Advice for Planning the Plot for RPs and SGs

When creating an RP or an SG you have to think carefully about the plot. Just like when writing any other story, you have to do some world building and have a clear plan in mind for where you want the RP or SG to go.

SGs

For an SG in particular, planning the plot is very similar to writing a story. You have to create an outline of where you want your beginning middle and end to be, because if you don’t go into it with a plan, your SG will be less likely to succeed. However, you also have to plan out where you will need input from the creators of the characters. There has to be places within the plot that are flexible, while still moving the story forward.

RPs

In RPs, there is a lot more flexibility when it comes to planning, because it depends on how plot driven you want your RP to be. Some RPs have their overarching plot of why the characters are there and otherwise being up to the RPers, while other RPs are highly plot driven with certain objectives for the characters to move the plot along, and the rest lie in between.

Once you determine the initial plot of why the characters are there and some basic world building pertaining to the primary area of the RP, from there it depends on how heavily you want the RP to revolve around the plot.

If the plot is extremely important, you have to determine what goal the characters have, and how the characters are supposed to achieve that goal. However, you also have to allow for there to be activities for all of the characters, not just the most active and involved. You have to plot for specific events and how the actions of the characters could change the results for better or worse.

Overall, making certain you know why the characters are there and what the overall goal is, is the most important. The more you have planned with the plot the better you can guide the characters and influence their actions, while still allowing the RPers to put their own influence on the characters and their individual stories.

@RPers

19 Likes

Bookmarked! ^^

1 Like

Yay! I don’t know why but it makes me feel so successful when my posts get bookmarked!

1 Like

It’s a great thread seriously, now I have some sense of direction with my RP idea!

1 Like

Yay! Thanks. I’m glad it could help!

1 Like

What a great guide! Thank you, Brooke! :banana::sparkles:

1 Like

Thats really great advice. You have no idea how I hate any high school RPs because the owner of the RP usually just gives the setting of a high school and just lets the RP be led by basic boring interactions that lead nowhere and nobody remembers to go along with the plot.

Personally I don’t make an rp unless I thought the plot out and I feel kinda wholesome with it.
I usually come up with a very unprocessed and basic idea and just kind of try to think of rad ideas to make it more deep or interesting.
I get a lot of inspiration from tv, but other stuff can be sources of inspp like books or music or stuff in real life.
Throwing lots of ideas sometimes works too, but I think what helps me most is not to stress over it and kind of let it flow, if It doesn’t flow it’s not rad.

Personally, I always plan way too much.

I think something you should be prepared for is when your rp or Sg is going to be losing activity. Have a plot twist or event ready so people stay interested if needed.
planning too far in is a bad idea I’ve learned tho because sometimes it worth going along with the players and their likings.

1 Like

Yes, in an RP, plan the events but don’t get too intricate in the details.

1 Like