How to make an MC transformation realistic

I don’t like when the transform from a “good”/“nerdy” girl to a weird/popular girl. I always like the “nerd” more. I hate it when they “transform” and have a whole new personality. There was a story I read recently where I think it did it in a good way but it was still bad. The “nerdy” girl’s sister was very manipulative and made her wear glasses and ugly clothes even though she didn’t need them, and she only changed when her mom made a horrible decision to send her to a juvenile place thing where she wasn’t around her sister anymore so her sister couldn’t manipulate her and she got to be herself. When she transformed, she was still a nerd and still had her personality she was just more extroverted.
But I still liked the “nerd” more, because I felt like she had more of a personality surprisingly. She was slightly shy, like school more but could bite back at insults and I really liked that aspect. Then, she changes into this girl who is super sarcastic and stuff like that, but then when she’s “nice” (because overall the author tries to write it like she didn’t change) she’s either overly flirty with the boys or just plain boring.
I just wish that there was a story where the main character learned to adapt and change on her own and found ways to deal with bullying and insecurities instead of changing anything about their outside selves. Like their clothes and stuff. Because change is honestly natural and these stories act like whenever we change we suddenly have to be super different than we already are. And that we changed ourselves because our past self was “bad” (looked bad, shy, etc…) that’s just digging into the bullying… like it’s teaching people that if someone says that they look ugly its true and they have to change themselves.
With shy people at my school… usually newer people to the school are really shy at first then people slowly welcome them into their groups. They aren’t going around talking to everyone, the introverted ones are still introverted, but they have groups to be around and to hang out with. I’d like to see more of that or small changes but the personality is still there.
If they are going to change and be extremely extroverted make them slightly extroverted in the first place, like talking to people, wanting to go out more… feeling trapped in their room… etc, and then when they change it won’t be so out of place, it’ll feel natural for that character. It’ll also make sense for this type of character if they change their outfits and stuff around.

3 Likes

Totally agree with you, i have read this story and it doesn’t show us how she learned to defend herself while in that place and i didn’t like that she didn’t need glasses because i would like it if she kept them. I always notice in stories, authors find excuses so the MC won’t need glasses or just wears contacts in order to make them ‘bEaTiFuL’.
And regarding the personalities, in this story the MC wasn’t that shy i noticed she had some confidence in her like when she managed to knock out the bully in ‘jail’ so i don’t think she changed a lot she is more confident because she had been there for too long and she is used to it making her more confident but i wanted to learn more about that.
But in some other stories the nerd is super shy and has very low self-esteem but when they transform into a ‘hot popular’ gyal she becomes annoyingly confident and suddenly adapts easily to the popular lifestyle and goes to parties and gets drunk which is not realistic at all.

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity.