So this argument is dumb, we all know it is Anime. But since it’s so overdone, I’m going to add some spice

• The Dragon Prince is Anime
  • RWBY is Anime
  • Voltron is Anime
  • Neo Yokio is a masterpiece but not anime
  • Thunderbolt Fantasy is Anime
  • Cory in the House is Anime
  • Pingu is the best anime
  • Edd, Ed n’ Eddy is an undiscovered hidden gem anime

Let’s fight over this and pretend Shannii Writes is MyAnimeList or Reddit

4 Likes

:no_mouth:

1 Like

They’re clearly anime. If an animated programme is done in the style of Japanese anime, it’s ANIME

3 Likes

Especially Pingu.

3 Likes

Pingu: omae wa mou… n00t de iru

Pingu’s little brother: nAnI?!

Dies

4 Likes

Don’t forget Big Time Rush. That’s a pretty good anime.

2 Likes

I’m bumping this again

1 Like

On a serious note: what separates anime from cartoons? Is it style?

2 Likes

It’s interesting because people still class panty and stocking as anime. So maybe it’s demographic? Though thst would be wide as well, wide and vague. So I’m honestly not entirely sure.

It may be a mix of style, culture and other factors that go into making what we recognise as ‘anime’

2 Likes

Personally, I consider it to be anything that uses the quintessential Japanese Anime/Manga art style as its basis. That means that Japan does produce cartoons, too, in my opinion

2 Likes

Yeah, I think that would be a good way to classify it as well. Though I can see other arguments? I kinda agree with some of them?

But the main one that makes no sense is the “anime is animated media written, animated and produced in Japan with a Japanese audience in mind”. This makes no sense for so many reasons. For starters, a massive amount of anime is made for a global audience these days, but more importantly, most anime is outsourced and animated in Korea

2 Likes

And if we’re leaning with the Japanese people explaining what anime actually is, it’s likely that they’d call a lot more things “anime” than we do!

2 Likes

What anime me means?

Anime (US: /ˈænəˌmeɪ/, UK: /ˈænɪˌmeɪ/) (Japanese: アニメ Hepburn: anime , [aɲime] ( listen), plural: anime ) is hand-drawn and computer animation originating from or associated with Japan. The word anime is the Japanese term for animation, which means all forms of animated media

3 Likes

Spongebob = anime confirmed

2 Likes

So I don’t entirely disagree or agree with you, mainly because of what is said by @line123462 already.

The meaning of the word Anime has different connotations in the West and in Japan. In the West - more specifically, in English speaking countries - animation is a general term that means*all animated media which would also include claymation, cartoons and even GIFS. “Anime” is a Japanese colloquialism derived from the root English word “animation.
Causing to them to have the same definition, but are meant for their own respective countries.

After Japanese animated works crossed over to Western audiences, the word “Anime” has become more of a loanword in English for animated works from that country, especially those with a certain style we in the West would describe as “Anime”. The meaning has thus been a bit altered to fit the English language more since the word cartoon/animation already existed.

Avatar is a show created and designed in the West. Yes, it has Asian influences, and it undeniably took inspiration from anime, but it is a cartoon nonetheless. Also saying that the style of the show would still match the so-called “Anime” style seen in Japan. I would still have to disagree agree with you on that because even though Anime technically doesn’t have a style.If you compare to shows that westerners mainly associate with" Anime" (shows like Sailor Moon and Bleach, for example)Avatar in comparison is still more the cartoony side, in my opinion.

Also if your reasoning for thinking that Avatar is Anime because it’s being animated in Korea, I would still disagree with that because that would mean you have to find Family Guy a very American cartoon, Anime as well.

This answer took longer too write than expected and I’m tired now :sleeping:

4 Likes

Also part of the reason why I partly agreed is that in Japan people can call Disney shows and movies for example anime as well .Since it’s just a word they use for both their own and for foreign-made animated media

2 Likes

I agree with absolutely everything you’ve said.

I would describe the western use of the word anime as more akin to an artistic ‘movement’ personally. Definitely not a genre or specific style. Since usage of words can change drastically in very short amounts of time. But nothing you said is wrong. In fact, it’s all factually true.

Also I get irked when people say Avatar is just like shows like Stephen Universe. It’s. It’s really not, guys. Stop. You didn’t say anything like that I just had to get it off my chest

3 Likes

No, worries I get what you mean. It usually rubs me the wrong way when people think all cartoons are the same and are only meant for children. Some people think every cartoon is like Spongebob and therefor always childish and loud. While they seem to rarely acknowledging that there are cartoons made for all ages and sometimes meant for only adults as well.

No offense to Spongebob though :joy:

2 Likes

Definitely no offense to Spongebob, I’d rather watch that than Stephen Universe personally xD And yeah, that’s what irritates me, exactly q.q

2 Likes