🔭 Black Holes - Quantum Mechanics or General Relativity? 🔭

What’s paranormal about that?

1 Like

See those green things? We don’t know what they are.

1 Like

The image looks fairly dark. Aside from that, it could be lighting when you took the image

1 Like

Maybe, but I don’t think it’d appear like that. We were also a mile away from the road, so it wasn’t headlights or anything. I’m just going to stick with the paranormal idea.

1 Like

You do you ~

1 Like

I just think the idea of spirts is fascinating, and it’s interesting to know there’s something there sense I don’t believe in god.

1 Like

Black holes are so fascinating tbh loved reading this

Woaw great advice

2 Likes

Can’t be too sure with some of the people I’ve met here. Gotta be real concise

2 Likes

It’s true. They suck everything in them.

2 Likes

Can we throw my sister in a black hole?

2 Likes

If you could manage to build a ship that could sustain her for the length of time it took to fly to one

2 Likes

OMG YEAH SAME CAN I TOO BUT INSTEAD MY BROTHER PLEASE WOAH

1 Like

Well, yeah. That’s not possible.

2 Likes

Yet ~

2 Likes

rubs hands together, supervillain style

2 Likes

Black Holes, yes :star_struck:

2 Likes

If anyone wanted to know, here is the Interstellar rendition of the black hole

Interstellar' Visual Effects Team Publishes Black Hole Study | Space

3 Likes

So if I could fly very very very fast time would stop for me? What would happen if I flew a bit faster than the stopping point? :eyes::eyes:

Do all black holes have a kind of orange glow around them or does every black hole have differently coloured rings? :eyes::sparkles:

What would happen if 2 black holes came close enough to each other to influence each other? Would they collide? Or would one of them pull the other one inside of it? :eyes::eyes:

And what do you mean by the only way being down? Would I fall to my death? :eyes::eyes:

Are there forces even smaller than the gravity force? :eyes::sparkles:

3 Likes

I’ve actually learned that you get spaghettified from a supermassive black hole through my Earth science teacher :stuck_out_tongue:

Just out of curiosity, what do you think is the fourth dimension? Do you think it’s spacetime, or do you disagree that 4th dimension is spacetime?

Also just wanted to share a cool fact that I’ve researched in school that there was an experiment conducted by Chien-Shiung Wu using the isotope cobalt-60, and that experiment went against the idea of parity symmetry, the idea that is impossible to figure out whether we live in a regular universe or a mirror universe.

1 Like

If you could fly very very very fast, then yes, time would appear to stop for you. As far as we know, there is nothing faster in the universe than light. To travel that speed, you’d already be condensing your mass into a small fraction of it, while growing denser and denser with speed. But light speed, you’d have to be weightless while still keeping mass. That’s also why light itself is weird because of the wave-particle duality it can present itself as.

So the short answer is that we don’t know what happens faster than light, but it’s not likely that time will start flowing backwards at that point. If you were looking at a cartesian graph with space and time on both axes, once you reach light speed, and zero time moving, you can’t really back into negatives. Just like in a vector graph (those classic -16t^2 equations), when you calculate the arc of the object, the hight you start with has to be positive. You can’t step back into the wall or into the ground to get the full path.

Black holes aren’t orange; those are just the colours map chosen by the ETH researchers. White is the brightest emissions; black is the lowest. The fading hues of red and orange are somewhere closer to the white side. Black holes can’t be photographed because they capture light, so the image is just the matter that lingers around.

I actually love this one. Black holes clash all the time, and it’s an awesome thing to see artificially rendered. The other thing to note is that we don’t have images for this one, all computer simulations. This one is a good example.

Long story short, they combine. There are a lot of fireworks with the waves they send off for us to track (I think the most recent example is 2017).

The easiest way to explain you being tugged ‘down’ is in a black hole is because when most people picture it, we get the faulty two-dimensional model. If that was the case, then yes, there is a ‘down’ direction.

Ew

If gravity is the absence of space-time and black holes are pure gravity,  does it mean that black holes are gaps in the space-time fabric? - Quora

Or fancy inaccurate stuff

Curving Spacetime: Mind-Boggling Facts about Black Holes | WTTW Chicago

No matter which direction you approach the black hole, you’ll see the same makeup of the accretion discs being warped all around, making it look like a flat hole. Of course, it’s a three-dimensional object so any way you advance, you’re being pulled toward the centre in one distinct direction.

Oh yeah, plenty from a physics standpoint. The big four are still gravitational, electromagnetism, strong and weak, but the word ‘force’ as a whole can encompass many more. Most of these are subdivisions of gravity on a controlled surface like Earth. With that in mind, you can have air resistance, tension, applied, friction, normal, and spring forces. Those are all contact forces, something has to be touching the object to make it move the way it does.

2 Likes