Best Character Introductions

A character’s introduction is a key factor in whether or not the reader will love or hate the character. In your opinion, what are the best character introductions from books?

2 Likes

I liked the intros in “When we Wuz Famous” “Torn Away” “And then she Was Gone” and there are a few more I can’t remember the title of lol.

1 Like

Okay, so, I’m currently reading The song of Achilles and I’m already obsessed with the book. 10/10 would recommend! And I really love how Achilles was introduced. It’s not this one specific line or first scene with him, it’s just everything that happens at the beginning with him and how the writer is describing him as this calm person. Same with Patroclus - I love how Miller set the scene and immediately showed he is this “weak” character we can see his father doesn’t like from the very first lines of the book.

I’m going to tag @Bookworms here. What are some of the best character introductions from books, in your opinion?

2 Likes

Okay, here are some…

Skulduggery Pleasant
The gentleman in the tan overcoat. He was standing under the shade of a large tree, away from the crowd, the coat buttoned up all the way despite the warmth of the afternoon. A scarf was wrapped around the lower half of his face and even from her position on the far side of the grave, Stephanie could make out the wild and frizzy hair that escaped from the wide-brimmed hat he wore low over his gigantic sunglasses. She watched him, intrigued by his appearance. And then, like he knew he was being observed, he turned and walked back through the rows of headstones, and disappeared from sight.

(I always laugh at this one - from Skulduggery Pleasant)
Stephanie could see the greed seep into the watery yes of her father’s older brother, a horrible little man called Fergus, as he nodded sadly and spoke sombrely and pocketed the silverware when he through no one was looking.
Fergus’s wife was a thoroughly dislikeable, sharp-featured woman named Beryl. She drifted through the crowd, deep in unconvincing grief, prying for gossip and digging for scandal. Her daughters did their best to ignore Stephanie. Carol and Crystal were twins, fifteen years old, and as sour and vindictive as their parents.

I’m not even sure what makes a good character introduction :thinking: @Bookworms Any good examples?

Fixed a tag and emoji.

And I have to say, I like the way we are introduced to Luna Lovegood. It’s so in her character!