ADHD Reading club

Fellow readers,

I’ve always known I was a slow and uninterested reader, but I always felt guilty being a part of the RP community here and being so disinterested in reading anything. I could literally count the books I’ve read fully and liked on my hands. I’ve always tried reading more but I’ve often felt ashamed of not being able to read fast enough or being stuck on one page or not being able to picture something. Somebody here mentioned a reading slump and to be fair … That seemed to happen too often to count with me and getting out of one would take ages, until I got enough hyperfixation to actually power through a book.

I’ve just today figured maybe my untreated ADHD has something to do with it and after connecting the dots, I think forming a ADHD Reading club, where people who (don’t necessarily have ADHD) struggle to read but would like to read more, could feel free of judgement about how long it’s taking them to read books, could talk about their experiences with the books and could help each other with tips and ideas to do finish their goals of reading a certain amount of books a year. I also think, a lot of people who have ADHD, who simply loose interest in a book, especially a long one that takes it’s time describing rooms and objects, would keep them interested in certain books by people who are reading them at the same time chatting about it. I remember when a young me had plenty of ideas in her head and wanted to write a book, but for some reason couldn’t even write a single page. Now I could write paragraphs about a single character … I’ve come to realize the only difference is that on thsi website there’s a community and friendly people, and somebody to chat to while creating a character that are as creative and fun as you are … I can only imagine how different my reading skill would be if I had such encouragement from people who like me, struggle with one or more aspects of reading.

So what do you say guys? Would you mind if I created some sort of a book club for uninterested, slow or struggling readers? And if I did it on another page like goodreads, would you not mind if I posted about it here?

2 Likes

I’m bad at not finishing any books I start in recent time. I get bored with reading the book even if I’m enjoying the plot. Then it takes some convincing to go back an finishing reading it. So, sure I’m up for this idea.

2 Likes

That’s great to hear. I was thinking the simplest thing would be creating a few threads for it, but I’m still thinking of how to do it all …

2 Likes

You could bounce the ideas off of me if you need to.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m here for you. Bounce ideas or start a book club, share whatever you need/want to. (Hugs)

1 Like

Added some tags

2 Likes

Thanks Jass

1 Like