Weekly Poll 1/11/2020 - Grammar

Hello again, forum family,

Thanks to everyone who voted on last week’s poll!
It seems that the majority of forumers weren’t dressing up for Halloween (wink)

This week’s poll will be about Grammar.
Which grammatical error bugs you the most?

• Affect/Effect
  • Improper comma use
  • “Irregardless”
  • It’s/its
  • Than/Then
  • They/Their/They’re
  • Using an apostrophe wrongly
  • Your/You’re
  • I don’t really care/mind
  • All of them
  • Another answer (share below)

0 voters

Feel free to create polls and discuss Grammar below! (wink)

@Discussions

7 Likes

ALL

2 Likes

The apostrophe on one always gets me.

3 Likes

Having grammatical errors with words in the wrong order or as the wrong part of speech bothers me most :eyes:

4 Likes

Semicolons are so underrated-

3 Likes

All of them really, but comma errors are the worst!

2 Likes

If I cared I would be a hypocrite

2 Likes

Improper comma use, and…
Freaking run-on sentences.
I need to give a class in all three grades about run-on sentences ASAP because my students just don’t know when to end a sentence.

EXAMPLE: Yesterday, it was so hot, i went to the store to buy some ice cream, they didn’t have any ice cream, I was mad, disappointed, hungry, I screamed at the lady working behind the counter because there was no ice cream, when I came home my mom said she bought some chocolate candy, I ate that, I was happy.

3 Likes

Hahaha. Too true!

2 Likes

Honestly, I feel like if used in a comedic context, those loooooong sentences could be quite funny, he has

But I know what you mean. They tend to be annoying. Even though, I do that too lmao

3 Likes

Everyone in my class has English as their first language, yet I’m the only one who can speak and write it properly :star_struck:

1 Like

I always do that, because my first language is German and we always write such long sentences in German :eyes::eyes::green_heart::no_mouth:

3 Likes

The most annoying one is still “Should of” instead of “should have” :eyes::eyes:

2 Likes

I think that’s probably why they do it. Their first language is Spanish, and sentences tend to be longer in Spanish and are considered grammatically correct. :sunflower: :sunflower:

2 Likes

So does that mean that longer sentences aren’t considered grammatically correct in English? :eyes::eyes:

1 Like

Depends on how you make the sentence :eyes:

3 Likes

Depends on the sentence and it’s structure. I am a master of making extremely long sentences, but having them perfectly grammatically correct. So with those they are technically fine, just difficult for some people to read.

3 Likes

If it’s a compound or complex sentence, yes. But you should use coordinating conjunctions to connect two independent clauses, and a relative pronoun to connect an independent clause with a dependent one.

2 Likes

Any more votes or discussions, @Discussions & @HomeworkHelp?!

2 Likes