Bi Erasure in Writing

I mean, being LGBTQ isn’t a choice. I would certainly be straight if God came to me and asked me what sexuality I wanted to be. I’d rather not get the abuse we get as LGBTQ people

5 Likes

True.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how I feel about the idea of being “forced”, either. I mean, we aren’t the MCs and I feel like some straight people need to get over the fear of watching a gay person have an interesting story

4 Likes

…I am a plant. :seedling::sunglasses:

9 Likes

A tea plant :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

:rofl::heart:

2 Likes

I hate it when the MC is bisexual, but the love interests are all male, and there’s one female LI who the author never focuses on…:woman_facepalming::man_facepalming:

5 Likes

When I mean forced, I meant that they give the reader no option to reject the other love interest throughout the story.

2 Likes

I used to hate it when they have Bisexual Mcs but have one female love interest with a buttload of male ones. I was different though. Before I changed my story, I had like 4 female love interests with 3 male ones.

5 Likes

:clap: THIS.

You put this into the perfect sentence I never could.

5 Likes

Yeah I have to admit to that! Haha. Passing as straight just makes my life so much easier. Especially considering the fact that I often lose friends or get attacked when I come out to a new group of people

4 Likes

I’ve always wondered why it was so hard for people to understand that bi people exist anD ARE VALID.

I’ve seen authors get attacked for having their bi characters date someone of the opposite sex and have them accused of being straight and I’m like ??? no?? The same thing happens if they’re dating someone of the same sex! If they say they’re bi, then they’re bi.

WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR PEOPLE TO ACCEPT THAT?
You don’t get a say in other people’s sexuality, end of.

disappears because this is my most aggressive post yet. I am anger.

11 Likes

So, so true! And I hate when the authors deny the sexuality, too. I love Buffy, but hearing willow say “I’m gay now” when she’s had obvious sexual attraction for two guys and still kinda loves Oz when she’s with Tara? Well, it makes me angry :joy: she’s clearly bi

4 Likes

RUGHT? I hate it when characters force bi characters to “pick a side”. I feel like bi people get attacked a lot for “not being bi” and it although it mainly comes from monosexuals, I’ve seen a few bisexuals do it too and it’s quite frustrating. For example if you date more men than women you will be told you’re mostly straight when you identify as bisexual. If you date more women than than you’re told your mostly gay and I’m like that’s not how it works!

8 Likes

Exactly!!

3 Likes

Bump!

2 Likes

I just read this and I so agree with and can relate to everything you said @ShanniiWrites

4 Likes

I’m glad you agree! It’s so frustrating!

2 Likes

Does that mean straight?

Being attracted to one gender (It’s not exclusive to hets.)

4 Likes