Accents in English and Other Languages

So I’ve been thinking about accents lately because I’ve been watching so much tv while staying holed up at home. Particularly Outlander where there are Scottish, English, French and American accents (the American accent sounds so painfully out of place makes me conscious about my own accent :joy: :sob:).

As an American, I think of my accent as sort of “standard” but then there are huge variations regionally here too. If you wanna take a quiz on where your American English puts you on the map, try this one: The U.S. Dialect Quiz: How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk - The New York Times

And then watching Love Island I hear the different UK accents which gives me lots of joy (unlike the actual content of the show which is trash haha).

So what are your favorite accents to listen to in English?

I absolutely loved my husband’s French accent in English (now I can’t hear it anymore, it just sounds “normal” :sob:) but I know French people like @Khrema don’t like the French accent in English.

I also love @fcukforcookies’s sexy Russian accent and @ChaoticDeluge’s Scottish accent!

Also what about your favorite accents in other languages if your first language isn’t English or you know a language well enough to discern accents?

I’m getting used to the Southern French accent (I can only tell on a few specific sounds) and think it’s quite cute!

7 Likes

Why thank you, my accent is so normal to me that it’s funny when people notice it :joy:

I’m a big fan of @ShanniiWrites’ English accent, though I could be strung up by my countrymen for saying as much :eyes:

3 Likes

TOO POSH

2 Likes

Oh yes, I like your accent too, Shannii!

The English accent just makes everything sound smarter. (although Love Island is changing my mind about that…)

While my accent sounds like I just, like, went shopping or whatever.

2 Likes

Why thank you! :grin: I have a slight London twang, but generally the thing I love about RP is that you can’t tell where the person is from in England, since anyone taught to speak “properly” (I was for acting) gets this accent!

I really like a French accent too, tbh! The thing I find funny is the intonation rather than the accent. The way they put stress on some words is funny xD

2 Likes

Obviously I’ve been hearing French a lot lately, speaking to @anon70913242 :joy:

I hate my Dutch accent when I speak English…

2 Likes

No! I think it’s so charming!

2 Likes

Well I haven’t heard yours in particular, but I like Dutch accents!

1 Like

It sounds great on others like @wanderingechoes but it just makes me sound terrible…

2 Likes

Personally, I’m not a big fan of American accents. Most just sound kinda basic to me from being exposed too much through TV. I’m also a linguistic snob and I hate americanisms xD Canadian sounds super weird. I can cope with most American accents From the north though :eyes:

3 Likes

I hate my German accent when I speak English :eyes::sparkles::green_heart::no_mouth:

2 Likes

Yeah, I get it. I notice it more that I’m out of the US and I don’t hear them everywhere that it’s a bit grating. But I really don’t wanna pull a Madonna and get a fake “international” accent, so my valley girl English stays.

And yes, Canadian accents are funny. It’s uncanny valley, not quite American but not quite as exaggerated as the “aboot” stereotype.

When I think of the north, I think of the crazy accents of Minnesota (like in the movie/tv series Fargo) but that’s actually Midwestern, so maybe like northern accents like Boston and/or New York?

1 Like

Yeah Boston probably! New York sounds weird to me too xD

1 Like

I’ve heard people call my voice/accent annoying and some people say it’s good :joy: but I suck at impersonating other accents

My favourite accent though is probably Welsh :joy:

But for a different language I like the Russian accent

2 Likes

Aw, nooo! I can’t speak as many languages as you can, so I’d rather speak a bunch with little accents than speak 1.5 haha

2 Likes

But some people make fun of my accent and it’s really annoying and not nice so I’d rather only be able to speak English but without an accent :no_mouth::green_heart::eyes::sparkles:

3 Likes

But your voice is lovely :pleading_face:

3 Likes

But my accent isn’t :pleading_face::green_heart::eyes::sparkles:

2 Likes

Yes it is :pleading_face:

1 Like