’s. Our characters had supernatural powers, which sounds kind of lame but it was actually a lot of fun.

2 Likes

they get old when theyre used more than once

theres alot of people writing and it all has to make sense together which is EXTREMELY hard

2 Likes

-forbidden lovers bcos of their species

2 Likes

The problem that usually happens: Forbidden lovers because one is a vampire and one is a human.

The problem they should be solving: Why your ancestors hate another species so bad for practically no reason.

It’s a lot like racism, Anger but no good reason behind it. Just to fit in with society.

4 Likes

thats a good plot switcher…

3 Likes
  • Vampire vs. Werewolf, evil witches, angels vs demons, hybrid x vampire/werewolf loves, werewolf packs

• they become cliches when used too often, or when they are repeatedly emphasized. So when a character will continuously mentions the trope. It also becomes cliche if there is not difference between the Hollywood supernatural and the rp one. Versatility within a supernatural type really helps with creating a new story

• the main issue is they can very often be over used or be thrown into another to randomly. They can also be very difficult to come up with a plot line for the rp that is consistent. Along with this roleplayers can sometimes get carried away and god mod, making Mary Sues who can’t get hurt, for example.

• one of the good things I have noticed is that supernatural roleplays give the roleplayers a lot of room and ability to push some boundaries, with character fights, abilities and even some plot ideas they may have which could be too far stretched for a historical rp for example with all humans

• versatility. Not just vampire versus werewolf. Adding different supernaturals together. Having limits for these characters so that people cannot god mode. And in all frank hinestly an actual plot that isn’t just a setting and character age which often seems to happen in these types of rps

3 Likes

Personally I have co- owned a Supernatural roleplay with @Roleplay.lk, which was the hunters. This roleplay in all honestly didn’t have a major plot in the description, though we did manage to have a good long plot for a few of our 15 threads.
However something I noticed was it got boring quickly. After a while people split into their own little plots, no one was consistent and the roleplay died. Along with this no one really rped together later one, rather 1x1s

This is something I notice often with supernatural rps as they are a very hard rp to create a unique plot that can be changed as needed without breaking

3 Likes

What are some common supernatural tropes?
When do supernatural tropes become cliches?

Uh, so Supernatural-themed high school RPs (SIGH) and also werewolf/vampire stories. They’re just so overdone.

What’s the main issue with paranormal/supernatural RPs in your opinion?

I just find that writer are usually only interested in one thing, the powers and/or the romance they try to create within the first RP day.

What’s one of the good things about a supernatural RPs?

It really can be completely open in terms of creativity in writing, no restrictions.

What are some things you want to see more in supernatural RPs?

Different creatures and more of a story.

Closed due to 2 months of inactivity!