Yikes... The Charity That Mark Rober Is Doing For Autism

σн. тнαт’ѕ νєяу вα∂.

1 Like

Idk what to think about ABA, when you look it up on google you get a lot of people not supporting it, and then when you look it up on Pub Med you get support for it. And now I’m just confused. But I do think that if people of a community don’t like a certain method then organizations should listen to that community.

I get the mess up. But I also think people should take the intentions more into an account.

If every time someone who actually has the power to make a change does something like this, they get bombarded with the things they did wrong, it’s going to stop other people from doing it in the future.

Besides about the thing that there are no autistic people in it, that’s something that you can’t do right because when you DO add them, it will also get people mad.

I have watched Mark’s videos for a long time and I know he has no ill intentions and always does his research. We don’t know how they picked the charity, maybe it was voted on, maybe some external organizations did it.

I feel like people aren’t able to fully judge everything correctly since all they have is the video for their source of information to be on Mark side, yet have a bunch of sources against him.

So it’s unfair to judge him on something we don’t know how it went down…

But that’s just my opinion.

1 Like

He’s trying. Points to him.

1 Like

Well, I agree with you, however I’m pretty sure this event is still happening. As far as I know at least. It’s understandable that it was a mistake and that he had good intentions, but perhaps a different organization should be picked or the event somehow rearranged.

2 Likes

I just feel like at this point every time someone tries to do something to raise awareness, help the community or whatever.

They can never do it right. They get hated on every small thing they did wrong, and it happens to everyone.

I just think its a shame that something that is so well meant, can’t be accepted by some details

(aside from the organization which, again, we don’t know who were all involved in picking it).

1 Like

I agree. It’s great, he just needs to fix some things.

1 Like

I’m just extremely worried about the money going to such a controversial organization.

Like, yeah it was a mistake but I’m not talking about the ethics/morals of Mark doing this, I’m just worried because this event is still happening. Yes, people will nitpick but the organization needs to be changed before lots of people start mass donating and causing potential harm.

1 Like

I know, but the good parts are always getting overshadowed by the bad things. And so all people will see is that this project is flawed, instead of, this project is beautiful but can be better.

2 Likes

It is beautiful. They don’t want to “cure” us for once.

If they change the organizations then yes, the project can be called flawed and could be better, but without some sort of change it is arguably harmful.

1 Like

Except for the ABA part.

2 Likes

Yeah and the once collaborating with Autism Speaks and being vague about that part.

1 Like

Also, I like to point out that sometimes the term ‘cure’ is used for more than just ‘getting rid of it’.

Some people try to ‘cure’ disabilities the same way as they cure Covid and how they ‘cured’ the common cold.

Which means they try to find ways that people with a disabilitie can live their lifes the best they can with the disability.

We never gor rid of the common cold but they found a way that it no longer obstruct day to day life.
And I feel like that’s the ‘cure’ some organizations talk about.

But not all of them and I know this one isn’t one of them.

1 Like

so, they used this as their care program:

• Diagnosis & Early Intervention
  • Individualized Treatment Plans
  • Clinical & Therapeutic Interventions
  • Family Therapy & In-home coaching
  • Case management & Social Services
  • Continuity of care after CADB in patients’ home community

I think it’s more a case that we are already frustrated and annoyed about the sh!t treatment we’ve received over the years, so the smallest mistakes just feel like the last straw. We need to work on that.
That being said, organisations also need to learn to listen to us. We are people whom the world has been designed against us, not diseases. They need to learn that.

Often, organisations focus on making it so that we can function ‘normally’ in a day to day world. They hold no concept of what a mask is nor how painful wearing it is, encouraging us to thicken it and make it permanent.
For example, I’ve seen organisations (generation rescue) who took pride in making non verbal people speak, instead of teaching them and their loved ones sign language. They focus on making it easier for society to deal with them, rather than them to deal with society.

However I do believe that Next for Autism may be trying, but they have a lot of work to do if they want acceptance from us

1 Like

or society to live with them.
I mean I would’ve LOVED to have learned sign language in high school instead of German or France. (no offense to both countries, I’m just bad at them).
since it’s an acknowledged language, why not make it easier to learn and at least make it an option?

1 Like

exactly! It’s much more useful than just a foreign language I don’t even get to pick

1 Like

In the Netherlands we have ± 16.000 people who communicate through sign and imagine being able to do it, you would be able to be an asset to so many companies and teams.

ᴀᴅᴅᴇᴅ ᴛᴀɢꜱ :maple_leaf:

@ouijaloveletters start adding tagzz

1 Like

I mean, what am I supposed to say? This “attempting to heal [something that is not even an illness]” has been going on for years, and no one has done anything to stop it. Of course, as an autistic teen, I’m hurt.

@line123462 what’s your opinion on this?

2 Likes