Ancient civilizations in school

In my school, we got taught a bit about ancient civilizations but just a bit in history lessons. We soon moved on from them and spent years talking about who destroyed which country :upside_down_face: But those ancient civilizations were really interesting and I would have love to learn more about them!

Did you learn about ancient civilizations in school?
Do you think you’ve learned enough about them in school or do you wish you’d have spent more time on those topics?
Should students be taught about ancient civilizations in school?

3 Likes

Only a little bit.

I wish that we could have learned more about them, I really enjoyed them.

Yes! I think there’s interesting things to be learned from them.

1 Like

I learned about them in grade five, but the year after, they took it out of the curriculum.

I do wish we’d learned more and that there was some follow up in the grades prior (after grade six, you really only learn about Canadian history), especially since it’s something that interests me.

Totally. It’s really fun to learn about the lives they lead and to determine what we keep from those civilizations.

1 Like

Everything I’ve learned was from my own discovery.

Don’t care, if people want to know more they should research, I personally loved it. Learning about my culture from Aztec studies to the greatest civilization of Egypt, Rome amen Greece.

Yeah, basic information is actually beneficial. However if after this someone pronounces Quetzalcoatl as “Ketchupcats” I will commit murder.

1 Like

Yes, I learned a lot about different ancient civilizations during school. I believe the one that I learned about the most was Ancient Greece. We read many books about that time period.

I wish we could of learned more about each civilization. The one I wish I could learn more about is the Ancient Mayans. Their culture was extremely different then any other civilization during their time. It also peaked my interest as to why they just up disappeared, mixed with other civilizations, or even died out so quickly. It’s one of the biggest mysteries since they were active for 3,000 years before they disappeared.

Yes, I believe they should be taught about other civilizations. History should never be taken away. It’s the only way you learn to not make the mistakes that your kinsmen made in the past. Otherwise, we would be going in a cycle that never changes. It also gives us insight to how our ancestors were like in the past. We get to learn how they lived during a time that is older than even anyone else. It gives you a different perspective on how much the world has changed since then.

Does anyone have anything to say? Answer the questions that @Rainbow listed!

@Discussions

2 Likes

I really wish that schools taught more about this. Even in classes I’ve taken that were nominally about ancient history, we spent a lot more time looking at recent events and paying attention to colonialism without talking as much about what the society was really like before that

1 Like

Alright, let’s try this again.

Yes, I learned many different ones in school.

There are some I would of wished to learn about more such as Egypt, Greek Empire, Roman Empire, Persians, Mongolians and so on. I feel we went over certain ones to the point of redundancy.

Yes, history is something we need to learn about. If you want to understand the past then you need to learn the information about the past. Otherwise, you keep making the same d*mn mistake as your predecessors which isn’t a good thing most of the time. We are all human which is why its best to about the past. We don’t get to repeat their glory so we should at least learn about their great empires even if the history is bloodied, political, and other things like that. You learn life lessons of what to not do in history. The past isn’t pretty nor it isn’t ugly either. It’s a mixture of both that is connected into us because we are the future of that history.

@Discussions

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity