Anyone else a Maladaptive Daydreamer? [MADD DISCUSSION] 💭

What is Maladaptive Daydreaming? Maladaptive Daydreaming Disorder or MADD For short.
Maladaptive daydreaming , also known as excessive daydreaming , is a disordered form of dissociative absorption associated with vivid and excessive fantasy activity that often involves elaborate and fanciful scenarios.

A breakdown/symptoms:

• highly vivid and immersive daydreams
  • abnormally long daydreams that are hard to escape
  • an inability to carry out daily tasks
  • daydreams triggered by external events or stimuli, such as watching a film or listening to music
  • sleep disruption and insomnia
  • repetitive and unconscious movements when daydreaming, such as rocking back and forth or twitching

What Maladaptive Daydreaming IS NOT and is sometimes confused with:

Schizophrenia
Dissociative Identity Disorder

The reason people confuse these two disorders with MADD Is because Maladaptive Daydreams daydream in a FORM of dissociation but is it not true dissociation. People with MADD know the difference between reality and fantasy. Which debunks both of those disorders. People with MADD know their daydreams aren’t real and can snap out of it.

What causes MADD:?

Maladaptive Daydreaming can be caused and is usually caused by childhood trauma, Typically bullying, household trauma, abuse, neglect, isolation. And various of other things. Mine probably stems from childhood isolation/loneliness and trauma from family and bullying.

Is MADD Cure-able and can you stop Maladaptive DayDreaming:?

Like any other mental illness (Although MADD is more of an condition than a disorder) it cannot be flat out cure-able, But it can be managed! Ways to stop/slow down your daydreams:

• Isolation - A ton of people with MADD have developed it due to immense isolation and are still in this state into adulthood such as myself please! Get out of the house, I’ve noticed with many people with this condition including myself diminishing the urge to daydream with social interaction which can be why the disorder is there in the first place.

• Channel it into different hobbies - Instead of spewing all your daydreams just in your mind alone try to take that creativity and write, animate, or even keep a journal. It’s a healthy mechanism to decrease your urge to daydream. I’m also attempting to create a story to channel my ideas there so try that too! :wink:

• Cold Turkey You do not have to go with this option but I’ve notice it work for others, Stopping themselves to daydream completely and shaking it off whenever they get the urge, Personally I could do it if I put my mind to it but I probably won’t go for the route myself, But if it works for you please go ahead!

If anyone has any questions and MADD, Please feel free to ask or share your experiences/opinions! :thought_balloon:

13 Likes

Very interesting and informative thread! I’m gonna move it to health and beauty since that’s were everything related to any condition including mental ones goes. And I’ve added a discussion tag :purple_heart:

4 Likes

Bump! Don’t have it but sound interesting. I am a big day dreamer tho.

1 Like

Bump!

Thank you!

I could be- I already am… yikes…

1 Like

It’s okay! I understand where your coming from. It’s such a new mental condition that if you go to a physiatrist 9 times out of 10 they won’t be able to diagnose you. But I matched majority of the symptoms

2 Likes

Thing is… it’s also confused for other mental disorders which sucks.

1 Like

Yes omg!! I get this a lot!!

1 Like

Yesss I made sure to list that it is NOT A disorder to which you don’t know if it’s real or not

1 Like

Excellent.

1 Like

Added mental health tag! :sparkles:

This seems like a really interesting topic, and it’s always good to have more useful information out there about mental health! Does anyone else here have any experiences with MADD?

1 Like

Bump!

Interesting. I do repetitive movements also, but I don’t have MADD

1 Like

I rub my collarbone, crack my neck, mess with my hair, pace, move my head around and crack my neck. People probably think I’m crazy.

1 Like

Really? Is it frequent, repetitive or gets in the way of daily tasks

It’s definitely repetitive. Doesn’t really get in the way.

1 Like

Might just be a quirk!

I’m autistic, it’s called Stimming

Ahhh okay, Makes sense!