Diversity in Stories

I noticed diversity is a big issue and that a lot of stories only particular characters as background characters instead of actually incorporating them into the story. If they actually land an important role they lack their own personality. Sometimes ppl are so focused on their particular race that they forget theirs other races out there. Or I guess I won’t say forget because sometimes it’s they just don’t care.

6 Likes

That’s a really good point! I’ve seen so many threads saying “I need a diverse background cast” and I never even batted an eyelid, but it can be used as a scapegoat!

5 Likes

Bump

Thought I could–

3 Likes

I don’t have much to say on this topic but,

I love how some cishet people claim to be ‘not easily triggered’ like the libs but the second there’s an LGBTQ+ person or someone who’s not white in a story they get pissy.

For example: Cyberpunk will allow you to choose your gender and sexuality. All I have to say to people getting angry with it: Die mad about it, bitch.

4 Likes

Diversity bump \o7

2 Likes

Bumpersity

1 Like

Diversity is a requirement, not a chore.

How can you write a story with no diversity?

2 Likes

Xtra-Large Bump

Are there any stories with diversity that you would like to recommend on?

Bump?

While diversity is important in stories, I feel like it should be actually thought out…
Don’t just throw some “diverse” people into your story to be able to label it as diverse… Just because you mention that a character is gay, it doesn’t make your story more diverse or interesting. And I’m tired of authors introducing the person as “This is X and he’s gay.” :expressionless: You wouldn’t introduce a straight person like this so why do you do it every time you introduce a gay person? :expressionless::green_heart::eyes::sparkles:

6 Likes

I agree. Diversity is important because the world is not one race, religion or sexuality. There are people of every shape, size, color, religion, and sexuality. To not add it to a story is unrealistic and frankly annoying.

This :100:. I can not tell you how quickly I exit a story that includes:
“This is _____, he/she is gay.”
INSERT RACIALLY-STEREOTYPICAL CHARACTER BEST FRIEND and make sure you POINT OUT that they are “sassy, ghetto, loud, and in love with food”- this is offensive, even to me as a white person. I have friends of every nationality and religion. To see them portrayed in this manner… just no.

There are so many people who add “diversity” just for the sake of saying that they’re diverse- because woke points. No, child. That’s not how any of this works. If you aren’t going to be bothered to research the culture/race/sexuality/transgender people’s lives, struggles, or beliefs… don’t f*cking add them. If you are going to add “diversity” do it respectfully! Pay attention to the message you’re putting out there.

…also reading this made me realize— there are almost no white people in my story blind date (WIP). :joy: The difference between my story being diverse and Sally Anne adding a black, gay best friend and announcing it via Narration, is that I look to my friends IRL for advice on what I’m portraying… while I know my friends don’t speak for everyone, they know more about their culture than I do.

6 Likes

DiverseBUMP

1 Like

Bump

I agree with that diversity in stories is important, not for the sake of diversity but for the sake of making an effort to depict reality. There’s no excuse for not adding diverse characters into a story more than that the writer only knows how to write a handful of characters.

3 Likes

This is soooo true. Make it realistic. Especially in the world we live in today, there is probably only a VERY, VERY small percentage of the world’s population who just have one nationality within them. If we’re talking the “white” race particularly then there aren’t really any who are of one particular nationality, with certain European dominance throughout history. Not taking racial or sexual diversity in account can almost be classed as lazy writing.

3 Likes

Closed due to inactivity :two_hearts: