Representing Latinx Character Don’ts

100% true. My cousin is Mexican, but she’s often judged because she has blue eyes and pale skin. Latinos/Mexicans come in all shades.

6 Likes

Hahah! This reminds me of Arabs. It’s expected to give hospitality if you’re arab, (which I am.)
And be expected to be treated the same way when entering an arab’s household.

2 Likes

Yes, definitely! :sunflower:

Another stereotype I’m tired of:
Not every single Mexican is going to randomly insert curse words in every conversation. Yes, there are many people who do that. There are also people who do not. It really depends on a lot of factors, such as upbringing, personality, religious beliefs, and who you spend the most time around. In every single country, you will find people who curse like a sailor at any given time, people who only curse when they’re angry, and people who don’t like cursing. So just because your character doesn’t say cab***, pend***, and other common swear words every five seconds doesn’t mean that they aren’t accurately representing Mexican culture. You can have a few characters who talk like that, but balance it out by having someone else who doesn’t.

4 Likes

Thank you!

I’m writing a Latina character and this is very useful!

4 Likes

Glad I could help! Feel free to PM me or just ask here if you need help or advice!

2 Likes

If you go to a Mexican relative’s house, I would not recommend eating before going there. Hospitality and offering food are incredibly important.

We need more positive latinx characters, not just the over-sexualised ones, poor ones, or gang members.

6 Likes

PREACH DEAR :clap::clap::sneezing_face:

3 Likes

Thank you!!
I am still developing her story line…She is not the main character but, at the same time, I don’t want her to be just a support char for the protagonist…if I’ll have doubts or will need some advice I’ll keep in mind your kind offer :smiley:

2 Likes

YES, YES, YES! Thank you to not only Ani but all the others who have added to this thread too. This is fantastic and it is a great resource for all our potential writers here.

3 Likes

I just wanted to clarify how important it is that we see more of this. :blush:

2 Likes

I wanted to come in and offer some differences as well. I am Puerto Rican and while most of these still apply, there are quite a few differences between the Mexican culture and Puerto Rican culture (which may also extend to Dominican Republic and maybe Cuba as well).

When it comes to racism, Puerto Rico does not separate between the different shades. That’s because a lot of Puerto Ricans have ancestors who were slaves and worked in the sugar plantations. The music, the food, the dialect, event some religious aspects, are inherited from Africans (Santeria combines Catholicism with Yoruban practices). It’s really interesting to hear about so many differences between Latino cultures. Not to say that Puerto Rico doesn’t have a race problem, but if you’re Puerto Rican, it doesn’t matter what skin you have, you’re Puerto Rican first and foremost.

Puerto Ricans are also a lot more informal with the language. I have heard a lot of elders called ‘Tu’ instead of ‘Usted’, especially if they are close with the family. Granted, Puerto Ricans are infamous for speaking LOUD and FAST.

I think it’s cool to here about the cultural and regional differences, thus wanted to offer my two cents too.

4 Likes

Also need to add something specific to Puerto Ricans:

Yes, we are US Citizens and DO NOT FORGET IT. I am sick and tired of people calling my family immigrants because technically…we are NOT. We are US Citizens cause Puerto Rico is a US Territory.

Now what may contradict the above is also the fact that we are Puerto Rican. First and Foremost. It’s kinda like how Texans are very proud about being Texan. Puerto Ricans are similar and we rather not have that diminished. We are proud of our heritage and our little Island. Boricua!

7 Likes

Wdym? :eyes:

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity :innocent: