At what age should teenagers leave home?

At the end of the day, it’s all about communication. Communicating and setting boundaries is important, and making sure both parties have come to and reached an agreement is rad :sunglasses:

What do you think @Discussions?

5 Likes

I was maybe 11/12? When I was younger, if I was sick and my parents had to go somewhere, I would have small periods of time where I am alone in the house until a parent gets home. Then it got longer. We would only have a babysitter when they were out for the night, the only day of the year we have a baby sitter

2 Likes

I first thought you meant “leave home” as in moving out not just go somewhere outside of the home :rofl:
It’s a bit hard to say as it can kind of depend on the situation, for example:

Going to to your friends house who only lives a couple of blocks away is way different than going to an illegal rave in the middle of the woods or traveling abroad to another country or state.

In general I don’t think it’s necessarily a matter of age, but more about how responsible and mature said teen is and that they can be trusted to not do certain things they know they shouldn’t do.

2 Likes

Ahh when I was like 13 my Dad freaked the hell out because I said I wanted to meet a boy (now my ex) in the park, he said he didn’t like our “arrangement” despite the fact it had been nicely arranged, so after that debacle it just became clear that I wasn’t gonna be allowed to leave the house without meeting incredibly strict requirements. I think communication and stuff are amazing, I always communicate on the rare occasion I do leave the house to see friends but there was a period of years where I didn’t meet anyone outside of school, I had a 14 month relationship that took place in school and on the bus journey home :upside_down_face:

By the time I was 16 I pretty much decided enough was enough and I did meet a boy outside of school for one raddd day but never saw him again after :thinking: now if I wanna meet someone I just will but my parents still want to know every detail. I was 18 for @/Izuku’s birthday and my Mum still demanded I gave her Izu’s Mum’s phone number, which I just didn’t do.

3 Likes

Ooh geez your mom sounds very controlling. I get that she would want to know who you hang-out with, but going as far as asking anyone for their mothers phone number is a bit odd? Especially when you’re considerd a legal adult and it’s just for simple birthday party.

3 Likes

They should be able to move into their own home when it’s allowed in their state and they are financially stable
As for leaving them at home, depends on who.
As for going out with friends, 13, 14, or perhaps 15. Depends on the person, the guardian and their friends

Added a tag :smiley_cat:

Closed due to inactivity