BLM - Resources Thread

@Announcements
@Discussions

This is a link to every way you can help the families of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Regis Korchinski, Tony McDade and many, many more victims of police brutality. It only takes a few seconds to sign a petition or donate. Do something:

A black trans activist called Charles Preston has made a public google doc for everybody to read to educate themselves and study. Here is the link:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bz011IF2Pu9TUWIxVWxybGJ1Ync

And for any black users on here feeling distressed about current events, mixed-race actress Maya Richardson has made a Twitter thread to support black mental health. The link is here:

@Yomama:

It is not enough to be ā€œnot racistā€. You need to be anti-racist and working towards dismantling white supremacy. Silence isnā€™t good enough.

If Iā€™m making you feel uncomfortable, you should be. If you consider yourself an ally, now is the time to prove it.

29 Likes

Hereā€™s a google doc that has a bunch of resources to sign petitions, donate, and educate yourself on police brutality and the Black Lives Matter movement

Please check out the doc, share it, and donate if you can please

10 Likes

Iā€™m not comfortable contacting authorities without my parents permission. When I had to watch the show ā€˜What Would You Do?ā€™ For class, I would say that if my mom was not around, and it was just me, I would probably stand up. But ima teen that does not want to get hurt or in trouble
Sorry :pensive:

2 Likes

You donā€™t have to contact the authorities to help. If you have any other social medias Bexs, you can post the links from the OP on there to get your friends to help. Use Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat etc. You can also ask your parents to donate.

5 Likes

You can sign petitions for free and you wonā€™t get hurt or in trouble for it

6 Likes

The officer who killed George Floyd was arrested and charged with 3rd degree murder and manslaughter, you should probably include that.

Bad cops get all the media attention, they never talk about all the cops that do amazing things.

1 Like

3rd degree murder and manslaughter is for accidental deaths. George Floyd was murdered on purpose on camera. Yes, progress has been made, but itā€™s not enough, especially as the other officers involved have not been prosecuted. In the link are petitions to charge the officer properly and the others involved.

The police have always done this, itā€™s just getting filmed more often. ā€œGood copsā€ have always been praised. This is why Floydā€™s murderer isnā€™t getting the full punishment. This is why people refuse to acknowledge police brutality, because the first response is ā€œnot allā€ and ā€œnot meā€ when in reality it IS because we are all connected to this.

9 Likes

And those charges are false. Thatā€™s not enough

It was a 1st-degree murder.

6 Likes

He knew the guy beforehand, right? Werenā€™t they coworkers or something?

4 Likes

He should be in prison for hos entire lifetime!

5 Likes

Iā€™m gonna quote what I told my friend yesterday:

ā€œThey knew each other (as co-workers) for 17 years. 17 fā€“king years.ā€

He deserves the worst punishment possible. If George Stinney got the electric chair at 14, thenā€¦ ainā€™t no problem with a murdering cop getting the death penalty either.

3 Likes

Derek Chauvin doesnā€™t deserve such a light sentence. Heā€™s supposed to be charged with first degree murder. Heā€™s comrades are supposed to be charged too.

This is what the U.S. constitution defines as murder:

Murder is the unlawful killing of a human being with malice aforethought. Every murder perpetrated by poison, lying in wait, or any other kind of willful, deliberate, malicious, and premeditated killing; or committed in the perpetration of, or attempt to perpetrate, any arson, escape, murder, kidnapping, treason, espionage, sabotage, aggravated sexual abuse or sexual abuse, child abuse, burglary, or robbery; or perpetrated as part of a pattern or practice of assault or torture against a child or children; or perpetrated from a premeditated design unlawfully and maliciously to effect the death of any human being other than him who is killed

Itā€™s written that if this occurs then itā€™s first degree murder yet Derek is being charged with second degree. The whole god damn video literally embodies the definition of murder in the first degree.

4 Likes

First-degree murder is killing someone with full intent and planning it beforehand.

Manslaughter is accidentally killing someone. Third-degree murder is negligent homicide.

Chauvin killed George with full intent and planned it, seeing as he worked with him for 17 years.

4 Likes

Can I get a source for this? Iā€™m not doubting you, Iā€™ve just looked in a bunch of places and I cant find any article that says this

2 Likes

Sure.

(This is just a video)

But they most likely knew each other.

4 Likes

Thank you. In the article it also says;

ā€œAlthough Floyd and Chauvin worked at the nightclub at the same time, Santamaria said she doesnā€™t believe they knew each other since they worked in different areas.ā€

It was probably just a coincidence, but I feel so bad. George seems so sweet, and nothing justifies being killed like that.

2 Likes

He was a nice guy, yeah. His death was heartbreaking

3 Likes

How to protest safely. From AOC

How to protect protestorsā€™ identities when sharing videos and photos:

Note: Some protestors are giving consent for their faces to be shared. If they publically give permission, then you do not have to cover their face

On another note, most of the BLM centered conversations are happening on @Yomamaā€™s thread so I am reccomending that if you have any thoughts on the matter to post there so that this thread can remain clear and easy to read for anyone looking for resources and information.

3 Likes

(Iā€™m going to also post this on this thread, as well as the BLM one, to make sure as many people who want to help see it :wink: )

If anyone else would like a way to contribute:

Watch this video - or you donā€™t have to watch it, just have it playing in the background of what youā€™re doing - and thereā€™s links to so many petitions in the description.

If you chose to do this, here is what I have found in the comments section:

1. Donā€™t watch on repeat
  2. Donā€™t watch it in a playlist
  3. Donā€™t fast forward or skip
  4. Donā€™t skip the advertisements
  5. Donā€™t pause the video
  6. Watch with at least 480p and half the volume
  7. After watching this, watch 3 to 5 any other videos then search this video (donā€™t click it from your watch history) and watch it again
  8. Donā€™t clear watch and search history
  9. Comment and like this video
  10. Share this in your social media platforms
5 Likes

Bump
If you have any productive articles, websites, videos etc please share here.