Discussion: Worst Romance Tropes

Ew :nauseated_face::rose::two_hearts:

2 Likes

Yep.

2 Likes

I hate the popular guy falling for the nerd because, okay let’s be real, not gonna happen lmao. I feel like it could’ve been done well, but by now it is just so overused and cliched

Also, not a huge fan of those 18/19 year olds falling for like 60/70 year olds. I get that it’s legal as soon as the kid turns 18, but ehhhh still gives me weird vibes with how young they are.

Also hate the girl gets kidnapped falls for her captor (365 dni :face_vomiting:) like dude whattt

4 Likes

I know what you mean! It’s kind of hard to make the trope better anymore. I think if people invest time and effort in making the story correctly it could work.

The only time this type of age gap is okay is when you are writing a supernatural story where the person looks like a normal aged person. I get cringy when I see these types of tropes in normal stories. Grant it, if it’s like a 10-15 year gap okay I won’t say anything but I would prefer the younger one to be over 20 years old.

I hate this trope so much! It just doesn’t make any sense. The only one that is decent is the Beauty and the Beast story. Basically, it better be a fairy tale story instead of a normal story otherwise it comes off gross.

3 Likes

It’s not that I hate this trope or anything, but there’s this trope that is very common in soap operas, and I’m already tired of it. It’s where this rich guy/girl falls in love with poor guy/girl but the parents of the rich guy/girl doesn’t agree with their relationship and does everything to make the poor guy/girl’s life a living hell. And of course, there always has to be an arranged marriage between the rich guy/girl and some other rich person who also happens to be evil and also makes the poor guy/girl’s life miserable. I haven’t seen this trope that much in writing apps such as Episode, but it’s so common in Television and I’m already tired of it.

Ohh, and I also hate badly-written love triangles. I don’t mind having multiple love interests in a story, but I hate it when the love interests’ lives only revolve around the MC. And I also hate it when the two love interests fight for the MC as if that’s the only thing that matters in the world. I rarely see well-written love triangles in a story before. Love triangles are overused, plus it also gets boring over time.

4 Likes
  • Getting intimate way too early in your relationship (within a few days)
  • Falling in love with a sexual harasser
  • Nerd falling for popular dude
  • The LI being a b-tch
3 Likes

I agree with what you posted! I get tired of that trope too. It’s like the nerd and the popular girl/guy trope.

3 Likes

All very good points!

1 Like

I love them alllllllllllll!

2 Likes

Lol nice!

I’m personally super tired of the romances you see in a lot of YA fiction right now, where their interactions are 90% snark and somehow they fall in love just through that. I think this can be okay if the dialogue is written really well, but so much of the “snark” I see is just so corny and fake-edgy that it falls flat.

3 Likes

Agreed, relationships are built on more than snark. I feel like people miss that part each time.

2 Likes

Enemies to frickin lovers THAT needs to die. Theres nothing cute about hating the others guts. Then they always “fall in love” cuz reasons.

1 Like

This.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, if it’s truly written correctly the story will prevail but if you don’t then it falls into these tropes. People need to base their story on concrete ways for the reader to understand what has changed and why for that character. It’s honestly quite annoying to read this trope if not fully written to it’s potential.

3 Likes

Here’s a trope that makes me want to pull my hair out and that is used in almost all telenovelas.

It’s that freaking love triangle mess where the LI sees the MC talking to another guy (or the MC sees the LI talking to another girl) and the person who isn’t the main LI hugs or tries to kiss the MC, and at that very moment, the LI just HAPPENS to walk by and see them, thinking the MC loves the other guy, so instead of just waiting to see the MC push that other guy away or tell him that she doesn’t love him, the LI walks away and cries. The same applies to the MC seeing the LI about to be kissed by another girl or something like that.

I hate it to the max!

1 Like

Totally agree! It’s a very annoying trope!

1 Like

How about the “broken girl” from an abusive home running into the arms of an equally (if not more) abusive “bad boy”

If the abuser is hot it’s not abuse anymore

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity :white_heart: