A Brief History of Vaccines

Vaccines have been around in many different forms for a long time. Various reports disagree on exactly when inoculation became a thing, however some sources put it back almost two thousand years ago. Evidence shows that inoculation was practiced in the 1500s with smallpox. Although it was in practice for a long time, inoculation as a practice spread to Europe and North America quite slowly and was poorly regarded. However, epidemics clearly showed that people who had been inoculated were significantly less likely to die from small pox. In 1796, Edward Jenner tested a theory that cow pox would work against small pox and developed vaccinations. Vaccines were much safer than inoculations and dramatically reduced the number of small pox deaths. Over time vaccines were developed for other diseases and other methods were developed to weaken diseases for vaccinations. In 1882, the Anti-Vaccination League of America had its first meeting. Since then, we have only developed more vaccines and learned more about diseases and safe vaccinations.

All data taken from this website.

Did any of this information surprise you?
What do you know about the history of vaccines?
Given their long history, why do you think some people are anti-vaccines?

@Discussions

8 Likes

Pablo says NO to antivaxxers

2 Likes

Miss information
Worried about side effects like autism (though proven not to be a side effect)

2 Likes

I was surprised how they’re almost 2000 years old, at least according to some sources.

Nothing-
I just knew what they’re made of, that’s all.

Because they’re uninformed/misinformed about vaccines and believe they’re bad for your health :woman_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

(TW: gross)

Right? That’s such a long tradition of shoving pus into other people’s bodies

2 Likes

That’s gross af but at least it helps?

2 Likes

Right? Who would even think of that?

2 Likes

Yay…medics.

2 Likes

Cow pox was a thing? :no_mouth:

2 Likes

Yep

2 Likes

Some vaccines can cause other health related issues to some, they can also be misinformed or just super cautious or careful and not willing to risk it :eyes:

1 Like

I’ve never heard of that, it sounds scary :eyes:

1 Like

My mom had chicken pox when I was younger

1 Like

My aunt got shingles.

2 Likes

Vaccines: Well, it was worth a shot…

2 Likes

:joy: :rofl:

2 Likes

You knew it was coming eventually

2 Likes

It was cool though, really rad. :wink:

1 Like

rimshot Oh god, I did it again

1 Like

Yep! It usually infected people who would milk cows because they would physically come into contact with gross stuff which was contagious to humans

However, cow pox also seemed to make one immune to small pox (way more deadly disease), so perhaps they were the lucky ones