Amazing Extinct Creatures and More

This is a subject I love going over. I’m fascinated by the animals in the past because it’s a window for us to see what the past use to be like. Many of the extinct animals are ancestors to the animals we have in the present day. Some animals were thought to be extinct but miraculously showed back up on the radar in the past 50+ years. I will list below a handful of extinct animals and link an article with more animals on it.

• Tasmanian Tiger - is a small animal that used to live in Australia, New Guinea, and Tasmania. The Tasmanian Tiger went extinct during the 20th Century, around 1936, when the last captive animal died. It had fox and wolf features, which is why it was considered a marsupial wolf. It had these black stripes that went down its lower backside. The Tasmanian Tiger actually one of the few animals that had a pouch in its fur. Sadly, this species was hunted by European settlers because they were a threat to livestock. Also, the dingos were a natural rival that might have led to their extinction when gathering food. There have actually been sightings since 1936, but no one has captured any documented proof. So, for the time being, until they can catch proof, the species the Tasmanian Tiger remains extinct. I used Britannica to get my information on these animals. I would suggest you look at the article linked below for more animals like these.

• Steller’s Sea Cow - This actually a large species connected to the Manatees and Dugongs. It ranged from 9-10 meters (29-32 feet) long. The Sea Cow was found in the sea back in 1741, which had a known population of 2000 members, but they were hunted to extinction by 1768. The reason they were hunted was because of their meat which was apparently really good to eat. The hunters wouldn’t even harvest all the meat from the Sea cow, which ended up getting wasted. They were a good substitute for Seal meat. These friendly animals couldn’t submerge properly because of their large size, so they mainly stayed near the surface, making it easy to hunt. They only ate soft food like kelp and seaweed because of their small heads. This would have been one of the biggest non-predatory aquatic animals species if it was still around today’s times.

• Elephant Bird - is an animal that could reach up to 3 meters (10 feet) tall which it could weigh between 880-1400 pounds depending on its size. These birds were called Elephant Birds because they could haul off a baby elephant as a meal if they saw fit to do so. They use to live in Madagascar during the Pleistocene and Holocene eras. Their eggs could reach the size of 19-34 cm (7.6-13.4 inches) tall. The reason these birds probably went extinct was due to climate change, deforestation, hunting, and loss of vegetation for food.

• Irish Elk - is an extinct deer that is considered one of the largest species of deer in existence. This animal lived during the Pleistocene era as well with the latest fossil found carbon dating back to 7,700 years ago in Siberia. They were known for their humongous antlers that could grow to 4 meters (13 feet) across. Their antlers differed from present-day deer antlers due to the fact the antlers were a giant sheet with points poking out from the top. This deer went extinct due to starvation, the Ice Age, and many other factors around the time it was alive.

Information about the animals that are extinct:

Actual list of the animals and facts:

@Discussions

4 Likes

The elephant bird is almost as big as the Moa.

1 Like

Oh really? I need to look that one up.

1 Like

I think my favorite is either saber toothed tigers or wooly mammoths.

1 Like

Same here!

1 Like

Have you heard about dire wolves?

1 Like

Yeah, the Moa and the Haast Eagle were the BIGGEST birds in the world. Found in New Zealand about 200 years ago.

1 Like

Nice!

1 Like

Yep, I love dire wolves!

Tasmanian wolves! Ok, it’s debated as to weather they’re actually extinct, because I heard someone saw one, but who knows.

1 Like

That is very true! I really do hope that is the case though. It’s sad that they might actually be extinct. I saw some articles about those who had spotted the wolf in recent time.

1 Like

I think it’s cute.

1 Like

Yeah, I think so too!

1 Like

https://global-uploads.webflow.com/5b44edefca321a1e2d0c2aa6/5f44175da16d451fb54e6883_Dimensions-Animals-Marsupials-Thylacine-Tasmanian-Tiger-Size-Comparison.svg
Click the link. It’s so small.

1 Like

They are about the size of a large dog.

1 Like

I wonder if we could domesticate it.

1 Like

Not really sure it would be a good idea. Most wild animals do not make the best of pets or work animals even. They are still a species of wolves which means they have the unpredictable mannerism as most wolves do.

1 Like

Exactly. At least it’s not a saber toothed tiger. Definitely can’t domesticate that.

1 Like

Yep, that is very true.

What is it?

1 Like