Beauty trends of ancient civilizations

Beauty has changed a lot, even through the course of this decade, so what were the trends of ancient civilizations? I’ve compiled a list of the ones I could find, but if there are any missed or you’d like to add, feel free to share them!

Ancient Egypt

• The people of Egypt were conscious of beauty
  • Two main forms of eye makeup - grepond eye paint and black kohl
  • Noble women were known to pale their skin with powders and creams

China

• Chinese people began to stain their fingernails with gum arabic, gelatin, beeswax and egg white around 3000 B.C.
  • Women painted small flowers on their foreheads

Mongolia

• Women from royal families painted red spots on the center of their cheeks right under their eyes

Japan

• Geisha wore lipstick made of crushed safflower petals. They used this on their eyebrows and edges of their eyes, as well as their lips
  • Sticks of bintsuke was used as a makeup base

Ancient Greece

• Women brightened their lips and cheeks with red-coloured pastes and lipsticks made with red iron oxide and ochre clay or olive oil and beeswax
  • Men and women in Ancient Greece used dark powder to connect their eyebrows, making a unibrow

Ancient Rome

• Light pink on the cheeks was considered to be attractive
  • Kohl was the main item in eye make up
  • Coloured eyeshadow was used to accentuate the eyes
  • The romans preferred dark eyebrows that almost met in the centre

Would you want to wear any of these make up trends?

8 Likes

Oooh this is really cool.

Perhaps, but definitely with less-toxic, modern supplies.

3 Likes

It’s really interesting to know this facts! When it cokes to history or beauty, I know nothing about them. :eyes:

The only thing know is Queen Elizabeth constantly applying mercury on her face. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity