How to give your MC a real flaw (or just any character)

I’ll give an example as well, using my character Angelina from Deadly Nightshade.

So Angelina is the MC in my story. And she’s not… really… the kind of protagonist you’d normally expect her to be. With her name, she’s not even the kind of person one would expect her to be. That’s why I named her Angelina- because it contrasts with her personality. The irony, irony… right?

Now, Angelina isn’t a good woman at all. That’s right, she’s the villain. And the MC. You can easily make your MC a villain (I may make a thread on this someday.) Angelina’s manipulative, sly, conniving, conceited, arrogant, very vain, and incredibly ambitious. On the flip side… think of your characters as coins. There are always 2 sides to a coin, yes? Heads and tails. Despite her being incredibly evil, she’s also charismatic, determined, clever, influential, and can pull through most situations (read: deals with things her way.)

To her, she’s doing what she thinks is good for her, what’ll benefit her rather than anyone else. Some people hate her, while others love her. Both sides are gonna get used anyway, once she needs them. So, you see, I’ve easily managed to create a character that you’ll either hate to love, or love to hate. Duality, huh?

Initially, I wanted to write her as someone who was gradually pushed towards evil throughout the story, rather than have evil/malice within her from events that happened in her life revealed quickly. But I decided to use the latter because I thought it’d make the storytelling better. And I guess it did, seeing the effects it had on other characters, like her friends, husband, father-in-law, and even total strangers.

Indirect characterization works way better when you’re creating characters like this. You can’t say “Angelina is evil” because that’s lazy writing. Instead, slowly expose her flaws and have others react to those flaws/traits while being affected by her “good side”. It creates confusion, shock, chaos, and total drama! Use the bewilderment and chaos to your advantage! It affects both the readers and the characters.

In conclusion, don’t make your characters too flawed or too perfect, even if they’re evil. Use good characterization to shape your characters and think of them as coins.

(At last, I finished this post. I’ve had it in my drafts for months now!)

3 Likes

In the novel I am currently writing, my MC is neither a Mary Sue or the opposite. She is a tough lady but she is also sadistic at the same time because of course in the first chapter, she is always up for catfights and she is very blunt. I would say that the MC is very likeable but a little superior at the same time, this is to do with her past and same with her mum in the story which I will be explaining later.

I know I’m still at the beginning of writing His Temptress but I’ll just go with the flow you know.

2 Likes

bUmP :cherry_blossom:

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity