How To Get A Job (Tips not a definite way)

I did a whole unit on recruitment and selection as well as employability skills when I did my BTEC, during this time I learned how to make a CV, a cover letter, how to prepare for an interview, how to even find a job and basically just a whole bunch of tips and stuff on how to get a job. With that said, getting a job isn’t always easy, especially if you don’t have prior experience, so I hope the tips I am about to pass onto you do come in handy.

Job suggestions for teenagers

Now before all of this you will probably wanna get your CV ready, you can find CV templates on google, you should also get someone to proof read it. You can also find templates for cover letters. A cover letter goes with your CV and pretty much explains why you would be good for the job. Obviously your cover letter will change depending on the job. Because different jobs require different things so probably don’t write your cover letter until you find a job to apply for

Tip 1: Look For a Job

When companies are looking for new employees externally they will tend to advertise in many places like the internet or even newspapers. If you have a particular company in mind you can check out their own website and see if they have anything available.

Tip 2: When you think you’ve found a job

When you think you have found a job, read all about it. What hours are they saying? What payment are they offering? Is it flexible? Part time? Full time? Do your skills line up with their desired and required skills?

If a skill is desired then you don’t need to have it but it would probably be helpful if you did.

Tip 3: If you get asked for an interview

Make sure you follow any dress code requirements they give you, believe it or not, not all companies will want you to dress in suits for your interviews some may just say “smart casual”.

If you have a look at the job description as well as the person specification this should give you a good idea of the questions that are gonna be asked during the interview which should allow you to prepare and hopefully calm your nerves.

Now to appear keen on the job, try to prepare your own questions! If you really don’t have any then when the interviewer asks if you have any just say something like “I think they have all been covered”.

What to do if you have no experience or references

If you are in school/college or even just out of them then ask your teacher, maybe ask your head of year or your form tutor if you have one (I don’t know the American equivalent) if they will give you a reference. 2 referee’s are probably best but be sure to ask them first because you will need to put their contact details on your CV.

As for experience (if it’s desired), just ensure they know you are eager to learn about it.

I’m gonna leave it here but if anyone had any questions feel free to ask, remember, this is not a definite way of getting a job

8 Likes

Oh damn.
How did I not think of that myself

3 Likes

Some people fall at the first hurdle innit

2 Likes

Question- can you do all of this if you’re still a teenager and have zero job experience? Or are there other tips you would give to teenagers?

Edit: Read that last part now but this is still valid- like what kind of job should you look for as a teenager and what places will actually hire you?

1 Like

How old do you have to be to get a job? :thinking:

Hmmm I think I would try for something like McDonalds or like a cafe or something. Idk what limitations there are in terms of age with stuff you can do. Maybe even retail.

1 Like

Probably something part time!

@WritingWithStars Admittedly I’m a little out of touch with what jobs teens are getting these days so if you have any friends who have jobs maybe ask them about it orrr ask people on here :grin:

1 Like

Fast food places often hire teens. I know McDonald’s is known for hiring youths and they have a refer a friend program going on rn—at least in Canada.
Ice cream places often hire teens, I see teens working at ice cream places for a summer job allllll the time

Some restaurants hire teens as waitresses and stuff, I know a girl who works at East Side Mario’s and she’s in high school. Other restaurants literally can’t hire teens because of the whole drinking age though, so keep that in mind.

Also, some clothing stores hire teens.

3 Likes

Mind if I link this in my OP?

1 Like

Not at all~

1 Like

I would also say that you might be lucky to know someone who knows someone who can offer a job. I’ve personally never had that experience but I know sooo many who got a job through contacts. Don’t discard that way of getting a job if you have the opportunity. Some workplaces don’t advertise smaller positions for summer jobs and extra workers who are paid by the hour.

2 Likes

Yeah some can’t actually afford to advertise so word of mouth is good for that

1 Like

In the US it’s mainly 16.

1 Like

I have friends who work at this theme park (not rn rn tho cuz of covid being stinky) but like it’s a really bad job… They basically hire anyone lol. Again really bad job tho.
I also know that babysitting is a good option but you can’t do that rn because Covid is big stinky.

1 Like

@Discussions anyone has any tips on how to get a job? Any rad or unrad stories to tell?

2 Likes

Closed due to inactivity