Can someone relate?

So, I have thick hair. Like, actual thick hair. Some problems I have that my hair can cause is:

Swimming/Showers: When I swim, the chlorine makes huge knots, and it overall becomes like old Barbie hair, or just plain old disgusting.

Showers (As Well as Bed): When I take a shower, the hair somewhat falls out, and clogs the drain :face_vomiting:. Applying conditioner in my hair, is a nightmare. I have to use my DIY comb, (My Hands, also fingers) to make sure the conditioner gets all in, and to remove the knots. Which comes as, MORE HAIR COMING OUT. After the shower, I can’t rub my hair in a towel, or that will cause even more knots, and I’ll cry in a corner because I can’t brush my hair. ONCE I DO, brush my hair, I usually then go to sleep couple hours after. When I wakeup, tA dA, i aM mEdUsA.

Someone, help me with tips :cry:

3 Likes

I’ve got the same problems.

For the thing with chlorine: In my pool at home I try to use not too much of it so it’s not that much of a problem.
Against the clogging of the drain: Try brushing your hair before washing them, so the already loose ones get out. And I wash them reeeeaaaally carefully (which takes some time but it’s worth it)
I don’t use conditioner, because it’s to annoying for me, but I have a hair oil which works pretty good for me and also helps with brushing my hair.
For some time I used those hairsprays for kids that help with untying the knots somehow.

Did you try products with silicones? Those worked for me as well, although I know they aren’t the best

1 Like

I might’ve … but I’ll take these tips because I’m in desperate need :heavy_heart_exclamation::joy:

1 Like

Moved to General Chat!

I have thick hair also, and I get knots a lot because I have thick hair and it’s long! But probably not as bad as yours though. It does come out in showers and stuff when I put shampoo/conditioner in. I just use a brush that works well on wet hair so when I brush it it’s just easier to brush.

1 Like

One word for it

#ACCURATE

i’m just glad i cut it

I feel you, girl! Plus, I’m mixed race so my hair is thick and part Afro. Worst combination ever for any kind of maintenance :confounded:. I can’t brush it. It gets everywhere. Plus, I look like I’ve got a helmet on in any kind of humidity :joy:

2 Likes

I feel ya. Mixed child, latina and african. My hair is longer but it is a mess of trouble 24/7. It’s like arghhhhhhh such a drama queen. Like me. But still. It’s a mess. Constantly looking like I have a male lions mane when I take my hair down. And don’t think of brushing it unless it’s wet XD

1 Like

Yep, I have thick hair and it’s really long, past my waist, so I know the suffering with knots. I have always been told that my hair is in lovely condition though especially considering it’s length and thickness, so a couple of things I always do,

Brush my hair before I wash it, saves getting it in the water or down the drain, just in case though, get one of those little sink hole cages that catch stuff.

When conditioning my hair, I use quite a bit and rather than massage it in in circles, I tip my head upside down and then apply it scalp to tips in a straight motion, once my hair has a decent covering, I then make sure to rub it in well, still refraining from using any rubbing in circles or messy moves. Then leave on for a good 5 minutes.

Wash out the conditioner and then again, I tip my head upside down and wrap a towel around my hair and rubbing the back off my skull first then wrapping the towel around my hair and rubbing it between my hands (sort of like spinning how you would a twig to start a fire motion) but gently and keep going root to tip, this will prevent tangles.

Once that is done I use a good quality Argan Oil spray, give a fine and gentle mist over my hair and that not only leaves a nice shine when dry, but it also helps give good condition and prevent knots.

Then sectioning my hair into two sides, like pigtails, straight down the back and over each shoulder, then using a detangling brush (cheap to buy FYI, and less painful when you have tangles!) brush gently from the ends then working further up the hair, only doing a little at a time, working higher and on each side, once both sides are tangle free, dry pointing the hairdryer straight down DO NOT swoosh it side to side a lot etc, that will blow the hair everywhere and cause tangles.

Hope it helps! :smiley:

2 Likes

Closed due to inactivity. :orange_heart: