Autotune vs Tuning

• What is Auto-tune?

Auto-Tune is an audio processor which uses a proprietary device to measure and alter pitch in vocal and instrumental music recording and performances. It was originally intended to disguise or correct off-key inaccuracies, allowing vocal tracks to be perfectly tuned despite originally being slightly off-pitch.

• What is tuning?

Tuning is the process of adjusting the pitch of one or many tones from musical instruments to establish typical intervals between these tones. The term " out of tune " refers to a pitch/tone that is either too high sharp or too low flat in relation to a given reference pitch. While an instrument might be in tune relative to its own range of notes, it may not be considered ā€˜in tuneā€™ if it does not match the chosen reference pitch. Some instruments become ā€˜out of tuneā€™ with temperature, humidity, damage, or just time, and must be readjusted or repaired.

Iā€™ve never used auto-tune before but I know about it and certain softwareā€™s I have do have that feature.

I definitely know about tuning because I do play instruments such as guitar and I have to tune the strings in order to get the correct pitch I want because If one string is off, it doesnā€™t sound good.

Some questions:

• What are your thoughts on autotune and tuning?
  • Have you ever played an instrument before that requires tuning it to get the correct pitch? (Preferably stringed instruments)
  • Have you ever use auto-tune before?
  • If not, would you ever consider it?
1 Like

I think people have alot of misconceptions about what auto tune is, itā€™s not ā€œcheatingā€ people who use it can probably sing very well but when youā€™re making music you want it to sound as good as possible so people enjoy it, it also means live the artist gets to provide something more unique, I always see people say ā€œthis person uses autotune so they probably suck liveā€ when as a matter of fact there are alot of artists today that use autotune and still sound good live/without autotune.

As for tuning I have to tune my bass :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Yes I totally agree!

Ayyy :star_struck:
I have a bass, well itā€™s not mine, itā€™s my Dadā€™s own and itā€™s left handed so I canā€™t play it and I donā€™t really know how to play bass because Iā€™ve never learned itā€¦
But Iā€™m really great at guitar :partying_face::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yeah people think itā€™s bad and not ā€œrealā€ talent. I think what they refer to is actually tuning :thinking:

Autotune just makes your music sound pleasing and flawless imo

1 Like

YIKES! I canā€™t stand auto-tune. What do you think of it, @Meekepeek?

1 Like

itā€™s okay if they do it right.

Is it? Really though?

1 Like

I really dislike autotune because for some reason it just makes the hair on my skin stand. It justā€¦ it hurts my ear. But tuning is essential.

Well, Iā€™m fairly sure all instruments need to be tuned at some point. But if youā€™re talking about instruments that you tune yourself, all the ones I played require that.

No to both these questions, I actually would rather sing off-pitch than with autotune.

1 Like

yes, because when done properly, you donā€™t know.

1 Like

Only some I can stand once itā€™s done right and not overused :star_struck:

2 Likes

Iā€™d be curious to see an example of that, if you have one. :yellow_heart: I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever missed autotune.

2 Likes

The vast majority of artists these days use autotune trust me

2 Likes

Yes, but thatā€™s it -I tend to stick with music from before, letā€™s say, 2000s because autotune, even if itā€™s very slight, is one of the few things that gets on my nerves very quickly (amongst other reasons). : )

Honestly this is a pretty good read

@unsungcheerio Chidimma, what do you think of this ? :sparkles:

1 Like

Omg I feel so special I got tagged idk why but :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

But autotuningā€¦ ehhhhhh, a lot of the times it sounds mediocre, I think thereā€™ve been a few occasions where I didnā€™t mind it though.
I have no opinions on tuning I mean itā€™s just something thatā€™s a part of instruments

Not yetttā€¦ I mean, with the clarinet the notes can sound a bit flat sometimes so like you have to tune it in the sense where you listen to like the note and play it until it sounds properly

I donā€™t know how to and I donā€™t think Iā€™d learn aha Iā€™d rather just try to sing it as well as I can, even if it comes out sounding subpar which is precisely what that every part harmony of nonstop I did came out as :laughing:

2 Likes

Honestly, listen to every artist live and recorded, they all get autotuned.

Iā€™m a music producer and this interests me. I play piano mainly and a little on guitar. If you have something like a grand piano or a guitar or any other instrument which needs tuning, then def get it tuned as it makes all the difference.

I always think about auto tuning as robotic. It can only be done by technology. Tuning can be done by humans :woman_shrugging:

Autotune in music doesnā€™t really bother me, as long as it isnā€™t so heavy that the singer actually loses their identity and their voice sounds generic and unrecognizable.

Tuning a violin is always a pain lol. I stopped playing years ago tho. Like, if you donā€™t play a stringed instrument or just instruments in general then you probably donā€™t know that weather changes can damage the violin/get it really out of tune. Which sucks lol. And then sometimes when you try to tune it yourself the pegs just wonā€™t go, the little ones as well as the big ones. Because of the weather and also because of the tension probably, if you try to turn them youā€™re at risk for actually breaking it.
Iā€™m playing piano as well now and I recently got a piano with strings (before I had like an electronic keyboard) so now I have to get it tuned. Like, I canā€™t play it without it being tuned cuz it makes me nauseous lol. Weird, ik.
I like some autotune. To me, it shouldnā€™t sound obvious. Like if I know youā€™re using autotune then Iā€™m probably not gonna like the sound of the music. It isnā€™t bad itā€™s just that I donā€™t like the sound. If I was a singer Iā€™d probably use it tho, just because I would want more options creatively to express myself and the music.
I donā€™t like when people are like, ā€œX sounds terrible liveā€ or something when the person is just singing in their roomā€¦ Like, when youā€™re actually in a music studio making your songs youā€™re gonna sound way better than you might otherwise because you get way more (or the producer does) control on how it actually comes out.