Books to Get You Through Lockdown

So, anyone has any good suggestions on what books to read during this lockdown? Or are you reading any books right now? Feel free to discuss!

Personally I have been reading 2 of my Dutch childhood books again that were still at my parents, but that’s it unfortunately… I wish I had some of my books I have at my own place, like the Harry Potter and lord of the rings series…

2 Likes

One of my alters wants to read harry potter and the philosophers stone. She doesn’t remember ever finishing it.

Personally I wish I still had the POJ series at mine instead of at my mothers :frowning_face: But I never did finish the HOO series I still have the Blood of Olympus to read. Never got a chance before my first monster was born. Maybe now is this time to finally get round to finishing it.

3 Likes

I am reading the savior’s champion right now. its good. the author jenna moreci, actually has a youtube chanel helping authors.

also if you like Joseph Evans his book the seckry sequence, is free on wattpad. though I own a real book version of it.

its also on episode but only like a couple of chapters

2 Likes

Omg you have to read the Illuminae series! It’s a sci fi and the characters are on a ship. It’s just really cool lol. It’s in the style of a documentary of what is happening on the (space) ship and there are all these “files”. It looks like its a huge book but that’s because because of all the pictures. It’s really cool and reminds me of lockdown because there are several things that go wrong on the ship that I’m not gonna say haha. It’s in the perspective of multiple characters and overall just really, really cool.

2 Likes

Sapiens: A Brief History of Human Kind by Yuval Noah Harari, I’ve read this one a few times, it’s an easy read but it’s also the kind of book that’s nice to sit with and have a thought.

Frida’s Fiestas: Recipes and Reminiscences of Life with Frida Kahlo: A Cookbook, for anyone interested in the food life of Frida Kahlo, Mexican cuisine, or who’s bored with what they’ve been eating, I loved the stuffed fried peppers.

My Father Was a Toltec: and Selected Poems by Anna Castillo, for people who can’t concentrate on books but still like consuming beautiful words.

This Bridge Called My Back, Writings by Radical Women of Color, a collection of essays edited by Cherríe Moraga and Gloria Anzaldúa. If you’re interested in radial brown lesbian feminism.

Lady Killers: Deadly Women Throughout History by Tori Telfer, if you’re interested in deadly women.

Babble by Charles Saatchi, if you’re interested in the ramblings of a dry reclusive former ad man art enthusiast and gallery owner who never gives interviews.

2 Likes

Two book I read is the titanic and Anna of green gables.
As well as the Christmas carol because I seen all movie and shows.

1 Like

If you get a chance Emily of New Moon also by L.M. Montgomery is a great series.

I was going to recommend this one too. It’s just great!

If you like Sapiens you’ll probably enjoy Factfulness: Ten Reasons We’re Wrong about the World–And Why Things Are Better Than You Think, by Hans Rosling.

image image

I would also suggest to revisit some old book series (or maybe new for you).

• The Mortal Instruments
  • Harry Potter
  • Lord of the Rings
  • The Hunger Games
  • Divergent
  • Legend
  • The Stormlight Archive (This one is “new” but sooo good!)
  • Gone
  • Chronicles of Ancient Darkness
3 Likes

I feel bad because I realized that I have the full collection of these 4 book series :grimacing:

1 Like

Same! And I’m proud :dizzy: at least of my Harry Potter and LOTR collection :heart_eyes: + the Hobbit

I’ve read How I Learned to Understand the World, but haven’t checked out Factfulness. You should check out The Irrational series by Dan Ariely.

1 Like

Oh, I read the summary of it and it seems really interesting. I’ll definitely put it on my reading list. :dizzy: (I haven’t read much the past three years but hope that I’ll get into it again!)

1 Like

If anyone is looking for some good fantasy to scratch and itch after Harry Potter, Skulduggery Pleasant is always there!

3 Likes

I’m going to re-read The Immortal Series as I really miss reading that story. Waiting for book one to arrive.

2 Likes

For family books:

• Warrior Cats by Erin Hunter
  • Guardians of the Ga’Hoole by Kathryn Lasky
  • Redwall by Brian Jacques
  • Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan
  • Children of the Lamp by Philip Kerr
  • Emily Windsnap Series by Liz Kessler
  • Once Upon a Time Series by Cameron Dokey & Others

For dark family books:

• Vampire Plagues series by Helen Hart & Ben Jeapes
  • Vampirates by Justin Somper
  • The Deptford Mice Series by Robin Jarvus
  • The Deptford Histories by Robin Jarvus
  • Spiderwick Chronicles by Holly Black & Tony DiTerlizzi
  • Silverwing Series by Kenneth Oppel
  • The Sight Series by David Clement-Davies

Adult Books:

• Dark Hunters by Sherrilyn Kenyon
  • Dark Series by Christine Feehan
  • League by Sherrilyn Kenyon
  • Love at Stake Series by Kerrelyn Sparks
  • Stephanie Plum Series by Janet Evanovich
  • Bride Quartet by Nora Roberts
  • The Cousins O’Dwyer Trilogy by Nora Roberts
  • The Macgregors by Nora Roberts
  • The Montgomerys & The Armstrongs Series by Maya Banks

@Discussions

2 Likes

@ChaoticDeluge, @CrazyCaliope, (occasionally) @fraud and I are going through the Skulduggery Pleasant series every night! Deluge is reading!

He’s very good at reading and I really wonder if I should set up a Deluge Reads channel in the server accessible via the $2 Patreon tier and up?

6 Likes

You should! Maybe once or twice a week? :heart_eyes:

His reading voice is amazing!

I think he should read Way of Kings, you would like it! :dizzy: But I guess Deluge and/or the patreons should pick it.

6 Likes

You know that isn’t a bad idea. We could rope in some readers to read books from the list for patron subscription. Only if they are willing to go through with it.

5 Likes

We were talking last night about the possibility of having Patrons submit their original stories! So potentially we could eventually have the higher-paying Patrons submit their stories and all Patrons vote on what story they would like to hear!

5 Likes

Ooo :eyes: That sounds nice hehe :heart_eyes:

3 Likes