What's The Best Advice You Could Give Other Writers?

I agree with you!

Just continue practicing. I write poems on occasion, and the poems I wrote in 2016-2017 are nowhere near as good as my more recent poems.

1 Like

Yes! It’s annoying with episode because I keep not liking my work, then having to save it/put it somewhere, but then I end up using it/liking it later! That was the case recently, I realized the older way I had set up the scene wasn’t actually as bad as I thought and that I was being too hard on myself.

Don’t give up.

I know writing is not a walk in the park but you’ll make it one day.

Remember, if someone tells you to “hurry up” if your work tell them that Rome wasn’t built in a day. Even making a film would take longer depending on the production.

1 Like

The best advice I can give? :thinking:

Take all the advice you read and receive with a grain of salt. Everyone has different methods, so:

• Try to get to the core of what any of your critics, fellow writers, or favorite authors are trying to express in terms of what they want to see more of in your writing or what they feel you should tackle and improve.
  • Do not get offended or feel down-trodden! If someone has taken the time to mention anything to you (be it negative or positive), it is because they were drawn enough to your writing to read it in the first place…that, in and of itself, means that you are on the right track!
  • Make it your style. I’m not immune to this myself. Sometimes, when you’re reading your favorite stories or when you are editing someone else’s work, sometimes their way of phrasing and describing story-specific details ends up “sticking” in your subconscious. That’s okay! But, whenever you can, try to catch yourself, especially if you realize you were a little too inspired by someone else’s work…specific terminology (example- the other day I caught myself explaining people from alternate dimensions as ‘Variants’ which was a term used in the Loki series…don’t worry, I’ll describe them as something else in my actual story) and other core aspects of someone else’s story should not be copied (if you ever need help changing something up enough so it is not a carbon copy, I can show you how in another post).
  • Keep improving and researching. As with any craft, skill, or technique…try not to remain stagnant or satisfied. That doesn’t mean taking it to the extreme and never, ever feeling satisfied…but, always strive to improve on something different each time (example- I’m currently working on building suspense in scenes and transitioning from one scene to the other without it feeling choppy or jarring).
  • NEVER be afraid to reach out!! Whenever I feel stuck in my artwork, I turn to my writing friends. Whenever I feel stuck in my writing, I consult my art friends…wait, isn’t it supposed to be the other way around? Regardless of how you go about it or who you reach out to, don’t ever be afraid to ask for help or for different opinions. My friends and I don’t agree on everything. But, hearing the various reasons as to why your friends think and believe in things differently will only help your writing improve. (example- @Rainbow and I are from completely different continents, let alone different countries, but our conversations are always valuable to me because of those differences. It’s also always fun to see what subjects we both totally agree on!)

…and that’s all I have so far.

2 Likes

Closed due to inactivity