Do you like cutscenes in video games?

A lot of games have cutscenes added into them! These can be fully animated or rendered from the normal game art.

• Do you like cutscenes?
  • Do you usually watch them or skip them?
  • When are cutscenes particularly good or bad?
3 Likes

Only if they’re good, add to the plot/game and aren’t too frequent.

I watch them, but if they’re cutscenes that get repeated multiple times throughout the game, then I skip them.

Good cutscenes have good animation/art, actually add something to the game and aren’t too long/frequent.

1 Like

definitely! i’ve seen plenty that are kinda pointless

1 Like

I’ve seen cutscenes that are just walking over to a new location, in a fashion game. If that’s not the most unnecessary cutscene, I don’t know what is

1 Like

Right? And those ones are always the unskippable ones

1 Like

Yip, really think the only games that should be without them are purely multiplayer based Arena games. Otherwise therea cutscene is always a good way to introduce your player to the game, or the world that you have created.

Even a simple cutscene can have a great impact on player investment in the game itself.

I watch them. The only exception I tend to find with this is in MMO’s where you have a requirement to keep up with the rest of the players, many whom might have already seen the cut scenes or whom have no interest in the story of the world.

However most games that have a feature like this also have a facility that allows you to review and replay cut scenes in your own time so that you are not missing anything.

It is really hard to say when Cut scene’s are good or bad, as it is very much a contextual subject. Personally I don’t like a cut scene that will destroy agency for the player. The cut scene is a tool to help tell the story but it should never be used to force the player to do a certain thing that has been goes against knowledge that the PC should already have, or something stupid that has been done because “plot requires it.”

At the same time putrescence should always avoid “defeating” the player only to provide them with a new gimmick that allows them to win. There are better ways to do this.

A good cut scene should make the player feel like they are connected to the story that is being told, make them care about the characters and want to get to the next part in the story so that they can see what happens next.

Just my thoughts.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums @Pit_Nyburus! I love the profile pic!

That’s a good point :eyes:

Definitely!

1 Like

Why thank you very much Made it myself a few days ago for other things. :laughing:

1 Like

So what brings you to the forums? :eyes: Do you like video games?

1 Like

Found my way here from Reddit of all places.

Yeah :smiley: big video game fan, actually Studied Video Game Development at University. Though that was a few years ago now. Still love the design and keep up with the ideas as much as I can

1 Like

oh, interesting!

That’s so cool! Do you work in the industry?

No and if University taught me anything, I never would. Way to much grind and OT. I want to enjoy games, and the few small games I have made were for fun. I realised I wanted to keep it as a Hobby not a job.

1 Like

That’s entirely fair! What kind of games have you made? :eyes:

Just side scrolling shooters, simple 2D platformers, nothing overly complicated. I ended up applying most of the skills I learnt into my actual job anyway to assist with data analysis. So all worked out I guess :laughing:

1 Like

That’s good! Data analysis is definitely one of the stabler jobs in computer science

1 Like

Indeed, but was very happy to see this forum had a video games section :smile: so I am definitely gonna hang around.

1 Like

I don’t usually like them
Depends tho some of them can be really rad

I love cutscenes most times! There are very few games where I actually get annoyed with cutscenes but that’s due to if I’m having to repeat that cutscene over again. This happens usually when I play hidden object games from Big Fish Games. When you open up a game it will automatically start the cutscene video that previews the premise of the game. Once you have seen the cutscene once you tend to just click the skip button that they add-in.

Most of the time, I will rewatch them if it’s been a while since I’ve seen them. Like the SWTOR cutscenes, I can watch back to back because I love them so much. I do the same thing with most hidden object games that I really enjoy playing but I also skip it if I’m just trying to get to the menu.

Well, sometimes I feel like the cut scenes in big fish games can be bad because you do have to skip the same cutscene over and over again when you open the game. Another bad part is when you are playing a high-definition cutscene that glitches because of bugs. It happened to SWTOR when they released the Knights of the Fallen Order and Knights of the Eternal Throne. They were able to fix it in the long run but it was definitely annoying to deal with. There are many games I could list but I think I’m just going to leave it here.

Passie’s questions:

• Do you like cutscenes?
  • Do you usually watch them or skip them?
  • When are cutscenes particularly good or bad?

@Gamers
@GamersUnite

Cut scenes are usually enjoyable if no one spoils it for me.

I watch them. It is like watching a film or a TV show. But if the scenes are traumatising, then I skip them.

That is a very hard question.

Closed due to inactivity