What questions do you ask & answer when creating characters?

While making a character there are usually a few questions you ask yourself while making them.

For me they are mostly these type of questions:
1. Balancing fear(weakness)/strength(skill or power)
For me it’s important to have balanced character. I like them to have a lot of room to grow so most of my characters either start off weak or they aren’t able to bring out their full potential due to either lack of knowledge how or some other link like fear, etc.

2. The WHY question.
I LOVE to add why questions to get details to my character. most of the time it’s like this:
She’s scared of the dark > why > incident as a kid > Why did it scare her so much? > she almost died > Why did she almost die? > she couldn’t see the safe area.

3. What do I want them to do/ what do I want their role in the rp to be?
This one is more looking at how my character can be used in the plot if my story/the rp. I can start small like: suport / attacker / diplomat / loner / informant / resources / tinker/ etc.
Sometimes I just give them one extra little goal as well. Some examples for these are all from my Westeria characters:
Charlia: Make a Selenium friend. (friend with the enemy)
Bryn: Meet his sister or end up in his hometown. (He went missing, now returns as an enemy)
Avian: To rescue someone from the Seleniums. (going into harms way in enemy territory)
Eulalia: To give a failed experiment boost to one of the cadets :smiling_imp: (basically be the reason a cadet loses :innocent: )

The reason I like to add these are so when I don’t know for a bit what to do with my characters, I can always work towards those goals as a little side quest.

@RPers, what kind of questions do you ask & answer while creating your character?

4 Likes
  1. Why am I creating this character? Why is it this character and not other? Why are they worth RPing?

2. What’s their story? What’s the conflict? How did that affect their life?

3. How do they approach the outer world? How are they in their inner world?

4. What’s their goal? Why is that their goal? How do they plan to reach that goal?

5. What do they fear? What makes them them? What do they dislike, like, and what are their strengths? What sets them apart from other characters? What makes them unique?

So yeah those are (some) of the questions I ask myself when creating a character. I mostly focus on their story and the depth of that, because that’s what makes me want to put them on the spotlight. Basically, make them have a story worth sharing.

2 Likes

Ooh and yes I love the why-why analysis

As someone who can’t relax with the absence of reason I love asking why and how

2 Likes

Um what’s their name, FC, gender, sexuality, baccstory and personality.
That’s all I think about… :grinning:

2 Likes

Maybe things like:
What’s their goal?
What’s important to them?
What are 2 important moments from their past that Devine them today? And why?

Those help with shaoing your character better, and give you more filling when writing their bio.

2 Likes

I think about these when writing the backstory.

2 Likes

Yeah they really help while making them because it gives them a more detailed backstory and it often gives a clear explanation why your character acts or chooses to do a certain action when needed.

2 Likes

But when creating a character, these are the basic stuff I think about.

1 Like

Fair enough

1 Like

closed due to inactivity