Are self-taught artists really self-taught?

I think they aren’t really self-taught because even if they practice and draw paintings on their own but they obviously learn some techniques from other people and they will have watched tutorials on YouTube, reading, or downloading anything related to art so they aren’t really self-taught by themselves.

What do you think, @/Artists

3 Likes

I mean… self taught just means that you don’t go through formal training. If you self teach yourself algebra, you’re still teaching yourself techniques that other people have come up with. If you self teach yourself an instrument, same thing. So yes.

If you apply this logic to literally anything self-taught then nothing is self-taught.

3 Likes

Self-taught artists usually label themselves “self-taught” if they have never learned art professionally. Some of these artists find their resources through YouTube tutorials etc. and incorporate what they learned in their art. They seek and gain knowledge on their own which makes them self-taught.

Exactly. Let’s say you’re “self-studying” for the SATs. Finding online resources through KhanAcademy or YouTube does not mean you’re not self-studying.

2 Likes

You are profession to me pls teach :eye::pray:t3::eye:

1 Like

No you shreeey pls giv editing skillz :pleading_face::point_right::point_left:

Yeah, I think so :eyes:

I think self-taught is a lot more about being self motivated and not doing it through school, although some people never really teach themselves with stuff like tutorials

1 Like

Depends on how you define self taught :eyes::eyes::green_heart:

Yes.

Totally agree with this ^^^ Well said!

What are your thoughts on this, @WolfGamerGirl37?

1 Like

Yes and No, would be what I would say. Yes, you are learning other peoples techniques but that’s how everyone learns in art whether it’s self taught or formally taught. Once you feel comfortable enough with your drawing as a self-taught artist you start making your own original style that suits you. You make your own style after you learn from other’s work. I mean when you are in a classroom you are working from a textbook made by other artist. Using the techniques they came up with. So, there isn’t much of a difference in the way it goes.

1 Like

Yeah, I can get behind that too. That’s true.

1 Like

Yeah, I also still agree with Star as well but you have to look at it both ways.

1 Like

Yeah, yeah, that’s true.

1 Like

Yep!

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity