Based-of Characters vs Made-up Characters

When making your character, there are sometimes RP or sg where you have to use based-of characters and others where you have free choice in your character.

Here are some personal pros and cons of both that may help spice up a nice little conversation about the two and which one you prefer.

I personally prefer made-up characters because that’s what I’m good at. Especially when I’m allowed to make a whole different race or species with their own belief, traditions, customs, etc. That’s where my creativity comes from.

Made-up characters pros and Cons:
Pros:
  • You have all the freedom to do what you want.
  • You can make a character that’s very unique and close to you.
  • You spent more time on your character so you make a connection to them much faster.
Cons
  • free options can be hard because you have so many options.
  • hard to balance out.
  • you need to take more time on them.

Based-of Characters pros and cons
Pros:
  • You have a guideline while making your character.
  • You don’t need as much time to create them.
  • You have a lot of information to get into a character more.
Cons:
  • People know your character’s story (or at least a part of it)
  • They know your character/ the world and their personality/ atmosphere.
  • There’s always a certain style you have to match that is similar to that of what it’s based off.

Seeing how I love helping people with this I also want to give some free tips that may help with either one of them (though like I said, I am better at making made-up characters).

Made-up Chatacters
Funny habits

When you make your own character, I always try to think about things they do or learned while growing up. it helps to reflect on what your country/neighborhood/friends/family have done that made you the person you are today. everyone has little habits they do, for example, My family doesn’t flush the toilet at night unless it’s a big delivery so we don’t wake others up (because noisy), so when I spend the night at someone else’s house, I always wonder if I should flush or not.

Or something that we do in our country, is that we only eat a warm meal once a day. so if you eat warm during lunch, we eat bread as dinner. it’s an unwritten rule but everyone in the Netherlands who doesn’t have a close international background should know.

These are some examples of what small habits can do.

Fantasy characters

This is something I always do when I make a fantasy character:

1. Gender and fc.
    Knowing their fc and gender makes it easier to know what kind of ceature I’m making.

2. Rules, beliefs, traditions, customs, etc.
    This is the EASIEST way to give your character strengths and weaknesses. For example, my character Charlia from Westeria is a creature known as the ‘guardians of the land’ as they protect the plants and creatures that can’t do this alone. However, since she’s supposed to protect all that’s alive, she’s not allowed to kill…but she’s fighting in a war.

3. Type of magic (if able to)
    The most basic way to explain is, they need to have a moment they run out of magic, so is their magic generated by their own body, making them run out of power the same way we get tired while being active, or is it from its surroundings, meaning that for example, a fire mage has no hear source, they can’t use magic.

Based-of
Avoid what has been done

A good example is FTD. Everyone knows the fairytail of snow white and there are a bunch of different versions. To make it interesting for those you’re writing with, it’s a real challange to actually find a way those well known characters in a way that they haven’t been seen before:

• Sleeping Beauty was the evil queen/dictator and Maleficent actually safed the kingdom.
  • Elsa is the only one who can save the world from global warming.
  • Etc. Be creative!
Show your version

This is very close to the other, but by playing your version of that character, you can sometimes show a new side these well known characters.
For example:
Azula (avatar): Evil or a neglected child who wants to be seen by people.
Scar (Lion King): Evil or a born leader who wasn’t given the chance to show his talent.

Sometimes you can suddenly give hated characters compassion by showing a different side to them.

What about you @RPers?

Do you prefer made-up characters or Based-of?
Why do you prefer that one?
Are there any tips you could give those who struggle with your preference?
What are some pros and cons you can come up with for both?
and what would you say to convince someone who like the other one more to try and switch sizes
(just for fun obviously)

These are all opinions so please do respect that not everyone will agree with you and you won’t agree with everyone. :innocent:

3 Likes

Come to think of it, tho I don’t like characters that are like alters of existing characters, I do take some ideas from existing characters. I recently made my very first ‘non-congenital restricted’ based off a person I met during my study.

I guess there’s a difference between ‘based-off’, ‘Alternative’ and made up. But I still prefer made up or based of over alternative characters.

2 Likes

How much are based off characters different from Alters tho?

1 Like

I would say it’s based of when you take an specific element and build a character around that.

Basically FTD rp characters are based of but characters from Las Levendas were alters.

1 Like

So for you it would be:
Loraine is made up
Aquarius is based of

1 Like

Ooh!
So I prefer both!

1 Like

Is there one you find easier to make?
For example the zodiac or Shaila or Zara?

1 Like