Best Horror Games

So I’m going to go over Horror Video games. These will be the ones I have come across and new games I have not tried yet. I do love playing the darker games when I get the chance. There are some games I can’t finish because they were too dark back when I was younger. I mainly play games on the computer and Xbox console when growing up. I will talk about other platform games here.

Game list

I like playing horror games if I get the chance. The thrill of playing them makes the end of the worth it all time spent on it. Some games have not been worth it but I won’t be going into those on this thread. Laptops are my main go-to gaming platform since I’m on the computer all the time. Some of the games I go over will be older but if you want to try them out then go ahead! They were fun when I played them!

First Game: Last Half of Darkness Series

Game Poster Images

image imageimage

Thoughts about the Game

So I stumbled on this lovely horror game series back when I was very young. I started the second game without realizing it when I first played it. It’s a point and clicks game that is similar to Hidden Object games that you find on Big Fish Games, Wildtangent and so on. These games aren’t actually on those websites though due to them being a little bit different than your average hidden object and puzzle game. I sadly never got to finish the game because I lost the code you needed to play since well back then you needed them for games. Just like with The Sims if you don’t have the code you have to buy a whole new game again unless you get another code from the game creators. The game follows storylines about vampires, monsters, and voodoo rituals. This is one of the few series I would not mind replaying again if I got the chance to. The second game creeped me out when I started to play it. It was made very well for its time. I might try to buy the series and test it out on my computer.

Game Order & Plots
  1. Last half of Darkness: Shadows of the Servants (2005)
Summary

The dark voices carry a young girl’s soul to the gates of this New Orleans estate. Upon the weight of the “Servant’s” breath, darkness fills the twisted corridors of this deserted house. Now only secrets fill the hundreds of empty graves that nearly surround the entire estate. Through the years, pieces of a mystery have been revealed by an unfortunate few who have stumbled upon this house. A mystery that should perhaps stay buried.

Game Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOECGbozzqI

1. Last Half of Darkness: Beyond the Spirits Eye (2007)
Summary

Beyond the Spirit’s Eye sends players to the deserted town of Shadowcrest, whose inhabitants long ago fell victim to the curse of a black jewel known as the Eye of Arcarous. Brought back by Captain Marcos on his last voyage, the Eye drove Marcos “mad with a bloodthirsty hunger for the living. It was not long before stories of bodies found dead and drained of their blood filled the newspapers along with rumors of a ‘vampire’ killer.”

Game Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx5F92BLKJM

1. Last Half of Darkness: Tomb of Zojir (2009
Summary

A mysterious book is found in the tiny town of Shadowcrest. Perhaps a book that should never have been opened, a book with pages that chart the passage to the Isle of the Dead… Shrouded among fog and lore, legends speak of strange ghosts that live there and creatures of the dead hiding in the shadows, feeding on sailors foolish enough to beach upon the dark shores. Although stories of great treasure surround the island, it is also rumored that the isle holds the origin for a great darkness inside an ancient temple built centuries ago. Once again your experience in the dark arts and science may be useful for uncovering the true origin of the last half of darkness.

Game Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T41FKVpOauE

1. Last Half of Darkness: Society of the Serpent Moon (2011)
Summary

You receive a strange package with a scrawled note, a mysterious map and your fiancee’s ring with blood on it! The return address on the package reveals it came from Antibes… where only a few days earlier she was sent to write and investigate a story on a series of vampire-like murders that have plagued the dark streets and alleys of the tiny European town. Your journey follows the path of clues left behind by your missing girlfriend, and along the way, you will have to solve an ancient mystery and the source of evil causing the local townsfolk to turn into a rare breed of savage night-thirsty murderers.

Game Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jr7dSyMPwc

Second Game: Blair Witch (2019)

Game Poster

Thoughts about the Game

Alright, I just learned that this game was even made and going by a review on the game based on Blair Witch movies always about off-screen scares which made the horror of the show better. Similar to Birdbox, what you can’t see turns into something even scarier. The game becomes more of a psychological thriller than your average horror game. The game surrounds two characters the ex-cop Ellis and his dog Bullet. The game uses different camera angles and flashbacks of the main characters’ past along with hallucinations that throw your perspective of the game off. The reason this game is considered a full horror game is because the dog makes it less scary then it should be seen.

Game Plot

It’s in 1996. A young boy disappears in the Black Hills Forest near Burkittsville, Maryland. As Ellis, a former police officer with a troubled past, you join the search. What starts as an ordinary investigation soon turns into an endless nightmare as you confront your fears and the Blair Witch, a mysterious force that haunts the woods… Blair Witch is a first-person, story-driven psychological horror game based on the cinematic lore of Blair Witch.

Third Game: Pathologic 2 (2019)

Game Poster

Thoughts about the Game

Never played this game before so I’m going by a review that someone wrote. So this game is an RPG game that is open world. This game is about how a plague has broken out in a rural town where you have to figure out who killed your father. On top of that, your alleged sister is somewhere in the town but you have no idea if she is behind the events that happened. It kind of brings in a Child of the Corn vibe with the fact that the children in the town are key to getting to the truth. You have to play by their rules which you only have 12 days to get to the bottom of the case. It’s considered one of the best horror PC games to have been made.

Game Plot

Pathologic 2 is an open-world survival thriller set in a town that’s being consumed by a deadly plague. Face the realities of a collapsing society as you make difficult choices in seemingly lose-lose situations. The plague isn’t just a disease. You can’t save everyone.
Get to know it, winning the affection of the locals and gaining allies, or try to carve your path alone. Explore the Town, its inhabitants, and their traditions; fight both the plague itself and its victims; try to make a difference before the time runs out.
Figure out who killed your father while fighting a deadly plague. It’s up to you to assume his mantle of the town’s Chief Medic.
Find your alleged twin sister. Was she the one who had brought the plague to this town?
The local kids are hiding something. Try playing by their rules.
You only have 12 days.

Fourth Game: Resident Evil Game Series

Game Poster

Thoughts about the Games

So I have been told many times to play this series because it’s notoriously known for the horror and puzzles in the games. I have been a big fan of the Resident Evil movies but I never actually played the games before. I have been meaning to try them out eventually. I will list them below.

Game Order and Plots
  1. Resident Evil: Biohazard (2016 Remastered)
Game Plot

Before the mansion, before the destruction of Raccoon City, there was Resident Evil 0. Now remastered with improved visuals and sounds, as well as the all-new Wesker Mode, there’s never been a better time to experience the origins of the Resident Evil story.

1. Resident Evil 2: Biohazard
Game Plot

A deadly virus engulfs the residents of Raccoon City in September of 1998, plunging the city into chaos as flesh-eating zombies roam the streets for survivors. An unparalleled adrenaline rush, gripping storyline, and unimaginable horrors await you. Witness the return of Resident Evil 2.

1. Resident Evil 3
Game Plot

Jill Valentine is one of the last remaining people in Raccoon City to witness the atrocities Umbrella performed. To stop her, Umbrella unleashes their ultimate secret weapon: Nemesis! It also includes Resident Evil Resistance, a new 1 vs 4 online multiplayer games set in the Resident Evil universe.

1. Resident Evil 4: Biohazard
Game Plot

Special agent Leon S. Kennedy is sent on a mission to rescue the U.S. President’s daughter who has been kidnapped.

1. Resident Evil 5: Biohazard
Game Plot

In Resident Evil 5, returning hero Chris Redfield is sent to Africa to investigate a biological weapon that is transforming the populace into aggressive and disturbing creatures. Joined by another local BSAA agent, Sheva Alomar, the two must work together to solve the truth behind the frightening turn of events. Featuring a revolutionary new co-op mode of gameplay, Resident Evil 5 will let players experience fear together as terror moves out of the shadows and into the light of day. The PC version of Resident Evil 5 features online play for co-operative play sessions over the internet and will also take advantage of NVIDIA’s new GeForce 3D Vision technology (wireless 3D Vision glasses sold separately). [Capcom]

1. Resident Evil 6: Biohazard
Game Plot

Resident Evil favorites Leon S. Kennedy, Chris Redfield, and Ada Wong are joined by new characters, including Jake Muller, to face a new horror, the highly virulent C-virus, as the narrative moves between North America, the war-torn Eastern European state of Edonia and the Chinese city of Lanshiang. With four distinct, yet interwoven story threads, each with their pair of protagonists for either solo or co-op play, both offline and online, not only will Resident Evil 6 deliver both different perspectives and gameplay styles but, with the introduction of the innovative Crossover mechanic players will be able to team up and share the horror. At key moments during the game, up to four players can join together online to tackle a specific situation, with some stages seeing the usual partnerships swapped to further increase the depth of gameplay.

1. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
Game Plot

Set in modern-day rural America and taking place after the dramatic events of Resident Evil® 6, players experience the terror directly from the first-person perspective. Resident Evil 7 embodies the series’ signature gameplay elements of exploration and tense atmosphere that first coined “survival horror” some twenty years ago; meanwhile, a complete refresh of gameplay systems simultaneously propels the survival horror experience to the next level.

Fifth Game: Alien Game Series

Game Poster

Thoughts about the Game

Everyone has seen or even heard of Aliens. It’s an iconic movie series that still inspires movies and more sequel/prequels in its franchise! The Alien game series takes the suspense and horror that the Xenomorphs caused in the movies to a whole another level in the games. The reason the game gets to anyone who plays it is that you are not watching a movie you are controlling the character who has to survive the attack and kill the Xenos. This game series is one of the hardest games I have played before. I loved the Alien: Colonial Marines it made me jump at certain moments in the game!

Games and Plots
  1. Alien: Isolation
Game Plot

HOW WILL YOU SURVIVE?

Discover the true meaning of fear in Alien: Isolation, a survival horror set in an atmosphere of constant dread and mortal danger. Fifteen years after the events of Alien™, Ellen Ripley’s daughter, Amanda enters a desperate battle for survival, on a mission to unravel the truth behind her mother’s disappearance.

As Amanda, you will navigate through an increasingly volatile world as you find yourself confronted on all sides by a panicked, desperate population and an unpredictable, ruthless Alien.

Underpowered and underprepared, you must scavenge resources, improvise solutions and use your wits, not just to succeed in your mission, but to simply stay alive.

Overcome an ever-present deadly threat – Experience persistent fear as a truly dynamic and reactive Alien uses its senses to hunt you down and respond to your every move.

Improvise to survive – Hack systems, scavenge for vital resources and craft items to deal with each situation. Will you evade your enemies, distract them or face them head-on?

Explore a world of mystery and betrayal – Immerse yourself in the detailed setting of Sevastopol, a decommissioned trading station on the fringes of space. Encounter a rich cast of inhabitants in a world scarred by fear and mistrust.

When she left Earth, Ellen Ripley promised her daughter Amanda she would return home for her 11th birthday. Amanda never saw her again.

Fifteen years later, Amanda, now a Weyland-Yutani employee, hears that the flight recorder of her mother’s ship, the Nostromo, has been recovered at the remote trading station Sevastopol. The temptation for her to finally understand what happened is too much to resist. When the crew arrives at Sevastopol, they find something is desperately wrong. It all seems to be connected to an unknown menace, stalking and killing deep in the shadows.

To uncover the truth about her mother, Amanda is forced to confront the same terrifying thing that separated them.

2 Aliens: Colonial Marines Collection

Game Plot

You and your friends are the deadliest killers in the galaxy. Another glorious day in the Corps.

Buckle up, soldier! Welcome to Aliens™: Colonial Marines. Created by Gearbox, the critically acclaimed and fan-favorite developers of Borderlands and Brothers In Arms, you and your friends will become the most badass military outfit in the galaxy – the US Colonial Marines. It’s up to you to not just survive but wipe out the Xeno infestation.

1. Aliens vs Predator
Game Plot

Bringing the legendary war between two of science-fiction’s most popular characters to FPS fans, AvP delivers three outstanding single-player campaigns and provides untold hours of unique 3-way multiplayer gaming.

Experience distinctly new and thrilling first-person gameplay as you survive, hunt and prey in the deadly jungles and swamps surrounding the damned colony of Freya’s Prospect.

Sixth Game: Sable Maze Game Series

Game Poster

Thoughts about the Game

I have played the first three games of this series. I considered a decent horror game because of the storyline. It’s not like Resident Evil or any of those type games but they still hold their own in the game industry. Each game based in a different location with it’s own a dark twist to it. Sadly, they removed two of the games I played but I can still play them but no can purchase them now. They are hidden object games with a good plotline to it and some jump scares if you aren’t expecting it.

Game Order and Plots
  1. Sable Maze: Sullivan River
Summary

Every night you have the same nightmare. You see children wandering through a maze, crying for help. These sleepless nights are ruining your waking life. To stop them, you must return to Sullivan River Summer Camp to uncover what happened during that long-forgotten summer. Beware though, this camp isn’t all that it seems. With every step, you can feel eyes watching you. Reveal the secret of the ancient labyrinth in this eerie Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game.

1. Sable Maze Twelve Fears
Game Plot

Confront your fears… You thought you’d have a nice day at the local fair, but trouble strikes – in the form of fear. Your daughter’s lost in the Maze of Fears, but you’ll face more than her disappearance if you dare to enter.

1. Sable Maze: Soul Catcher
Game Plot

After 20 years, you’ve finally come to terms with the fact that your brother is gone for good. But when you return to the place where he went missing to pay your final respects, you find yourself pulled into a strange maze filled with spirits and shadows. Evidence of your brother litters your path, and you begin to wonder… Could he still be alive, somewhere in the maze?

1. Sable Maze: Sinister Knowledge
Summary

After years of speculation, the McCordan Library has finally been found! Rumor has it that this labyrinthine library was built to house five legendary tomes, but a series of puzzles and traps guards them. You’ve been called in to overcome these tricky obstacles and track down the tomes, but you quickly realize why he hid them in the first place… The power they contain could destroy the entire world if they fall into the wrong hands! Navigate the treacherous maze as books come alive around you in this exciting hidden-object puzzle adventure game!

5: Sable Maze: Nightmare Shadows

Game Plot

What starts as a peaceful evening quickly turns dark as you plunge into a world made of your nightmares! In this world filled with dangerous shadows, it’s up to you to delve into your memories and escape into reality. Do you have what it takes to face your fears and escape before time runs out?

Seventh Game: Dead Space

Game Poster

Summary

I can officially say this game terrified me when I first played it. Both I and my sister tried to play it but we couldn’t make it 5 minutes without screaming. I was a pre-teen at the time when I tried to play this game. The music is creepy along with the creatures in the game. I can handle Resident Evil but not this game and I’ve been watching Resident Evil from an even younger age than 12 years old. Never again will I try to play this game either or the sequel. It’s the one game that has ruined a lullaby for me. I will never listen to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star with the same feelings for it now. Even talking about it now is making me cringe while typing this.

Game Order and Plots
  1. Dead Space
Game Plot

You are Isaac Clarke, an engineer on the spacecraft USG Ishimura. You’re not a warrior. You’re not a soldier. You are, however, the last line of defense for the remaining living crew.

1. Dead Space
Dead Space 2

Three years after the Necromorph infestation aboard the USS Ishimura, Isaac Clarke awakens from a coma, confused, disoriented, and on a space station called The Sprawl. Explore this world and its zero-g environments to discover the truth about the Unitology and its role in the Necromorph epidemic.

These are all the games I’m listing for now. You can add games to the list if you would like too. Please list the games you think is the best horror game!

@Announcements
@Discussions

9 Likes
  • FNAF, pretty much an Indie classic
  • Try to fall asleep, I’ve been obsessed with it lately
3 Likes

I’ve heard of the first one but I’ve never played it before. What is the Try to fall asleep game?

2 Likes

Basically, your character has a traumatic head injury and now they’re trying to fall asleep. But the catch is, their i jury is causing them to hallucinate and get stressed out. If they get too stressed, they die.

There’s also the dream portion of the game after you fall asleep where you try to complete minigames and piece together your memory of the incident that caused you injury. It’s really cheap right now on Steam (8 bucks iirc), highly recommend it

2 Likes

Nice, I will check it out then! I love games like that usually!

1 Like

Little Nightmares

• I love the graphics and the take in japanese culture.
1 Like

I will look them up. I’m going to gradually add more games in later posts on this thread. I love Japanese games they can be the best sometimes.

Silent hill is so good I love it too much.

As for the Blair witch game I found it a little boring :grimacing:

I think SCP containment breach counts as a horror game, I really like the unity remake of it.

2 Likes

YES! THIS!

1 Like

I heard Amnesia was good, but I never played the video game though

My favourites are:

• Sophie’s curse
    It’s pretty scary once you reach 12:00 but it’s less scarier when you play it with friends. I suggest you to try it if you are up for a good scare :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• Emily wants to play
    I watched a youtuber play it but also i have played it at a friend’s house. It’s kinda scary but it mostly makes you nervous because depending on the characters who scare you, you have to do certain things. It’s a good one :+1:

• Evil
    I have also watched the same youtuber play it but no words…see for yourself :eyes:

These are my faves!

• Resident Evil 2 (remake)

• Layers of fear (Absolutely beautiful game, spooky too! But regardless… Awesome.)

• Outlast 2 (Oh my god this game was terrifying… But really good!)

• Resident evil 7, Biohazard (Also really good game!)

• Virtual house (This might be a free to play game? It starts off normal, but then…)

• Blair witch (Pretty tame in my opinion, It was cool tho! But after a while it got a lil boring)

3 Likes

Added a horror and games tag

3 Likes

Omg @WolfGamerGirl37 you should play tomb raider, I couldn’t finish because I got stuck but it’s awesome :joy:

I think I either played it on the PS3 or PS4

2 Likes

Lol I will try it out then! I have Tomb Raider Anniversary on my computer right now. I’m trying to finish the game right now. I’m trying to play the whole game series for Tomb Raider.

2 Likes

Silent Hill 2

3 Likes

I have never actually played that game but I have seen videos where people talked about it.

2 Likes

It’s the scariest game ever :eyes:

2 Likes

Interesting, I probably won’t play since I can’t even play Dead Space without freaking out still.

2 Likes

Omgjdj Silent Hillll!!!
That game is so scary oh my-

3 Likes