A character for my thriller story

So, I’m writing a character for my new thriller story… But I’m taking a bit of a risk. The MC is black. I’ve only written one story with a black female protagonist, Destiny from “Clue: In Cold Blood”. Most of the time I see white female characters as main characters in thriller stories, shows and/or movies. I don’t want to misrepresent my race or gender. I would like help on to how to “do” the character right. This includes:

• Customization
  • Character traits
  • Background/Backstory
  • Relationships with other characters
  • How to incorporate real-world problems like I did in my other story. I wanted to use domestic violence for this one
6 Likes

I’m not black and far from expert on thrillers, so I’m not sure if I can help. I did do some research a few years ago though, and I’d like to help if I can. Is your main problem portraying everything right and including culture non-offensively ?

By the way, love that name! I’ll go check the story out if you promise it’s not too scary.

2 Likes

Somewhat, yeah.

it’s published, 3 episodes so far

3 Likes

I’m afraid I can’t help you with the culture enough, sorry. But I’ll give the link to my friend who knows a lot about it, she’s black ethnicity as well and I think she’d love to help!

1 Like

1 Like

Well you’re in luck because I am a black female :slight_smile: I’m here if you need any help.

3 Likes

I’m a black female as well, I would be more than happy to help! Let me know if I can do anything for you!

3 Likes

I mean, if you do add CC and I mean full CC, then there would be no reason to emphasize shes a black women. Adding CC takes the original ethnicity/race away. Unless it’s limited.

4 Likes

I do like the idea of limited customization. You could have all the ethnic styles available, and skin tones limited. I think everything else should be completely open.

3 Likes

Would be best to stay away from the typical character stereotypes like angry, stubborn, obnoxious, and promiscuous.

3 Likes

Also, don’t let her race define who she is. Don’t let her only be apart of something political to shape her character. It’s always done with black characters and it gets tiring I like that you have domestic abuse because a lot of black women experience it and it does get overlooked and sexualized at times.

2 Likes

I agree! In my family, a lot of people are educated. My uncle was so smart he skipped three years of high school. That’s on my dad’s side anyway. On my mother’s side I am third generation Jamaican and I noticed the first, and sometimes second generations listen to a lot of reggae. As well as, my Grandad has a thick Jamaican accent.

3 Likes

It’s nice that you’re adding diversity to stories by making the mc black!
My advice is: Try not to overthink it. Black people are just like any other white person except… their black. Black people have different aspirations and interests, just like whites.
If you want to incorporate real world problems, some problems I face as a black girl is people telling me I’m pretty for a black and/or darkskin girl (which is offensive and just rude) or people telling me I talk “white” because I talk properly and don’t use slang (which is racist)

7 Likes

That’s lovely. I wonder if I should expand my cc just a tiny bit more or stick with the dark skin tones.

3 Likes

I’d suggest darker skin tones if the MC is black. You could go with light skin black! But don’t take it too far

3 Likes

But the downside to that is that the readers might take it too far… Colorism.

1 Like

How so? They might make all of the characters light skinned or they might dislike it if you don’t let them choose skin colour?

2 Likes

They might make the character(s) light skin.

1 Like

If the skin tone is important to the story, keep her dark. If not, there’s no problem with her being a light skinned black girl

2 Likes

What real-world issues would you like to incorporate in your story? Do you mean real-world problems black people go through and face, or just real-world problems in general?

4 Likes