At what age should teenagers be allowed to leave school?

So here, you’re allowed to leave school after 9 years of school, so at the age of 15/16. Sometimes I’m not sure if that’s an appropriate age to be allowed to leave school because, after that, we learned a lot in school about politics and important life stuff.

At what age should teenagers be allowed to leave school?

1 Like

Added #teenager tag!

I’m not so sure, but I’m gonna say 16 or 17 or 18 because those are the age when you leave high school which I believe is enough to get into some opportunities?

1 Like

So, I’ve heard one of my Mum’s friends left school at 14 for some reason and I think that’s way too early. I mean, at 14 I barely learned anything in school that could help me in life. I just got a lot of information on things I needed for later years in school :sweat_smile:

17-18. I think it’s vital you get your education that you do before those ages. Around here senior year isn’t really the hardest, so yes, I think people can choose then whether they think they need to spend the rest of their time in school for the rest of it.

What do you think though, @discussions? Do you think teenagers should even be allowed to leave school at all?

2 Likes

I think that 17-18 is when teenagers should be allowed to leave school. I feel that if they leave any earlier, it’s harmful.

1 Like

I think 16 is a good age, ‘cause from 16 you’re only doing elected classes anyway. So it is their choice and maybe leaving is better than being distracting and stopping other people’s education.
Here in New Zealand, its 16, or even 15 if you’re leave to do a trade course.

2 Likes

Yes, we have trade schools we can go to in Junior year-Senior. I think 16 is actually a good age too. :thinking:

3 Likes

It’s a good age for proper independence too. Heck, my grandma and her sister had their own (rented) place and 15/16.

2 Likes

Yes, sadly though, much people actually aren’t mature even at the latest ages you’ll be in school. But to each their own. I think if you wanna do it at 16 the youngest, there should be more evaluation than 17-18.

2 Likes

That’s not necessarily true, not at all. In terms of their own lives and independence, 16 year old teens can be very mature. Yes, they still do dumb sh!t, but so do older teens too, and so do twenty-year-old. Like, you’re still learning, doesn’t mean you can’t decide for yourself and your life.
Yes, there are some who aren’t very mature but many are, and you can’t judge a few of them on every single one.

1 Like

Ehehe…me.

2 Likes

I’m saying they aren’t mature enough to actually do something like that. That’s why they need to be more evaluated. In general, they should be. :man_shrugging:

Yes, people at age twenty prolly aren’t smart enough sometimes to be living on their own but it’s legal that they can fail on their own.

No hate to anyone, it’s just when you’re still in highschool you’re still taking those very important classes like finance, culinary, and others. That’s why it’s important to evaluate them, talk to them, and approve it. In which doesn’t need to happen if they’re 18, obviously.

But 16 is still young.

So like emancipation, it’s important to be evaluated about how able you are to just stop schooling. Cos it already can have a bad rep.

Exactly, they’re still in high school and we discussing whether they can leave school, not drink or even vote… but that’s a whole other topic for another time. We’ve been studying at school since we were 5 years old and after 11 years of schooling, you know what school is like. Yes, it is true that many teens at that age have no idea what they want to do or even what they want to study, which is understandable, it’s a huge decision. BUT most, if not all, teens know how they feel about school and if they want to stay.

I would say that it should be a group decision with their guardians but that’s not true either 'cause teens should never be forced into it. This is the beginning of their own life and it’s one of the first big decision they have to start learning about and making for themselves.

1 Like

I don’t think it should be about age, people should be able to leave school once they’ve learned the basics and if they’re able to do something outside of school. Let me explain.

I believe it’s wrong to choose an “age” where teens should be able to leave school. There shouldn’t be a “specific age”. Alot of teens are much more mature then others, there’s a big difference between your actual age and your “mental” age.

However, if a teenager is mature enough and has a good IQ, it doesn’t mean that the teen should be granted the ability to leave school. Sure, being smart and mature is exactly what you need if you’re planning to leave school, but what if those teens, end up doing that and then find themselves not contributing to society? It could be hard for them to get a job, because they don’t have experience. So being mature and smart are prerequisites i’d say, but even then, teenagers shouldn’t have the ability to leave school unless they’re mature and smart as I mentionned previously and they are able to do something outside of school. Something worthwile. In most cases, more time of education in school would be a better “investment” then doing something else.

I’ll give a few examples:
a) Henry is a genius, he’s 15, yet he’s very wise. He wants to leave school to start his own tech company and he is confident he can make it work. He has built experience over a few years, and he usually achieves everything he puts his mind to.

Henry should be granted the ability to leave school.

b) John is 16, all his classmates know him as the “smart guy”. His parents are proud of him and view him as an exceptional child. Some would say he’s charming.

John should probably not be granted the ability to leave school, although he seems capable of doing something else other then focusing on education, it’d be much better for him to spend a few extra years in school before starting his career.

1 Like

as @phlegmatic said, you’re taking important classes in school, classes that are somewhat essential to starting your adult life (outside of school), so in most cases it’s more beneficial to stay in school unless you’re someone like a) henry

imo it should be a process of evaluation, not a specific age

1 Like

Ye.

1 Like

I think age is a subjective criterion to decide when someone should leave school. I’ve had 16-17 year olds leave school because they enrolled early on when they were small (some of them even skipped classes because of being smart) and even 19-20 year olds cuz they enrolled later on or missed a few grades in between.

But it’s H I G H L Y recommended that you complete your school till 10th grade (at least in my country) and then you can decide whatever you want to do.

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity