Bi Erasure in Writing

So, I am an openly bisexual woman. I’ve identified as bisexual since I was about 16 years old and my relationship with my sexuality has developed and changed over time. I experience what might be known as “compulsory heterosexuality” – it is much easier for me to identify with my heterosexual feelings than my homosexual ones because straight relationships are easier to get into.

What I mean by that is the fact that people kinda expect you to be straight until you make them think otherwise. Straightness is treated as the “default” state. That means that people are more open about their heterosexual attraction and I find that straight people are much more likely to get offended when you show same-sex attraction to them than gat people do when you should opposite-sex attraction to them. It means that I, as a bisexual woman, tend to just stick to dating men because it’s what’s expected of me and makes my dating life much easier.

And with all of that in mind, there’s something I really want to speak about: bi erasure. Just because I mainly date men (out of ease), it doesn’t make me straight. It just means I’m a bi woman who mainly dates men. But there’s so much to bi erasure that makes me openly uncomfortable in writing and the media in general.

Bi Erasure

So what exactly is bi erasure? Well, I’m going to write a blog post all about it eventually, but here’s a basic definition:

Bi erasure, a short form of bisexual erasure, is the act of ignoring, explaining away, or otherwise dismissing bisexuality in culture, media, or history. – Dictionary.com

And that happens in many, many different ways. I can give you a few examples from my own life.

1. Someone telling you to “just pick sides” because there’s “no such thing as bisexuality”.
  2. People assuming your bisexuality was “just a phase” as soon as you’re in a proper relationship.
  3. People saying you’re “gay now” or “straight now” as soon as you settle down in a committed relationship.

In the media, one of the biggest issues that bi erasure causes is previously straight characters being “retconned” as gay to give them a same-sex partner, instead of just saying it how it is: they’re bi. They showed sexual and romantic interests in both men and women at some point in their lives.

Bi Erasure in Buffy

I’ve been watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer recently. I absolutely love the show! And most of the jokes have aged surprisingly well! In fact, many of them are downright relevant even 20 years later. And Willow’s relationship with Tara is one of my favourite relationships in the whole show! However, there’s one thing that makes me feel a little bit uncomfortable whenever it’s brought up.

That’s the fact that the writers made Willow choose to identify as “gay” or “lesbian” as soon as she’s in a committed relationship with a woman. Now that’s, of course, Willow’s choice to identify in whatever way she wants to. My only problem with that is the fact that she was clearly romantically and physically attracted to Oz before she found Tara. And she was definitely physically attracted to Xander before Oz (and during her relationship with Oz)!

So why is it that she’s suddenly straight-up gay as soon as she’s attracted to women? Of course, back then we saw sexuality in a very different light. It’s fair enough for her to come to that kind of self-identification. But now? 20 years later? People are still calling Willow straight-up gay and that makes me annoyed. I certainly hope they correct that in the revamp that I don’t even think needs to happen.

But I still love Buffy and I reccomend it to anyone! It’s much more annoying that people still talk about Willow’s explicit lesbianism now than the fact that she identified as lesbian in the late 90s and early 00s.

Bi Erasure on Episode

Episode has its own issues with bi erasure that really annoy me – and many of its issues come from the community itself! One of the big ones is the whole “choose your love interest” aspect of some stories. For me, that’s a giant leap forward. The main character finds herself attracted to two people and they’re of two different sexes. Been there! But then the reaction to this by readers and other writers (especially around the time that the LGBTQ shelves come out) really worries me.

They say “love interest choice isn’t real LGBTQ representation”.

What?! How?! Why would you even think that? Why would anyone think that the portrayal of a bisexual experience like that isn’t LGBTQ representation?! What exactly do you think the B in LGBTQ stands for?

Sure, some writers handle LI choices terribly. They make it seem like the same-sex choice is just randomly attracted to the MC when the MC shows no interest in them whatsoever. Or they just tack it onto the end. I’m thinking of two Episode Featured stories in particular when I say this: Emerald and that one where you fake-date a gang member actor dude to help him with his acting career and the undercover police officer is randomly attracted to the MC at the end – when the MC shows very little attraction until a few chapters before the end.

That makes it seem like LGBTQ characters are always badly written – or that a bi character’s love interest choices are just there to appease gay people. If you’re going to have romance LGBTQ options, you have a few options. Give people the choice to show no attraction to same-sex characters if you want them to be gay. Make it clear from the start that the character is bisexual. Do a mixture of the two.

However, that doesn’t mean that all romance choices are inherently poor representation. If we’re willing to accept love triangles in our stories, why is it such a leap that someone who has a love triangle with a man and a woman is bisexual? Why are we forgetting that bi people exist in the first place? I have the same discussion with people whenever an LGBTQ shelf comes out and it’s getting really tiring.

What This Does to Bi Representation

What this means for us – this bi erasure – is that the only characters that are specifically referred to as “bi” are the promiscuous or extremely sexually open characters. Since as soon as they settle down, their sexuality is assumed by the gender of their partner – and if they end up in a committed relationship with someone new, they just change from straight to gay or vice versa.

That then gives off this impression that all of us bi people out here are promiscuous. That our bisexuality disappears as soon as we get with someone. That anyone who says they’re bi is either in a polyamorous relationship or they just sleep around with everyone they meet. That’s not a good image for us and it really does affect the way people treat us.

Help me raise awareness of bi erasure. LGBTQ option? Why not try making the MC explicitly bi for a change? Why don’t we change the way we talk about LGBTQ people a little?

I can’t force you to do anything, but it would really help people like me massively.

If you read all of this, thank you so much!

26 Likes

I even saw a bisexual even say this and I was just–Oof.

5 Likes

Go Off QUEEN!

4 Likes

It frustrates me so much! Don’t we all have choice in who we date? Why is it an issue that bisexual people have cross-gender choice? That doesn’t make us any less LGBTQ!

8 Likes

Yeah but they like to pick and choose and dismiss who’s in and who’s not. It’s really sad and messed up. The gate-keeping needs to stop.

5 Likes

I’m lucky that I haven’t come across the ‘bisexuality isn’t real’ thing in my life as much as others, but it has happened. It’s true as well, dating the opposite sex is just easier. That doesn’t mean I don’t find men attractive.

It’s super annoying

5 Likes

People need to start learning that Bisexuality is NOT just a phase.

Bisexual people in straight relationships are still bisexual people. This one teacher in our school told us in class once “Bisexual people don’t exist.”

Of course, they do exist. Like what? It’s really annoying. :relieved:

11 Likes

Lol that bugs me so much! “Of course we exist! What am I! A bloody leprechaun?”

8 Likes

Yeah. And the worst part is so many people think that when they can see for themselves bi people. In our country, you’d rarely even meet a bi though.

5 Likes

I can kind of relate to this.

I mean, I was partially bisexual in my freshman year of high school, but I’m almost completely ace now.

Now that I think about it, why is it harder to find bisexual men than it is bisexual women in media and Episode?

10 Likes

I myself am also bisexual and it frustrates me when people say “it’s not real” of course it’s real. I’m not making up the fact I feel attacted to guys and girls.

In episode stories it kinda used to frustrate me, in some stories I’d say I was bi then the author would give me no choice in who I had as a love interest and there was no way you would know my character was bisexual, it’s never mentioned or anything it’s like a secret inbetween me and the MC. It’s like my character is assumed to only be into same-sex relationships or opposite sex relationships.

Most of the time I’ve noticed that the option to be bisexual will give the same options it would to a straight person. For example, if my character was female and I picked the bisexual option the options for love interest are all opposite sex. If I were to choose the option to be Lesbian obviously all the love interests would be same sex. So why is bisexuality being treated the same as heterosexuality? Ease of the author?

The author could at least give me options of boy and girl love interests if I pick the option to be bisexual, otherwise they might aswell not give me the choice.

10 Likes

It’s even easier than that as well. The amount it comes up naturally in my every day life is way more than authors try to make out. You’ll catch me saying ‘he’s gorgeous’ or ‘she’s hot as hell’ and talking about past relationships here and there when it comes up.

It does come up, just as much as you’ll hear about straight people talking about their attraction and past relationships.

4 Likes

I don’t think I know many gay/bi people. Probably talked to 10 or so in the past ten years that are openly gay/lesbian and like 2 or 3 of them are bisexual and I only know because I’ve seen them with men and women, not because they told me or were talking about who they liked.

If I know more, they dont talk about it. Maybe I just don’t get out enough.

4 Likes

Same. Or, like, self deprecating jokes are fine when they’re told by the actual gay/bi people. We love those too :joy:

5 Likes

So does this mean that people exclude bisexuals when you say Bi Erasure?

It’s even weird how people stereotype bisexuals as the sex maniac when that’s not necessarily true. You have straights and gays that can be sex maniacs.

About asexuality, I do hear idiots say really stupid things like, “But you’re gonna fall in love some day.” or “No such thing as asexuality! Only plants can be asexual.”

3 Likes

Not necessarily. There’s nothing wrong with just not including a bi person in your story. The problem is when people call an obviously bi person either gay or straight or tell them to “pick sides”. Or when people say a bi character shouldn’t qualify for an LGBTQ shelf. Many times, when there’s a gender LI option for an episode story, it means that the MC is bi, but people treat it like it’s fake representation

6 Likes

I’m sorry but that is the stupidest thing that I’ve ever heard
tenor

6 Likes

Oh yeah that’s true. It’s strange when people tell a bisexual to pick one gender.

As long as my MC gets to reject the female love interest, I’m okay with it. I don’t like it when it’s being forced like I remember in one of the stories I read, the author forced this character to be bisexual which made me really uncomfortable.

I always get confused when someone says “Being gay or bi is not a choice.” We can say that being mentally ill is not a choice but that can be for another topic.

4 Likes

At first, I thought you were shading me but I realised that you quoted it. Asexuality is a thing and there is nothing wrong with that.

4 Likes