Action and Fighting Scenes

Hey all! This thread may only be helpful for folks writing stories outside of Episode, since they already have the animations and kinda railroad you into specific types of action scenes.

But I wanted to just make a thread for anyone who needs (or wants) any help with writing action or fight scenes in their stories. It’s actually somewhat of a passion of mine, the action scenes are the ones I look the most forward to when I’m writing Kito. It’s why I designed my magic system so heavily around martial arts and close-range weapons combat!

So if you have an action scene in your story and you want a few pointers on how it could play out, or if you have a martial artist or combat-based character you need help with, I’d love to help!

If you want a couple examples of the stuff I especially love to incorporate in a fight scene style-wise personally, I’ll give a couple.

If you want to make a character an instant badd*ss without much effort, aikido is definitely the art to turn to. It’s all about redistribution and redirection, turning your opponent’s force and weight against them. It’s good stuff!

Aikido Gif

Aikido

If you wanna get flashy, wushu is probably where you wanna draw some inspiration from. It’s all about high-flying gymnastic kicks and flips in combat. It’s also a form of kung-fu, which means it also deals with fighting opponents much bigger than you and using their own weight and strength against them!

Wushu Gif

Wushu

Probably the more practical stuff for combat you’d want to go for boxing, muay thai and tae kwon do. Probably the stuff you’ve heard of already, and for good reason. Most self-defence classes use these arts! Muay thai is brutal, effective and very easy to learn the basics of. Though is you go a bit further, it teaches everything you’d need to know about brutal elbows and knees! Boxing is all about those punches, obviously, you’ll never need anything else if you know some good jabs, crosses, hooks and uppercuts. Tae kwon do is the opposite, all about those kicks! High-flying, grounded, practical, flashy. All of the kicks you’d ever need!

of course, I also know a good few things about sword fighting. Basic stuff about longswords, sword and shield and especially kendo/kenjiutsu (Japanese swords :D)

Sword fighting gifs

Kendo

Longsword%20Fencing%202

Hopefully, I can help a couple people out! I’m just a huge martial arts nerd, after all.

13 Likes

Just saw this, you know I might call on you when I actually bother to rewrite and publish one if my episode stories on wattpad, just for some added input.

2 Likes

I’ll always be around to talk about action!

2 Likes

Yay!! Muchas Gracias :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m keeping this open because my dyspraxic self sucks at action scenes and I’m gonna need help soon. It never hurts to keep help threads open

4 Likes

Hmm, the automatic bump will come a bit too late since someone could have closed it already but this is too useful to get closed and more people should see it so I will bump it myself!

1 Like

AUTOMATICALLY BUMPED 2 DAYS AGO

Bump. :white_heart:

1 Like

While I appreciate the effort, Tea, just close it next time. No-one cares :joy:

1 Like

Ok. :rofl::white_heart:

But Shanos wants it open :eyes:

2 Likes

She already has my perspective on this, she can just ask me my opinion on an action scene >.< We’re constantly talking anyway, lol

2 Likes

Lol okay that’s good then

You could just close it now, it is your thread :eyes:

2 Likes

Nah, I’ll wait the two months, just in case, but it’s already had multiple chances, not getting any more

2 Likes

Bumpity bump!

1 Like

You went and gave it another chance :joy:

Closed due to inactivity.