Can Episode Please Stop It With The Mafia Stories?!

Literally, every other story on the trending page is a mafia story. Do people not realize how bad the mafia actually is and how bad it is to romanticize it or is that just me?

Oh yeah and literally every story involves a romance between the mafia leader and some girl.

9 Likes

Seriously tho, one of the main reasons I stop reading episode stories. :woman_facepalming:

4 Likes

Iā€™m literally reading the mafia stories for laughs. NONE of them actually show the horrors behind it! And one story even made this jealous LI and the LI LITERALLY KILLED THIS GUY WHO LOOKED AT HER WRONG. My mindset went to: That guy has a family. He has a mother, father (maybe just a mother, two dads or something idk) maybe even kids and a wife. He has friends and people that care about him. How can you just rip someoneā€™s life away like that from people that love him just because he said something degrading or looked at her weird? I understand how looking or speaking of a woman in a weird or degrading way is 100% wrong, but theyā€™re people! You canā€™t just kill them because of that. And the girl just was like, ā€œOmg youā€™re so jealous itā€™s so hot!ā€ ughadslfkjaslkjflkjar

5 Likes

Like, I understand. People want to make these fictional stories to have bada** characters, but like you could make a completely fictional world, make the rules to this world, then make a group of fictional villains- not the mafia kind or anything like that and have the mc of this made up world fall in love with the leader of one of them. I still wouldnā€™t call that good but at least itā€™s not basing it of the real life mafia - something that is so disgusting and terrifying aspect of life that affects actual people!

3 Likes

Exactly, the trope is dead, Iā€™m sick of seeing Mafia stories. Like, Iā€™m sorry that I get digusted when my Episode character falls in love with a murderer.

1 Like

It has gotten old.
I use to read stories that were Romanizing things just as bad as the mafia.
Iā€™m sure if I read more mafia stories, iā€™d want mafia leaders to kidnap me and love me OMG-

I actually did enjoy a mafia story on love struck it was so misleading

And I did have a crush on the characters OH NO

These stories give off a bad influence because I actually wanted this uh :flushed:

3 Likes

I think I had a crush on the hitman and the lawyer :woman_facepalming:t3:

2 Likes

Also what is problematic about a lot of these stories is that the women are always being ā€œsavedā€ by the dominant mafia leader dude. I think this trope and why people like it and maybe how it started was because of that. But there are some stories that Iā€™ve read that are like, ā€œI know Iā€™m the leader of the mafia but I donā€™t kill people unless theyā€™re at the wrong place at the wrong timeā€ and the women are powerful - but tf that doesnā€™t excuse anything? Like youā€™re still a murderer! PEOPLE ARENā€™T ACCESSORIES THAT YOU CAN JUST TAKE AWAY WHEN YOU WISH OR WHEN THEYā€™RE AT THE WRONG PLACE. All murder is wrongā€¦
Like itā€™s fine to write a story in my opinion where a fictional villain kills a bunch of peopleā€¦ thatā€™s fine. But I draw the line when you take something absolutely devasting from real life and turn it into a trope. Itā€™s disgusting.

6 Likes

I think people start writing on Episode with mafia stories. They want to get reads fast and get on trending as quick as possible. All mafia stories go the same way. MC has no money and either an abusive boyfriend or no one ever touches her, LI is a brooding, hot guy, who all the ladies want. They meet, he becomes possessive, kills anyone that looks at her, and so on.

Most of the mafia stories I have read have no actual plot other than: kill, be angry, break-up, and have s*x. Yet, they always get on trending.

The trope is problematic, and people who write mafia stories donā€™t get how harmful the trope actually is.

It isnā€™t cute. Killing people isnā€™t cute. Donā€™t romanticize the mafia. Nothing about it is cute or romantic.

4 Likes

Yeah it seriously needs to stop. Itā€™s repetitive and really toxic to romanticize killing and abusing. Itā€™s not sexy nor charming.

2 Likes

Iā€™m so sick of those types of stories. Why so many of them? Where did this obsession with the mafia come from? Iā€™ve never had any interest in those stories, so I donā€™t really get the hype. Besides, they glorify toxic relationships and behaviors.

Iā€™ve never read Chain Reaction, so I donā€™t understand why so many girls are obsessed with the LI. Iā€™ve seen a few screenshots on Instagram, and all he ever does in those screenshots is talk to the girl in a degrading way, and curse at her. He doesnā€™t use any other adjectives except for ā€˜effingā€™.

2 Likes

Bump

Reading more mafia stories on Episode lol :rofl:

Yes, purely because of how bad they are. Literally reading on rn where the MC has purple eyes.
At first I thought, ā€œOhh I probably customized her that way and forgot about it lolā€ (I like to read the first episodes of these stories lol and sometimes I save them if theyā€™re particularily bad/funny to read later) then I read the rest of the Episode where they have you customize her and they say that the eye color isnā€™t customizableā€¦ Um yeah.

In the next scene in that mafia story the LI is sleeping around with girls and yk Iā€™m just a teen but like there was just a tone of slut shaming there. Like, the girl was overly clingy while LI just didnā€™t care. Which to me, is disgusting. I donā€™t care about people sleeping around but I think that there should be boundaries established with each other. In these stories the author purposefully makes these girls clingy to slut shame them.

Lmao Iā€™m literally doing research for one scene involving the mafia in my story to make it as realistic as possible XD. Thereā€™s a bunch of stuff out there on the mafia but itā€™s a lot of different info so itā€™s hard to find specifically what Iā€™m looking for from a reputable source.

What Iā€™m finding so far is that mafia organizations engage in extortion rackets, where they basically say that they will protect a business via physical protection in exchange for money.

So you know in those epi stories where the MC is taken into the mafia and guaranteed protection? Yeah probably wouldnā€™t happen IRL lol. So far what Iā€™m hearing from my research is that sheā€™d have to pay up.
source:

So from this - keep in mind Iā€™ve only read like a page lol- what might be more realistic is a company owner paying people in the mafia business to protect them. The PDF (I think) also mentions that this protection can be offered to individuals as well, but again, for something in exchange.
ā€œExtortion can be exerted by individuals, or more frequently by organized groups. Only in
some cases such groups (which we label extortion racket systems: ERSs) are mafia-type
organizationsā€
Keep in mind Iā€™m not a scholar either so I might be interpreting this info wrong- if so please correct me!

For someone who has been through trauma, I find reading messed up stuff is therapeutic. Dunno about others :woman_shrugging:

One of my stories has a notorious mafia leader but sheā€™s portrayed as a raging psychopath.

Closed due to inactivity.