Can someone explain how exactly the American school system works?

I keep seeing people say that they’re freshmen, juniors or whatever and I’m still confused about how that works, so I’d appreciate an explanation :eyes::eyes:

4 Likes

Freshman - 1st year of high school
Sophomore - 2nd year of high school
Junior - 3rd year of high school
Senior - 4th year of high school

It’s like that with College too.

Freshman - 1st year of college
Sophomore - 2nd year of college
Junior - 3rd year of college
Senior - 4th year of college

Not sure if they do that with university.

4 Likes

Yeah goes like that,also important to mention the number levels.
So like when you’re in elementary that starts in the first grade, so like around when you’re 8 or something. Then there’s 2nd, third, fourth, then fifth, then sixth. I think middle school starts at 6th. That goes to 7th, then 8th.
Highschool starts at 9th when you’re a freshman, then 10th- Sophmore, then 11th, Junior, then 12th, senior.
Not sure how it works with college but that’s how it works with elementary, middle and highschool.

4 Likes

No lol
Kindergarten starts at 5 years old
Than 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th

1 Like

I never said that? I said that elementary starts when you’re 8, not kindergarten lol.

4 Likes

Oh lol

1 Like

thanks for this thread. i’ve been so confused about this :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Alright, so when you’re 5 years old you start Kindergarten. Which is the beginning of elementary school. Before that, when they’re 3-4, some kids go to preschool (sometimes referred to as pre-k), but not everyone does.
After Kindergarten, you start 1st grade when you’re 6.
Then the next years of elementary school are 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade.

When you start 6th grade, you begin middle school (sometimes called junior high) and you are there for 7th and 8th grade as well.

After middle school comes 4 years of high school.
9th grade is your freshman year
10th - sophomore
11th - junior
12th - senior year

When you graduate high school, you can choose to go to college for whatever degree you want. You don’t have to go to college, and you can go to college later in life if you desire.
College ideally has 4 years as well (freshman-senior year) though it may be different based on the number of classes you take and the requirements of your degree.
There are plenty of options for the type of school. There are options of small community colleges close to home, to larger well known universities with a full campus experience. This is where many students will choose to go to a school far from home and live on the campus.

5 Likes

My first thought seeing the topic name “Can someone explain how exactly the American school system works?”
Was “It doesn’t” Which Im pretty sure at least 80% of people who’ve gone through it can agree at least a little with that XD

1 Like

It works like rubbish.

1 Like

I was legit about to say this lmao

1 Like

Closed due to inactivity