Can you fulfill your civic duty in a democratic society without voting?

I believe that in a democracy, voting is part of everyone’s civic duties because it’s essential to the functioning of any proper democracy. Now, I also don’t believe that there are no other things that people should do in a democratic society than voting, since there are lots of other ways that people contribute to society. So I’m very mixed on this issue, since there are definitely ways to get engaged with a democratic society without voting, including things like activism or volunteering.

@Discussions ~ what do you think?

1 Like

I completely agree with you. A democracy isn’t a democracy if people don’t vote – regardless of whether that’s a personal choice or by force! It can’t be the will of the people if the people aren’t expressing their will! I think there should actually be a fine for refusing to vote, along with more places where people can vote! My local polling station is down the road from me at the local primary school and it’s just embarrassing when my neighbours say they aren’t going to show up

2 Likes

I remember learning about poll taxes in US history and that as an idea is just so appalling, voting should be easily accessible to everyone

3 Likes

Exactly! As a person of colour with ancestors who were in slavery, I think it’s especially important for me to honour what my people fought for. Especially considering the large-scare voter disenfranchisement in black areas that happened under Trump!

3 Likes

It just feels like when my parents used to say “there are children starving in Africa” to make me eat my food, except it’s “your people are struggling to vote in America. There are literally racist people standing outside their stations screaming ‘stop the vote’”

3 Likes

Right, it’s really important to protect everyone’s rights to vote! Policies like that can easily be leveraged against communities with lower standing generally, which is just such a bastardization of what I think democracy should be

2 Likes

my mom just told me 'I’m wasteful" all cause I didn’t finish my breakfast.I didn’t want anymore and she just mentioned this. -.-

1 Like

Misread as demonic.

Closed due to inactivity