A beginners guide to quilting

Choose quilt patterns made with large pieces.

Honestly wish I did this myself.
Bigger shapes have less seems to sew. easier to block the species together. meaning there is less room for error.

Start with easy shapes to cut out

I recommend squares or rectangles.
for the first piece, I wouldn’t to a triangle so you don’t have to deal with saggy bias (which way round the fabric goes)

measure twice cut once.

keeping the pieces size consistent is important. All the pieces need to line up so if one piece is slightly off it won’t look right in the final quilt.

layout your pieces in the order you would like it to look.

laying it out helps get a feel of what the finished product will look like. Plus you can get it to look how ever you want to before sewing the pieces together with at least a 1/4 inch seem and pressing them.

Boarders

I haven’t got this far on mine yet but I hope so soon.

Some of the quilts I have seen have two boarders. An inner border going around the pattern and the other one that highlights the pattern at the first border. The inner border is the smaller of the 2.

Finishing the quilt

I haven’t got this far on mine yet but I hope so soon.

Bringing the quilt together for the final product.
The backing fabric can be any colour you want. I have been told its best to fit with the overall theme of the quilt.

Layer it with the wrong side of the backing fabric facing up.
Followed by the wadding/batting - tends to be bigger than your work it’s self at this point then the quilt top (the pattern you have been working on.
Pin it all together.
Sew it together.
cut off the excess wadding.
binding the seems. A binding is a piece of fabric used to hide the rough edges of the quilt.

my quilt example pics

Do you have any other tips for beginners?
@Discussions

12 Likes

Are quilts heavy, or am I thinking of comforters?

2 Likes

You’re thinking of comforters

1 Like

I originally read “quitting” :joy:

You can quilt? That’s so cool! Do you have any suggestions on what tools people should use?

3 Likes

Oh.

1 Like

Sewing machine. Preferably one with the inch measurements already marked on it.
Hand stitching the first few rows almost made me give up. I went to ambitious for my first one.

1 Like

I’ve never tried it but it looks so cool! I’ve been watching a vlogging channel where the grand parents own a small quilting company and the quilts/patterns/colors look super pretty :heart_eyes:

I read quitting too Shannii, you’re not the only one. Mainly because I’m legally blind. (It wants to autocorrect to legally blonde)

I love your quilting work!

1 Like

Added some tags :eyes::sparkles::green_heart:

And your quilt looks eyemazing :heart_eyes::green_heart::eyes::sparkles:

Thanks hanna

1 Like

Quilting tag added :innocent:

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity