'How to Write Black Characters' Blog Post – Share Your Advice

Hi everyone,

So I am going to be writing a How to Write Black Characters blog post in the near future. There is a book coming out on the topic on Amazon this month and I want to read it beforehand, so it will probably come out at the end of July. If it’s good, I will recommend it on my blog post and build on it. If it’s not so good, I will review it and give alternative advice.

I would love your own thoughts and opinions on the subject to help me with my blog post! Obviously I am half black and I have my own thoughts and feelings, but I am only one voice. I would love as many more as possible.

If you’re black, I would appreciate you leaving any stories, frustrations or bits of advice concerning writing black characters. Help me to get this post right!

For our non-black users, please feel free to leave any questions you have about writing black characters. That will definitely help me to know what people are looking for in their advice blogs!

If you would like to preorder the book, too, follow the following link:

How to Write Black Characters: An Incomplete Guide (Incomplete Guides Book 1)

Please note: as an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

@Writers
@Discussions

15 Likes

I’m only half black too, but I connect more to my black side anyways, so I guess I’ll give my input.

I dislike the stereotype that all black characters are “sassy”, “rude”, “ghetto”, and “dumb”. This is not only harmful but simply untrue. Black people don’t have only one personality, and can be rude, kind, smart, dumb, weird, unique, normal, boring, strong, weak, idiotic, light-hearted, or any other personality trait.

Also, colorism. Refer to this thread by @ForeverAngel for more info. But basically, light skins are stereotypes as being “feminine” while dark skins are stereotyped as being “aggressive”. Both are stupid for different reasons.

I had a classmate once tell me that black people can’t be part of the LGBTQ+ community. This is false for obvious reasons. Black men can be gay, and black women can be lesbian, or anywhere in between. It’s no different for non black people.

If you’re going to write a black character, don’t make them as the main character’s tell-it-like-it-is friend for diversity points. Not only is it overused, but it’s stereotyping black women as well. Why not make your main character black? Or make your best friend black, but don’t make her have the same copy and paste personality in all of these stories.

My thoughts on this. I don’t usually stay that active in the writing section, but I thought I’d give it a go :upside_down_face: :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

Thanks for this! I don’t get the whole “black people can’t be gay” thing. I guess it’s because, sadly, there is quite a bit of homophobia in black communities. I hope that’s something we can move past!

3 Likes

The company that made the book I recommended also wrote this blog post that I think might be helpful to some:

3 Likes

@Discussions did anyone else order the book? My pre-order just came through, so I’m gonna start it straight away! :eyes:

2 Likes

Oh not yet, I just now saw this thread again.

1 Like

No, I have no money atm, but I may look into it later

2 Likes

No problem! I’m just excited and wanted to see if I could share it with anyone xD

2 Likes

I’m a loser :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Understandable! I will give it a look tomorrow!

Lol no you’re not! :ghost:

So with the staff meeting and everything yesterday, I only finished the introduction (which is amazing) and I am reading the first chapter now!

I am thoroughly impressed so far, if I’m honest! They’ve included some great quotes form black voices such as Maya Angelou and I love that we share a goal of providing affordable (the book is just over $3) advice to people who can’t afford to pay for formal proofreading, editing and sensitivity reading!

I have mixed feelings about the fact that the introduction is written by a white writer, but I think I resolved them pretty nicely: While it is frustrating to me that black voices and ideas so often need to be “introduced” by white authors to make them more palatable to white readers, I think that it makes it easier to swallow for the people who need this book the most. Plus, the rest of the book – the meatier information – is all written by loads of black writers, which is great because it shows that, as the books says, “blackness is not a monolith”.

That being said, I think the writer of the introduction did make one small mistake: I think she used the terms “white guilt” and “white privilege” too early on in the book. She beautifully described the blissful ignorance that can come with being white and not experiencing racial marginalisation when she told her personal story of realising that the publishing world isn’t as diverse as she thought is was.

Then, she followed that up with an aside in brackets in which she used the two aforementioned terms. I think that could possibly run the risk of making people shut off – and the people who are prone to shutting off when they read things like that are, as I said before, the ones who need this book the most.

The first chapter is about the top 10 most prevalent stereotypes of black characters in the media, which I think is a great way to start! They break down the most pernicious tropes and then build you up again with the advice in the later chapters! Plus, they go into detail on what each stereotype is and then give you a little bit of advice at the end of each description on how you can start to avoid it in your own writing. Awesome!

The advice so far is gentle and easy to read (probably easier to read than this “short” review) and I seriously love the fact that they called it the “Incomplete Guides” series, as I think that perfectly highlights the fact that you can’t just read one book and become an expert on portraying black characters!

So far, I highly recommend! To be honest, I’m really surprised that it took as long as it did for a book like this to come out! I’d read another book about writing diversity before:

Writing Diverse Characters for Fiction, TV or Film

However, this one was super vague and didn’t provide much advice on how to get diversity and representation right. It focused more on the why we should expand the representation of our stories. So, I pulled some great ideas from it in that respect, but not much else! Plus, some of the Twitter users and websites they recommend are no longer around, which is a little bit frustrating.

I much prefer the one I’m reading now!

@Writers

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases

5 Likes

@CrazyCaliope you might like this review so far :smiley: I think the same can be said about writing black characters for RPs and SGs!

3 Likes

Oh I forgot to add: I don’t just think this book is good for white writers trying to write black characters. I think black writers could also learn a thing or two about what other black writers think of diversity! After all, “blackness is not a monolith.”

3 Likes

I love your review so far, can’t wait for the next one. Also, yes, the writers in our RP/SG community could benefit greatly.

The book recommends this article! Check it out!

https://www.ferris.edu/HTMLS/news/jimcrow/antiblack/sapphire.htm

Closed due to inactivity :sparkles:

The blog post is up here, if anyone was curious how this turned out :eyes: