Anime Review Club

Welcome guys and gals to the Anime Review Club!

Together, we will watch some of an anime and discuss what we think of it. The schedule is currently planned at watching 3 episodes a week, although this is highly negotiable based on the availability or lack thereof of the members. At the end of the week, I’ll put up some polls about the show and we can discuss our general thoughts about those episodes (no spoilers if you watch further).

How will we decide what to watch? People will suggest stuff and I’ll use a wheel to pick a show. If no one suggests anything, then I will tyrannically pick a show that I feel like watching, so suggest stuff!

So, are you interested in joining?

@Oofalumpa :eyes:

6 Likes

I’m obviously joining. :eyes:

2 Likes

breathes This would honestly be such a fun idea, guys. Does anyone have any animes they suggest we review as a group? :star_struck:

1 Like

you should suggest some stuff too :eyes:

1 Like

Should we have a poll on what genre should the shows be in each week? :eyes:

1 Like

ehhh random show from the suggestions

1 Like

Ooh, lemme in.

2 Likes

of course :eyes:

1 Like

Yaay!

1 Like

I’d like to suggest Japan Sinks 2020. Haven’t watched it yet but heard a lot of buzz.

2 Likes

oooof totally forgot about this :joy:

i’ll set up a reminder for myself and force us three to watch something :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Is it too late to join? :pleading_face:

3 Likes

Never! We haven’t done anything yet because I’m a mess but I’ll make sure to tag you when we do

1 Like

Alrighty, everyone, time to start our first show!

Our first show is: Japan Sinks 2020

An ordinary family is put to the test as a series of massive earthquakes throw Japan into total mayhem. From director Masaaki Yuasa (Devilman Crybaby), the first anime adaptation of the bestselling science fiction novel by Sakyo Komatsu.

I’m asking that you watch the first three episodes for discussion in the next week, although you can watch more or less. I’ll be posting polls at the end of the week to discuss what we thought of the episodes!

It can be found on Netflix, here.

@Oofalumpa @GlitterFist @void

2 Likes

When you’ve already watched the whole series-

1 Like

when you delay posting something for like a month :upside_down_face:

you can still join us in talking about it!

2 Likes

One week later :joy:

Did you get around to watching the show?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

How would you rate the first episode?

0 voters

Who’s your favorite character?

• Ayumu
  • Mari
  • Go
  • Koichiro
  • Haruo
  • Nanami
  • Kite

0 voters

Did you like the show?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

And some questions :eyes:

• What do you think of the premise of the show?
  • What are your favorite and least favorite parts about the show?

@Oofalumpa @GlitterFist @void

1 Like

The premise, to me, is amazing. As a geology nerd, I’ve always been fascinated by tectonic plates, and my crazy psycho brain has wondered so many times what would happen if the plate movement under a hotspot like Japan moves faster than it possibly could and caused the whole country to be destroyed. The animation of the disaster segments is particular is exactly what I’ve always envisioned in my head, and all the pains they took to make everything scientifically accurate makes my heart flutter.

I think my least favorite part of the show was the whole kintsugi cult mini-arc. It just seemed so unnecessary, like it was just filler. Nothing really happened there to advance anything besides Haruo’s awesome DJ rave. I’d say my favorite part would be either Haruo’s death or KITE’s “death” (I want to believe one of my favorite characters survived because this show is so depressing-), because they both completed their character’s arcs so beautifully and the animation was gorgeous for both scenes.

1 Like

Added some tags :sparkles:

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity and because I don’t have the time to keep this going :sparkles: