Pub Quiz (07/08/2021)

11th biology paid off at least somewhere

3 Likes

Was once again a very enjoyable quiz! And yeah, biology and all the time I’ve spent reading useless facts about the body is actually paying off :joy:

3 Likes

Alright, here are the answers, @PubQuiz

Question 1:

Lockjaw is another name for which medical condition?
Tetanus

Question 2:

What is the light sensitive area at the back of the eye called?
Retina

Question 3:

Which basin-like structure in the body is composed of the hip bones and lower part of the spine?
Pelvis

Question 4:

What is the more common name for the disease varicella?
Chickpox

Question 5:

What sort of blood cells are also called leukocytes?
White Blood Cells

Question 6:

What name is given to a swelling in the neck caused by enlargement of the thyroid gland?
Goitre

Question 7:

In the body, what are lumbar, sacral, median, ulnar, digital, maxillary, and tibial types of?
Nerves

Question 8:

By what name are secretions of the lacrimal glands commonly known?
Tears

Question 9:

Which organ of the body is inflamed in a case of encephalitis?
The brain

Question 10:

Which hormone regulates the level of sugar in the blood?
Insulin

Question 11:

What percentage of the human body is water on average?
Most of the human body is water, with an average of roughly 60%. Most of the organs and tissues contain more than 70% water: blood and kidneys consist of 83% water, and muscles 76% water.

Question 12:

The smallest bone in the human body is about the size of what?
A grain of rice. This bone is called the stapes bone.

Question 13:

The smallest bones in the human body are found where?
Ears. There are three tiny bones that are found in your middle ear named the malleus, incus, and stapes.

Question 14:

Humans get an entirely new skeleton every 12 years, true or false?
True. It’s due to the body’s continual replacement of its bone cells.

Question 15:

Calcium crystals are a normal part of what body region?
In the inner ear that help to regulate balance. Balance is a choreographed arrangement that takes sensory information from a variety of organs and integrates it to tell the body where it is in related to gravity and the earth.

Question 16:

Sweat is the main cause of body odor, true or false?
False. Sweat itself has no odor. Body odor is the result of a combination of sweat and bacteria contained in a dark and moist environment, like an armpit or feet enclosed in footwear.

Question 17:

In a single day, one of your feet can sweat the equivalent of half a glass of water, true or false?
True. A pair of human feet contains 250,000 sweat glands. Each foot can sweat the equivalent of half a glass of water per day. There are about one trillion bacteria on each of your feet. That’s why feet can smell bad.

Question 18:

What is the largest organ of the human body?
Your skin is the largest organ on your body.

Question 19:

Cells related to which part of the body divide considerably faster when compared to the rest?
Hair

Question 20:

What is the hardest substance in our bodies?
Tooth enamel

And the winner of the quiz is… @Megan & @Kristi!

@Megan 17
@Kristi 17
@OhSumana 16
@Jass 15
@Caticorn 12
@Ouijaloveletters 12
@unsungcheerio 7
@Littlefeets 5
@idiot.exe 2

6 Likes

congrats everyone!!

2 Likes

I’m 100% sure this should be bones

Lol, this one I could argue it’s true tho. Since without the sweat there wouldn’t be body odor. And the bacteria are actually transported by the sweat, so without sweat there wouldn’t be body odor so I do see that as the main cause… Tho I get the point why its false, I still think true is the more correct answer…

2 Likes

Nope. They’re all nerves. The lumber nerves are 5 spinal nerves, sacral is bladder and bowels, the median is one of the three major nerves of the forearm and hand, which is similar with the ulnar nerve. The digital nerve is in your fingers, the maxillary is in the face, and the tibial in the leg.

As for the other, please don’t argue, it’s just pub quiz. Yes, the answer is still false. The reason for this is that sweat alone is not the main cause of body odor, hence the question’s wording. It was a trick question.

3 Likes

Jdjhad i couldn’t attend but congrats to the winners!

2 Likes

Closed due to inactivity and since the results have been announced